Kliff Kingsbury to interview with Jets

Jetsbb

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

I was about to post the same exact thing.   These college coaches aren’t really concerned with the long term development of their QBs.   They only have them for maybe 3 seasons and are concerned with winning games and championships.  They get what they can out of them and then it’s on to the next recruit.   There simply isn’t enough time to work on development, mechanics etc.. It’s all game prep and X’s and O’s    

I usually agree with you, but not sure on this one.  The only reason Iowa is remotely respectable as a program is because they develop players.  They don't get the big recruits, but always churn out NFL players.

The best coaches can do it all.  Recruit, Develop and scheme.  There just aren't many of those out there.  Usually recruiting will win out if you are picking which trait college coaches will focus on above all others.

Edit:  I see now this was more geared towards QB specifically.  Ignore this.

12 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yet everyone wanted/wants Harbaugh who could never beat his biggest rival OSU.

not a harbaugh fan but he did resurrect the careers of alex smith and kapperdink. He also turned around the 49ers from a total mess to getting them to the super bowl. He has a tiny bit more NFL cred than kliffy. 

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

A college coach lays down the fundamentals, molds the player from his rawest form.  To make it insignificant because its not the NFL is wrong.  Thats the point. 

A college Head Coach does not, his position coaches do.  The Head Coach may provide input, and may be hands on at times, but generally the Head Coach is not personally coaching/developing/mentoring their QB's.  That's why teams have Offensive Coordinators, QB Coach's and a slew of other offensives coaching staff.

Second, it's not an all or nothing proposition.  Of course college programs provide training and development to QB's.  But again, it's different that at the Pro level on a fundamental level.  And the investment is also different, as stated, college coaches are not there to develop a kid over a 10 year period to win one-two Super Bowls.  They're there trying to win that game, right then and there, and not get fired by going to the Hot Pockets Bowl.  The motivations are different as is the timeline, the offensive systems, etc.  Yes, some development happens, especially early on as redshirt freshmen.  I would maintain that we have a goodly number of examples that that does not necessarily translate to the Pro level.  

In any event, the decision is entirely out of my hands, and as a cynic I fully expect to be unhappy with their eventual choice.  I've stated what I want in a new Coach, experience as an NFL Head Coach, a resume of some Pro-level success, a history of Offensive-side experience/focus, and a history of developing young QB's at the Pro level.  It's why I support McCarthy, despite not being terribly impressed with his personality.  He has what I want when I list what I want in a vacuum.   Better still if somehow the Jets could wrangle a Gregg Williams to run the Defense along-side McCarthy.

A guy like Kingsbury needs time at the Pro level first IMO.  If he does transition to the Pro's, it should not be as a Head Coach given his resume, it should be as an O-Co or QB Coach, to prove his work can translate to the Pro-game.  That's how I see it.

9 minutes ago, Barkus said:

not a harbaugh fan but he did resurrect the careers of alex smith and kapperdink. He also turned around the 49ers from a total mess to getting them to the super bowl. He has a tiny bit more NFL cred than kliffy. 

My point being that looking at a coaches record in college shouldn't be the most important factor.  Look at Saban  or Spurrier they hardly ever lost in college but failed in the NFL.

36 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

This is my take from another thread on why I don't think Kingsbury is ready to be a HC candidate for the Jets, and why I dont want him tasked with Darnolds development. JN called me "Brain Dead". LOL. Solid poster....

Manziels game was streetball. His success was because his wild, undeveloped play coupled with an Elite WR and good Oline was good enough in the Big 12 to win.

Yea...Texas A&M is in the SEC 

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A college Head Coach does not, his position coaches do.  The Head Coach may provide input, and may be hands on at times, but generally the Head Coach is not personally coaching/developing/mentoring their QB's.  That's why teams have Offensive Coordinators, QB Coach's and a slew of other offensives coaching staff.

Second, it's not an all or nothing proposition.  Of course college programs provide training and development to QB's.  But again, it's different that at the Pro level on a fundamental level.  And the investment is also different, as stated, college coaches are not there to develop a kid over a 10 year period to win one-two Super Bowls.  They're there trying to win that game, right then and there, and not get fired by going to the Hot Pockets Bowl.  The motivations are different as is the timeline, the offensive systems, etc.  Yes, some development happens, especially early on as redshirt freshmen.  I would maintain that we have a goodly number of examples that that does not necessarily translate to the Pro level.  

In any event, the decision is entirely out of my hands, and as a cynic I fully expect to be unhappy with their eventual choice.  I've stated what I want in a new Coach, experience as an NFL Head Coach, a resume of some Pro-level success, a history of Offensive-side experience/focus, and a history of developing young QB's at the Pro level.  It's why I support McCarthy, despite not being terribly impressed with his personality.  He has what I want when I list what I want in a vacuum.   Better still if somehow the Jets could wrangle a Gregg Williams to run the Defense along-side McCarthy.

