Nathan Shepherd 6 game suspension for PED's

Icer

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Idzik was a legit better GM than Mike McGagnan.

Idzik had bad drafts and of course the one really bad one but he actually had a plan and methods behind his madness.  McCagnan couldn't draft at all and also had zero plan and awful team building.

Yeah, Idzik had a plan. 

1.) Cut Payroll

2.) ???

3.) Profit!

16 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The last 5 3rd round draft picks. 

Lorenzo Mauldin

Jordan Jenkins

Ardarius Stewart

Nathan Sheherd

Jachai Polite 

And people are blaming Joe Douglas for not doing enough right now   Lol...

Cant make this stuff up   

Worst part is Mac drafted Shepherd over Orlando Brown who was an obvious no brainer for us who would be playing RT the next ten years

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

This was a charity pick, hope he saved his money to avoid a return to the stockroom 

As the #72 overall pick he already has been gifted $1.4M plus some salary this year - so should end up with $1.5-$2m - decent lottery win, enjoy

Mac was a philanthropist 

I’m sorry if I burst people’s bubble but Mac was just as bad as Idzik

And Douglas so far does not look good at all

The only way things change:

1. Woody sells the team

2. Woody hires an alpha like Jim Harbaugh to be GM and head coach and says me and my even dumber brother Chrissy will leave you alone next 3 years similar to what Hess did with Parcells in 1997

I was hoping Gase would be an alpha who would tell the Johnson Bros to eff off but he’s just another company man

Otherwise this is another 4-12 season that will head into another 4-12 season next year and the year after

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

I’m sorry if I burst people’s bubble but Mac was just as bad as Idzik

And Douglas so far does not look good at all

The only way things change:

1. Woody sells the team

2. Woody hires an alpha like Jim Harbaugh to be GM and head coach and says me and my even dumber brother Chrissy will leave you alone next 3 years similar to what Hess did with Parcells in 1997

I was hoping Gase would be an alpha who would tell the Johnson Bros to eff off but he’s just another company man

Otherwise this is another 4-12 season that will head into another 4-12 season next year and the year after

Dude, you gotta give JD at least one draft before you start with this silliness.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Dude, you gotta give JD at least one draft before you start with this silliness.

This should be obvious to anyone except those who truly want the new GM to fail.

At least Shepard owned up to it, unlike the vast majority of PED cheaters out there, but yeah, thanks Mac, again...

• Upvote 1

There is an epidemic of PED users in the NFL that are caught using during the recovery period from major injuries and there is a pretty strong incentive to do just that.  Consider that a six game ban is a month and a half, whereas the proper use of these substances can increase recovery time by 3-4 months (for injuries that require major rehabilitation).  So from a financial standpoint and an availability stand point, its a major win, even if you get busted.

The league is pretty hypocritical about all of this.  They gaslight crappy doctors to give players medical clearances super early, yet instantly bust them for the corners they have to cut in order to get there.

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Unless it's a legal thing, why is Shepard still on the team after the suspension?

The Jets control his rights, but his roster spot becomes free. There's no reason to cut him until he comes off suspension, if that's what they wanna do. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2019 at 3:44 PM, Beerfish said:

Idzik was a legit better GM than Mike McGagnan.

Idzik had bad drafts and of course the one really bad one but he actually had a plan and methods behind his madness.  McCagnan couldn't draft at all and also had zero plan and awful team building.

What exactly was Idziks master plan? Praying GENO turned into a real QB? Or was it drafting a Safety in the first round? FFs, MAC sucking doesn’t make IdZik suck any less at all

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Does big bad Nathan Shepard return this week, who gets cut. 

Either trade Leo, in which case that frees up a spot for Shepherd, or just cut Shepherd.  He has not done enough to earn a spot ahead of guys like Phillips or Fatukasi who have flashed at times this season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

What exactly was Idziks master plan? Praying GENO turned into a real QB? Or was it drafting a Safety in the first round? FFs, MAC sucking doesn’t make IdZik suck any less at all

Idzik got rid of bad contracts made the revis deal under tough circumstances, acquired picks and comp picks.

