Jets trying to trade Quinnen Williams as trade deadline looms(Disclaimer* it’s a Manish report)

Manish Mehta is so full of crap, his nickname around the NFL is 'septic tank', according to league sources.

Jets aren't trading a young, ascending disruptive player on D, who is under team control for cheap for another 3 years after this season, unless they get offered something ridiculous like 2 1st rounders+

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

If the Jets get a good offer, pull the trigger.

Williams is playing better this season, but by no means is he playing at an untradeable level.  He's an interior lineman whose primary role is to fill gaps and push the pocket.  This role can be adequately filled by late round picks and undrafted free agents (i.e. Fatukasi, Franklin-Myers, Harrison, Devito, etc.).  If you can get a first round pick and use it to draft a more impactful position, go for it.

The role you speak of better describes a 3-4 NT.

QW is a 4-3 DT that is playing well in a position that does not best suit his talents.

A 4-3 scheme and this kid will wreak havoc on opposing offenses.

• Upvote 4

Said it once, said it twice, and will say it many more times. 

The media is a huge part of why the Jets are dysfunctional. It's quite literally the ONLY sports market in the US where this happens. 

Step 1- The local media outright causes problems for the team. 

Step 2- The team has to deal with the problems by addressing or fixing them.

Step 3- The local media in turn THEN takes issues with the way the team addressed or fixed them. 

Step 4- National media then shines a light on stories the local media pushes.

Step 5- Wash and repeat, clown show continues. 

This doesnt absolve the Jets of their own ineptitude, but other teams are not dealing with fighting battles on multiple fronts like the Jets are. 

• Upvote 4

trading qwill doesn't make sense because he's playing well and they still have him for 3 more seasons if they want him.  this means he should be right in the middle of the team getting better as douglas continues to improve player positions.  but there isn't anyone who isn't vulnerable.  a good trade deal and qwill is gone.

36 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Weren't there reports last year we were getting huge offers for this kid?  Now that he is playing well there should be more.  I am not looking to move him, but for a 1+ I would certainly consider it.  Anybody that we draft in 2021 would have 2 more years under control. and that is certainly worth something.

But, won't they also be like 2 years older? Q is only 20, correct/

• Upvote 1

This sounds like a few teams calling about Q and JD picking up the phone just like he did with Jamal.  I'm sure he isn't being shopped but no harm in listening if a team is really willing to blow them away.  Of course Manish has to stir the pot for a few click views which I'm sure he got out of it

• Upvote 1

I would said trade him because we had cheap guys like Foley, Shepherd and McClendon playing just as well, or better.

But they are not.

For 2021-22 QW costs about $5mm year, without eating the signing bonus cap that Mac paid.  He is a building block for the future (or at least playoffs in 2022, which should be the goal) and should not cause the Jets to win games in 2020 (which we don't want).

He should not have been picked 3rd, but he was a first round pick.  Typically good teams pick guys like that in the late first round, or bad teams in the early second, to stop the run mostly.  He does that.  Unless someone offers a mid-first, I would keep him.  

Edited by varjet

33 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Said it once, said it twice, and will say it many more times. 

The media is a huge part of why the Jets are dysfunctional. It's quite literally the ONLY sports market in the US where this happens. 

Step 1- The local media outright causes problems for the team. 

Step 2- The team has to deal with the problems by addressing or fixing them.

Step 3- The local media in turn THEN takes issues with the way the team addressed or fixed them. 

Step 4- National media then shines a light on stories the local media pushes.

Step 5- Wash and repeat, clown show continues. 

This doesnt absolve the Jets of their own ineptitude, but other teams are not dealing with fighting battles on multiple fronts like the Jets are. 

Agreed. In for example, Miami, the sports journalists are eternal optimists, publishing puff pieces and finding ways to express support and promote it among the fan base for the Dolphins.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Like him or not Joe Douglas is a cold Mothereffer....and that is exactly what you should want in a GM. I don't care about player's feelings or charisma or anything like that, if I can get a good price for you, you're gone. 

This man looked Sam's parents in the eyes and said he was going to get an offensive line to protect him and weapons to help him perform better and then decided to tear the whole team apart to get the most coveted QB prospect in the last 5-10 years. That is badass. 

0-7 is badass ? Joe Douglas better have some mother f-cking plan after putting us through a season like this .

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'm old enough to remember when the Jets weren't shopping Jamal Adams.

True, but the Adams situation was different. Adams had become a pain in the ass who wanted out and wanted a big payday. The Jets control Williams for the foreseeable future on his rookie deal. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dinamite said:

If it is true, then it doesn't make much sense as the article states the jets don't even need a first round pick.  The guys is young, imprpoving and you just took him last year.  He is not worth the #3 pick overall, but he is an improving young player so why not make him part of the rebuild? And I am not even a big Quinnen fan, but I don't trade him unless you get blown over by an offer (a #2 and #5 is not good enough).

A #2 plus a #5. Ok a 7th rounder it is. Deal!

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Unless some team blows your socks off, I dont see why you would trade Q. Will.  He's a good player, you need some good players to build upon.  You're already bad enough, why do you have to get worse to maybe get better?

In another thread you mentioned you'd be cool with throwing street FA's out there on defense and going all-in on offense.  In light of that, it makes at least some sense to move a DT who is only "pretty good" at rushing the passer. 

If you can get a 1 back (and maybe a little more, since it would be a late 1st from a contender) you really have to do it, no?

Honestly I wouldn't take less than a 1, because we'd be getting a pretty sizable dead cap hit over the next couple seasons.  To offset that, the trade compensation needs to be good.  I'm not settling for a 2 and 5.  A 1 and a 3 or 4 would be my starting point in negotiations, then go from there.

• Upvote 1