Cut One: Elijah McGuire, Trent Cannon or Bilal Powell?

Cannon, McGuire, or Powell?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. If I were the Jets GM and I had to cut one, I would cut..........

• Bilal Powell
    • Trent Cannon
    • Elijah McGuire
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Cannon - the old pro Powell is needed for leadership and experience
    • If I could, I'd cut both McGuire and Powell - Cannon is too valuable on special teams
    • If I could, I'd cut both Powell and Cannon - McGuire is a solid backup for Bell
    • If I could, I'd cut all 3, to be quite honest - I could find a couple of better schmoes on the waiver wire

If Powell is done it will come out early in training camp. He’s coming off of a serious injury I’m kind of surprised he came back. Sure I like this guy a lot and why not root for your vet players like Bilal. I was worried he’d sign with Belichick. Hate to see him in that uni. But good to see this regime has no prob signing players from previous regimes. 

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

In my view, Cannon is competing for a role with..... If he sticks it will be bacuase of contribution on STs.  Don't seem him factoring into the RB rotation much this year.

I think it comes down to Mcguire vs Powell for the last spot...

I see mcquagmire getting axed, Cannon for specials and SPEED.

Powell is better than McQ at everything. 

(ASIDE_ NON RB...fwiw, in case you guys didnt know. DOrtch is pretty slow. 4.66

now, that doesnt mean he cant field punts...MAYbe..we'll see..  he's got hands and some juke.

all top 5 edger rushers, LBs and safeties put up better 40 times.)

I thought Powell had concussion issues? Perhaps I am wrong. RB and head issues are a dead end in todays NFL, by the same token I remember when fumbleitis in HS would get someone benched and cut in the NFL.

I don’t recall a concussion issue with him. He had that back/neck injury last year and idiot Bowles came out and said powells career was probably over. I’m listening to a pod cast interview with Powell right now and he said it pissed him off to hear and read all of that stuff. He said no doctor ever told him his career may be over.

He seems to think he is back on the horse. We will have to see how training camp goes and if he lost anything but Powell is far and away better than Mcguire imo

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

now, that doesnt mean he cant field punts...MAYbe..we'll see..  he's got hands and some juke.

His 40 was 4.49 and he had a good shuttle and 3 cone which is more important

• Sympathy 1

In my view, Cannon is competing for a role with guys like Josh Bellamy, Charone Peake, Quadree Hendrson, Deonte Thompson.  If he sticks it will be bacuase of contribution on STs.  Don't seem him factoring into the RB rotation much this year.
Bell and Montgomery have spots locked up.  I think it comes down to Mcguire vs Powell for the last spot.  I would probably give the edge to Mcguire, based on youth, but there is reason they brought Powell in.  

Good stuff man. I see it similarly. To keep with the OP’s question of losing one of the three I would go with Mcguire now but a lot can happen. Someone may get injured and remove the question entirely.

I worry about losing good St guy like peake but would always be looking for guys who fill that role and can actually play their position in a pinch. Peake doesn’t look to be able to do that. At least not yet. Maybe Jefferson can get to him. Who knows?

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

I don’t recall a concussion issue with him. He had that back/neck injury last year and idiot Bowles came out and said powells career was probably over.

Yes neck/ back.Thank you, that's worse, I  imagine he would'nt want to risk his health so he must be confident he's not.

• Sympathy 1

Yes neck/ back.Thank you, that's worse, I  imagine he would'nt want to risk his health so he must be confident he's not.

Right. These guys have ego issues and all that but Powell said that two separate doctors gave him the ok. The career ending stuff came right from Bowles who is a complete tard.

Powell is a quiet humble family guy. If the doctors told him not to play I would think he wouldn’t risk it. What do i know though ? lol

In all honesty I didn't see why the tiny LB'er was cut when he was.  Not saying he should have made the team, just didn't see why then.  

That was the fuel for some of my fears post macc firing. Gase is not a GM. Legget had 5 waiver claims for him. That means we could have gotten something. During this period when we are all talking about trading for a CB or OL you don’t think having a 3rd year TE with NFL TD catches had any value? Add to it the Lee issue. Sure we got a 6th which at least is something but we are coming into the time of year when player for player trades gear up.

Legget and Lee AND sterling for that matter would be perfect bargaining chips for OL or CB depth.
Getting back on topic I would also say I can see macguire having the same type of value come August. He’s a decent back. Just not better than Powell.

Lee. Legget, macguire and a 4th for Trent Williams. Eh?? Eh???

Didn't read the thread so apologize if my thoughts are redundant. I cut Powell. You know what your getting and it's ok but No upside.  Difficult because he has been a good jet but sentimentality isn't going to help us. I keep the other two because there is some upside and keep searching for young backs to bring in and push them or beat them out.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Stark said:

Cannon just doesn't need to return punts. I don't think he fumbled as a RB or receiving. 

