The truth about stepping away from this team...

WowOhWow

I get 16 weekends a year to watch my team play.  I enjoy watching them, whether the record is 8-4 or 4-8.  To me, the team's performance regulates my reaction to their games.  We came in yesterday at 4-7.  No realistic shot at post-season.  Would have liked to see the team play well and win, but they didn't.  By no means is this a crushing loss.  Just one look at the roster and it should come as no surprise to anyone that we are inconsistent.  An awful lot of spots are being filled by young, developing players (including our QB) who have shown some promise, but have not performed consistently well over an extended period of time.

We lost to the Bengals.  A bit embarrassing since they came into it winless, but it is not a loss that lingers.  4-8, 5-7.  Does it really matter all that much?

All I know is I will be back next Sunday watching them again.  Hoping for a solid performance.  But not sweating it much if they don't win.

Now, for the Dawgs-LSU on Saturday afternoon, that one I am already stressing.  But Jets - Dolphins on Sunday.  Relaxing Sunday afternoon wathcing my team and hoping for the best.

• Upvote 2

Odd thing is I’m seeing a lot of posters  saying the same things that have been going through my head the last few years.

losses like yesterday use to bug the sh*t out of me..... I actually turned yesterday’s game off in the 3rd quarter- at least the fourth time ive done that this year alone-  know I turned a few off last year too. There was a time I’d never give up.

perhaps it’s just progress? ? Also  know a Super Bowl ( not that I ever expect one at this point)- probably wouldn’t feel near as gratifying as it would’ve say a decade or two ago.

• Upvote 2

more to topic, from 2012 to 2017 i was more out than in...   redzone only...  when we hadda chance

to get to playoffs w/ Fotz i watched the Buffalo game...  we all know how THAT went...   then when myh buddy

was telling me, Darnold dude, Jets got Darnold... I got a bit hooked. I hadnt heard of him cos USC has sucked.

Then i left jetchat for here and got hooked, thought it was worth checking out since he

was gonna change the whole team...       hasnt happened.  my bad. 

2 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

I've got enough confidence in my history of being a Jet fan to share my thoughts on this, which I'm sure will come with ridicule and snarky responses from the usual thread killers.  But here goes:

Since the Miami debacle I completely changed the way I follow, watch and consume information on this team.  I'll admit it, I actually de-prioritized the Jets.  Stopped listening to Jet podcasts while driving to and from work.  Stopped following all their beat writers on Twitter.  Stopped reading news articles.  Visited this fan site (which I love) much, much less.  Haven't bought a ticket or any merchandise since then either.

I stopped organizing my Sundays around watching the game (I have DirecTV, GamePass) and would watch the game on and off, without focusing on every play, etc.  I stopped getting into long discussions at work about them.  The time, energy, emotion put into this team was reduced by 95%.  My family can't believe it.  My wife, kids are amazed I did it.  I was a nut for 40+years.

And I can't believe how much better I feel.  I'm not exaggerating.  I actually feel better. and are much, much happier.

Watching this team, following this team takes a toll, and when everything they do is a kick in the balls its amazing how much relief and how much better it feels to step away.

When this team starts losing guys like me there are problems...because I used to spend.  Not anymore...and I actually feel great.

I guess I'm a p@ssy, huh.

I went 25 years without missing a snap ...not even during the kotite years ....I took my daughter to the 2pm showing of Frozen 2 yesterday...true story . I’m with you bro . 

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, Lith said:

I get 16 weekends a year to watch my team play.  I enjoy watching them, whether the record is 8-4 or 4-8.  To me, the team's performance regulates my reaction to their games.  We came in yesterday at 4-7.  No realistic shot at post-season.  Would have liked to see the team play well and win, but they didn't.  By no means is this a crushing loss.  Just one look at the roster and it should come as no surprise to anyone that we are inconsistent.  An awful lot of spots are being filled by young, developing players (including our QB) who have shown some promise, but have not performed consistently well over an extended period of time.

We lost to the Bengals.  A bit embarrassing since they came into it winless, but it is not a loss that lingers.  4-8, 5-7.  Does it really matter all that much?

All I know is I will be back next Sunday watching them again.  Hoping for a solid performance.  But not sweating it much if they don't win.

Now, for the Dags-LSU on Saturday afternoon, that one I am already stressing.  But Jets - Dolphins on Sunday.  Relaxing Sunday afternoon wathcing my team and hoping for the best.

You going? Either way, good luck.You guys need a break in one of these big games.

2 hours ago, Eyes Of Adam said:

My approach is, recognize that the Jets are purely entertainment, and have no bearing on my actual life, at all. If they win the SB for the next 10 years straight, I don't make any more money, I don't have any more sex, I don't have to work less, my life will be exactly the same.

If they win, I enjoy it, I like to follow them, and be able to talk to my family and friends who are Jets fans. I like to post on message boards about the Jets and converse with other fans.

I used to let the Jets impact my moods, my weeks, no more. Those days are long gone.

