So Who is Our Backup Center?

Very likely, someone who isn't on the team now.  Travis Swanson's retirement announcement yesterday took away the last viable option on the current open market, so I guess we'll hope someone decent gets released at some point.  Or, that one of the UDFAs on the team is better than expected.  Or, make a trade.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Jonothan Harrison has started 28 games at center in the NFL, including 8 games for the Jets last year.  It is not like he is some UDFA who has no experience in the league at the position. 

He played admirably at Center last year, and was far from the "weakest link" on the line when he played. The fans on this board should be just as concerned about Winters, Shell, or Beachum, maybe more so.  Likewise, Brett Qvale is still on the roster, shouldn't that bother you??

The Jets missed out on Morse, who was made the top paid Center in the league.  Maybe, they missed out on that one.  We'll see.  Paradis was damaged goods.  No thanks.  Stephen Wisnewski was washed several years ago,  Harrison is better than him, and any other options that have been out there.  Get over it.  Until further notice, he is our starting center.  I think he'll do fine.  Enough Already.

Couldn't agree more. Harrison is not any worse then anyone else on our OL.

I'm going to get some grief from you for this, but I'm worried about Osemele more then him. The guy has a few miles on him, coming off injuries and a bad year. The Raiders wouldn't let go of a guy who's as good as a lot of us think this guy is. It just doesn't add up to me.

BTW Those Marlins have some Pitching staff huh?

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Jonothan Harrison has started 28 games at center in the NFL, including 8 games for the Jets last year.  It is not like he is some UDFA who has no experience in the league at the position. 

He played admirably at Center last year, and was far from the "weakest link" on the line when he played. The fans on this board should be just as concerned about Winters, Shell, or Beachum, maybe more so.  Likewise, Brett Qvale is still on the roster, shouldn't that bother you??

The Jets missed out on Morse, who was made the top paid Center in the league.  Maybe, they missed out on that one.  We'll see.  Paradis was damaged goods.  No thanks.  Stephen Wisnewski was washed several years ago,  Harrison is better than him, and any other options that have been out there.  Get over it.  Until further notice, he is our starting center.  I think he'll do fine.  Enough Already.

Ducasse has started 51 games in his career, so how does that stat prove anything. As soon as another team found a viable starter, Harrison hit the pine. The only reason Jets fans like Harrison is because he can get the shotgun snap correct. Talk about low expectations.

If you watch some film study on him you will see he is easily the weakest link on our Oline. He gets pushed backwards in the run game, can't pull worth a sh*t, and fights for his life in passpro. He's a great backup because at the very least he can snap the ball, but he shouldn't be a starter in this league.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Couldn't agree more. Harrison is not any worse then anyone else on our OL.

I'm going to get some grief from you for this, but I'm worried about Osemele more then him. The guy has a few miles on him, coming off injuries and a bad year. The Raiders wouldn't let go of a guy who's as good as a lot of us think this guy is. It just doesn't add up to me.

BTW Those Marlins have some Pitching staff huh?

Osemele will be a great addition to the Jets offense line at LG , and gives them quality tackle depth.( can play Rt or LT if they get an injury).

Most Raider fans didn't understand why the Raiders traded K Osemele, but his interview with Lefkoe ( Sp?) pretty much explains the move now.      He didn't agree with some of the moves Gruden made last year.    Have to worry more about doing your job , than what the front office does.  They are paying you to be a  team leader( Gruden Grinder) than someone mailing it in. 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, RobR said:

Ducasse has started 51 games in his career, so how does that stat prove anything. As soon as another team found a viable starter, Harrison hit the pine. The only reason Jets fans like Harrison is because he can get the shotgun snap correct. Talk about low expectations.

If you watch some film study on him you will see he is easily the weakest link on our Oline. He gets pushed backwards in the run game, can't pull worth a sh*t, and fights for his life in passpro. He's a great backup because at the very least he can snap the ball, but he shouldn't be a starter in this league.

Adam Gase disagrees with you.  Kelechi Osmele disagrees with you, and I disagree with you.  The tape also disagrees with you.

You excel in generalities. The "shotgun snap" analogy is an example.  Don't simplify the center position. Who said that they like Harrison for that reason?  Not me.  I like him because he did a good job last year.

He protected Darnold, and the line play was improved and more organized after he replaced Long.  Was it not?   Coincidence?  Gase, who has supposedly criticized players on the roster, went out of his way to compliment Harrison, and gave him a vote of confidence.  That is not his hallmark, nor his style.  Why did he do that?  Teammates have also said they felt that he should have started over Long last year.  What's their agenda?  Ditto Osmele, who is new to the team, and singled out Harrison for compliment.

Snapping the ball is not a qualifying attribute to being on a NFL roster.  If that's all he could do he would be the long snapper, not even a backup, and much less a starter.  Thanks, but I'll believe Gase, Osmele, and members of the team before putting my faith in the opinion of RobR of the JetNation Fan Board.