McGuire has to be the guy to go if Powell is back to himself. McGuire is a total JAG and has no "special" ability. At least with Cannon he has speed. So if Gase & Co. can utilize him he offers something that Eli doesn't.

Bell

Montgomery

Powell

Cannon

Jalin Moore or Henderson 

I was going to post something similar. During the regular season, Cannon didn’t have a single fumble on 56 touches. That’s a small sample but I think most people are remembering his punt return debacles in preseason.

Cannon can’t return punts. But he has value as a gunner and backup RB. I wouldn’t cut him. 

It has to be one of McGuire or Powell.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I had heard Dortch ran 4:49 at his pro day. But he plays faster and has better hands than Cannon.

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Why don’t you care of the doctor cleared him? That would seem to be the decision maker in the health dept. Powell was having a very solid year prior to the injury.

Because doctors can be wrong.  There’s only an entire industry of med mal attorneys

Powell has a chronic neck issue if we cut him we might be saving his life

16 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Because doctors can be wrong.  There’s only an entire industry of med mal attorneys

Powell has a chronic neck issue if we cut him we might be saving his life

He had a bulging disc that was operated on and rectified.   

2017 he had a calf strain and was out 1 game. 

2015 he had an ankle sprain and was out 4 games. 

2012 he had a dislocated shoulder and missed 2 games.  

Not that beat up for an NFL RB.  I'd cut McGuire.

4 hours ago, Drums said:

That’s a tough call. McGuire is a better running back right now but if Cannon can get a little better, his speed might result in big plays. Neither will play much but Cannon does specials. With that said, I didn’t vote. 

Your last sentence had me dying of laughter. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stark said:

Head - if Powell is healthy he is better than McGuire, cut McGuire. 

If Powell is not healthy cut him. 

McGuire should be on the cut list either way. can find a McGuire anywhere on the street.

In the US, most definitely. There are about 85,000-100,000 McGuires in the world. About 90% are in the US. 

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

His 40 was 4.49 and he had a good shuttle and 3 cone which is more important

I saw his forty reported as 4.59, but his shuttle and 3 cone were excellent.  As were Jeff Smith's.  Dortch felt he didn't have much time to prepare for the 40 rehabbing an injury.  I don't think speed is his issue.  It is size.

5 hours ago, flgreen said:

How many times has he fumbled in a game?

5 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Too many times

4 hours ago, flgreen said:

LOL

0 is to many?

3 fumbles in preseason (1 lost, Game 3 vs NYG)

None in regular season, but that may be because they stopped having him return punts?

He averaged 3 yards per carry and 8.5 yards per catch in the regular season, with 1 TD.

20 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't know why so many are so down on McGuire. I think he has potential.

Trenton Cannon is a return man who can't field punts of kickoffs who fumbles every time he touches the ball. He's utterly useless.

Cannon shouldn't've been asked to return punts. He'd never done it before. If the Jets hadn't decided to run that experiment, no one would have a problem with the guy. His real value on specials is as a gunner on the punt team. He puts his speed to very good use there. He returned kicks in college and will probably get another shot this year. He'll at least be the backup there. His offensive stats are similar to McGuire's, but McGuire brings nothing at all on specials. And Powell rushed for 4.3 ypc behind the same line that McGuire and Cannon could only manage 3.0.

Seems like an easy cut to me: McGuire. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I saw his forty reported as 4.59, but his shuttle and 3 cone were excellent.  As were Jeff Smith's.  Dortch felt he didn't have much time to prepare for the 40 rehabbing and injury.  I don't think speed is his issue.  It is size.

It was reported  at 4.49 and 4.51 coming off an injury but as you said he good quickness and is tiny. 

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

3 fumbles in preseason (1 lost, Game 3 vs NYG)

None in regular season, but that may be because they stopped having him return punts?

He averaged 3 yards per carry and 8.5 yards per catch in the regular season, with 1 TD.

So he fumbled 0 times in a real game.  Never fumbled from scrimmage.  Pre-season doesn't mean squat.  The guy had never returned a punt before. Because he's fast some idiot on the Jets decided he was a punt returner.    lol

Probably the best gunner on teams the Jets have had in awhile.  

Really didn't like the guy when the Jets drafted him, but along with the muffed punts, looked explosive in space at times in pre-season, which as I said doesn't mean much.  Think he could find a small roll in Gase's system.  The idea that he sucks because he fumbles to much is kind of silly when he's never fumbled in a real game 

6 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

If Powell is done it will come out early in training camp. He’s coming off of a serious injury I’m kind of surprised he came back. Sure I like this guy a lot and why not root for your vet players like Bilal. I was worried he’d sign with Belichick. Hate to see him in that uni. But good to see this regime has no prob signing players from previous regimes. 

But it was a neck injury, not something to his lower body that he will have to come back slowly from nor should he have "lost a step".