A guy like Kingsbury needs time at the Pro level first IMO.  If he does transition to the Pro's, it should not be as a Head Coach given his resume, it should be as an O-Co or QB Coach, to prove his work can translate to the Pro-game.  That's how I see it.

Again, we're not far off in our thinking.  I just think some, who dont like or want Kingsbury, are trying to sell the idea that coaching up 3 QB prospects while they were in college is insignificant and had nothing to do with their development because of the differences in the game.  I dont think you get a player, who you may have on the roster for 5 years and coach him up for one game or just a couple of games.  Thats it

As for the HCs, Ive been more than clear.  I have a few candidates I'd be fine with, dont feel strongly against any from Gase, McCarthy, Monken & LaFleur

Meet the candidates: Who the Jets are looking at for their next head coach

By Connor Hughes

Mike Maccagnan​​ wouldn’t name names, but he had no problem divulging the list of attributes he requires of the Jets’ next head coach.

Leadership. Vision. Communication abilities. The right character.

Aside from that?

“We’re going to keep all options open,” the general manager said.

With Sam Darnold living up to his draft position, the Jets have the most critical piece in place. This next coach will be the one tasked with helping Darnold reach his franchise quarterback potential. And if he’s successful in doing so, the Jets can position themselves for annual championship contention.

Or they can colossally whiff, hamper Darnold’s career and slip back into the depths of ineptitude and dysfunction.

It’s no surprise the Jets have cast such a wide net in their coaching search. They would like their guy to have experience developing a franchise quarterback, but that’s not required. An offensive-minded guy is a plus, but a defensive one is good too. They have no issue turning to the collegiate ranks and don’t believe college coaches are at a disadvantage.

The Jets are looking for the right guy. CEO Christopher Johnson and Maccagnan believe they’ll know exactly who he is once they see him.

The Jets have completed interviews with one candidate, and have requests out to talk to four more. These are just the first names on a list Johnson said would be “extensive.”

So who’s on the Jets’ radar? Here’s a rundown of their coaching search so far, which we’ll be updating as it progresses.

Name: Eric Bieniemy

Current Role: Offensive coordinator, Kansas City Chiefs

Recent stops: Offensive coordinator, Colorado (2011-2012) || Running backs coach, Chiefs (2013-2017)

Connections: Andy Reid, Brad Childress, Jon Embree, Pat Mahomes, Jamaal Charles, Chester Taylor, Adrian Peterson

The hiring process: Completed interview on Jan. 2.

Breaking it down: Yet another branch on the Andy Reid coaching tree, Bieniemy hopes to follow in the footsteps of two of the NFL’s more recent successful hires: Doug Pederson (Eagles) and Matt Nagy (Bears). While he doesn’t have any experience as a quarterbacks coach, Bieniemy oversaw Pat Mahomes during his breakout season. Mahomes threw for 5,097 yards and 50 touchdowns this year.

A former second-round pick in the 1991 draft, Bieniemy has had his most success coaching the same position he played — running back. Adrian Peterson led the NFC in rushing under Bieniemy twice (2007, 2008) and the coach helped Kareem Hunt to the NFL’s rushing title as a rookie in 2017.

Side note: By interviewing Bieniemy, the Jets satisfied the Rooney Rule. They are now free to hire a coach whenever they want. Bieniemy was not, however, interviewed just for this reason.

Word from the beat: “Eric Bieniemy is a well-respected coach who has really helped quarterback Patrick Mahomes learn and understand all the details within the Chiefs’ complex playbook the season. As a former player, Bieniemy is known for connecting with his players and motivating them to responsible for their assignments. Beyond his successful track record with running backs — Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, Spencer Ware, Kareem Hunt and Damien Williams — Bieniemy has been influential in the Chiefs’ creative designs of misdirection plays this season.

“Here’s a quote from Mahomes on Monday about Bieniemy as a possible head coach: ‘He’d be an awesome head coach. He has that mindset, work ethic and determination you need to be a head coach in this league. I know he’s had the interest, but you know he’ll still be 100 percent in on what we’re doing here. He would be an amazing coach, and I am excited I still have him here right now for this playoff run.’” – Nate Taylor, Chiefs beat writer for The Athletic

Name: Mike McCarthy

Current Role: Unemployed (fired as Packers head coach on Dec. 2)

Recent stops: Offensive coordinator, 49ers (2005) || Offensive coordinator, Saints (2000-2004) || Quarterbacks coach, Packers (1999)

Connections: Marty Schottenheimer

The hiring process: Will interview, date TBD

Breaking it down: Christopher Johnson said on Monday he’d like the next coach of the Jets to have experience developing a franchise quarterback. Well, few fit that bill as well as Mike McCarthy.

