Ashtyn Davis is the most underrated pick in the 2020 NFL Draft

The NY Jets could have landed them a steal in the 2020 NFL Draft with safety Ashtyn Davis.

The NY Jets first offseason with Joe Douglas at the helm has seen a lot of new faces join Gang Green, but there may not be a single player on the team that will turn into a bigger steal than Ashtyn Davis.

The Jets took Davis with the 68th overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the fourth pick in the third round. The safety out of Cal may be the biggest steal of the entire draft as he will add a ton of value to a young Jets team for a Day 2 pick.

Davis can be a swiss army knife for the Jets this year as he has the versatility produce not only on the defensive side of the ball, but on special teams as well. Listed primarily as a safety, Davis can also add value as a cornerback and as a returner. Davis will add some much-needed depth at this position.

Ashtyn Davis provides some essential depth for the NY Jets.

This is important for many reasons. The first is that there is always the possibility of injury so having a solid option as a backup is always a positive.

Secondly, should Jamal Adams be traded instead of signing a contract extension, the new addition to the team would most likely be expected to step into the starting lineup.

Moving now to cornerback, another position Davis can be productive. The Jets have added depth at corner this offseason, however, there is still a big hole at this position as the Jets are still without a lockdown cornerback.

While Davis probably won’t provide this, he can still be productive and eat up some snaps for Gregg Williams’ defense.

Finally the thing that will make Davis the biggest steal and the most underrated, his ability in the return game. The Jets are a team that will most likely rely on defense and field-positioning in order to win games this year. Field positioning all starts with the return game.

Davis is an effective returner and can give the Jets offense plus field position, providing the Sam Darnold-led offense with better opportunities to move the ball effectively. This will be important as the offense still has many question marks in the lineup.

Before going into what he did in college that made Davis such an effective player, it is worth noting why someone with his skillset will add such value to the Jets.

Starting with the style of play that the Jets will look to play with this year, despite being led by an offensive-minded head coach, Gang Green will once again rely on their strong defense.

He will add depth to a Jets secondary that has some really strong points, as well as some weaker ones. Safety is obviously a position of strength, headlined by two-time Pro Bowler Jamal Adams, and backed by Marcus Maye.

To wrap up, Davis has shown his skills on the stat sheet. In his three years of playing 10 or more games for Cal, Davis combined for 141 total tackles, seven interceptions, nine pass defenses, and three fumble recoveries. He also averaged over 20 yards per kick return in 70 attempts.

Davis will add depth and skill at multiple positions. Providing some spark for the Jets special teams and playmaking for the defense.For a third-rounder, Davis will add tremendous value to this young Jets team, making him an extremely underrated draft pick.

• Upvote 4

I was upset about the pick at the time but he sounds pretty good but if he is to replace anyone it is going to be Marcus Maye.

Also Adams is the 'swiss army knife ' and there is no room for another unless as the article says Adams gets dealt (which he won;t)

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the jets been pretty lucky with their 4th rounders.  here's to hoping the guy is good enough to catch on.  it seems like he wants to play the game and play it well.

He was taken at the top (4th pick) of the 3rd round. Another big hole that JD filled - a true FS.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The term “slot safety” will become a very en-vogue term in the NFL in the coming seasons.  

Can’t wait for the Jamal impersonators redoing this video. Then again, I can see him doing it himself ( in a different uniform).

So according to this unsourced, poorly rationalized article, Davis is the steal of the draft but also a backup safety in 2020 unless Adams is traded. 

Davis is a free safety and his playing time has nothing to do whether Adams is here or not. If anything the writing on the wall is for Maye.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Also Adams is the 'swiss army knife ' and there is no room for another unless as the article says Adams gets dealt (which he won;t)

Adams isn't a swiss army knife.  That would require him to generate turnovers.

Davis isn't a swiss army knife either, and that's OK.  We needed a center fielder.  We didn't have one previously.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

So according to this unsourced, poorly rationalized article, Davis is the steal of the draft but also a backup safety in 2020 unless Adams is traded. 

Davis is a free safety and his playing time has nothing to do whether Adams is here or not. If anything the writing on the wall is for Maye.

Maye is always injured.  Davis will be starting at least 80% of the games

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Adams isn't a swiss army knife.  That would require him to generate turnovers.