He picked offensive lineman, picked a variety of skill positions.

His geno pick was a guy who fell to him in the 2nd round and unlike hackenburg who many knew was trash Geno was reasonably well thought of.

He drafted terribly and thus got the axe deservedly but he showed far more of plan than mac ever did.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

On 9/10/2019 at 12:29 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

I have to admit.... I love the honesty of him turning to PEDs to help him recover and not hiding behind diuretics and masking agents or saying that he didn't know what was put into his protein shakes...

I commend him for being honest... I don't think he is good and this turns into a relief as they can sign another player without cutting anyone.

My favorite was alway Richard Pryor's excuse after his free base caught fire and burned him.  "Hey!  I dipped the cookie in the milk and the sh*t blew up!"  Beats any athlete or rock star I have ever heard.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Either trade Leo, in which case that frees up a spot for Shepherd, or just cut Shepherd.  He has not done enough to earn a spot ahead of guys like Phillips or Fatukasi who have flashed at times this season.

Trading Leo simply HAS to happen now.  Too many things about it make sense (except possibly for the Draft pick compensation being offered which we don't know about).  We have a glut on the D Line and have been fortuitous in my opinion with guys like Phillips, Fatukasi, etc.  McClendon, QW and Henry Anderson (when he returns) are all average or better which make the unit an anomaly on this team in terms of overall talent and depth.  The Jets can sustain the loss of Leo even though I do like him and think he's our best DLineman right now.  He's going to walk or we're going to overpay him.  Neither of those is good.  If we can get a 3rd for Leo take it and run.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Idzik got rid of bad contracts made the revis deal under tough circumstances, acquired picks and comp picks.

His geno pick was a guy who fell to him in the 2nd round and unlike hackenburg who many knew was trash Geno was reasonably well thought of.

He drafted terribly and thus got the axe deservedly but he showed far more of plan than mac ever did.

This is silly....

The entire world new the Jets were well overdue for a rebuild and had a bunch of awful contracts. Getting rid of the bad contracts was as no brainer as it gets. He literally gets zero credit for it. Idzik walked in at a good time, we were just coming off one of the more successful (pathetic) runs in team history, and the fan base was willing to tolerate a rebuild. 

The only credit I give him is getting a really good value for Revis. Even that however was more of the owner not willing to pay him, and him lucking out that TB was as stupid as they were to give that up for him. But fine, Ill give him credit for it.

Geno Smith was absolute idiotic. There was a reason he dropped where he did. He was fools gold. He had zero chance of being a good NFL QB, zero. Then, after watching him up close, the following year he passed on 3 good QB prospects in Carr, Bridgewater and Garrapolo, to hold onto Smith.

His talent evaluation was as bad if not worse than Maccagnan, he had no plan at all for the QB position, and had no understandind of positional value in the draft. 

Idzik and Maccagnan are historically bad GM's, and we had them back to back. No need to try to prop up a historically bad GM in Idzik in some strange attempt to try to knock Maccagnan even more than he already is.

21 minutes ago, FireTheJohnsons said:

This is silly....

The entire world new the Jets were well overdue for a rebuild and had a bunch of awful contracts. Getting rid of the bad contracts was as no brainer as it gets. He literally gets zero credit for it. Idzik walked in at a good time, we were just coming off one of the more successful (pathetic) runs in team history, and the fan base was willing to tolerate a rebuild. 

The only credit I give him is getting a really good value for Revis. Even that however was more of the owner not willing to pay him, and him lucking out that TB was as stupid as they were to give that up for him. But fine, Ill give him credit for it.

