Luke Kuechly retires @ 28

One other point....It was respectable of him to do this now, with a couple months until Free Agency and the Draft, so that the Panthers could plan for this.  Compare that to Andrew Luck (who I do think gave it a go and tried to get healthy) but put off his decision until just weeks before the season started leaving Indy completely unprepared.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

Sad to see him go but I understand it! Hell 68 million made by 28? He’s set for life and can set his next generation up as well kudos to him! 

Also this is news for us because you gotta think Isaiah Simmons is about to shoot up the panthers draft board. 

Was thinking the same thing.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Great player.  Burned bright but burned short. Sounds like he's not interested in taking a beating while the team rebuilds under a new coach and likely new QB.

I think this trend will continue.  Make some big bank and then get out while you still have your marbles.  I'm sure he'll find a way to survive with the $63M in career earnings he's made over 8 years.

He seems like a good candidate to be an analyst somewhere right away too, to make some more coin.  Guy has a likable personality. 

Plus he has a Business Marketing degree from Boston College, which he completed in 2015.  That's good for something.

As a BC grad/fan it's sad to see him have to hang it up, but watching his video he said that he wants to play but just can't and its the smart move.  I just hope he doesnt have long term issues.

True MLB in every sense of the word. Fast, tough and smart.  Might not have played long enough to make the HOF but it should be close.  

• Sympathy 1

As you guys can imagine, he's very popular down here.

If he decides to stay in the area, he can have his pick of spokesman roles, probably a local broadcasting job with the team or local tv if a network doesn't hire him.

My guess is ESPN or Fox Sports grab him though

• Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Sad to see him go but I understand it! Hell 68 million made by 28? He’s set for life and can set his next generation up as well kudos to him! 

Also this is news for us because you gotta think Isaiah Simmons is about to shoot up the panthers draft board. 

This.

Said it when Luck retired.  You’re going see more and more of this.  Take that big second contract signing bonus and get out while your brain and body still works.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

44 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

How is it crazy?  He’s 28 and has had maybe 50 concussions and wants to live past 50

3 concussions. But I get what your saying. it's just crazy to me because he's a 5 time all pro and only 28. He Hasn't had a concussion in atleast 2 years? He was really fun to watch. Reminded me of Urlacher.

But good for him. Leave on top with a boatload of money.

As much as I can admit I'm not always on board with some players' decision-making, I'll always have respect for those who opt to hang it up early.  Many of these guys make more than most of us could ever dream of, and frankly could still make more on top of that if they chose. However, the consequences of the game are serious and need to be considered, and setting up not only your family, but yourself personally, for a better life by taking a lesser amount of still lots and lots of money in exchange for (hopefully) future health is a smart way to go.  It's also probably a lot easier said than done for most who have played this game throughout most of their lives, but others suggested, that can quickly start to change as it becomes a more common occurrence throughout the league, especially among higher level talents.

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

One other point....It was respectable of him to do this now, with a couple months until Free Agency and the Draft, so that the Panthers could plan for this.  Compare that to Andrew Luck (who I do think gave it a go and tried to get healthy) but put off his decision until just weeks before the season started leaving Indy completely unprepared.

Yup that reminded me of Barry Sanders who pulled the same crap on the Lions, right after FA and the draft.

Smart guy.

Had a great career, made enough money to set himself and his family up for life, then got out while he still has his faculties intact.

With the money now on offer on 2nd contracts, coupled with the growing concern over the physical toll of the NFL, we are going to see more and more of this in the future.

4 hours ago, SR24 said:

will help since we need 1 of the top 3 OTs or top 2 WRs to drop to us as that would help very much.