JOE DOUGLAS CRUSHES FIRST DRAFT AS JETS' GM - TDN

Other than the Morgan pick this was a great draft.  Obviously it’s been pretty highly praised by many people.  I understand some wanted more WR but to be honest the only other ones I wanted were off the board early and we had to many other holes that needed to be addressed 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, fullblast said:

That's pretty high praise. He definitely measures well, hopefully it all translates over.

Many people had him as a first rounder or very early 2nd rounder. I know some people are worried that he dropped so far but honestly I’ve seen many very good receivers drop in drafts.  I’m just happy it benefited us for a change 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Other than the Morgan pick this was a great draft.  Obviously it’s been pretty highly praised by many people.  I understand some wanted more WR but to be honest the only other ones I wanted were off the board early and we had to many other holes that needed to be addressed 

We won't know how good the Morgen pick was for 2-3 years. I thought we took him a little early too but the kid has a world of talent and after this draft, I'm not second guessing JD on anything.

57 minutes ago, Mackman55 said:

We won't know how good the Morgen pick was for 2-3 years. I thought we took him a little early too but the kid has a world of talent and after this draft, I'm not second guessing JD on anything.

I like the player but my only issue is the spot

35 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You underestimate his appeal. Several teams liked him and it seems JD has his finger on the pulse of everyone else out there. He seems to be much more connected to others in the know than was Mac.  
     The trade down from 48 to 59 literally yielded Morgan and Clark.  I like both picks.  They were gravy. Pick Mims at 48, we get neither.  If that's what JD wanted there, it is A-O-K by me. He earned it.  Plus, I like the picks. In fact I'm really happy with the Clark pick.  Both picks will help us one day.  

Plus we get NE's 6th rounder next year.

• Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You underestimate his appeal. Several teams liked him and it seems JD has his finger on the pulse of everyone else out there. He seems to be much more connected to others in the know than was Mac.  
     The trade down from 48 to 59 literally yielded Morgan and Clark.  I like both picks.  They were gravy. Pick Mims at 48, we get neither.  If that's what JD wanted there, it is A-O-K by me. He earned it.  Plus, I like the picks. In fact I'm really happy with the Clark pick.  Both picks will help us one day.  

I don’t hate it but just would if rather something else.  Still one of the best drafts in the league 

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I keep hearing that but with all the picks NE had they would have picked Morgan at the end of the 4th or in the 5th. Keeping him from them helps as much as having him for ourselves. 

I get that.  I don’t hate it.  I like the player.  

26 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Plus we get NE's 6th rounder next year.

Which we gave to them for Demarious Thomas :o  

I'm not sure if it's the exact pick (probably not) but still. It was great for JD to swing that little bit extra to get something back for his necessity moves last season. 

14 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I don’t hate it but just would if rather something else.  Still one of the best drafts in the league 

I hate the player selection. I've been to FIU games. That place is an abyss and I struggle to see the value of grabbing a QB from that school. I get the Pats piece, but I wouldn't place all that much value of taking a player because BB wanted him. I LOVED this draft but there were some serously talented guys on the board that would have helped us much more than Morgasm imo. @bla bla bla said a good point on the talking Jets panel tonight. JD won 2 of his 3 SB rings with a backup QB so I can understand why he wanted to grab a QB. and Gase wants his long term backup to mold in his own image behind Sam. I get it but I hate the selection and where he was selected. 

F for the Morgan pick for me! 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is literally what we say about every new GM's first draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000491832/article/afc-east-draft-grades-mike-maccagnan-crushes-first-jets-draft

1) NEW YORK JETS: General manager Mike Maccagnan deserves kudos for his astute management of the draft board last weekend. The first-time decision maker showed exceptional discipline and poise while acquiring blue-chip talent throughout the draft. Landing Leonard Williams was certainly an unexpected event, but taking the best player available could help the Jets field a dominant defense for the next five years. With Lorenzo Mauldin also coming on board as a third-round pick, Gang Green fortified its top unit with smart drafting. Second-round selection Devin Smith gives the Jets' aerial attack a vertical stretch receiver. His speed and explosiveness will open up the field for Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, while giving Geno Smith a big-play option on every play. Bryce Petty will not compete for the starting QB job in 2015, but matching the Baylor standout with a creative play designer (Chan Gailey) could pay off for New York down the road. GRADE: A

Literally indeed. The exact same phrase lol. 

