Mac fired!

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

What does that have to do with dear leaders post

If McCarthy wanted the Jets job, but 31 other teams didn't want McCarthy, is that really a good example of someone competent wanting the Jets job?

I'd love to coach the Jets too.  But currently, neither McCarthy nor I are football coaches of any kind. 

And "dear leader" is Gase, not T0mShane.  Keep up. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

And where's that toolbag working these days?

Well considering hes a SB winning coach that 5 months ago you said, for similiar reasons, wouldnt want this job, I'm not sure how that matters.

Any sane executive would want access to 100M, 1.3 and Sam Darnold and been confident that they could control ownership.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

If McCarthy wanted the Jets job, but 31 other teams didn't want McCarthy, is that really a good example of someone competent wanting the Jets job?

I'd love to coach the Jets too.  But currently, neither McCarthy nor I are football coaches of any kind. 

McCarthy made it clear from day 1 he wanted Cleveland or Jets. I wonder why.. almost like those two franchise have a key piece that makes long term success likely. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Like Anderson. But between the Williamses and Anderson, you are spending an awful lot of cap room on DTs. And not nearly so much on the OL. When you consider Tru Johnson, Adams and Maye and the legion of other DBS Coffee Boy has amassed, that is a ridiculous misallocation of resources. Said it over and over; DBs aren DL guys who do not get to the QB are overhead in 2019. Yet this idiot devoted the bulk of his chips to those groups. 

So much for the ridiculous theory by some that so many resources devoted to the D was all Macc taking marching orders from Bowles. They can both suck; no need to absolve one by blaming the other for all of it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CTM said:

Well considering hes a SB winning coach that 5 months ago you said, for similiar reasons, wouldnt want this job, I'm not sure how that matters.

Any sane executive would want access to 100M, 1.3 and Sam Darnold and been confident that they could control ownership.

Would you rather be a highly-regarded # 2 man with a successful organization and wait for the right job to come along, OR take the Jets job just because "its open", knowing full well that history suggests you'll be gone from that job in about 4 years?

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Eagles' investments in the O-Line since 2016 (Douglas was hired in May '16):

• OT Andre Dillard:  2019 1st round pick
  • Starting LG Isaac Seumalo:  3rd round pick in 2016
  • Starting RG Brandon Brooks:  Signed to a 5-year deal in 2016 (previously a Texan)
  • G/C Stefen Wisneiwski:  Signed to 3-year deal in 2016 (previously a Jaguar), benched in 2018, then brought back in 2019 (presumably on a cheap deal)
  • OT Matt Pryor:  2018 6th rounder
  • OT Jordan Mailata:  2018 7th rounder
  • OT Helapoulivaati Vaitai:  2016 5th rounder
  • G Iosua Opeta:  2019 UDFA acquisition --> was projected 6th/7th rounder and compared to Kelvin Beachum

They did all this despite having LT Jason Peters, C Jason Kelce, and RT Lane Johnson all entrenched as starters since 2013. 

THIS is how you build an O-Line pipeline:  Draft O-Linemen every season, even if you already have plenty of depth there, and supplement with free agent pickups. 

It's also a great way to win a Super Bowl. 

VS. JETS under Macc:

• G James Carpenter:  Signed to 4-year deal in 2015
  • G Willie Colon:  Signed to a 1-year deal in 2015 (started 6 games, then never played again)
  • G Jarvis Harrison:  Drafted in 5th round in 2015 (spent 2015 on PS, then was cut in 2016)
  • OT Ryan Clady:  Received in trade for 5th rounder in 2016, got back a 7th (started 8 games then got hurt and retired)
  • OT Brandon Shell:  Drafted in 5th round in 2016 (29 starts, received a 62.7 grade from PFF last season, # 56-ranked OT)
  • LT Kelvin Beachum:  Signed to 3-year deal in 2017 (86 starts, received a 65.9 grade from PFF last season, # 48-ranked OT)
  • G/C Spencer Long:  Signed to a 4-year deal in 2018 (couldn't snap, released in February 2019)
  • G Kelechi Osemele:  Received in trade for 5th rounder in 2019, got back a 6th
  • OT Chuma Edoga:  Drafted in 3rd round in 2019

The Eagles had 3 entrenched starters on their O-Line prior to 2016, yet have used a 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounder on O-Linemen, and signed 2 others to significant contracts in that span.

The Jets have had O-Line problems ever since Ferguson's decline and retirement in 2015 and Mangold's decline and retirement in 2016.  But in Macc's tenure, he's only used 3 draft picks (one 3rd, two 5th's) on O-Linemen, and as a result was forced to send draft assets for older veteran band-aids like Clady (who had an awful injury history) and Osemele (probably his best move on the O-line to date) and overpay a guy like Kelvin Beachum to hold the fort at LT (and he'll need to be replaced next season).  And of course his Spencer Long signing was a complete disaster.

hmmm.....Do the Eagles keep whiffing on OLinemen?  Why do they go after as many as the Jets go after DTs and DEs?  8 guys since 2016 while having a great line?  Not sure I'm completely onboard with this thinking but I understand the point.

43 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Nvm you where right he didn’t want bell . Atleast according to manish just said .

According to Ian Rappoport Gase did want Bell, but not for $52M.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets, at no time in the near past or future, were ever going to be "the most attractive job in the league. It's a dumpster fire and everyone knows it. 

