Why the # 1 pick is SO important

Maxman

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

Another big reason the number 1 pick is so important is coaching. We’ll get a top coach if we are set up to get Lawrence.

Are we going to be able to attract a top coach with Darnold or Fields? Not sure.

No high profile coach is coming to save Darnold, which is an underappreciated fact around here. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, heymangold said:

I don’t want fields over Lawrence but you can’t judge him on this game.  Was without his best WR and apparently had a right thumb injury.  To be completely honest his stats  aren’t too far off from Lawrence over their careers.

He needs receivers to throw to? Hard pass!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Just like Buffalo did with Josh Allen. They turned that offense to elite when they traded for Stephon Diggs. 

Not hiring the worst HC in team history helps too. Gase can’t get anything out of his players. There are too many players to cite but it’s evident the guy is a career killer. 

3 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Absolutely.  I’m not taking anything away from Mahomes but let’s be honest he has a great great situation to work with.  

Tyreek Hill forces teams to leave holes all over the place & then you have Kelce the best TE in the damn league with Kittle hurt and then you have Robinson, Hardman  & Sammy Watkins is their 4th freaking WR!
Its ridiculous! 
Jets need to sign Allen Robinson or Juju, draft another stud Wr + Etienne or Harris & find a TE 

Go crazy OFFENSIVE weapons! 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Yucatan Jetfan said:

I'm hoping to have a coach in place before the draft

Sent from my SM-J701M using Tapatalk

Yeah assuming Gase is fired Monday after the Pats game - I wonder when we’ll actually hire a new HC.

I think they did away with the rule that you could not interview playoff assistant coaches during the postseason. So it may speed things up if we’re interviewing Bienemy etc, 

2 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Conference Championship Games (when it matters).

Justin Fields: 12/27 (44.4%), 114 passing yards (4.4 yards per pass attempt), 0 TDs/2 INTs along with 12 rushes for 35 rushing yards (2.9 yards per rush attempt). and 0 rushing TDs (QB Rating of 34.2).

Played atrocious against an overmatched #14 Northwestern team. 

Trevor Lawrence: 25/36 (69.4%), 322 passing yards (8.3 yards per pass attempt), 2 TD's/1 INT along with 14 rushes for 90 rushing yards (6.4 yards per rush attempt and 1 rushing TD (QB Rating of 157.3). 

Absolutely demolished an undefeated (but not anymore) #2 ranked Notre Dame team.

Woah..waitaminute.. what's this???

You're saying you'd prefer Trevor Lawrence over Justin Fields? Hm.

I have not heard this before. Could you please elaborate? 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, heymangold said:

I don’t want fields over Lawrence but you can’t judge him on this game.  Was without his best WR and apparently had a right thumb injury.  To be completely honest his stats  aren’t too far off from Lawrence over their careers.

His last 3 games against GOOD DEFENSES (dating back to last year) he's looked down right awful (as a passer) against Clemson/Indiana/Northwestern. 

Any time he doesn't play against absolute awful defenses such as Rutgers, Penn State, Michigan State etc he looks atrocious as a QB...

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We already have a sh*t load of picks.  Your plan is to have a sh*t load of picks but no QB.  Sounds fun.

Nah.

Fields isn't a FQB.  Better off trading down, loading up offense and roll with Sam and if he doesn't get better find a QB next year.

It's Trevor or bust.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Jets723 said:

I get it.  Look I’m not saying I don’t want Lawrence.  I’m just not the type of guy that openly roots for losses.  I played basketball in high school and college and was very competitive.  Same way as a fan.  But even if we get Lawrence we need to build around him.  He  can’t do it himself.  The same applied for Mahomes.  As great of a player as he is I think we have to admit that his team is absolutely loaded and he has a world class head coach.  That makes a huge difference on how a QB can ultimately have big success.  We made a huge mistake with Sam by not giving him more help and obviously better coaching 

Plus Mahomes sat his first year..

57 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We already have a sh*t load of picks.  Your plan is to have a sh*t load of picks but no QB.  Sounds fun.

My plan is Trevor Lawrence but I will not select Fields with the #2 pick. But what’s wrong with accumulating as much picks as possible? Have you seen the depth on this team? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

My plan is Trevor Lawrence but I will not select Fields with the #2 pick. But what’s wrong with accumulating as much picks as possible? Have you seen the depth on this team? 

Have you watched Darnold play?

We have 8 picks in the first 5 rounds.  9, hopefully, once Darnold gets traded.  That's plenty.

I’m confident on this team losing the next two to get to 0-15.  I’m nervous that Belichick does some shady stuff week 17.  I almost wish we would fire the entire coaching staff after week 16 and let Joe Douglas coach week 17 (I know this won’t really happen) to get us the top pick.

A number one pick, a couple promising draft picks from the 2020 draft, and loads of cap room in 2021 which will be a year when cap numbers will drop will help the Jets find a good head coach.   My concern is the Johnson family is so dysfunctional they will screw this all up.   

10 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

His last 3 games against GOOD DEFENSES (dating back to last year) he's looked down right awful (as a passer) against Clemson/Indiana/Northwestern. 

Any time he doesn't play against absolute awful defenses such as Rutgers, Penn State, Michigan State etc he looks atrocious as a QB...

and that's why he's #2.  like i said, i'd rather lawrence over fields but to say he isn't a good qb based off todays game isn't accurate.  so he's had 3 poor games in his career.  his team still won 2 out of the 3.  the indiana game still had 300 yds and 2 TDs plus 78 on the ground and another TD. like i said yesterday against northwestern, he was down his best WR and had an apparent thumb injury on his throwing hand.

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I'm scared sh*tless about that last game! I jus think the whole world is saying the Jets are tanking, when in fact the Jags only have to tank 1 home game vs the Bears. They have zero chance of beating the Ravens & Colts. 

for numerous reasons i don't think the jets even have a chance at winning another game.  they are legitimately the worst team in the NFL, with the worst quarterback in the league.  i have zero doubt that the patriots will "tank" and let the jets win week 17.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I'm scared sh*tless about that last game! I jus think the whole world is saying the Jets are tanking, when in fact the Jags only have to tank 1 home game vs the Bears. They have zero chance of beating the Ravens & Colts. 

I’m envisioning a nightmare scenario where the Patriots are winning the game late only to see Darnold drive the Jets downfield and kick a game winning FG as time expires. I would become physically ill if that were to happen. We really need Jax to win against the Bears otherwise that last game is going to be absolute torture.

18 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Just like Buffalo did with Josh Allen. They turned that offense to elite when they traded for Stephon Diggs. 

ya in NFL offense side of ball  its all about OffLine, coach9ing and surrounding talent. The QB just has to be competent. Its great if QB is a stud, but look at Allen, he is OK, but mentally has issues but his OL allows him time now not to make the bad call. The thing that turned Bills into good team was the new GM in his 1st year spent all his free agent cash on FIVE Off Linemen and he made a trade to get a high draft pick used on another OffLinemen. Bills in 1 offseason had 5 new OffLineman most of who were veterans.

This is why even w/Lawrence you will see Douglas get probably 3 OffLineman in FA and draft 2-3 OL within 1st 4 rounds