Greg Williams press conference 10-18-19

Nixhead

20 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

We are very lucky Cleveland blew it with Williams. I really hope he stays with us and doesn’t take a head coaching job elsewhere next season -  make him co-head coach if he will stay - because I don’t want anybody else coaching our defense!

After listening to that press conference I'm so confident in our defense going forward. I love when he talked about accountability, ownership, and especially how he wants his defense seeing things through the eyes of the opposing quarterback.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I loved it when we signed GW as our DC. Why Dorsey and Cleveland didn't hire him as HC still baffles me. He turned that team completely around last year in his short stint as HC. Cleveland's loss is our gain.  He's got the Jets D playing great. Love to see him stay here for awhile.

• Upvote 3

He could make this a top 5 D with a legit pass rusher and/or a legit shut down CB and I think that will be top priority for JD during FA next year while focusing on O-line and offensive talent in the draft.

Yes, the Jets will need to pony up to keep him here but I'm not nec. convinced he wants to be head coach no matter who offers the job. Its going to depend heavily on circumstance. He may choose to stay here as a D coordinator if the money is right and he feels at home rather than go to a new team (probably bad) with high expectations as a head coach, not really knowing what to expect as far as wins.

And if the Jets go on a run and end up right around .500 with 2020 looking like a team that should be making a push for the playoffs, I think that gives him more incentive to stay.  

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Johnson is certainly suspect but I think Roberts is getting better by the week and will work out just fine here

Good analysis on Roberts. Lets hope Blessan can get on the field and stay healthy, so we won't have to deal with Johnson's shortcomings

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

I loved it when we signed GW as our DC. Why Dorsey and Cleveland didn't hire him as HC still baffles me. He turned that team completely around last year in his short stint as HC. Cleveland's loss is our gain.  He's got the Jets D playing great. Love to see him stay here for awhile.

Because they are still Cleveland. They are still making poor choices. 

2 hours ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Every time this derpy lameass makes it through a press conference without challenging a reporter to pistols at Weehawken, the legend grows two sizes.

What happened to you?  All your posts have been negative lately. With no CB or elite pass rusher this guy is making chicken salad out of chicken isht.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i like the way williams adjusts and isn't afraid to go after the other qb even with a lead.  so many dc's would sit back and try to run out the clock.  and the same goes for gase too.  neither of these coaches want to sit on leads.

You really can't in today's pass happy NFL. Both GW and Gase "get it".

• Upvote 1

Gregg Williams is under contract past this year. No matter how the defense performs he will never get another Head Coaching opportunity after Bounty Gate. Unless he gets fired by Gase, which is highly unlikely at this point, he'll be here next year

21 hours ago, PepPep said:

the Jets will need to pony up to keep him here but I'm not nec. convinced he wants to be head coach no matter who offers the job. Its going to depend heavily on circumstance.

It was my understanding that he had opportunities this past off-season to be a HC but wanted to stay as a D coordinator. I'd be pretty surprised if he left after 1 season with us.

If he sniffs around for a HC job the Jets better pony up the extra money.

On 10/19/2019 at 5:55 AM, LockeJET said:

He's not turning down a HC job to become Co-HC. He's not young like McDaniels who can wait. And with Williams history he will jump at the opportunity to become a HC again. He's most likely one and done here. 

He'll be lucky to get an offer given his history in Bounty Gate and what it cost the Saints and Payton along with the fact that the NFL has turned to young, offensive coaches moving into HC positions.  He'll jump at any offer, it could be his last, as you say.  

I'm not sure where he goes outside of Washington, that one scares me after how hard Snyder went after him for the DC spot.  

On 10/19/2019 at 8:26 AM, Thai Jet said:

Because Baker wanted his guy and won.  Wanted a HC who would be indebted to him 

Could you imagine Baker shooting his mouth off on a weekly basis with Williams as his HC?  Turning the ball over the way he has?  

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, choon328 said:

Gregg Williams is under contract past this year. No matter how the defense performs he will never get another Head Coaching opportunity after Bounty Gate. Unless he gets fired by Gase, which is highly unlikely at this point, he'll be here next year

his performance as interim HC last year and DC this year, I think he gets another shot.  Far worse has been forgiven in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Because Baker wanted his guy and won.  Wanted a HC who would be indebted to him 

Could you imagine Baker shooting his mouth off on a weekly basis with Williams as his HC?  Turning the ball over the way he has?  

:rl:    In a word ......... NO !

• Upvote 1