The longtime Packers head coach played a significant role in molding Aaron Rodgers into arguably the NFL’s most talented passer. What some forget, though, is that he helped revitalize Brett Favre’s career during his final year with the Packers. The veteran completed 66.5 percent of his passes and threw for 4,155 yards with 28 touchdowns and 15 interceptions in 2007.

McCarthy led the Packers to a Super Bowl title in 2011 and has a 125-77 record as head coach.

Here’s where things can get a little interesting: McCarthy reportedly had some issues in Green Bay regarding the roster. Essentially he wasn’t a fan of the front office’s inactivity during free agency. As a veteran head coach with a Super Bowl ring, he might request some control of player personnel to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Johnson said any coach who required personnel control “probably” isn’t the right guy for them.

Would McCarthy be willing to bend? Would the Jets? This will surely be discussed during their interview.

Word from the beat: “McCarthy handled himself with extreme professionalism in Green Bay and was generally quite effective in front of the team. He is still regarded as a very good offensive mind and someone who enjoys the challenge of molding young quarterbacks. Darnold is someone McCarthy could develop the same way he oversaw Aaron Rodgers’ transition from backup to starter in Green Bay.” – Michael Cohen, Packers beat writer for The Athletic

Name: Todd Monken

Current Role: Offensive coordinator, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Recent stops: Head coach, Southern Miss (2013-2015) || Offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Oklahoma State (2011-2012)|| Receivers coach, Jaguars (2007-2010)

Connections: Jack Del Rio, Lovie Smith

The hiring process: Requested to interview

Breaking it down: Monken burst onto the scene this year in Tampa Bay, thanks in part to what he was able to get out of ex-Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. Deploying an aggressive, air-it-out approach, Fitzpatrick threw for 2,366 yards and 17 touchdowns with a quarterback rating of 100.4 in eight games. Jameis Winston, who then replaced Fitzpatrick, had a quarterback rating of 90.2.

Monken, 52, struggled some as a head coach in the collegiate ranks (13-25) but could be an intriguing hire if paired with the right defensive coordinator. He took over the play-calling duties in Tampa Bay this year. His players loved him.

Word from the beat: “Todd Monken helped the Bucs set franchise records for points, total yards, passing yards and passing TDs in 2018 during his first year as an NFL play-caller. He has former college head coaching experience from Southern Miss and worked well with Dirk Koetter over the last three seasons in Tampa Bay.” — Greg Auman, Bucs beat writer for The Athletic

Name: Kris Richard

Current Role: Defensive backs coach, Cowboys

Recent stops: Defensive coordinator, Seahawks (2015-2017) || Defensive backs coach, Seahawks (2012-2014) || Cornerbacks coach, Seahawks (2011) || Assistant defensive backs coach, Seahawks (2010)

Connections: Pete Carroll, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor

Breaking it down: Christopher Johnson said having someone with experience developing a franchise quarterback would be a positive, but not a requirement. That’s where Richard, a defensive backs coach for the Cowboys, comes into play. He has virtually no experience on the offensive side of the ball (he played corner and has coached defensive backs since 2010), but, at 39, is considered a riser in the coaching ranks. Richard not only receives credit for the current state of the Dallas defense, but also helped mold the Legion of Boom in Seattle.

If the Jets are truly interested in Richard, they’ll need to pair him with a brilliant offensive mind at coordinator — potentially Kliff Kingsbury or Monken. The Jets could also look to bring Richard aboard as their defensive coordinator, a promotion from his current role with the Cowboys.

Word on the beat: “Kris Richard is a strong defensive coach who commands respect from his players. While Rod Marinelli runs the defense, he’s allowed Richard to call some defensive plays and help with the game plans. Richard set the tone in the first meeting with the defensive backs last spring when he told his group needs to put players in ‘body bags.’ The players loved it and have supported him ever since.” – Calvin Watkins, Cowboys beat writer for The Athletic 

Name: Kliff Kingsbury

Current Role: Offensive coordinator, USC

Recent stops: Head coach, Texas Tech (2013-2018) || Offensive coordinator/ quarterbacks coach, Texas A&M (2012) || Co-offensive coordinator/QB coach, Texas A&M (2010-2011) || Offensive quality control coach, Houston (2008-2009)

Connections: Johnny Manziel, Pat Mahomes, Baker Mayfield, Bill Belichick, Mike McCarthy

Breaking it down: If the Jets want to think outside the box and take a swing at one of the big-risk, big-reward candidates, Kingsbury might be their guy. The 39-year-old perfectly fits the mold of a young offensive guru and has experience developing quarterbacks, albeit not on the professional level. Kingsbury has the potential to be the next Sean McVay. If hired, he’d likely need to be paired with a veteran defensive coordinator with head-coaching experience. Kingsbury has never coached on the NFL level.

There is the possibility the Jets try to bring Kingsbury on as an offensive coordinator — potentially under McCarthy, with whom he has a relationship.

