Sal Pal says Bechton has Sub-Par year, says Trevor overhypeded

kevinc855

21 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Haha haha 

would the jets trade becton for wirfs? No way in hell 

would the bucs trade wirfs for becton? In a flash

wirfs plays RT

wirfs play with the goat QB known for maneuvering the pocket and getting rid of the ball

am I being punked? 

They would not trade Wirfs for Becton. Sal Pal had a terrible take but both are excellent and either would’ve been a good pick in that spot.

32 minutes ago, viffer said:

Might happen if JD can't trade back. If they draft Sewell Becton may move to RT.

Oh trust me.  I'm a Duck fan and have followed Sewell's career since HS.  Hes a slam dunk pick and maybe the best OL prospect in two friggin decades.  But the only way I see that happening is if Douglas doesn't think Wilson/Fields/Lance aren't worth dropping for.  Even I can see that is highly unlikely.

Douglas wants as much draft capital as he can get.  And he'd have to see a potential HOF in Sewell to drop that far. But honestly, the kid really is that good.  Ducks fans talk about him more than Gary Zimmerman.  And Zimmerman was a #$!#ing bad ass.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Wirfs was the safer pick, and the one I would've made. Becton still has the higher ceiling, and I'm glad that's who JD went with. We'll see how it shakes out. 

Meanwhile some of us wannabe geniuses (like me) had Thomas at the top of our lists.  Sheeesh... thank God for Joe Douglas with a shout out to Gettleman for getting Thomas out of the mix before us.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Cimini Flight Deck podcast at 8 minute mark Sal Pal has some real hot takes...

Sal Paolantonio · Flight Deck with Rich Cimini (spotify.com)

Says Bechton hasn't lived up to expectations. Says JD messed up, shoulda took Wirfs.

Calls Trevor NOT a generational Talent, could just be just a Baker type guy. Needs a team around him. 

Unsure about Sam, has to fix the INT and risky throws.

Thinks Jets should hire Bienemy from KC.

36Ra.gif

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, slats said:

There were a couple folks here poking holes in Lawrence before the Jets won a game. He'll be thoroughly dissected by April. 

I think he experiences a Marino-like fall and Miami ends up grabbing him late in the 1st round with their own pick (currently #23) rather than with the Texans' pick.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Haha haha 

would the jets trade becton for wirfs? No way in hell 

would the bucs trade wirfs for becton? In a flash

wirfs plays RT

wirfs play with the goat QB known for maneuvering the pocket and getting rid of the ball

am I being punked? 

So true!!!  Context is key, Wirfs went into a ready made OLine and played RT.

Becton was the LT on a rebuilt OLine and he was the focal point

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Not sure how anyone can read this and not think anything else but "wow Sal Pal has really checked out and is riding off his past." 

I mean he literally said Becton has been sub par in a vacuum - not even just in comparison to Wirfs. He has been unanimously praised by everyone evaluating that I have seen. 

He compared Trevor Lawrence to Baker Mayfield... I mean at some point you just need to ignore a guy 

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I honestly think if you did a re-draft of the 2020 draft Becton is the first OT off the board. Wifs (and Wills for that matter) have been great but I wouldn't trade Becton for either of them.

At least we didn't draft Andrew Thomas.

Think that’s a minority view.

With a do over you take wirfs no brainer 

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Think that’s a minority view.

With a do over you take wirfs no brainer 

I'd be genuinely curious what people in the NFL think. I think given Becton's enormous upside and the pre-draft perception that he was more of a project what he's done stepping in at LT on a really bad team has been really impressive. He's already a mauler on the running game and held his own against some of the best pass rushers in the NFL. I think it's entirely possibly two years from now he could be the best LT in the NFL My only concern with him is the injury stuff.

Wirfs was much more polished (I mean, Iowa is a OL factory) and has played RT on an offense with Tom Freakin' Brady at QB. Doesn't mean he hasn't been great I just don't know if most NFL GMs would take him over Becton going forward.

But frankly, Wills, Becton and Wirfs have all been great and unlike QB it's not like having one stud LT is really any different than another. It looks like we got what we signed up for -- a cornerstone pro bowl caliber LT for the next 10 years.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'd be genuinely curious what people in the NFL think. I think given Becton's enormous upside and the pre-draft perception that he was more of a project what he's done stepping in at LT on a really bad team has been really impressive. He's already a mauler on the running game and held his own against some of the best pass rushers in the NFL. I think it's entirely possibly two years from now he could be the best LT in the NFL My only concern with him is the injury stuff.

Wirfs was much more polished (I mean, Iowa is a OL factory) and has played RT on an offense with Tom Freakin' Brady at QB. Doesn't mean he hasn't been great I just don't know if most NFL GMs would take him over Becton going forward.

But frankly, Wills, Becton and Wirfs have all been great and unlike QB it's not like having one stud LT is really any different than another. It looks like we got what we signed up for -- a cornerstone pro bowl caliber LT for the next 10 years.

Becton has some real low scores on the pass rush and has given up 11 sacks....hes just to fat. Needs to improve his footwork and get in a little better shape and most importantly stay healthy. 

He has the potential to really show something year 2

3 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Becton has some real low scores on the pass rush and has given up 11 sacks....hes just to fat. Needs to improve his footwork and get in a little better shape and most importantly stay healthy. 

He has the potential to really show something year 2

The man isn't fat, he's just huge. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Wirfs has been the best tackle out of the group. But Becton has not been "sub-par". He's had a very good rookie year and was always more of a project at the position because of the system at Louisville. Wirfs is also on a much better team with much better lineman around him. 

You can't be anything less than thrilled with Becton's performance as a rookie in my opinion. After Wirfs, he's been the best second best tackle out of that group as a rookie. 

Wirfs has played RT for a QB with one of the fastest "snap to throw" times the NFL has really seem. I'll take Becton 10 times our of 10.

• Upvote 4

Becton has been good enough to be very optimistic about, but early talk of pro bowl was very very premature.  He has had more than one game where he looks like a rookie.

Comments about Lawrence are accurate, very over hyped.

Beienemy would be an awful hire.

Darnold has to make more good plays, he has cut down on turnover the last 4 or 5 games.  Darnold is the biggest decision Douglas is going to have this off season.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Cimini Flight Deck podcast at 8 minute mark Sal Pal has some real hot takes...

Sal Paolantonio · Flight Deck with Rich Cimini (spotify.com)

Says Bechton hasn't lived up to expectations. Says JD messed up, shoulda took Wirfs.

Calls Trevor NOT a generational Talent, could just be just a Baker type guy. Needs a team around him. 

Unsure about Sam, has to fix the INT and risky throws.

Thinks Jets should hire Bienemy from KC.

Wirfs is a RT. Becton has shown the potential this year to be a top 10 LT. 

If the Draft occurred tomorrow based on their play this year Becton would have went 4th overall and the gap between the two would be even more significant. Jets absolutely nailed the pick. Becton has show the ability to shut down and dominate at times the best ends on the planet.