Geno Smith was absolute idiotic. There was a reason he dropped where he did. He was fools gold. He had zero chance of being a good NFL QB, zero. Then, after watching him up close, the following year he passed on 3 good QB prospects in Carr, Bridgewater and Garrapolo, to hold onto Smith.

His talent evaluation was as bad if not worse than Maccagnan, he had no plan at all for the QB position, and had no understandind of positional value in the draft. 

Idzik and Maccagnan are historically bad GM's, and we had them back to back. No need to try to prop up a historically bad GM in Idzik in some strange attempt to try to knock Maccagnan even more than he already is.

Dear NoBowles Username XXIV,

That’s not true, really. At the time, the just-fired Tannenbaum said they didn’t need to break up the team and plenty of fans upset with the purging process gave that opinion credence, suggesting the best option was to keep (if not extend) Revis at $16MM/year to lower his immediate cap hit. You were probably one of them at the time lol.

Bad as they are, the owner stuff regarding Revis has no basis. There isn’t and wasn’t so much as a single leak that there was a requirement to trade Revis, otherwise it wouldn’t have waited until last-minute as it did. It’s nonsense, beyond the usual conspiracy theory desires.

Again, same with Geno. He was terrible, but could have just as easily been drafted at the top of round 1 ahead of our first pick, instead of staying pat and taking him with our 3rd. Zero chance, lol. Easy to say after a player has busted, when you didn’t have half that pessimism towards Hackenberg. Probably half the reason Idzik stayed away from a QB the following year is because he had a half-decent December. He was terrible, but even he never had a game as bad as Darnold just had. Regardless, these moves and others got him justifiably fired. 

Idzik’s awful talent evaluation was his undoing, but it’s absurd to say it’s worse than Maccagnan’s when that’s based on Maccagnan getting 5 shots at the process. The top half of round 1 in the 2013 draft was garbage, and he managed to come out of it with a pro bowler. The other one who busted badly - Milliner - was projected as a top 4-5 pick and the team had just traded Revis days earlier. In his 2 drafts there was Richardson, who was traded for a 2nd round pick (and another starter) in his option 5th year, and two more - Winters & Enunwa - that his successor gave extensions to. Bad as he was that still compares favorably to Maccagnan’s 2015 and 2016 drafts. 

This is a pure benefit-of-hindsight post. But we shouldn’t be surprised.

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That’s not true, really. At the time, the just-fired Tannenbaum said they didn’t need to break up the team and plenty of fans upset with the purging process gave that opinion credence, suggesting the best option was to keep (if not extend) Revis at $16MM/year to lower his immediate cap hit. You were probably one of them at the time lol.

Bad as they are, the owner stuff regarding Revis has no basis. There isn’t and wasn’t so much as a single leak that there was a requirement to trade Revis, otherwise it wouldn’t have waited until last-minute as it did. It’s nonsense, beyond the usual conspiracy theory desires.

Again, same with Geno. He was terrible, but could have just as easily been drafted at the top of round 1 ahead of our first pick, instead of staying pat and taking him with our 3rd. Zero chance, lol. Easy to say after a player has busted, when you didn’t have half that pessimism towards Hackenberg. Probably half the reason Idzik stayed away from a QB the following year is because he had a half-decent December. He was terrible, but even he never had a game as bad as Darnold just had. Regardless, these moves and others got him justifiably fired. 

Idzik’s awful talent evaluation was his undoing, but it’s absurd to say it’s worse than Maccagnan’s when that’s based on Maccagnan getting 5 shots at the process. The top half of round 1 in the 2013 draft was garbage, and he managed to come out of it with a pro bowler. The other one who busted badly - Milliner - was projected as a top 4-5 pick and the team had just traded Revis days earlier. In his 2 drafts there was Richardson, who was traded for a 2nd round pick (and another starter) in his option 5th year, and two more - Winters & Enunwa - that his successor gave extensions to. Bad as he was that still compares favorably to Maccagnan’s 2015 and 2016 drafts. 

mac was a horrible drafter.except for maye, all of his 2nd rounders were busts, and i don't think he hit on any 3rd or 4th rounders.  and he gets some credit for his 1st rounders but it's not like he was digging for a guy with a bottom 10 pick.  except for lee he had top 6 picks during his whole tenure.