At least one person on the Jets is intrigued by the idea of hiring Kingsbury: Jamal Adams. The Pro Bowl safety started his campaign to get Kingsbury to New York on Instagram late Tuesday night, then doubled down during an interview with WFAN on Wednesday morning. Adams said he believes Kingsbury can develop Sam Darnold “into a great quarterback” and add “swagger” to the Jets.

Word on the beat: “Players and his staff loved him, and he was good at developing quarterbacks and receivers. Kingsbury told me he learned a lot from being around Bill Belichick (Patriots) and Mike McCarthy (Packers), in addition to his time around the old Air Raid guys. He studies NFL film all of the time looking for stuff. There’s a lot of smart Air Raid guys and those guys look up to Kliff because he’s so good at game-planning on making little tweaks based on stuff he’s seen from scouting.

“He grew into the job at Tech and hired a really young staff and they missed on a lot of evaluations outside of him with quarterbacks and it took them awhile to get things going on defense there.” – Bruce Feldman,  National College Football Insider for The Athletic

Name: Adam Gase

Current Role: Unemployed (fired as Dolphins head coach on Dec. 31)

Recent stops: Offensive coordinator, Bears (2015) || Offensive coordinator, Broncos (2013-2014) || Quarterbacks coach, Broncos (2011-2012) || Receivers coach, Broncos (2009-2010)

Connections: Jay Cutler, Lovie Smith, Josh McDaniels, John Fox

The hiring process: Interview scheduled

Breaking it down: Gase certainly fits the bill of a young, offensive-minded coach. It wasn’t long ago the 40-year-old was among the NFL’s more highly-coveted coordinators. He got the best out of Jay Cutler both in Denver and Chicago. He just wasn’t able to replicate the same consistent success with the Dolphins. While he did lead the team to the postseason in 2016, he finished with a 23-26 record in Miami.

While few question Gase’s offensive mind, there are concerns if he’ll ever be a successful head coach. He alienated upper management, ownership and several key players while with the Dolphins. He has a defensive personality, too, which might not mesh well in New York. The idea of Gase working hand-in-hand with Darnold is intriguing, though.

Word from the beat: “Adam Gase could be a good Jets coach if he’s learned from his experience in Miami. Gase seems to have good offensive ideas that could come to fruition with better talent at quarterback. But he must learn to manage people better, which would include listening and being open-minded to ideas such as running the ball more, and more effectively.

“Gase’s passing offense never operated more smoothly than it did in 2016, his first year, when they relied on RB Jay Ajayi and used the run to set up the play-action pass. Yet in 2017 and 2018, Gase went back to using the pass to set up the run, relying on the passing game as the focal point and the running game as the complement. It didn’t work. Gase’s roster control and personnel input might have been too much for a first-time coach. It led to ill-fated decisions such as Jay Cutler, Brock Osweiler and Julius Thomas. If that’s limited he can focus more on coaching.

“Gase should have learned lots in Miami ranging from dealing with staff problems (OL coach Chris Foerster) to dealing with personnel problems (Lawrence Timmons and Rey Maualuga in 2017), to dealing with a hurricane (Irma) and lightning delays (opener in 2018). He should be a better coach in his next job whether that’s with the Jets or elsewhere.” – Chris Perkins, Dolphins beat writer for The Athletic

Name: Jim Caldwell

Current Role: Unemployed (fired as Lions head coach following the 2017 season)

Recent stops: Offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Ravens (2012-2013) || Head coach, Colts (2002-2008) || Quarterbacks coach, Bucs (2001)

Connections: John Harbaugh, Tony Dungy, Peyton Manning, Joe Flacco, Steve Mariucci,

Breaking it down: Caldwell sat out of football in 2018 after the Lions let him go. While older (63), he’s heralded as a tremendous offensive mind. Caldwell played a role in the development of both Peyton Manning and Joe Flacco. He was the offensive coordinator for both quarterbacks during their Super Bowl victories.

The issue with Caldwell is his ability as a head coach. He couldn’t stick with either the Colts or Lions and it’s rare a guy without a Super Bowl title (as a head coach) gets a third crack at it.

Depending on Caldwell’s interest in returning to coaching, the Jets could explore adding him as an offensive coordinator if they hire a young, defensive-minded coach like Kris Richard. Caldwell could help both in the development of Darnold and an inexperienced head coach.

I didn't realize McCarthy, Klingsbury connection......

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

In all likelihood Johnson and Mac have their plan already set.  They likely have their primary, secondary and tertiary guys in place.  I'm guessing it's McCarthy, Bienemy and maybe Gase.  Interviewing guys like Kingsbury is window dressing to appear as though they are out-of-the-box thinkers.

Interesting I dont think any of those guys are necessarily in the Top 3. I would say McCarthy is fall back plan if none of the others wow them. 

