@retiremoms

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

NFL is a workplace like any other. IF you're super talented, things can slide and be overlooked(LT gobbling up dope, staying out all night, getting brought to practice handcuffed in a patrol car, Brett Favre being a degenerate and drunk, etc.) , for as long as you continue to produce. Once you slide, different story. If you're a worker bee though indifference to and flouting of SOP is not a good thing. NOBODY wants to deal with a problem child who doesn't produce. And Maccagnan did pretty much the same thing drafting Hackenberg; a total problem child at PSU.Difference could be nobody read that idiot the riot act, and would like to think Gregg Williams is going to browbeat the living sheet out of Polite to get him to be productive player (something Todd Bowles never did once here). We'll see. 

I guess there's a shot Polite takes to Williams kicking his ass, or he crumbles right away. I'm not entirely averse to taking the shot on a pass rusher, but it's crazy how many warning signs exist around this particular one. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I guess there's a shot Polite takes to Williams kicking his ass, or he crumbles right away. I'm not entirely averse to taking the shot on a pass rusher, but it's crazy how many warning signs exist around this particular one. 

High risk high reward, let's hope for the best.

1 hour ago, bostonmajet said:

He is a young kid who got some bad advice from his agent and didn't handle an interview well. Yet, many are calling him a character issue type of pick. Mac rolled the dice on him, if he can turn it around and the coaching staff can mentor him, he could be a steal.

Some negative posters are complaining because he interviewed poorly? Gain a little weight for what could be a multitude of reasons? Not a criminal, child, and or wife abuser. Totally worth the risk.  I will take him 

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Oh sh*t. Sorry, man. The flu?

Some sort of viral flu/bronchitis thing + pink eye that is resistant to antibiotics. I look like the spawn of satan right now. I'm just worn out, normally don';t get taken out by all the germs my kids bring home.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Some sort of viral flu/bronchitis thing + pink eye that is resistant to antibiotics. I look like the spawn of satan right now. I'm just worn out, normally don';t get taken out by all the germs my kids bring home.

Jesus, man. Get better soon.

My brother-in-law is a huge Gators fan; says he has a good motor and doesn't quit on the field, but is a bit unfocused and doesn't give 100% in prep as he gets by with great play without it. I hope the bad combine and slip into the 3rd round coupled with practicing with players who all could skate by on ability will get hime to fix his preparation process. He clearly has some growing up to do. His floor is low, but his ceiling is high. He is guy worth watching this TC.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Didn't like the pick . But in fairness the NFL pretends the combine is the first time these players have ever been put through drills, weighed and ran. Reality is since sophomore year of high school these players have been going to camps every summer, and that's multiple camps. Their schools do the same thing every spring and August. All of that data is either readily available or available with a phone call or an email.

Point is these guys are known quantities before the combine, despite the NFL turing it into the Holy Grail. Is fair to say the combine acts as a job interview. And as to that, Polite shows himself to be a silly goose. That is what should give you pause. If you had a legitimate injury, beg off the drills. Is possible a trainer told him to eat up, but doesn't sound like he has a very good trainer at all. ]

If he had a good combine he would have been gone a long time ago.  I'll take game tape any time.

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I, too, honor my mother by alienating all of my potential employers by being the worst possible candidate for a job at the time of the interview.

People you are neg repping him but he actually does this.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Had the same thing a month ago and wanted to die.

20 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

If you knew how to throw hands you’d be able to fight those germs off. DM me if you need help building a program.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

What does a 40 time tell us about a pass rusher anyway? I could see other drills being meaningful but it doesn't matter how quickly a pass rusher can run 40 yards in a straight line. That's not something they're doing on the football field unless they're chasing down a big play from behind.

When evaluating edge rushers at the combine, focus on the bench press and 40-yard dash

Elite prospects in the bench press and the 40 tend to have more NFL success than those who excel in the cone and shuttle drills.

By MickSmiley  Feb 26, 2019, 8:00am EST

usa_today_12086078.0.jpgMatthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

The Panthers have a long list of roster holes to fill and an effective pass rusher from the edge is right at the top. The NFL Combine, which is right around the corner, will tell the team a lot about the 2019 edge draft class.