Davis isn't a swiss army knife either, and that's OK.  We needed a center fielder.  We didn't have one previously.

quoted for truth 

Adams is a strong safety used a $LB everything

Maye is a strong safety  playing out of position at FS (when he's healthy which isn't always) 

The Jaguars game I posted yesterday (week eight) they had Darryl Roberts playing FS getting turned around by Fournette 1st play of the game, disgraceful. He also got lost on the 2nd td and the game was essentially over before it started

the Jets literally didn't have a free safety on the roster before Ashtyn Davis

I don't think he'll be the type of player that will produce huge IDP fantasy stats but Davis will make this defense much better, and free up Adams to be even more dangerous than he already is 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Maybe not this year, but for sure next Davis will be the starting FS.  Now I'm not so sure who stays or goes in the Adams/Maye saga, but I am on record as I've stated previously, if I were JD, I look to trade Adams, because he will return more capital, and move Maye to SS. I feel Maye can fill that role admirably if he stays healthy. He hits, he covers, and he can rush the passer also, and will cost 1/3 to 1/2 less than what Adams will want.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I was upset about the pick at the time but he sounds pretty good but if he is to replace anyone it is going to be Marcus Maye.

Me too.

Regarding the "swiss army knife" comment - I think you have to look at it a different way. Adams is a SS with some FS & small rush LB capabilities. Sounds like Davis is a FS with some SS & CB capabilities.  Both "swiss army knives", but with some different skillsets

I’d be more excited about his return abilities if he returned more than two punts in college. Returning kicks is barely a skill and barely a job in the NFL. 

But I don’t think that matters because I suspect he’s gonna have a big role on the defense this year. His ability to cover and play deep is going to give Gregg Williams more ways to use Jamal Adams, thus increasing his value prior to the trade deadline. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

The term “slot safety” will become a very en-vogue term in the NFL in the coming seasons.  

Good point.  I think you are correct about the position, but they will select a much catchier name.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Marcus Maye played all 16 games in two of his three seasons.  He did miss 10 in 2018 (63%)

24 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Ha!  I never shy away from playing Devil's Advocate so I'll give it a shot here....

So, we now have 3 starting caliber Safeties and 0 impact Edge Rushers!  Thanks Macc!!!!

Do I need to point out? Credit to @AFJF I tried to quote his thread, but this was easier.

15 minutes ago, slats said:

I’d be more excited about his return abilities if he returned more than two punts in college. Returning kicks is barely a skill and barely a job in the NFL. 

But I don’t think that matters because I suspect he’s gonna have a big role on the defense this year. His ability to cover and play deep is going to give Gregg Williams more ways to use Jamal Adams, thus increasing his value prior to the trade deadline. 

I almost always point this out.  Glad you beat me to it.  I am pretty happy with Berrios returning punts, but everybody is probably planning to cut him to keep some of these "potential" receivers.  I am hoping Berrios takes a big step up this year.

15 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Maye has played every game and almost every snap in two of three pro seasons.  How is that "always injured"?

• Upvote 1

It looks to be a really nice pick by JD.  I have to say, the entire draft was really nice.  Beckton was a ballsy pick and I think all of us are excited to see this huge dude on the filed even though there are anxieties about his pass blocking.  The Mimms pick was exciting and he could turn out to be the best WR in the draft.  Davis looks to be super valuable.  He may even turn out to be the full time FS.  Who can tell for sure.  Even the Morgan pick comes with tremendous potential.   

We'll all know soon enough :-) 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Bob Sanders healthy por favor

Did he ever play a 16 game season ??? All I remember about Bob Sanders is lots and lots of praise from the pundits and then, another injury.  And then, talk of how much better the defense will be when he comes back,  Then, finally he returns.  And then, a game later, injured again.  Usually soft tissue injures.   Great muscle mass and recurring soft tissue injuries... 

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Did he ever play a 16 game season ??? All I remember about Bob Sanders is lots and lots of praise from the pundits and then, another injury.  And then, talk of how much better the defense will be when he comes back,  Then, finally he returns.  And then, a game later, injured again.  Usually soft tissue injures.   Great muscle mass and recurring soft tissue injuries... 

He was a monster in 2006.  Peyton probably doesn't win that super bowl without him.

• Sympathy 1