I would say Monken and Kingsbury are their top choices followed by the Dallas DC (probably hoping to have some combo of those three as the staff) then Bienimy and Gase as possibles with McCarthy the escape hatch

Jets fans before the season ended wanted two things aside from firing Macc:

1) a coach to develop Darnold

2) high end talent at premium positions

Jamal Adams

1) Endorsed Kingsbury because he feels he will help out Darnold. Jamal thinks Darnold is a FQB that needs resources put around him

2) wants more dawgs. In other words, he wants more elite talent

We won’t know if the Jets players are right about Kingsbury, but at least the outspoken ones are seeing eye to eye with Jets fans that Darnold development needs to be a focal point in the decision.

30 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

My point being that looking at a coaches record in college shouldn't be the most important factor.  Look at Saban  or Spurrier they hardly ever lost in college but failed in the NFL.

It's hard for Saban to fail when he recruits the best players at just about every position every single year. He is playing with a stacked deck.

While high school recruits are never locks, when you have multiple top recruits at every position you are able to make a couple of mistakes here and there that other programs can't afford. Pretty sure just about any HC could win 10 games every year with his roster. 

Meanwhile, a guy like Klingsbury is lucky to get the 50th best recruiting class every year so of course he isn't going to put up impressive win totals. With that said, Mike Leach dealing with the same issues at Texas Tech had no problem having a winning record every year. 

The more I think about it, Klingsbury just doesn't seem ready yet for a HC gig or at least he hasn't really earned it. Maybe as our OC, but not HC. 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's hard for Saban to fail when he recruits the best players at just about every position every single year. He is playing with a stacked deck.

While high school recruits are never locks, when you have multiple top recruits at every position you are able to make a couple of mistakes here and there that other programs can't afford. Pretty sure just about any HC could win 10 games every year with his roster. 

Meanwhile, a guy like Klingsbury is lucky to get the 50th best recruiting class every year so of course he isn't going to put up impressive win totals. With that said, Mike Leach dealing with the same issues at Texas Tech had no problem having a winning record every year. 

The more I think about it, Klingsbury just doesn't seem ready yet for a HC gig or at least he hasn't really earned it. Maybe as our OC, but not HC. 

Fact is, that under Klingsbury's leadership, Texas Tech has slipped in the college recruiting rankings since he took over, and particularly this incoming recruiting class.  If people are going to use recruiting deficiencies as an excuse for his losing record and non-competitive roster, how do they reconcile the fact that this "offensive genius", proven leader and good looking and charismatic wunderkind has done a worse job convincing prospects to come to his program than his predecessor, with equal or greater resources.

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

"I don't like Kliff Kingsbury because he had a losing record as a college coach. I prefer Todd Monken. But his losing record as a college head coach doesn't count."

Not sure I have seen too much of this. And while I like Monken more than Klingsbury, I don't mind either. 

But in Monken's defense, he has success as an OC in the NFL while Klingsbury does not. That is a big difference when judging these guys, especially when both have questionable coaching records in college. 

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Not sure I have seen too much of this. And while I like Monken more than Klingsbury, I don't mind either. 

But in Monken's defense, he has success as an OC in the NFL while Klingsbury does not. That is a big difference when judging these guys, especially when both have questionable coaching records in college. 

My issue with Monken is that this is the first time (as an OC) that he has really stood out.  The TB team was bad enough to fire their HC despite their offense really shining.  

Why didn’t he get a courtesy interview with them?

Any, Albert Breer specualated that Monken is primarily viewed as an OC for what ever coach we hire.  

Said the same thing about Kingsbury if we hire McCarthy.  Apparently Kingsbury worked under McCarthy and respects the hell out of him.

I find a McCarthy as HC, Kingsbury as OC intriguing... add a good DC (not too sure about WIlliams- may be a little hard to take) and I'm good... that is of course if McCarthy "allows" Kingsbury to run his own offense, not to sure he would.

2 hours ago, Jetmech said:

Meet the candidates: Who the Jets are looking at for their next head coach

By Connor Hughes

Mike Maccagnan wouldn’t name names, but he had no problem divulging the list of attributes he requires of the Jets’ next head coach.

Leadership. Vision. Communication abilities. The right character.

Aside from that?

“We’re going to keep all options open,” the general manager said.

With Sam Darnold living up to his draft position, the Jets have the most critical piece in place. This next coach will be the one tasked with helping Darnold reach his franchise quarterback potential. And if he’s successful in doing so, the Jets can position themselves for annual championship contention.

Or they can colossally whiff, hamper Darnold’s career and slip back into the depths of ineptitude and dysfunction.

It’s no surprise the Jets have cast such a wide net in their coaching search. They would like their guy to have experience developing a franchise quarterback, but that’s not required. An offensive-minded guy is a plus, but a defensive one is good too. They have no issue turning to the collegiate ranks and don’t believe college coaches are at a disadvantage.

