Would Trent Williams Deal Rule out Conklin in Free Agency?

Joe Douglas

As you probably know by now, the Washington Redskins have given Trent Williams permission to seek a trade.  Williams, a 9-time pro bowl left tackle is expected to fetch the Redskins some premium draft capital while his new team will look to negotiate a new deal that will undoubtedly approach the $20 million per year range.

Some non-airport news …

According to multiple league sources, the #Jets are among the teams pursuing #Redskins LT Trent Williams.

— Connor Hughes (@Connor_J_Hughes) March 6, 2020

According to Connor Hughes of the athletic, the Jets are among those teams interested, but if they were to add Williams, could that rule out the possibility of pursuing right tackle Jack Conklin in free agency?

The Jets currently have $49 million in cap space but should expect to settle in somewhere between $70-80 million after cuts and a cap increase following a new CBA.  Even with that much to spend, the thought of adding Williams and Conklin would eat up close to half of the team’s cap room while they reportedly look to re-sign Robby Anderson and should be looking to add at least one starting caliber cornerback, which is likely to cost at least another $13 million.

The thought of an elite left tackle is enticing, but the thought of an elite left tackle with a notable injury history and enormous price tag that prevents you from adding a much younger player on the O-line, be it Conklin or a player such as Joe Thuney could be a different story.

The post Would Trent Williams Deal Rule out Conklin in Free Agency? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
D6q6YSz2evE

Click here to read the full story...

8 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Let's see, spend draft capital and spend 15+ million or just spend 15+. million?

I wouldn't touch Williams. 

On the other hand, there is no guarantee that Conklin comes here.  Even if we make the best offer.  If we can work out a trade with Washington, we know we have our starting LT.  I am not thrilled with the idea of a pick and a big contract, but at least it would give us certainty.

Douglas at least has to pick up the phone and call Washington.

• Upvote 4

Most likely, because they can still draft an OT at 11, have him play RT.

I’d still rather sign Jason Peters on a 2 year deal (cuttable after 1) draft OT at 11, and have him take over for Peters when he retires.

Sign Glasgow, resign Lewis. 

Draft a Center in the 3rd.

I think that’s a practical OL overhaul for one offseason.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Jets have had little to no luck with players in the low risk high reward category. These were players coming off football related injuries. Much less a life threatening condition. Are you sure he is the same player? I’m not sure. People I have known have not been the same after facing a similar life changing condition. Would I like to see him make it back, absolutely. Just not sue where his head is mentally and that’s the problem when a team as talent starved on the O-Line as the Jets plan B is is a disaster. Not sure it’s worth the risk.

19 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Very reasonable plan.  I think the jets are pretty much married to taking an OT at 11 assuming one of the top 4 is there.  RT is a critical position with darnold always rolling to his right.  This should be done regardless of whether they trade for Trent or not.

Absolutely! Another thing is in today’s game, shot gun is used majority of the snaps, eliminating a blind side.

Defenses adjust by lining their best pass rusher against mismatches on the OL.

RT is almost just as important as LT now.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Absolutely! Another thing is in today’s game, shot gun is used majority of the snaps, eliminating a blind side.

Defenses adjust by lining their best pass rusher against mismatches on the OL.

RT is almost just as important as LT now.

It is and rts are being paid accordingly. 

• Upvote 2

Really hoping the Jets have no real interest and are just in the communication loop in case it turns out that he can be had cheap. Jets can't be throwing a second or two thirds plus a big contract to one 31-year-old tackle who sat out last year. Two or three players' worth of resources for one questionable guy? No thank you. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, slats said:

Really hoping the Jets have no real interest and are just in the communication loop in case it turns out that he can be had cheap. Jets can't be throwing a second or two thirds plus a big contract to one 31-year-old tackle who sat out last year. Two or three players' worth of resources for one questionable guy? No thank you. 

Exactly

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, I'd love to have Williams for a 3rd, but two 3rds or a 2nd is too steep for my taste.

If you can steal him for a 3rd, do it. If the trade compensation is higher than that, let someone else make the move.

• Upvote 4

it's all pretty hard to figure out, especially until the new cba is in place.  sure they shouldn't waste money on broken down players but they have also done pretty well with free agents in the past like mawae, faneca, woody, etc.  i wouldn't rule williams out on this basis although 20 million per season is way high and that could be allocated to guys like glasgow, vitai, conklin, etc.  and even if they do sign some of these guys they should still be looking oline in the draft although maybe not with their top picks.

