Who would you hire???

AL047

8 hours ago, STLuLu said:

He's been in N.O. with Sean Payton the entire 14 years and still hasn't had a head coaching offer so what does that tell you?

I'm not sure, what does it tell you?  That there are a lot of stupid teams out there?

Hey maybe he likes it there, maybe he was not head coach material to start off.

A guy like Adam Gase has one good year under peyton manning and jumps into the HC ranks a couple years later.

The Jets have hired essentially coordinators for their last 3 coaches so if you are going to go that route may as well get a good one.

The process is a simple one.  First you call Peyton Manning and ask him for a list of candidates he would recommend.  Then you eliminate the entire list.  Then you call Korn Ferry and ask them for their list and do the same.  Then you ask Charlie Casserly, Roger Goodell and Pee Wee Herman and repeat.

You then call Mike Westhoff in the nursing home and offer him the job.  He and his assistant, Frank Costanza,  would do more for this team from Del Boca Vista than anyone else could.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I'm not sure, what does it tell you?  That there are a lot of stupid teams out there?

Hey maybe he likes it there, maybe he was not head coach material to start off.

A guy like Adam Gase has one good year under peyton manning and jumps into the HC ranks a couple years later.

The Jets have hired essentially coordinators for their last 3 coaches so if you are going to go that route may as well get a good one.

Is he a good one? If Payton calls all the plays how do you know if Carmichael is a good OC? Something doesn't smell right with that. I'd stay away. And if he's a coffee boy like Dunnie said and likes it there, why would you want him as a HC?

26 minutes ago, Pcola said:

We need a HC that can develop talent.  With all the draft capital we have, we have got to get production out of these picks.

As much faith as I have in Douglass, how in the hell is our entire draft injured?  

Why do you have so much faith in Douglas? He's a first-time GM--one of the more difficult jobs to do well--hired by one of the worst owner in sports' brother.

I just don't see it.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 1:48 AM, King P said:

Nick Sirianni

Arthur Smith

Joe Brady

Greg Roman

Eric Bienemy

fire gase and give Williams a shot.  if he doesn't do well, then let's look at the candidates above and let's not forget Jason Garrett.  He developed Romo and Prescott and we all will see how he develops Jones and a year away from the cowboys gig and under judge may give him a different perspective

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DeerPark said:

fire gase and give Williams a shot.  if he doesn't do well, then let's look at the candidates above and let's not forget Jason Garrett.  He developed Romo and Prescott and we all will see how he develops Jones and a year away from the cowboys gig and under judge may give him a different perspective

Williams is a discount version of Rex Ryan.  He is not the answer.

The only correct answer is Joe Brady. After what he did at LSU with Burrow and what he is going to do this season with the Panthers there will be a bidding war for his services. Learn this guys name because he is the next great NFL coach and the Jets should do whatever it takes to convince him to take this job.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Pennington said:

The only correct answer is Joe Brady. After what he did at LSU with Burrow and what he is going to do this season with the Panthers there will be a bidding war for his services. Learn this guys name because he is the next great NFL coach and the Jets should do whatever it takes to convince him to take this job.

6 hours ago, jgb said:

Why do you have so much faith in Douglas? He's a first-time GM--one of the more difficult jobs to do well--hired by one of the worst owner in sports' brother.

I just don't see it.

Because in this instance, Douglas wasn't truly a Johnson hire.  He was essentially a Gase hire.  If nothing else, Gase has some understanding of "big picture" stuff when it comes to personnel.  That gives me a lot more hope than if he'd been a pure Johnson hire.

Meanwhile, Douglas is highly respected in NFL circles, unlike our previous GM's (especially Maccagnan).  And his first draft class at the least seemed to have strong logic behind each of the picks.  He valued athleticism and premium positions with his picks.  And Becton certainly already looks like he might be a "hit", and an emphatic one at that. 

Meanwhile, he's also made good trades (Jamal and Leonard Williams were fleece-jobs, plus he traded down multiple times, and won those deals according to the "value chart"; Macc and Tannenbaum pretty much never traded down).  Everything he does seems to have Ozzie Newsome-like tendencies written all over them.  That gives me hope.  

What choice do we have but to trust Douglas?  If he fails then the next hire will be made by purely by the Johnson's, which they will of course screw up in a major way.  It's Douglas or bust until the Johnson's sell the team.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because in this instance, Douglas wasn't truly a Johnson hire.  He was essentially a Gase hire.  If nothing else, Gase has some understanding of "big picture" stuff when it comes to personnel.  That gives me a lot more hope than if he'd been a pure Johnson hire.

Meanwhile, Douglas is highly respected in NFL circles, unlike our previous GM's (especially Maccagnan).  And his first draft class at the least seemed to have strong logic behind each of the picks.  He valued athleticism and premium positions with his picks.  And Becton certainly already looks like he might be a "hit", and an emphatic one at that. 

Meanwhile, he's also made good trades (Jamal and Leonard Williams were fleece-jobs, plus he traded down multiple times, and won those deals according to the "value chart"; Macc and Tannenbaum pretty much never traded down).  Everything he does seems to have Ozzie Newsome-like tendencies written all over them.  That gives me hope.  

What choice do we have but to trust Douglas?  If he fails then the next hire will be made by purely by the Johnson's, which they will of course screw up in a major way.  It's Douglas or bust until the Johnson's sell the team.

I can hope JD is a success—and I do—but trust is earned. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course.  Just providing an answer to your request:   Reasons why people trust him.  Those are the ones I have so far.  

For the first time, the Johnsons actually hired someone I believe a reasonably smart Jets fan might have hired. So that’s a good step, at least. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Joejet said:

I don’t know Fleck but Roman has proven that he is capable of running an effective nfl offense with different styles of QBs.

Roman would be an excellent hire. Would be nice to get an actual, respected offensive mind in here. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Got my fingers crossed the Ravens connection with Douglas still holds strong haha

There's gonna be a lot of competition for Roman this off season...... And Ravens are likely to make a deep playoff run so won't be able to talk to him until late Jan/early Feb.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

??? Dude did what before lamar ???

Wasn't he fired from the freaking Bills ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Yes he was fired by Rex Ryan in September of 2016 after they lost to the Jets 37-31. I’m sure the 37 points Rex’s defense gave up we’re probably his fault. He got good production out of Tyrod Taylor while he was there. He came to the 49ers from Stanford with Harbaugh and was the OC when they went to the Super Bowl. He’s a good coach with good results. Don’t let him being fired by Fat Bastard skew your thinking.

• Upvote 1