The Jets are looking for the right guy. CEO Christopher Johnson and Maccagnan believe they’ll know exactly who he is once they see him.

The Jets have completed interviews with one candidate, and have requests out to talk to four more. These are just the first names on a list Johnson said would be “extensive.”

So who’s on the Jets’ radar? Here’s a rundown of their coaching search so far, which we’ll be updating as it progresses.

Name: Eric Bieniemy

Current Role: Offensive coordinator, Kansas City Chiefs

Recent stops: Offensive coordinator, Colorado (2011-2012) || Running backs coach, Chiefs (2013-2017)

Connections: Andy Reid, Brad Childress, Jon Embree, Pat Mahomes, Jamaal Charles, Chester Taylor, Adrian Peterson

The hiring process: Completed interview on Jan. 2.

Breaking it down: Yet another branch on the Andy Reid coaching tree, Bieniemy hopes to follow in the footsteps of two of the NFL’s more recent successful hires: Doug Pederson (Eagles) and Matt Nagy (Bears). While he doesn’t have any experience as a quarterbacks coach, Bieniemy oversaw Pat Mahomes during his breakout season. Mahomes threw for 5,097 yards and 50 touchdowns this year.

A former second-round pick in the 1991 draft, Bieniemy has had his most success coaching the same position he played — running back. Adrian Peterson led the NFC in rushing under Bieniemy twice (2007, 2008) and the coach helped Kareem Hunt to the NFL’s rushing title as a rookie in 2017.

Side note: By interviewing Bieniemy, the Jets satisfied the Rooney Rule. They are now free to hire a coach whenever they want. Bieniemy was not, however, interviewed just for this reason.

Word from the beat: “Eric Bieniemy is a well-respected coach who has really helped quarterback Patrick Mahomes learn and understand all the details within the Chiefs’ complex playbook the season. As a former player, Bieniemy is known for connecting with his players and motivating them to responsible for their assignments. Beyond his successful track record with running backs — Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles, Spencer Ware, Kareem Hunt and Damien Williams — Bieniemy has been influential in the Chiefs’ creative designs of misdirection plays this season.

“Here’s a quote from Mahomes on Monday about Bieniemy as a possible head coach: ‘He’d be an awesome head coach. He has that mindset, work ethic and determination you need to be a head coach in this league. I know he’s had the interest, but you know he’ll still be 100 percent in on what we’re doing here. He would be an amazing coach, and I am excited I still have him here right now for this playoff run.’” – Nate Taylor, Chiefs beat writer for The Athletic

Name: Mike McCarthy

Current Role: Unemployed (fired as Packers head coach on Dec. 2)

Recent stops: Offensive coordinator, 49ers (2005) || Offensive coordinator, Saints (2000-2004) || Quarterbacks coach, Packers (1999)

Connections: Marty Schottenheimer

The hiring process: Will interview, date TBD

Breaking it down: Christopher Johnson said on Monday he’d like the next coach of the Jets to have experience developing a franchise quarterback. Well, few fit that bill as well as Mike McCarthy.

The longtime Packers head coach played a significant role in molding Aaron Rodgers into arguably the NFL’s most talented passer. What some forget, though, is that he helped revitalize Brett Favre’s career during his final year with the Packers. The veteran completed 66.5 percent of his passes and threw for 4,155 yards with 28 touchdowns and 15 interceptions in 2007.

McCarthy led the Packers to a Super Bowl title in 2011 and has a 125-77 record as head coach.

Here’s where things can get a little interesting: McCarthy reportedly had some issues in Green Bay regarding the roster. Essentially he wasn’t a fan of the front office’s inactivity during free agency. As a veteran head coach with a Super Bowl ring, he might request some control of player personnel to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Johnson said any coach who required personnel control “probably” isn’t the right guy for them.

Would McCarthy be willing to bend? Would the Jets? This will surely be discussed during their interview.

Word from the beat: “McCarthy handled himself with extreme professionalism in Green Bay and was generally quite effective in front of the team. He is still regarded as a very good offensive mind and someone who enjoys the challenge of molding young quarterbacks. Darnold is someone McCarthy could develop the same way he oversaw Aaron Rodgers’ transition from backup to starter in Green Bay.” – Michael Cohen, Packers beat writer for The Athletic

Name: Todd Monken

Current Role: Offensive coordinator, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Recent stops: Head coach, Southern Miss (2013-2015) || Offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Oklahoma State (2011-2012)|| Receivers coach, Jaguars (2007-2010)

Connections: Jack Del Rio, Lovie Smith

Breaking it down: Monken burst onto the scene this year in Tampa Bay, thanks in part to what he was able to get out of ex-Jets quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. Deploying an aggressive, air-it-out approach, Fitzpatrick threw for 2,366 yards and 17 touchdowns with a quarterback rating of 100.4 in eight games. Jameis Winston, who then replaced Fitzpatrick, had a quarterback rating of 90.2.