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Dude couldn't put a helmet on last year because of a tumor in his head. Let's trade for him.

It all depends on how the medicals check out. I'd rather have a guy who had a benign tumor than a guy with a history of shoulder injuries, just as an example. My main gripe would be giving up assents and still having to sign him to a new contract. So it all depends on the price tag and the salary implications. If we can get him for our third and a conditional 5th or 6th next year plus Williamson to ease the salary burden that would sure be more palatable than if Washington was asking for a 2nd and 3rd without taking any salary back would seem less attractive to the Jets.

He's on the wrong side of 30 but a lot of O-linemen play at a high level way into their 30s and he still a superior player when healthy. Let's not forget that the Jets are not exactly in a luxury position here, they need to protect Darnold and if they can get an upgrade like this at LT it will give actually give them flexibility in FA and the draft. For example, they can focus on OG only in FA and once the draft rolls around they have some flexibility as far as whether to take an OT in Rd. 1 or wait until Rd. 2 for a more developmental player, maybe taking Jeudy in Rd. 1 instead. Something I wouldn't be comfortable doing with Beachum, but with a guy like Williams you would think the position is solidified for at least two years.   

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SR24 said:

This is total BS! Yea, if he played last year & wasn't an injury risk. No way in hell the Skins are getting a #2 plus the team trading for him has to pay big bucks. I'm saying right now you won't see that happen & if it does? That GM should be fired! My god, look what older guys with questions like Santonio Holmes & Brandon Marshall went for in trades (I think they were both 5ths?).  They were f*cking stud WRs but if there is any question it drops those picks tremendously. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bocajetfan said:

Jets have had little to no luck with players in the low risk high reward category. These were players coming off football related injuries. Much less a life threatening condition. Are you sure he is the same player? I’m not sure. People I have known have not been the same after facing a similar life changing condition. Would I like to see him make it back, absolutely. Just not sue where his head is mentally and that’s the problem when a team as talent starved on the O-Line as the Jets plan B is is a disaster. Not sure it’s worth the risk.

I'd make the trade, but you make some good points here. ?

38 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I wouldn't do a 2 and I wouldn't do two 3rds.  I'm open to a late 3rd or less......but the Redskins probably aren't.

I’d go with a 2020 3rd and a 2021 3rd but no higher than that. I keep refreshing twitter like an addict to see if he’s been moved yet lol 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Butterfield said:

They have to sign 2-3 lineman, so I don’t think it should but it all depends on the price tags.  

Williams would rule out Conklin and Thuney. Not sure they could get either but they definitely wouldn't be able to get both.

16 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Williams would rule out Conklin and Thuney. Not sure they could get either but they definitely wouldn't be able to get both.

if we trade for Williams we should immediately pivot to McGovern he’s probably not going to get more than $8mil-9mil/year 

If the Jets somehow acquired Trent Williams, I don't think that stops them from acquiring Jack Conklin.

I think that would be it for the OL signings.  Draft a C in the second and a G in the third.   Use the first round pick for a WR.

But acquiring Williams means using a second or third round pick for him.  The opportunity in this draft is in the WRs.  27 WR with starting grades.  The Jets could basically draft 2 WRs who play in the first three rounds.  That could be big jumping off point.  

So maybe they go with an OL that is all FA, and draft WRs and maybe a C.  

What has been the trade price paid for players over 30 with large contracts.  You pay for guys like Minkah still on their rookie deal.   The Redskins save $12.5mm by just cutting Trent.   There is more of a game of chicken here than we think.  Offer them a 4.  

How is it reasonable to trade valuable draft picks for Williams AND pay him a ton of money not knowing if he will ever be close to the player he was. Trent Williams might think he's healthy and might want to prove to the world that he still is a top OT but even he doesn't know what his body can handle after what he's been through. Too many if's. Now if the Jets can make everything conditional then maybe a deal can be reached. Conditional 2021 picks and his contract needs to be conditional also. If not then no deal - too much risk here.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Lith said:

On the other hand, there is no guarantee that Conklin comes here.  Even if we make the best offer.  If we can work out a trade with Washington, we know we have our starting LT.  I am not thrilled with the idea of a pick and a big contract, but at least it would give us certainty.

Douglas at least has to pick up the phone and call Washington.

The certainty is the contract would eat up a considerable amount of our cap for a player whose injury history screams of  extreme uncertainty to stay healthy. This is not the path of least resistance.