Expectations from Joe Douglas conference tomorrow.

Do you think there will be anything substantial to com from Joe tomorrow, or just the typical company line pointing out positives from the season, but also saying there is obvious room for improvement?

He's had enough time to observe, and now this is his chance to really start putting his fingerprints on the team.  I want him to talk honestly about this season and give an idea about his goal on how to put us in a better position.  That's what I'm hopeful for.

you?

Hopefully something like this.   " Thanks everyone for coming. I have a short statement to make, then I will spend as long as you want answering your questions. First, I was raised in two organizations that are used to playing, and winning, next week. That will change here. Second, you all saw what I saw this year, and that's we don't have any NFL caliber O linemen, WR's or pass rushers, and I won't stop until that isn't the case anymore. "

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

If we’re getting the typical vague non answer answers then nothing has changed. Some public evaluation of personnel, changes he plans on implementing to improve the state of the team should be verbalized to the fan base. Douglas is making a ton of money. If the Johnson’s continue to keep the blinds drawn then the franchise is hopeless. 

19 minutes ago, section314 said:

Hopefully something like this.   " Thanks everyone for coming. I have a short statement to make, then I will spend as long as you want answering your questions. First, I was raised in two organizations that are used to playing, and winning, next week. That will change here. Second, you all saw what I saw this year, and that's we don't have any NFL caliber O linemen, WR's or pass rushers, and I won't stop until that isn't the case anymore. "

I start the molding the statue from the end of the last sentence.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Do you think there will be anything substantial to com from Joe tomorrow, or just the typical company line pointing out positives from the season, but also saying there is obvious room for improvement?

He's had enough time to observe, and now this is his chance to really start putting his fingerprints on the team.  I want him to talk honestly about this season and give an idea about his goal on how to put us in a better position.  That's what I'm hopeful for.

you?

No expectations and no hope of honesty or forthrightness.  That's just not how these events tend to go.  It's PR and league mandates, nothing more.

I look forward to seeing Douglas get to work, and start making moves and decisions this offseason.  That, actions, is what matters.  Not words.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No expectations and no hope of honesty or forthrightness.  That's just not how these events tend to go.  It's PR and league mandates, nothing more.

I look forward to seeing Douglas get to work, and start making moves and decisions this offseason.  That, actions, is what matters.  Not words.

When you’re going on year 10 of no playoffs, communication to the fans of what needs to specifically improve on the player personnel side as it relates to talent evaluation is important. Why should the fans have any faith in this guy? Because of Chris Johnson? He’s getting paid 7 million a year. 2 press conferences a year and vague nonsense shouldn’t be the standard. Jets fans don’t seem to expect anything.

Just now, Matt39 said:

When you’re going on year 10 of no playoffs, communication to the fans of what needs to specifically improve on the player personnel side as it relate to talent evaluation is important. Why should the fans have any faith in this guy? Because of Chris Johnson? 

JD needs to provide us with some hope some plan, season ticket sales depend on this too for 2020. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That’s fair.  I could care less about press conferences.  I just want to see them get to work and get results 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Matt39 said:

When you’re going on year 10 of no playoffs, communication to the fans of what needs to specifically improve on the player personnel side as it relate to talent evaluation is important.

Says who?  Will ticket sales decline because of tomorrows presser?  I doubt it.  So no, it's not important (to the organization) at all.

Just now, Matt39 said:

Why should the fans have any faith in this guy?

They shouldn't.  Faith is for Church. 

We fans should evaluate based on actions and performance only.

Just now, Matt39 said:

Because of Chris Johnson? 

Hardly.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, nycdan said:

As long as he talks about his plan to improve the interior of the defensive line through the draft, I'm good.

The interior of the defensive line is already fine.  It's the pass rusher on the edges we never address.

Baby Huey with his braces is not as good as Shepherd or Fatso

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Says who?  Will ticket sales decline because of tomorrows presser?  I doubt it.  So no, it's not important (to the organization) at all.

They shouldn't.  Faith is for Church. 

We fans should evaluate based on actions and performance only.

Hardly.

You’re right. Fans don’t seem to care. Not sure why I do either.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If we’re getting the typical vague non answer answers then nothing has changed. Some public evaluation of personnel, changes he plans on implementing to improve the state of the team should be verbalized to the fan base. Douglas is making a ton of money. If the Johnson’s continue to keep the blinds drawn then the franchise is hopeless. 

Why would he tell the whole world his plans? 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

JD needs to provide us with some hope some plan, season ticket sales depend on this too for 2020. 

Meh.

Tomorrow's conference will have 0 impact on future ticket sales.  No one will remember what he said in 2 weeks.

If they are concerned about future ticket sales start next season the way they ended this one,  6-2.  Finish the season the way they finished this one, 6-2.  Win the division, and homefield  thru the playoffs.

Place will be a rocking sea of green in January

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Meh.

Tomorrow's conference will have 0 impact on future ticket sales.  No one will remember what he said in 2 weeks.

If they are concerned about future ticket sales start next season the way they ended this one,  6-2.  Finish the season the way they finished this one, 6-2.  Win the division, and homefield  thru the playoffs.

Place will be a rocking sea of green in January

Actions speak louder than words. 

There are times in life and work when you have to perform a function; you can NEVER exceed expectations and there is little or no upside, no matter how well you do or what risks you take. There are, however, plenty of downside. The goal of this press conference to complete a league requirement and to NOT MESS up. If you have any doubts, just flash back to Idzik's press conference.

If Joe isn't vague and says anything substantial it is a sign that he isn't ready for this job.

• Upvote 1

We're likely going to get virtually nothing out of his press conference. Then this thread will turn into who we should draft and trade for and why keeping Jamal is good and bad. Some account with low rep/posts will propose some idiotic trade in which the Jets send Nate Hariston and Lachlan Edwards for Kenny Golladay and a 2nd round pick. He'll get flamed and then it will get locked. And I can' t wait. 

23 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

There are times in life and work when you have to perform a function; you can NEVER exceed expectations and there is little or no upside, no matter how well you do or what risks you take. There are, however, plenty of downside. The goal of this press conference to complete a league requirement and to NOT MESS up. If you have any doubts, just flash back to Idzik's press conference.

If Joe isn't vague and says anything substantial it is a sign that he isn't ready for this job.

The Seattle Seahawks, specifically John Schneider are one of the more #cuttingedge franchises in professional sports. He's had zero issue in sharing some of the methodology they're using to create an edge in personnel evaluation. We know Joe Douglas worked for the Eagles, played offensive line and likes old school wrestling. Some clarity on how he wants to implement a process I think would be a start. He's not going to lose the press conference.