Monken, 52, struggled some as a head coach in the collegiate ranks (13-25) but could be an intriguing hire if paired with the right defensive coordinator. He took over the play-calling duties in Tampa Bay this year. His players loved him.

Word from the beat: “Todd Monken helped the Bucs set franchise records for points, total yards, passing yards and passing TDs in 2018 during his first year as an NFL play-caller. He has former college head coaching experience from Southern Miss and worked well with Dirk Koetter over the last three seasons in Tampa Bay.” — Greg Auman, Bucs beat writer for The Athletic

Name: Kris Richard

Current Role: Defensive backs coach, Cowboys

Recent stops: Defensive coordinator, Seahawks (2015-2017) || Defensive backs coach, Seahawks (2012-2014) || Cornerbacks coach, Seahawks (2011) || Assistant defensive backs coach, Seahawks (2010)

Connections: Pete Carroll, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor

Breaking it down: Christopher Johnson said having someone with experience developing a franchise quarterback would be a positive, but not a requirement. That’s where Richard, a defensive backs coach for the Cowboys, comes into play. He has virtually no experience on the offensive side of the ball (he played corner and has coached defensive backs since 2010), but, at 39, is considered a riser in the coaching ranks. Richard not only receives credit for the current state of the Dallas defense, but also helped mold the Legion of Boom in Seattle.

If the Jets are truly interested in Richard, they’ll need to pair him with a brilliant offensive mind at coordinator — potentially Kliff Kingsbury or Monken. The Jets could also look to bring Richard aboard as their defensive coordinator, a promotion from his current role with the Cowboys.

Word on the beat: “Kris Richard is a strong defensive coach who commands respect from his players. While Rod Marinelli runs the defense, he’s allowed Richard to call some defensive plays and help with the game plans. Richard set the tone in the first meeting with the defensive backs last spring when he told his group needs to put players in ‘body bags.’ The players loved it and have supported him ever since.” – Calvin Watkins, Cowboys beat writer for The Athletic 

Name: Kliff Kingsbury

Current Role: Offensive coordinator, USC

Recent stops: Head coach, Texas Tech (2013-2018) || Offensive coordinator/ quarterbacks coach, Texas A&M (2012) || Co-offensive coordinator/QB coach, Texas A&M (2010-2011) || Offensive quality control coach, Houston (2008-2009)

Connections: Johnny Manziel, Pat Mahomes, Baker Mayfield, Bill Belichick, Mike McCarthy

Breaking it down: If the Jets want to think outside the box and take a swing at one of the big-risk, big-reward candidates, Kingsbury might be their guy. The 39-year-old perfectly fits the mold of a young offensive guru and has experience developing quarterbacks, albeit not on the professional level. Kingsbury has the potential to be the next Sean McVay. If hired, he’d likely need to be paired with a veteran defensive coordinator with head-coaching experience. Kingsbury has never coached on the NFL level.

There is the possibility the Jets try to bring Kingsbury on as an offensive coordinator — potentially under McCarthy, with whom he has a relationship.

At least one person on the Jets is intrigued by the idea of hiring Kingsbury: Jamal Adams. The Pro Bowl safety started his campaign to get Kingsbury to New York on Instagram late Tuesday night, then doubled down during an interview with WFAN on Wednesday morning. Adams said he believes Kingsbury can develop Sam Darnold “into a great quarterback” and add “swagger” to the Jets.

Word on the beat: “Players and his staff loved him, and he was good at developing quarterbacks and receivers. Kingsbury told me he learned a lot from being around Bill Belichick (Patriots) and Mike McCarthy (Packers), in addition to his time around the old Air Raid guys. He studies NFL film all of the time looking for stuff. There’s a lot of smart Air Raid guys and those guys look up to Kliff because he’s so good at game-planning on making little tweaks based on stuff he’s seen from scouting.

“He grew into the job at Tech and hired a really young staff and they missed on a lot of evaluations outside of him with quarterbacks and it took them awhile to get things going on defense there.” – Bruce Feldman,  National College Football Insider for The Athletic

Name: Adam Gase

Current Role: Unemployed (fired as Dolphins head coach on Dec. 31)

Recent stops: Offensive coordinator, Bears (2015) || Offensive coordinator, Broncos (2013-2014) || Quarterbacks coach, Broncos (2011-2012) || Receivers coach, Broncos (2009-2010)

Connections: Jay Cutler, Lovie Smith, Josh McDaniels, John Fox

Breaking it down: Gase certainly fits the bill of a young, offensive-minded coach. It wasn’t long ago the 40-year-old was among the NFL’s more highly-coveted coordinators. He got the best out of Jay Cutler both in Denver and Chicago. He just wasn’t able to replicate the same consistent success with the Dolphins. While he did lead the team to the postseason in 2016, he finished with a 23-26 record in Miami.