If someone asks me what my team is, I gladly tell them the Jets, and if they chuckle, or try to make me feel bad, I actually think to myself, what kind of loser derives self worth from their sports teams, as if they have something to do with success or failure of a sports team, or did something grand to acquire their fandom. Like Yankees fans who act like they climbed Mt. Everest and were bestowed Yankee fandom as a reward.....

SAR I acts like this - lol.

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

As I've gotten older, I have much less tolerance for BS and negativity of any kind and I definitely put less time and energy into things around me that don't give me some kind of positive utility.  I still love my teams, but I don't agonize over losses, bad calls, wasted seasons, etc... My son, who is 18, sees this and doesn't understand how I've become a more casual fan of my teams because he is in the throes of the youthful "all in" fandom for all of the teams I've sadly indoctrinated him into rooting for - Jets, Mets, Knicks, Rangers and yes, I apologize to him on a daily basis for this!

These are my exact teams.  At least the Rangers are very well run these days.  It's amazing that Dolan is the owner but they've really been a great organization for about the past decade.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

I've got enough confidence in my history of being a Jet fan to share my thoughts on this, which I'm sure will come with ridicule and snarky responses from the usual thread killers.  But here goes:

Since the Miami debacle I completely changed the way I follow, watch and consume information on this team.  I'll admit it, I actually de-prioritized the Jets.  Stopped listening to Jet podcasts while driving to and from work.  Stopped following all their beat writers on Twitter.  Stopped reading news articles.  Visited this fan site (which I love) much, much less.  Haven't bought a ticket or any merchandise since then either.

I stopped organizing my Sundays around watching the game (I have DirecTV, GamePass) and would watch the game on and off, without focusing on every play, etc.  I stopped getting into long discussions at work about them.  The time, energy, emotion put into this team was reduced by 95%.  My family can't believe it.  My wife, kids are amazed I did it.  I was a nut for 40+years.

And I can't believe how much better I feel.  I'm not exaggerating.  I actually feel better. and are much, much happier.

Watching this team, following this team takes a toll, and when everything they do is a kick in the balls its amazing how much relief and how much better it feels to step away.

When this team starts losing guys like me there are problems...because I used to spend.  Not anymore...and I actually feel great.

I guess I'm a p@ssy, huh.

I stopped watching, and just check the score on this website, or ESPN.

Makes my whole Sunday better.   I love the community here, but this team is utter crap, and un watchable.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Odd thing is I’m seeing a lot of posters  saying the same things that have been going through my head the last few years.

losses like yesterday use to bug the sh*t out of me..... I actually turned yesterday’s game off in the 3rd quarter- at least the fourth time ive done that this year alone-  know I turned a few off last year too. There was a time I’d never give up.

perhaps it’s just progress? ? Also  know a Super Bowl ( not that I ever expect one at this point)- probably wouldn’t feel near as gratifying as it would’ve say a decade or two ago.

This really interests me.   I feel the same but I'm wondering why you're saying that.  For me, it's that I think the NFL is a watered down product.  It used to be the best sport but it has really lost a lot of its appeal to me over the the years with the arena football style of play, penalties, replay, horrible announcers, etc.  

• Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

Thanks.  No.  Not going to this one.  My daughter is competing in Special Olympics Bowling State Championships in the morning.  Game will be DVR'd just in case I am not home by kickoff.

If we win, maybe I will try to make it to the next one.

God bless! You like the Dawgs, you love her. Hope she does great.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

As I've gotten older, I have much less tolerance for BS and negativity of any kind and I definitely put less time and energy into things around me that don't give me some kind of positive utility.  I still love my teams, but I don't agonize over losses, bad calls, wasted seasons, etc... My son, who is 18, sees this and doesn't understand how I've become a more casual fan of my teams because he is in the throes of the youthful "all in" fandom for all of the teams I've sadly indoctrinated him into rooting for - Jets, Mets, Knicks, Rangers and yes, I apologize to him on a daily basis for this!

At least the Rangers and Mets have had some good years during his life l, especially NYR but the other two...yikes. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I am fairly known as a HUGE Jets fan here in the south. When someone comments about them to me, usually breaking my balls, my new line is "The Jets are a team I fell in love with as a kid. Nothing more , nothing less."/  That's a lie ... but I am divorcing myself from them emotionally more and more.

Exactly the same with me. 

I’m “the Jets fan” where I live. I’m the guy they went to when we beat the Pats with Rex, and I’m also the guy they tease about our futility.

The turning point came last season for me. It was the Sunday morning we were playing the Dolphins we were 3-5, and had that game with the fins backup QB, followed by the Bills. 

I remember being on this site early that morning. It was really quiet here, but me @Thai Jet and @jetspenguin we’re having a nice talk about a lot of different stuff. We finally got around to talking about the game. 

We were all leery, because Jets, but deep down we thought we’d win those two games and face the then slow starting Pats in a night game with first place on the line.

Not only did Miami blow us out that day, but we lost to Buffalo the next week also. Season over. From that Miami game on, I no longer get upset at losses, I actually laugh at our ineptitude. 

This season hasn’t bothered me in the least. As I said last night, I’ve become numb to this. If anything, I get a few laughs watching them and reading here the hopes guys have for us turning things around.