By the way,  what in the world does Vladimir Ducasse have to do with this??  He's not even a center.  He started 5 games in four seasons for the Jets.  At least you didn't  compare Harrison to a Defensive Tackle.?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Morse has also only played 18 games in the last two years due to injuries - probably a big factor behind KC not resigning him for crazy money, especially given their cap situation. Maybe also a reason why we seemingly weren't in the discussions about him ... though that could just have been Macc being Macc.

Buffalo's backup center is ... Spencer Long. 

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Saying Harrison was "far from the weakest link" on an offensive line that was one of the worst in the NFL is like saying one piece of my sh*t was far from the smelliest of the bunch. It's still sh*t no matter how many excuses and rationalizations are made.

5 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Adam Gase disagrees with you.  Kelechi Osmele disagrees with you, and I disagree with you.  The tape also disagrees with you.

You excel in generalities. The "shotgun snap" analogy is an example.  Don't simplify the center position. Who said that they like Harrison for that reason?  Not me.  I like him because he did a good job last year.

He protected Darnold, and the line play was improved and more organized after he replaced Long.  Was it not?   Coincidence?  Gase, who has supposedly criticized players on the roster, went out of his way to compliment Harrison, and gave him a vote of confidence.  That is not his hallmark, nor his style.  Why did he do that?  Teammates have also said they felt that he should have started over Long last year.  What's their agenda?  Ditto Osmele, who is new to the team, and singled out Harrison for compliment.

Snapping the ball is not a qualifying attribute to being on a NFL roster.  If that's all he could do he would be the long snapper, not even a backup, and much less a starter.  Thanks, but I'll believe Gase, Osmele, and members of the team before putting my faith in the opinion of RobR of the JetNation Fan Board.

By the way,  what in the world does Vladimir Ducasse have to do with this??  He's not even a center.  He started 5 games in four seasons for the Jets.  At least you didn't  compare Harrison to a Defensive Tackle.?

Public comments are worth nothing. At this point why would anyone believe anything that an NFL player, Coach or front office person says publicly? NFL personnel rarely tell the truth to the public.

11 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Hey Joe! :-) 

I have a question and a response to the above. I'll begin with the response. Harrison was allowed to walk while playing on a desperate Colts team that needed all kinds of offensive line help. He may not be some UDFA with no experience, but he was a Undrafted Rookie Free Agent who got a 3 year opportunity with the Colts and they let him walk. 

Now to my question. You stated in bold that Harrison was "far from the weakest link", which requires me to ask you. In the 8 games total that Harrison started for the Jets. Who were the weakest links...in order? 

Trust, I've always known that this offensive line was below average. But you said that "The fans on this board should be just as concerned about Winters, Shell, or Beachum, maybe more so". So are you saying that Harrison was better than those guys during his 8 games? 

And it's not a trick question, as I was on board to trade down "multiple times" and stacking up on Center, guard and tackle given that our starters are either below average or at best average but are old and need to be replaced. Im just curious to know if this is your way of saying that Harrison was the best Olineman we had based on how "far" he was from being the weakest link. So I would just to like to know how you ranked the linemen during those 8 games.  

The Jets missed out on Morse, who was made the top paid Center in the league.  Maybe, they missed out on that one.  We'll see.  Paradis was damaged goods.  No thanks.  Stephen Wisnewski was washed several years ago,  Harrison is better than him, and any other options that have been out there.  Get over it.  Until further notice, he is our starting center.  I think he'll do fine.  Enough Already.

So I have a question. It's clear that you feel like the Jets may have missed out on a Free Agent Center that may have been better than Harrison, but you said...and I quote: "Harrison is better than any other options that have been out there.  Get over it.". 

Was Harrison better than every rookie Center in the draft as well? I think that's fair to ask since those Centers were just as available come draft day as the free agent centers were during free agency. 

It seems like you believe that he will do fine, and I hope you're right given that we didnt address Center whatsoever. But you seem to be rather emphatic about it again, given the bold along with the "enough already" statement. Are you boldly suggesting that Harrison is an above average Center? I mean, the way you're speaking seems that you're pretty secure in this position, and I would just like to know for sure if that is the case...or are you just speaking through frustration and/or the fact that folks simply dont see it your way. 

I do understand that by default, Harrison was much better than a man who couldnt even hike a football. And though I will give him credit for being better than that, I will say at the same time that it doesnt take much to be better than that when all you have to do is hike the ball to the QB to be better than what Long was putting out on the field. 

Furthermore, you mentioned his starts in Indy. What was your thoughts on his performance with the Colts and why did they let go a guy who you seem so confident in? 

Now, im not saying that a man cant develop, but I guess seeing what your response to my initial question is along with the rest he will clarify how you really view him...or if you're simply tired of the criticism of a position that our former GM didnt address in respects to draft picks (let alone premium draft picks) throughout his entire regime. And that can also be said for the rest of the oline as well in respects to drafting Oline with top 3 picks in the draft. 

obviously they will probably pick someone up at cuts. I suspect Russell Bodine or whoever shakes loose in BUF 

but if the Jets were playing a game and Harrison got hurt, Toth probably wouldn't be active

in that scenario Winters would slide over and Compton would go to guard. 

it's desperate but Brian Winters has been trained for the job and might actually be the backup center on this roster, at least this season. it's questionable why he wasn't tried there before (while Long was hurt for example) 

having interchangable parts is what most great lines do.. for example the Saints don't have a backup left tackle, they slide Peat outside etc. 

