Rumors, Leaks, Reports, Whines, in 2020 Free Agency

jetstream23

5 minutes ago, chrisfaceoff said:

The second 3rd round pick and a 6th.

Thats it.  Anything higher and its more counterproductive than it already is.

One thing to keep in mind is that TW is basically on a two year deal-one left on his contract, which is cheap, the other his Franchise Tag. 

fant

Ideally, you want a sure thing to protect your franchise quarterback -- and Fant isn't a sure thing. The former undrafted free agent (2016) played only one season of college football and was forced into the Seahawks' lineup as a rookie. He was projected as the starter in 2017, but he blew out an ACL and missed the season. He started three games last season, plus the wild-card game. Overall, he has never played more than 63% of the offensive snaps in a season.

-Cimini

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Don't sign this very old guy looking for one last big $$$ contract. He'll just fake an injury or 'retire' on the field. Forget about giving any draft pick much less a high 2nd.

Williams is a spring chicken compared to guys like Whitworth, Staley, Peters...all who are still playing at a above average level. His injury history and the whole cancer situation is reason to have concern, not his age.

• Upvote 3

If they’ll take one of our 3rd’s and a conditional pick in 2021, then I absolutely make the move.

Williams and Fant as our bookend tackles, sign Van Roten and bring back Alex Lewis, draft a legit #1 wideout for Darnold in the 1st round then grab a center like Ruiz, Cushenberry or Hennessy at #48.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Williams is a spring chicken compared to guys like Whitworth, Staley, Peters...all who are still playing at a above average level. His injury history and the whole cancer situation is reason to have concern, not his age.

It's all in the same bowl of stew.  Id also add that he is a malcontent who was happy to sit out the entire season. We already have one of those on the roster. 

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You see, this is the good version of holding the line.... not 2 million difference on glasgow. that's what the caps for. 

While I agree with the statement, we haven't seen the real deets on what transpired. Was Glasgow not into coming here? Was he trying to use us for leverage? Did JD just tire of it and tell him to go screw?   We just don't know.  If it was merely the $2 mil I would have to agree. 

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If they’ll take one of our 3rd’s and a conditional pick in 2021, then I absolutely make the move.

Williams and Fant as our bookend tackles, sign Van Roten and bring back Alex Lewis, draft a legit #1 wideout for Darnold in the 1st round then grab a center like Ruiz, Cushenberry or Hennessy at #48.

I could get behind this.

Although I'd still be looking at a tackle @ 11, and look to WR in either the second or third rounds - we'll need some insurance behind Fant and Williams, as well plan for the future. 

1 minute ago, GREENBEAN said:

While I agree with the statement, we haven't seen the real deets on what transpired. Was Glasgow not into coming here? Was he trying to use us for leverage? Did JD just tire of it and tell him to go screw?   We just don't know.  If it was merely the $2 mil I would have to agree. 

money was the reason we pulled out. 

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

It's all in the same bowl of stew.  Id also add that he is a malcontent who was happy to sit out the entire season. We already have one of those on the roster. 

True but gambling on an OT at 11 when it's increasingly more likely there's no OT at 11 is a tough tough gamble, especially when watching all these other teams build around their young QB

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Still don’t have much interest in patch work signings if he doesn’t fulfill potential.

Why?

Clearly this is a signing that indicates that they will be looking at OT in the draft.  Which is exactly what they should be doing.  The alternative is paying big money for a guy another team is letting walk away for nothing.

1 minute ago, SR24 said:

True but gambling on an OT at 11 when it's increasingly more likely there's no OT at 11 is a tough tough gamble, especially when watching all these other teams build around their young QB

Sure, I don't dispute that but Williams is a tired old turd who has been grumbling for over a year. I don't think he's the guy we give premium draft capital for the right to overpay.  a 4th? Sure. A 2nd? Go to hell. 

There are so many concerns with him. Another is that he hasen't played a full season since 2015. ya know? 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

This guy is no big loss. If we lose Fowler over $2mm, then we have a reason to be pissed.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TeddEY said:

Why?

Clearly this is a signing that indicates that they will be looking at OT in the draft.  Which is exactly what they should be doing.  The alternative is paying big money for a guy another team is letting walk away for nothing.

I’m along the line of thinking that Fant is wanting to be the starting LT this season because he wanted to be one with Seattle. I understand taking Fant doesn’t mean we don’t take an OT at 11, on the other hand, I feel uneasy about trusting him with a starting position. He’s very unproven. He has some tape that stands out though. Raw guy.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

These are all going to be patchwork signings so....

I don’t think you understand what patch work means but ok.

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Sure, I don't dispute that but Williams is a tired old turd who has been grumbling for over a year. I don't think he's the guy we give premium draft capital for the right to overpay.  a 4th? Sure. A 2nd? Go to hell. 

There are so many concerns with him. Another is that he hasen't played a full season since 2015. ya know? 

Oh there's some concern for sure but if the price drops to a 3rd I'm all over it. We'd have enough cap to sign McGovern as well they''d be two solid additions to this Oline and would give us some flexibility at #11. Hope there's a OT there but if not be ready to pounce on CeeDee or Jeudy. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

The most we will ever know is some dopey beat reporter's speculation on what happened.  Manish or some other equivalent will blurt out speculation that came from his butt and before it hits toilet paper, 50% of the posters here will assume it's true and start 20 page threads ranting about it.  Can't wait.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SR24 said:

There are probably going to be seven OT's taken in the first round.  The big 4 (Thomas, Wirfs, Wills,

Becton) plus these 3 "forgotten" ones Ezra Cleveland, Austin Jackson and Josh Jones

• Upvote 1