Mac fired!

I'm not sure we'll be better, but we certainly can't be any worse.  We've all seen the Macc pattern for the past few years......a reset was in order.

Here's the biggest positive nobody has mentioned yet.....Macc either didn't choose to or was forced not to trade any 2020 Draft picks.  There were rumors of the Jets trying "aggressively" to move up into Round 2 this year.  That certainly would have required either one or both of our 3rd rounders this year and likely a 2nd round pick next year.  I'm very glad the Jets have their full complement of draft picks for 2020.  That also makes the GM job moderately attractive to a candidate.

One other positive about the timing of all this.  The Jets aren't competing with any other teams in a GM search like they would be in January.  The "Black Monday" openings tend to have a feverish pursuit by up-and-coming candidates.  The Jets will now have a survey of front office personnel from various teams, guys who just wrapped up a busy FA and Draft period, and the best of those guys who are sitting in #2 positions below a GM at their current teams may have the itch to call the shots after just going the Draft process.  The Jets have the only GM opening in town and, even if it's not the best opportunity, the laws of supply and demand still apply.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

This was so ******* obvious.  The level of toxicity is through the roof.  Wonder how this impacts the coaching staff.  Sounds like dudes were forced down Gase's throat.  lmfao

Welcome to 3 hours ago, sh itbird..  go back to sleep.

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

Who’s the new GM?

Right now they don't have one, but there's at least one deemed a likely candidate. 

Gase is interim, since someone has to take the calls. That would have otherwise been Heimerdinger, but he was tossed as well.

It's May 15. Even being the Jets, if Gase is still interim GM on June 1 I'll be surprised. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jbt said:

it is true and Gase is GM.  how do they give this guy all the power

I’m pretty sure it went something like this.

Gase going over last 4 years of big ticket FA’s, and premium draft picks.

Reaction

WTF in 4 years this dude has spent 9 premium draft picks in the first 3 rounds on 3 run stuffing 3-4 DE, a tiny MLB 1st rounder non premium position, and a Safety at 6, again non premium position.  2 more project edge rushers, and3 WR’s not even on the team, and that’s just the first 3 rounds in the last 4 years.  Yay he got Darnold that one time thank goodness.

Then he lets Snacks walk to sign a lazy Mo Wilk after drafting another DE and still having Sheldon um another DE on the team, and give out crazy money to RB’s, MLB’s, washed up backup QB’s who are journey men.

No Oline to speak of, and very little talent skill position wise except for the 1 guy Gase doesn’t want.

So yeah I don’t blame Gase for going all cut throat.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Joe Willy spends his days posting shirtless men, I used to post pics of nearly shirtless women.  Decent comparison I suppose. 

Huh.  I'm saying doth protest too much similiar to mr repressed sexuality.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think the Johnsons were always dubious that Mac was going to work out. 

They gave him one last chance.   They were also likely trying to save money, and also knew that better GM candidates would be available after the draft, because many out of loyalty would not want to take a new job in January having already done their scouting.  

Dorsey was also fired after the Draft.

Mac and Heimerdinger, individually or separately, did not prove to anyone that they had figured out how to build a football team.  It has been clear from the posts here and articles recently written that people were gathering up all of Mac’s screw ups in an easily readable place.  

I think if the Johnsons were going to keep the FO around through this year, they should have had Mac/BH on a much tighter leash.   It’s one thing to not overpay for players, but if I am going to overpay for a player I overpay for OL and not DL and ILB.    

It was clear to me that Mac was going to get fired, but I assumed in January after the Jets finished 7-9.  Firing him now, and bringing in capable others, is a good thing.

The piece of news that disturbs me most, if true, is hearing how Gase did not want Williams.  Hopefully they get that figured out.  

Maccagnan's firing to me looks more like the owner panicking because he suddenly found out that Gase is a power hungry Type A, sell his own mother down the river type of personality.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

Please..  you've been holding Shane's belt loop and following him around like a flea ridden mutt for years.

You and his "relationship" is one of the more grotesque things I've seen on the internet.

T0m gunior

1 minute ago, CTM said:

Huh.  I'm saying doth protest too much similiar to mr repressed sexuality. 

For once one of T0mShane's conspiracy theories about the Jets org came true.  Maybe tomorrow I'll feel hungover about tying my rope to him.  Today is not that day. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For once one of T0mShane's conspiracy theories about the Jets org came true.  Maybe tomorrow I'll feel hungover about tying my rope to him.  Today is not that day. 

You are actually tying your rope to CBNY as he broke this, T0m will believe anything that reflects poorly on the Jets.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BettyBoop said:

Does anyone actually believe we are headed in the right direction?  Shefter listed GM possibilities all of whom were tied to Gase.  Seriously?  We're letting Emperor Gase pick in the next GM? 

We were 24-40 under Macc and headed for another rebuild in 2021.  It couldn't get any worse. 

• Thumb Down 1

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets, at no time in the near past or future, were ever going to be "the most attractive job in the league. It's a dumpster fire and everyone knows it. 

only because ownership continues to do the shi* he just pulled here.

48 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You could be right, but I also think that the Jets will never have a better DC than Gregg Williams while Gase is head coach.  Force feeding him Williams was for the betterment of the team.  If Williams quits or is fired in the next year or two, then I guarantee Gase will not bring in the best candidate.  He'll bring in a guy he knows.....which is just as bad as a DC bringing in his son.  Think of a Dowell Loggins for the Defense coming here in 2021.

Greg Williams has been an average to below average DC for years now. He is being way too hyped up here. That's coming from someone who liked the signing.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Anybody have the cause of the timing?  Here is my theory.  Despite all of our posts about Harrison the last couple of days, Gase is not convinced.  Maybe he was pushing for Wiesnewski as the last competent vet C, and when he signed with the Eagles Gase went off, bringing it this to a head.

Maccs biggest weakness was how easily he capitulated to Bowles when it came to signing players.  I doubt if Gase was screaming for a backup C that he'd have been ignored.. especially for the contract that Wisnewski got..  this is something different..  far more sinister..  the supreme overlord works in mysterious ways.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Cimini on 1050 spilling all the tea. HOO BOY. Highlights:

—Chris Johnson wanted Gase and got Maccagnan to go along with it, and they spun it to make it sound like Macc was more involved in the hire than he was.

—Gase DID NOT WANT Gregg Williams.

—Gase wanted the Browns job to the point that Peyton Manning called the Browns first. Jets were the fallback. 

EPIC SIDELINE BRAWL INITIATED!!!!

2 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Does anyone actually believe we are headed in the right direction?  Shefter listed GM possibilities all of whom were tied to Gase.  Seriously?  We're letting Emperor Gase pick in the next GM?

The Emperor is in charge. I wonder how Greg Williams, Le'Von Bell, and President MAL feel about this as well as the other players? This isn't Parcells or Belichick here.

I am sure most of us are happy that Mac is finally gone but letting him have another offseason/draft and who is now in charge leaves us with more question marks for this season as well as next year - depending on how this year plays out.

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In T0mWorld, Heimerdinger is the GM and Bevell is the HC. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Pac said:

Please..  you've been holding Shane's belt loop and following him around like a flea ridden mutt for years.

You and his "relationship" is one of the more grotesque things I've seen on the internet.

^^And this comes from a guy who has naked pics from just about every male poster on JetNation, so you know he's seen a lot of grotesque things.

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

^^And this comes from a guy who has naked pics from just about every male poster on JetNation, so you know he's seen a lot of grotesque things.

Actually you're the only one that agreed to send them.