6 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Are we talking about the same player who was beaten out for the starting position by Wes Johnson and Spencer Long the last two years?

Adam Gase: Jets C Jonotthan Harrison Has Done a ‘Great’ Job 

IMG_6717-greenberg-head

Ethan Greenberg

TEAM REPORTER

harrison-gase-E_SZP_0046

Despite doubts and questions surrounding the center position, head coach Adam Gase likes where the Jets stand at the pivot with Jonotthan Harrison.

“I think Jonotthan has done a great job,” Gase said. “I think he really, really does a good job with leading that group. I think that Sam (Darnold) feels very comfortable with him and I think that that group is coming together well. Just watching them work day in and day out together, it's very encouraging. I like the attitude those guys have. I love the work ethic they have.”

Harrison started the final eight games for the Jets this past season and left tackle Kelvin Beachum believes the sixth-year veteran brings stability to an offensive line that returns four-fifths of the starting unit.

“A lot of people don’t know that Jonotthan was the starter in Indianapolis for a very long time, took snaps from Andrew Luck,” Beachum said. “So, he’s played in the National Football League and at a high level. He has his opportunity now. He came in and played last year. I thought he did a really good job and he has an opportunity to really solidify himself.”

Harrison started 23 games for the Colts from 2014-16 and Beachum knows what type of player the O-line has in “Harry,” who has a reputation of bringing?? his opponent to the turf.

“He’s a strong individual, plays with passion and finishes through the whistle,” Beachum said. “When you have that at center, that’s a special thing. The thing is, everyone is looking to have another Nick Mangold, but you don’t have those types of guys walking around in the street. So when you actually have a center that can be consistent at that particular position, we’re going to make sure to keep him here for a long time.”

One of Harrison’s best non-physical traits is his ability to communicate with different people. Last year, he dealt with a rotating door of neighbors up front as the Jets suffered a number of injuries across the line and the 6’4”, 300-pounder also played with both Sam Darnold and Josh McCown under center. Despite the different injuries, the Green & White OL showed flashes of dominance. Twice the offense posted more than 40 points and four times the unit had at least 30 points. But the Jets also had four games in which they failed to score more than 10 points.

In 2019, Beachum wants to find the sweet spot.

“I think the past two years we’ve been up and down,” he said. “We’ve had good games, bad games, but I think for us, it's about finding that consistency and being able to sustain that throughout the year.”

image.gif

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

Saying Harrison was "far from the weakest link" on an offensive line that was one of the worst in the NFL is like saying one piece of my sh*t was far from the smelliest of the bunch. It's still sh*t no matter how many excuses and rationalizations are made.

Sorry Choon, the stats don't bear that out.  I also viewed our line as the worst in the league, with the Cardinals being worse. Truth is they were slightly worse than middle of the road in pass protection. 

Saying this one sucks and that one sucks, is not a solution to the problem.  My point is that Harrison is at least adequate as our center for the time being, and no amount of bitching an moaning is going to change that. 

Poor coaching and game planning may have also been a big reason.  With the weak tit Bowles and Bates in charge, would you be surprised if we were greatly improved with a new coaching staff, blocking scheme and LeVeon Bell running the ball instead of "Dog" Crowell?  I wouldn't.

You guys complain about who we have,  who then do you suggest?  Wisnewski?  Please.  I'll wait for suggestions.....

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Adam Gase: Jets C Jonotthan Harrison Has Done a ‘Great’ Job 

IMG_6717-greenberg-head

Ethan Greenberg

TEAM REPORTER

harrison-gase-E_SZP_0046

Despite doubts and questions surrounding the center position, head coach Adam Gase likes where the Jets stand at the pivot with Jonotthan Harrison.

“I think Jonotthan has done a great job,” Gase said. “I think he really, really does a good job with leading that group. I think that Sam (Darnold) feels very comfortable with him and I think that that group is coming together well. Just watching them work day in and day out together, it's very encouraging. I like the attitude those guys have. I love the work ethic they have.”

Harrison started the final eight games for the Jets this past season and left tackle Kelvin Beachum believes the sixth-year veteran brings stability to an offensive line that returns four-fifths of the starting unit.

“A lot of people don’t know that Jonotthan was the starter in Indianapolis for a very long time, took snaps from Andrew Luck,” Beachum said. “So, he’s played in the National Football League and at a high level. He has his opportunity now. He came in and played last year. I thought he did a really good job and he has an opportunity to really solidify himself.”

Harrison started 23 games for the Colts from 2014-16 and Beachum knows what type of player the O-line has in “Harry,” who has a reputation of bringing?? his opponent to the turf.

image.gif

I dont think thats saying much think Luck was  one of the most hit QB that resulted him getting hurt and having shoulder surgery. There's a reason Indy cut him.