While few question Gase’s offensive mind, there are concerns if he’ll ever be a successful head coach. He alienated upper management, ownership and several key players while with the Dolphins. He has a defensive personality, too, which might not mesh well in New York. The idea of Gase working hand-in-hand with Darnold is intriguing, though.

Word from the beat: “Adam Gase could be a good Jets coach if he’s learned from his experience in Miami. Gase seems to have good offensive ideas that could come to fruition with better talent at quarterback. But he must learn to manage people better, which would include listening and being open-minded to ideas such as running the ball more, and more effectively.

“Gase’s passing offense never operated more smoothly than it did in 2016, his first year, when they relied on RB Jay Ajayi and used the run to set up the play-action pass. Yet in 2017 and 2018, Gase went back to using the pass to set up the run, relying on the passing game as the focal point and the running game as the complement. It didn’t work. Gase’s roster control and personnel input might have been too much for a first-time coach. It led to ill-fated decisions such as Jay Cutler, Brock Osweiler and Julius Thomas. If that’s limited he can focus more on coaching.

“Gase should have learned lots in Miami ranging from dealing with staff problems (OL coach Chris Foerster) to dealing with personnel problems (Lawrence Timmons and Rey Maualuga in 2017), to dealing with a hurricane (Irma) and lightning delays (opener in 2018). He should be a better coach in his next job whether that’s with the Jets or elsewhere.” – Chris Perkins, Dolphins beat writer for The Athletic

Name: Jim Caldwell

Current Role: Unemployed (fired as Lions head coach following the 2017 season)

Recent stops: Offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, Ravens (2012-2013) || Head coach, Colts (2002-2008) || Quarterbacks coach, Bucs (2001)

Connections: John Harbaugh, Tony Dungy, Peyton Manning, Joe Flacco, Steve Mariucci,

Breaking it down: Caldwell sat out of football in 2018 after the Lions let him go. While older (63), he’s heralded as a tremendous offensive mind. Caldwell played a role in the development of both Peyton Manning and Joe Flacco. He was the offensive coordinator for both quarterbacks during their Super Bowl victories.

The issue with Caldwell is his ability as a head coach. He couldn’t stick with either the Colts or Lions and it’s rare a guy without a Super Bowl title (as a head coach) gets a third crack at it.

Depending on Caldwell’s interest in returning to coaching, the Jets could explore adding him as an offensive coordinator if they hire a young, defensive-minded coach like Kris Richard. Caldwell could help both in the development of Darnold and an inexperienced head coach.

I didn't realize McCarthy, Klingsbury connection......

I am not in favor of McCarthy at all, but I could probably get behind MCarthy as HC, Kingsbury as OC and Richard as DC, though I would still have major concerns with McCarthy and situational football.

I am not in favor of McCarthy at all, but I could probably get behind MCarthy as HC, Kingsbury as OC and Richard as DC, though I would still have major concerns with McCarthy and situational football.
I said it before the Jets need a young Parcells type of HC. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be one available unless someone quits their job soon.

Could Harbaugh become available within the next couple of weeks? Who knows but McCarthy isn't a definite because the Browns interests...

6 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yet everyone wanted/wants Harbaugh who could never beat his biggest rival OSU.

College is a recruiting contest.  You can’t evaluate  college HCs for the nfl based on win/loss otherwise Nick Saban would have multiple super bowls

47 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

College is a recruiting contest.  You can’t evaluate  college HCs for the nfl based on win/loss otherwise Nick Saban would have multiple super bowls

Agreed but it's hard to ignore the fact that Mike Leach had a much better record at the same school. Maybe he's just a bad recruiter or maybe he just isn't ready for a head coaching job.

He's widely regarded as an offensive guru but he may not be quite ready.

1 hour ago, Lon chaney said:

Andy Reid and Sean McVay both brought Klingsbury in and had him teach them about offense. 

Guy might not be ready to a NFL HC but I'd almost be willing to take that risk.  

I heard this today on Francessa

does sound interesting

he’d have to get someone like Schwartz or G Williams as d coordinator though

10 hours ago, Lon chaney said:

Andy Reid and Sean McVay both brought Klingsbury in and had him teach them about offense. 

Guy might not be ready to a NFL HC but I'd almost be willing to take that risk.  

This! I’d rather be a year early on a guy than miss out.

Listen if McVay came here last year, he wouldn’t have done what he’s been able to do in LA, due to the roste difference.

Doesn’t make him any less of a coach, and he was still probably “a year early” hire on most rosters. He still would have been a great hire...

Just like Kingsbury would be lone term. This guy is no joke.

13 minutes ago, BobbyFlay99 said:

Word is that Kliff accepted the Arizona job last night. Open checkbook to hire the best DC. Jets brass lost out on this one.

If you believe rumors from random, seemingly not connected people on Twitter and or Reddit, that indeed is the word.

Archived