Loved the "exceptional discipline" that was required to get Leonard Williams to fall to 6. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

The trade down from 48 to 59 literally yielded Morgan and Clark.  I like both picks.  They were gravy. Pick Mims at 48, we get neither. 

Exactly. Half the board was killing JD for not taking Mims at 48, and trading down.

Then he got Mims at 59 anyway, and used his two extra 4th rounders to take Morgan and Clark.

He was playing with house money and essentially got two guys he liked for free in the 4th round - both of whom are good prospects who should provide good value to the team.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Many people had him as a first rounder or very early 2nd rounder. I know some people are worried that he dropped so far but honestly I’ve seen many very good receivers drop in drafts.  I’m just happy it benefited us for a change 

Agreed and because there were so many good prospects at WR it’s just possible he lost out by a narrow margin in some of those earlier  picks...on another year he likely goes higher....well that’s the glass half full way I intend to look at it. 
loved him throughout the pre-draft process and was overjoyed when we got him at 59. 
we are long overdue catching a break in the 2nd round so let’s hope Joe D changes the long standing culture of failure we’ve endured with 2nd round picks....I’m sure we are not alone, it may be a league wide trait but the 2nd Is such a key area we need to be finding more starters and instant contributors like Marcus Maye and David Harris and less Jace Amaro’s 

I hate the player selection. I've been to FIU games. That place is an abyss and I struggle to see the value of grabbing a QB from that school. I get the Pats piece, but I wouldn't place all that much value of taking a player because BB wanted him. I LOVED this draft but there were some serously talented guys on the board that would have helped us much more than Morgasm imo. [mention=32668]bla bla bla[/mention] said a good point on the talking Jets panel tonight. JD won 2 of his 3 SB rings with a backup QB so I can understand why he wanted to grab a QB. and Gase wants his long term backup to mold in his own image behind Sam. I get it but I hate the selection and where he was selected. 
F for the Morgan pick for me! 

Because you’ve been there and you don’t like the school?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

If GB can take a QB in the 1st or 2nd (I forget) I’m ok with a 4th rd. development QB to light a fire under Sam’s ass. The mono pissed me off. 
You're the team leader. Quit kissing spring break girls in Daytona Beach. JD expecting big things from Sam or next man up. Accountability  

imo there should be no issues with the morgan pick.  he's going to back up darnold and move fales to third qb.  the point is they needed a decent back up and just how many free agents would've come cheap enough or even be interested enough.  semian should've played much better than he did (before he broke his ankle).  he seemed uninterested and not up to the task.  so who else is out there?  flacco? superman?  both of these guys are either done or done.

• Upvote 1

On 4/28/2020 at 10:12 PM, GQMartin said:

Does it mean anything to Jets fans considering Maccagnan received the honor as well?

Macc only won that award because he went for the instant gratification route in '15.  It was a fun season, but it was the last bit of fun we'd have in his tenure.

JD is slow-playing the rebuild, and that's the right call.  We're a 6-7 win team next year unless Darnold explodes.  No way he wins Exec of the year if that's the result.  But the moves he's made make it so 2021 and beyond should be a lot of fun.  

We won’t know until they play the games. But I thought JD did a good job of filling holes on this roster. And many of his mid round picks were highly rated players among most analysts. his maneuvering around, accumulating additional picks was masterful. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc only won that award because he went for the instant gratification route in '15.  It was a fun season, but it was the last bit of fun we'd have in his tenure.

JD is slow-playing the rebuild, and that's the right call.  We're a 6-7 win team next year unless Darnold explodes.  No way he wins Exec of the year if that's the result.  But the moves he's made make it so 2021 and beyond should be a lot of fun.  

In one year, I think he's done a really nice job improving the team's depth and raising the floor as it were. The draft added a couple immediate potential stars in Becton and Mims, then continued to fill out the depth with a few picks who could be starters within two years.

Davis will be a starter next year, the Jets aren't paying both Adams and Maye. If Bryce Hall holds up, he could be a starter this season. Guys like Perine and Zuniga may never be more than situational guys, but they should contribute right away. Clark is the kind of developmental OL I like in general, I'd try to take an athletic OL late every year. No complaints about the punter. 

Like you said, I don't expect a huge jump this year, but I do like the direction they're headed in. 

• Upvote 1