• Upvote 1

I feel a lot more stress when they're good (which proves I have a good memory).  They're bad now, meh, it sucks, but it doesn't ruin my day.  Losing in an AFC championship game - that's pretty crushing...

I still look forward to a good season one day.  I could never root for another team - the only option would be to stop watching football.  Like, I've always been a Knicks fan.  Moved out to San Francisco area 11 years ago.  Still can't make myself care about the Warriors...

I was in Mexico house hunting and missed the last two wins of the three game winning streak down there. Was really looking forward to sitting in front of the TV yesterday to watch them and... yeah. Good news is that I found a place and I'll be moving down next month. Also good news is that I know there's a way to get the Sunday Ticket down there but I haven't looked into it, yet. I'm interested to see what happens to my fandom, which dates back to when I was six or seven years old, when I'm just not in NY for most of the football season anymore (I'll probably be here late May thru most of October for a couple years, at least). 
I've been following Jets message boards since I first stuck an AOL floppy disc into a Dell. Don't see that habit getting dropped any time soon. 

So what you’re saying is you’re the problem?? ??

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Happy when they win mad when they lose.  By noon Monday I am looking to the next game.

Once I get to the " I  feel so much better now that I have given up all hope." phase of the season. The anger is a lot less.

This year was the MNF Patriots game.

5 hours ago, slats said:

I was in Mexico house hunting and missed the last two wins of the three game winning streak down there. Was really looking forward to sitting in front of the TV yesterday to watch them and... yeah. Good news is that I found a place and I'll be moving down next month. Also good news is that I know there's a way to get the Sunday Ticket down there but I haven't looked into it, yet. I'm interested to see what happens to my fandom, which dates back to when I was six or seven years old, when I'm just not in NY for most of the football season anymore (I'll probably be here late May thru most of October for a couple years, at least). 

I've been following Jets message boards since I first stuck an AOL floppy disc into a Dell. Don't see that habit getting dropped any time soon. 

Dude good luck. Buy bullet proof vests for everyone.

seriously whats with the mexico move that interests me more than this circle jerk kumbaya thread

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Thanks.  No.  Not going to this one.  My daughter is competing in Special Olympics Bowling State Championships in the morning.  Game will be DVR'd just in case I am not home by kickoff.

If we win, maybe I will try to make it to the next one.

Good luck to her. That is way more special than watching this team slog along

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This really interests me.   I feel the same but I'm wondering why you're saying that.  For me, it's that I think the NFL is a watered down product.  It used to be the best sport but it has really lost a lot of its appeal to me over the the years with the arena football style of play, penalties, replay, horrible announcers, etc.  

That’s not wrong. It’s so hard to watch these games with all the penalties. Also funny how you mention it’s a “watered down league” my brother and I spoke about that Thanksgiving Day. When we were growing up there were 28 teams.

Thats over 200 more men in the league that would otherwise not be. 

I don’t work for the Jets, the Jets do not pay my bills, and I literally have zero control on how the Jets perform week to week, year to year. My fandom has definitely gone down in the last 4-5 years or so....I’ll always be a Jet fan but long gone are the days when I was seriously emotionally invested in this team....Football and all professional sports are just entertainment. I leave it at that.....

• Upvote 2

On 12/2/2019 at 3:57 PM, 14 in Green said:

Exactly the same with me. 

I’m “the Jets fan” where I live. I’m the guy they went to when we beat the Pats with Rex, and I’m also the guy they tease about our futility.

The turning point came last season for me. It was the Sunday morning we were playing the Dolphins we were 3-5, and had that game with the fins backup QB, followed by the Bills. 

I remember being on this site early that morning. It was really quiet here, but me @Thai Jet and @jetspenguin we’re having a nice talk about a lot of different stuff. We finally got around to talking about the game. 

We were all leery, because Jets, but deep down we thought we’d win those two games and face the then slow starting Pats in a night game with first place on the line.

Not only did Miami blow us out that day, but we lost to Buffalo the next week also. Season over. From that Miami game on, I no longer get upset at losses, I actually laugh at our ineptitude. 

This season hasn’t bothered me in the least. As I said last night, I’ve become numb to this. If anything, I get a few laughs watching them and reading here the hopes guys have for us turning things around.

YES I remember that morning. It was really great the 3 of us just talking about different things. One of the really nice times, for me, here at JN. Great way to start the day.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

My father acquired season tickets at the start of the 1-15 season, and seats were $25 a game. I think we held them through the first 3 years of the new stadium. Through the ups and downs since, Sundays were always a "dressed in green" day. I think this year was the first where I didn't have an 80, 28, or 24 on regularly every weekend. Kind of a bummer to think about now, but in the moment, watching the team lose terribly recently doesn't faze me. The other side of it is that the string of games they won didn't spark much more than a "we'll see when they come back down to earth." Could never change colors or step away from watching the game, and will still go to 1-2 games a year to catch up with friends and tailgate, it's just an unfortunate cycle or being hyped during the offseason and snapping back to reality.  There's plenty of teams across all leagues that are perpetually mediocre or worse, so there's always that. Always next year.