Jets are “big suitors” for Adam Humphries

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Probably not, but adding another non-number-one to a receiving corps that’s already a bunch of 3/4’s is silly. 

So you’d prefer they don’t add any wide receivers? Humphries is one of the best on the market

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Probably not, but adding another non-number-one to a receiving corps that’s already a bunch of 3/4’s is silly. 

Fair point. No #1s available but I think guys  like Tate & Humphries can be solid #2 WRs.

If we want a future #1 WR, we'll have to make it happen via a draft pick.

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

So you’d prefer they don’t add any wide receivers? Humphries is one of the best on the market

5 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Fair point. No #1s available but I think guys  like Tate & Humphries can be solid #2 WRs.

If we want a future #1 WR, we'll have to make it happen via a draft pick.

Recall that the only reason Humphries is even a consideration is because Maccagnan drafted two WRs in rounds three and four less than two years ago and they’re both out of the league already. 

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Lol Quincy can’t stay healthy I wouldn’t be mad about adding depth . But not at 10 mill per

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Recall that the only reason Humphries is even a consideration is because Maccagnan drafted two WRs in rounds three and four less than two years ago and they’re both out of the league already. 

So what does this have to do with you not wanting Humphries?

I like Humphries.  Heaven forbid we actually get a guy that can get open and catch a 3rd down pass.  Only Jets fans can complain about bringing in a player that caught 75 passes last year.  The WR position needs upgrades.  This is an upgrade.

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

No question Macc has to make up for his past failures with this and other positions.

I view it like a baseball pitching staff. You may not have an Ace, but if you have a slew of #2 & #3 starters, you can be ok.

Regardless of whether or not they sign Humphries (or Tate or Cobb) - it's a position we still need to address in the draft.

6 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

I would love humphries... very underrated... he had some very inaccurate QBs throwing to him... 

...and yet actually has a pretty decent catch percentage. Higher than the likes of Sanu, Hopkins, Cooper, Kelce, Edelman, Diggs etc. Give someone that Darnold can throw 8-10 yards towards. Move the chains. Repeat. 

11 minutes ago, British Jet said:

...and yet actually has a pretty decent catch percentage. Higher than the likes of Sanu, Hopkins, Cooper, Kelce, Edelman, Diggs etc. Give someone that Darnold can throw 8-10 yards towards. Move the chains. Repeat. 

Right but the Jets will still need a Big WR which I believe they draft in the 3rd round because there are quite a few Big WRs... I just hope they don't do something stupid like sign Funchess.

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

What a waste of money — more important a waste of roster space. 

Why do you think there’s 4-5 high profile slot guys hitting the market? Dime a dozen. 

Interesting perspective. Don't agree, but interesting. To be fair, I feel the same way about corners.....the league has legislated them out of the game.

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Why do you think there’s 4-5 high profile slot guys hitting the market? Dime a dozen. 

When you have to pay elite WRs like Mike Evans (Humphries) or Amari Cooper (Beasley) it's tough to also pay a slot guy. 

We obviously don't have to pay an elite #1 WR (since we don't have one) and there are no #1 or even borderline #1 WRs in free agency. So the options are bringing a redundant WR like Tyrell Williams/Crowder for too much money or a high end slot, I would rather bring in the slot WR that will make Darnold's life a lot easier on 3rd downs. 

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Humphries is Cherbet good.. they could use the reliability... Tate is far overpriced and I worry about Crowder and why he couldn't succeed... It seems Ross (Who WAS let go to AAFL is better). Maybe the Jets end up signing Ross for nothing... but out of all the FA WRs I think Humphries and Smokey are the only 2 that would be worth their contract.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I would rather bring in the slot WR that will make Darnold's life a lot easier on 3rd downs. 

Exactly that. We have so many holes. WR just isn't going to get completely sorted this time around. Who knows, maybe we'll end up with a top-15 pick next year and the number one WR will fall to us and we'll be complete.

3 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Exactly that. We have so many holes. WR just isn't going to get completely sorted this time around. Who knows, maybe we'll end up with a top-15 pick next year and the number one WR will fall to us and we'll be complete.

Yup, or maybe we trade down and take a WR at 15 or with one of the extra picks we add in the 2nd/3rd rounds. This is the kind of draft class where you can find an Allen Robinson/Juju type in the 2nd/3rd rounds. 

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Given the ongoing list of past and present players Humphries has been compared to here, I think it's fair to say that the general opinion is that he's a real gritty, lunch-pail type player.

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Sneaky athletic, to boot.

Me who has never seen or heard of Humphries before today: "Humphries? Who's he? I can't even put a face to him. Hold on… Lunch pail type player.... sneaky athletic … ohhhh, NOW I know what he looks like! Yes, yes, I'm certain he's the next Chrebet for totally legit reasons now, REALLY "scrappy" that guy." ?

Subconscious stigmas; they're still a thing in the NFL after all these years.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Sure, adding a true #1 WR-type would be awesome, but where is that guy coming from in free agency? 

I don't think the Jets receivers are terrible. Anderson, Enunwa, and Herndon are a decent young group, and Humphries would add the shifty, sure-handed underneath guy that none of them really are. Better than 70% catch rate the last two years with Winston and Fitzpatrick throwing to him. Seems like a quality receiver and a good fit for this team. Otherwise, what? You're penciling Deontay Burnett in at slot? 

6 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Humphries is Cherbet good.. they could use the reliability... Tate is far overpriced and I worry about Crowder and why he couldn't succeed... It seems Ross (Who WAS let go to AAFL is better). Maybe the Jets end up signing Ross for nothing... but out of all the FA WRs I think Humphries and Smokey are the only 2 that would be worth their contract.

What are you talking about?  Why hasn't Crowder succeeded?  He has more catches and yards than Humphries. I get that Humphries is trending up, while Crowder had his worst year, but Humphries also hasn't shown he can be "the Man" without Evans and Jackson.  I would caution about reading too much into Crowder's 2018.  He had an off year, but had a significant ankle injury and Smith replacing Cousins. 

I don't know where the hell your Rashad Ross comments are coming from.  The kid played like a season and a half and never caught a ball. He's literally been on like 9 NFL teams and never caught a pass.  Hell, the Jets even had him in for a workout.  Does breaking out in the minor leagues mean that much?  The kid has like 300 yards in 4 games. During one stretch in 2016 Crowder had 325 in 4 games  in the NFL.  Ross may have a career in the NFL, but the idea that his success proves something against Crowder is mind numbing. 

His stats seem slightly above average, and he's hitting his prime years. A few years ago he would have made 6-8 million in the market, but when you add in a bit of free agent inflation I can absolutely see him making 10 million a year from us or somebody else. That's not even top 20 for WR's these days, it's not completely out of left field given the market.

The Jets have the need for some kind of reliability at receiver and the cap room to get it at a small premium, he's not a top guy but that's the kind of move the Jets should make with a young QB considering the draft is slim pickings at the moment for them.

Archived