21 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Idzik’s awful talent evaluation was his undoing, but it’s absurd to say it’s worse than Maccagnan’s when that’s based on Maccagnan getting 5 shots at the process. The top half of round 1 in the 2013 draft was garbage, and he managed to come out of it with a pro bowler. The other one who busted badly - Milliner - was projected as a top 4-5 pick and the team had just traded Revis days earlier. In his 2 drafts there was Richardson, who was traded for a 2nd round pick (and another sktarter) in his option 5th year, and two more - Winters & Enunwa - that his successor gave extensions to. Bad as he was that still compares favorably to Maccagnan’s 2015 and 2016 drafts. 

Hey, welcome back Spermy, missed you. Am I really up to 24 now? Or are is my greek math off?

Its 100% true, The Jets were coming off a horrible year, had a lot of aging vets on bad contracts, and had no QB. Who in their right mind was going to keep that team together and keep the high contracts? Tannenbaum was on WFAN a few days after he was let go and said exactly what would be done, and what he would do, and that was the year it was designed to get rid of the bad contracts. Acting like Idzik did some genius move by cutting the bad contracts is silly, and only to be touted by those who for some really odd reason like him.

As for Geno, I said it before he was drafted, even by the Jets. I follow WV football and I knew exactly what he was. I made a post with, I think XI? before the draft saying to stay away from him and Emanual, if you want a QB take a flyer on Glennon ife he is available in the 4th or later, and draft a QB next year in what was known to be a far better QB draft.

What I said was it was as bad if not worse, if you want to wordsmith that into me saying it was worse, and then claim Im absurd, enjoy.

For some odd reason you were behind Idzik from day 1, and stood by him through thick (not really) and thin. You also hated Maccagnan from day one, and bashed him and claimed anything he did was bad, or lucky. They both were God awful, and there is nothing about Idzik that was in any way something to defend. Maccagnan being as bad, does not make Idzik any less awful.

You      are      up   .......

On 9/11/2019 at 4:57 AM, slats said:

Yeah, Idzik had a plan. 

1.) Cut Payroll

2.) ???

3.) Profit!

He acquired picks and he drafted olineman and he drafted more value postilions.

His drafting was awful and he for sure deserved to be fired but he did things in two years Mac didn;t do in 5.

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I thought the Jets selected Geno because Mornhinweg fell in love with him at the combine.

13 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

What a ridiculous draft pick this guy was

I think it was the worst pick of the Mac era b/c of the context. Sure, Hackenberg was a horrible reach and waste of a 2nd round pick, but at least that was a pick in an area of need at the time. That was more of a hubris pick.

After drafting Darnold (and giving up three 2nd round picks to move up in the draft), Mac's very next pick absolutely had to be one to help the young QB.  With a garbage offensive line, the obvious needed pick was the best OL on the board.  But he takes a fairly "old" small school DT instead. This is more of a clueless idiot pick.

• Upvote 1

The only real knock on Idzik was that he missed on picks. Just missing picks does not in and of itself mean anything. Belichick has put up some really derpy lists of names during his tenure. That's not because he doesn't know what he's doing. It's because the draft is a crapshoot. If you don't have a plan, that's a problem. If you draft a kicker in the second round, that's a problem. If you trade away too many picks, that's a problem. If you have systemic valuation or evaluation issues, that's a problem. If you ignore the various basic analytics that are available to cheat the odds up a little, that's a problem.

The biggest problem under Idzik was having a lame duck scouting department and a lame duck coaching staff. Same kind of situation Gase inherited and which in the eyes of basically everyone completely absolves him of any responsibility for this year's draftastrophe.