Unless ownership changes,objectively  this is never going to be an attractive job. It's how you end up with Rex Ryan (unhireable by the Ravens who new him) and an incompetent like Todd Bowles. Or Herman Edwards. It's why Bellichick ran away, and  it's why Parcells quit.

When a  coach took the job against Bellichick's wishse and then stuck his neck out for this franchise like Mangini did first  with spygate and then going along with Favre, they fired him anyway. That did not go unnoticed.

The Johnsons are 2 lucky sperm club Richie Riches who flit from one bad idea to the next. Doesn't preclude them from getting it right, makes it a lot harder though. Today probably has nothing to do with football, and the timing is awful. But Coffee Boy deserved this axe for a very long time. Hiring Douglas and thisngs could turn around. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CTM said:

McCarthy made it clear from day 1 he wanted Cleveland or Jets. I wonder why.. almost like those two franchise have a key piece that makes long term success likely.  

And the Browns, who have lately behaved like a competent organization, wanted nothing to do with McCarthy, and instead went with a guy who was the Cardinals' Running Backs Coach in 2017. 

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

The only way that this is a good move is if we upgrade GM with Douglas. Otherwise, this is a disaster and incredibly bad timing.

Correct.

And if we hire Douglas it likely means this was already a done deal, Gase was essentially part of the decision and the move wasn't nearly as dysfunctional as it originally seemed.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Hughes too. Just absolutely pathetic.

It's been pretty clear for a while. All of the leaks were ever about information only the Jets themselves could know about. (Bowles going, Mac staying. terms of Cousin's reported offer and guaranteed money, etc.) Not to mention Manish has been a PR machine ball-washer for years now and that suddenly coincided with him being able to break insider info.

That and all of our beat writers are pretty bad at their jobs. Not saying their primary skill has to be in information gathering, but the type of mindless drivel they write as analysis leaves a lot to be desired.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

hmmm.....Do the Eagles keep whiffing on OLinemen?  Why do they go after as many as the Jets go after DTs and DEs?  8 guys since 2016 while having a great line?  Not sure I'm completely onboard with this thinking but I understand the point. 

Far from it.  They recognize the important of building a pipeline so that they can feel free to let OL walk in free agency. 

In 2016, Allen Barbre started all 16 games at LG for the Eagles.  They let him walk after the season; he only played 1 more season with the Broncos. 

This year, they'll end up letting LT Jason Peters go after the season, as he's 37 and in the last year of his contract.  Lane Johnson or Andre Dillard will get the first crack at that spot next year. 

C Jason Kelce is 32, though they likely won't let him go until after 2020. 

They also will have the flexibility to cut RG Brandon Brooks, who currently has a big cap hit but can be let go any time after June 1 of this year. 

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Weird, because today the Johnson's appear to me to be more competent than they were yesterday.  The decision came a couple years later than it should have, but at least they finally did it. 

It is true but incompetent because as you said "The decision came a couple years later than it should have."

Now we wait and see what they do this year with all of Mac's moves and how the team is under GM Gase until the replacement arrives.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Would you rather be a highly-regarded # 2 man with a successful organization and wait for the right job to come along, OR take the Jets job just because "its open", knowing full well that history suggests you'll be gone from that job in about 4 years?

History also suggested your wife would never get laid, yet she took the job.

This is stupid, the Jets have a potential FQB that finished the year strong and that made them a desirable position.  This is a fact. 

I'm well aware of how crappy this organizations past is but a young FQB, 100M in cap and 1.3 are highly attractive bargaining chips 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Cimini on 1050 spilling all the tea. HOO BOY. Highlights:

—Chris Johnson wanted Gase and got Maccagnan to go along with it, and they spun it to make it sound like Macc was more involved in the hire than he was.

—Gase DID NOT WANT Gregg Williams.

—Gase wanted the Browns job to the point that Peyton Manning called the Browns first. Jets were the fallback. 

The beat reporters are going to go scorched earth on CJ and Gase bc Macc has been feeding them info and now they're cut off.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And "dear leader" is Gase, not T0mShane.  Keep up. 

I thought the word was that McCarthy either wanted the Jets job, or didn't want to coach at all, and just sit at home while the Packers still pay him.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And the Browns, who have lately behaved like a competent organization, wanted nothing to do with McCarthy, and instead went with a guy who was the Cardinals' Running Backs Coach in 2017. 

And why was that? Dorsey, who is highly competent, didnt want to swap out systems on his FQB.

2 minutes ago, slats said:

This plays into Gase not liking what the Jets paid for free agents. 

if the jets don't overpay they're not getting these guys.  that's what happens when drafting sucks.  which leads back to mccagnan.  maybe gase complained that the reason they had to overspend on FAs is b/c the gm sucked.

29 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Here comes Peyton Manning! Book it.

Successful move or not in the long run, that would at least quickly take the stink off the initial clown car assessments. 

Therefore no way it happens lol. We must fit the whole team and FO into a VW Beetle. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Did Maccagnan get fired for incompetence or fired because the owner felt he couldnt immediately fire the coach he just hired? Im thinking the latter unfortunately. 

Been wondering that as well

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

History also suggested your wife would never get laid, yet she took the job.

This is stupid, the Jets have a potential FQB that finished the year strong and that made them a desirable position.  This is a fact. 

I'm well aware of how crappy this organizations past is but a young FQB, 100M in cap and 1.3 is highly attractive bargaining chips 

Problem is we weren't the only team with a young FQB and cap space.  If you have a franchise QB who is still on his rookie contract, you're going to also have cap space to go along with it.