Utilizing data from Football Reference I did some basic data analysis to see which combine drills predict the best defensive ends and edge rushers. At a high level, I looked at combine results between 2010 and 2015 to see how elite performers in the 40-yard dash, bench press, 3-cone drill, and shuttle run went on to perform in the NFL (click the links to see the players’ names). I removed broad jump and vertical jump because they didn’t seem to be good predictors of future success. You can read this article to learn more about what each test measures.

By “elite performers” I’m specifically referring to the 10 overall best performances in each event between the entire period of 2010 through 2015. Players drafted in 2016 or later were excluded because they are still relatively early in their careers.

While I know this is subjective, I gave each of the Top 10 performers in each drill a rating of “stud”, “starter”, “contributor”, “depth”, or “bust.” You can see the names and ratings of each player here. Here are the results:

Player ratings by combine result

Event Stud Starter Contributor Depth Bust
Bench Press 4 1 3 1 1
40 YD Dash 4 2 1 2 1
3 Cone Drill 1 1 3 1 4
Shuttle Run 1 1 3 1 4

Again, I know these ratings are subjective on my part, but it’s at least directionally correct based on what we’ve seen from each of these players throughout their careers.

Based on these results, players with elite 40 times and bench press results have had much more success in their careers than the 3-cone drill and shuttle run leaders.

Some of the “studs” among the Top 10 fastest 40 times include Jadeveon Clowney (4.53), Ziggy Ansah (4.56), Danielle Hunter (4.57), and Robert Quinn (4.62). “Starters” include Nick Perry(4.55) and Alvin Dupree (4.56).

The “studs” from the bench press are J.J. Watt (34 reps), Everson Griffen (32), Ryan Kerrigan(31), and Olivier Vernon (31). Nick Perry (35) is the only “starter” as well as the only player to appear among the Top 10 for both 40 times and bench press. Impressive, Mr. Perry.

Meanwhile, the “busts” among the elite 3-cone drill performers are Jake Bequette, Michael Buchanon, Jackson Jeffcoat, and Ryan Wintersyk. The “busts” from the shuttle run also included Jeffocat and Bequette plus Owamagbe Odighizuwa and Jamie Blatnick.

The only “stud” from the 3-cone drill and shuttle run was J.J. Watt. Speaking of Watt, he was also the only player to be in the Top 10 in at least three different events. He’s basically a freak of nature.

As the Panthers get ready for the 2019 draft they would be wise to land a stud who can get pressure off the edge. Recent history tells us they would do well to take a hard look at players who excel in both the 40 and bench press in making this happen.

22 hours ago, Lon chaney said:

Which coach?  Lol then the guy says "there's a bad track record of pass rushers from Florida" like that has anything to do with Polite. Amateur reporting. 

yup.  There is no quote in that snippet.  Just hearsay.  From what Ican see, nobody has presented a single comment from Florida staff ... just alleged under the table mumbles.

I hate this draft with a passion, but Polite may end up being the bright spot and the one ray of hope in this atrocious draft that basically ignored all the most glaring holes on this team.

No WR (when Butler somehow was sitting there at the bottom of round 3 --- notice how fast Arizona snatched him up on day 3---)  That Trojan tackle would have been around 11 picks later for us.  FML..  No Center in a draft with several good ones.  I mean why not take the Georgia Center instead of the paraplegic CB?   

Mac just screwed Darnold right up the arsse.    How in the world is the doofus not fired today after this weekend's debacle?  The Johnsons apparently love their caffeine-addicted schmuck.

• Upvote 1

You would think that after all these years of cellular phones that they would have figured out how to make them work and sound better than they do. They are actually worse sounding than those big old Motorolla jobs from the mid-80's. I hate cell phones and I still don't own one. If I could afford one right now, I would go back to a landline here at home.

23 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Why do we expect guys to exhibit a level of self awareness and maturity beyond their age? He's 21 years old and clearly comes from a poor family. So it's not like he's a world traveler with enriched real life experiences. He seems like a good kid who will benefit greatly if he manages to surround himself with the right people. 

Oh the empathy! 

