You can give one player $15M/year. Do you pick Jamal Adams or Robby Anderson?

jetstream23

You can give one player $15M/year. Do you pick Jamal Adams or Robby Anderson?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you pick to sign to a $15M per year deal?

• Robby Anderson
    • Jamal Adams

Neither. As much as I like Anderson, he's not worth 15 million. Let him walk. With Adams I was on the fence for a while, but now I'm leaning towards trading him. If JD plays his cards right he can get back a haul for him which would go a long way to making this team a contender with a legit NFL offense.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, King P said:

People are hung up on giving a safety that much, but there's no way you could justify picking Robbie over Jamal in this instance. And I like Robbie.

Ultimately, I'm not hung up on position. I want playmakers and elite/top tier players, regardless of position.

Jamal is more than a safety. He is a gifted football player who rips the ball out of a QB’s hands to win a game. Also he disrupts two point conversion to win another game. He makes tackles behind the line of scrimmage and gets sacks. The Jets should not even entertain trading him. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Neither? But the sole criteria for any personnel expenditure this offseason should be, does this help Sam Darnold? If the answer is “no,” then you pass on it. The problem with Robby is that for every great play he makes, he screws up another five plays by being in the wrong place or not coming down with the catch because he’s such a wimp. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Neither? But the sole criteria for any personnel expenditure this offseason should be, does this help Sam Darnold? If the answer is “no,” then you pass on it. The problem with Robby is that for every great play he makes, he screws up another five plays by being in the wrong place or not coming down with the catch because he’s such a wimp. 

Screws up 5 plays for every good one?  Doesn’t come down with catch because he is a wimp?   Did you watch the games last year?   I’m asking because I did and I saw nothing like that.  

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/robby-anderson/

im adding this link because I don’t remember any Robbie Anderson drops.   According to this he had two all of last year.  Maybe you are thinking about 2 years ago when he had a few fumbles?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, slats said:

I get the premise but, at the end of the day, Robby is gonna sign for somewhere less than $15M, and Adams is going to sign for more. So at that number, sure, Adams is the better value. I'd rather sign Robby in the $12M range and trade Jamal. 

+1

This helps Darnold the most. Absent that, the team isn't winning the division or making the playoffs (let alone winning a SB). 

Heading into 2020, the Jets have holes or needed upgrades at all 5 OL positions (just Winters, Harrison, and Edoga are under-contract "starters"), and the only healthy starter under contract at WR is Crowder (expect Enunwa to sit out 2020, or at least expect it through the 2020 FA and draft periods). Even in the unlikely event they kept & started all 3 of those schlubs, that means heading into FA that's a minimum 4 starters on offense that are needed right now - at positions in high demand around the league. With Winters an expected cut that makes it 5 starters needed if they lock in both Harrison and Edoga to start. Probably one of those two will end up starting - hopefully Edoga, and it's for merit reasons rather than desperation and another on-field tryout - but more likely than not I think at least one of them is not starting. That makes 6. But it's also possible Edoga is no better than last year, and honestly Harrison is more a very good backup than a good starter. In that case we could be looking at a Full Monty of 7 offensive starters needed for 2020 alone. That's assuming no more TE injuries and Bell is still returning as the full-time starter. 

I've got more confidence in G.Williams figuring out how to field a competent defense sans Adams - all other good defenses seem to be able to - than Darnold taking the next leap without the hole-filling resources an Adams trade could theoretically provide (both in terms of spending ability and additional high draft picks). 

However I expect Adams to stay here long term, as I'd be shocked if anyone meets the alleged demands Douglas has set (two 1st round picks). Seems steep for a box safety who wants a new contract right now, and otherwise has 1 cheap year remaining at $3.5MM in new cash, plus a not-so-cheap 5th year option remaining (as a top 10 pick it's the same as the transition tag). That 5th year option for 2021 will be about $12MM after Anthony Harris signs and displaces the #15 safety salary. But this presumes he plays the good soldier for the next 2 years absent an extension that significantly raises both figures. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Simple poll.  Pick the player you'd prefer to see the Jets spend $15M per year on over something like a 4-5 year contract.

Not so simple since "neither, spend the $15 million elsewhere" was not an option.

I wouldn't pay either.

I would trade Adams for picks, and let Anderson walk.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Another reason it would be Adams, if trading him for multiple high picks (my preference) is not among the options, as much as I value WR over SS:

Anderson is a UFA (he will be in a couple weeks), and his career at today's value is likely to be shorter than Adams. While he's kept out of the news of late, it's hard to argue he isn't a knucklehead, and now he'll be a knucklehead with eff you money. Anyway, barring the $15MM average being fake, and elevated by a bloated $20MM final year he'll never see; and barring the Jets myopically trying to manipulate this so 2020 has as low a cap number as possible - effectively guaranteeing a second season for skill - his cap numbers should be right around that $15MM/year average throughout. 

Adams, on the other hand, is under contract for 1 more season (and team control for 2 more years). Even his biggest detractors would agree he seems a monumentally lower risk than Anderson for turning Mo/TruJohnson right after getting this payday (he's already pocketed almost $20MM from the Jets to date). Anyway, since he's not a UFA now, his $15MM/year will be an extension to his current contract, and a new signing bonus would get spread over 6 years -- unlike Anderson this is 6 years he has a realistic chance of playing through without getting cut for skill. 

Thinking of a $15MM/yr Adams deal as 6 years $87MM beyond 2020, that would tie him to the Jets through the 2026 season. His cap hit in 2020 would grow by $3.2MM, from $7.1 to $10.33 - not too bad considering the extension size (hey now) - and after that the remaining $84MM would be spread over 6 years ($14MM average). But that $14MM average will likely be uneven, so it'd start in 2021 in the $12MM range and grow from there as the salary cap rises each year. 

But by the time he's in the last 2-3 years of this contract, the salary cap should already reach/exceed the quarter-billion mark. A $16MM cap hit then would be ~6% of the cap, so it'd "feel" like $11.5MM did in 2019. Anderson, on the other hand, is prime candidate to last no more than 2 years before the team moves on, so he'll feel like that full $15MM for both of those 2 seasons, with a good chance that's followed by a veteran replacement via FA/trade thereafter, whose contract will be even higher.  

As much as I think Darnold's development is the #1 priority, assuming Adams is off the table as an option, at equal $15MM/year contracts this decision is easy. Hey, at least it makes it that much less likely for Douglas to burn a 1st round pick on a safety for the next several years.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1