28 minutes ago, Dcat said:

When evaluating edge rushers at the combine, focus on the bench press and 40-yard dash

Elite prospects in the bench press and the 40 tend to have more NFL success than those who excel in the cone and shuttle drills.

By MickSmiley  Feb 26, 2019, 8:00am EST

usa_today_12086078.0.jpgMatthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports

The Panthers have a long list of roster holes to fill and an effective pass rusher from the edge is right at the top. The NFL Combine, which is right around the corner, will tell the team a lot about the 2019 edge draft class.

Utilizing data from Football Reference I did some basic data analysis to see which combine drills predict the best defensive ends and edge rushers. At a high level, I looked at combine results between 2010 and 2015 to see how elite performers in the 40-yard dash, bench press, 3-cone drill, and shuttle run went on to perform in the NFL (click the links to see the players’ names). I removed broad jump and vertical jump because they didn’t seem to be good predictors of future success. You can read this article to learn more about what each test measures.

By “elite performers” I’m specifically referring to the 10 overall best performances in each event between the entire period of 2010 through 2015. Players drafted in 2016 or later were excluded because they are still relatively early in their careers.

While I know this is subjective, I gave each of the Top 10 performers in each drill a rating of “stud”, “starter”, “contributor”, “depth”, or “bust.” You can see the names and ratings of each player here. Here are the results:

Player ratings by combine result

Event Stud Starter Contributor Depth Bust
Bench Press 4 1 3 1 1
40 YD Dash 4 2 1 2 1
3 Cone Drill 1 1 3 1 4
Shuttle Run 1 1 3 1 4

Again, I know these ratings are subjective on my part, but it’s at least directionally correct based on what we’ve seen from each of these players throughout their careers.

Based on these results, players with elite 40 times and bench press results have had much more success in their careers than the 3-cone drill and shuttle run leaders.

Some of the “studs” among the Top 10 fastest 40 times include Jadeveon Clowney (4.53), Ziggy Ansah (4.56), Danielle Hunter (4.57), and Robert Quinn (4.62). “Starters” include Nick Perry(4.55) and Alvin Dupree (4.56).

The “studs” from the bench press are J.J. Watt (34 reps), Everson Griffen (32), Ryan Kerrigan(31), and Olivier Vernon (31). Nick Perry (35) is the only “starter” as well as the only player to appear among the Top 10 for both 40 times and bench press. Impressive, Mr. Perry.

Meanwhile, the “busts” among the elite 3-cone drill performers are Jake Bequette, Michael Buchanon, Jackson Jeffcoat, and Ryan Wintersyk. The “busts” from the shuttle run also included Jeffocat and Bequette plus Owamagbe Odighizuwa and Jamie Blatnick.

The only “stud” from the 3-cone drill and shuttle run was J.J. Watt. Speaking of Watt, he was also the only player to be in the Top 10 in at least three different events. He’s basically a freak of nature.

As the Panthers get ready for the 2019 draft they would be wise to land a stud who can get pressure off the edge. Recent history tells us they would do well to take a hard look at players who excel in both the 40 and bench press in making this happen.

This doesn't answer anything for me.

First of all, while I appreciate a good statistical analysis, this is not one. In order to do a meaningful statistical analysis you have to have a much better sample size. This is an issue I have with a lot of "analysis" that are presented on this site btw (I usually just ignore). More importantly, it doesn't really speak to the question of how does a good 40 time translate to being a good pass rusher.

Maybe having a good 40 time correlates with having a great initial burst off the line of scrimmage. THAT would be a good example of how a good 40 time translates to being a good pass rusher, but no one has made that argument. I'm throwing it out there as a possible/hypothetical explanation. Even if that were true, it's only one piece to the puzzle.

On 4/27/2019 at 9:48 AM, Sonny Werblin said:

Why do we expect guys to exhibit a level of self awareness and maturity beyond their age? He's 21 years old and clearly comes from a poor family. So it's not like he's a world traveler with enriched real life experiences. He seems like a good kid who will benefit greatly if he manages to surround himself with the right people. 

Why bother to inject reason and common sense, when it completely destroys the agenda and narrative of the pompous SOJF debbie downer know it alls of the board?

• Post of the Week 1