Matt Campbell mentioned with Jets Rumor

MTJ06

Aaron Wilson Updates on the Coaching Search 

Aaron Wilson added more nuggets on the Houston radio program ‘The A-Team with Wexler & Clanton.’

“I’m hearing for the Jets Matt Campbell. I’m hearing Arthur Smith for Atlanta. Daboll with the Chargers is a possibility.”

Wilson said San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh, a candidate for the Falcons, did not interview well with the Detroit Lions and is not a shoe-in. He has heard some interest by Detroit in Pat Fitzgerald.

https://ustadium.com/p/716383

• Upvote 1

However, according to Pro Football Network’s Tony Pauline, it is extremely unlikely that Campbell jumps to the NFL.

“Matt Campbell is a name that always crops up. It cropped up last time the Jets had a head coach opening. He’s talked about a lot. From what I am hearing, it’s less than five percent, and even maybe less than one percent, that Matt Campbell is the next head coach of the New York Jets.”

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/matt-campbell-making-jump-to-nfl-2021/

More info in the link.

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

However, according to Pro Football Network’s Tony Pauline, it is extremely unlikely that Campbell jumps to the NFL.

“Matt Campbell is a name that always crops up. It cropped up last time the Jets had a head coach opening. He’s talked about a lot. From what I am hearing, it’s less than five percent, and even maybe less than one percent, that Matt Campbell is the next head coach of the New York Jets.”

More info in the link.

misha get well we love you GIF

He talked his hand picked, hand recruited QB into staying for next year's free year of eligibility. Everyone is so high on Campbell because of his culture.  You think he's going to talk his QB into coming back then leave?  Is that 5 star culture?  

I have heard over and over from people in Ames he's not leaving for the NFL.  He likes the college game.  He will move on eventually to a bigger program, but he's a college guy.  Connected ISU people have said for weeks they were more worried about Harbaugh to NFL and Campbell to Michigan than Campbell to NFL.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He has a rep as a high character team builder and has overachieved and built two different programs.

This is my only objection with the Campbell talk.  He did not build Toledo. When he took over, the previous coach had gone 14-2 in conference the prior two years.

Not that it really matters, he's still the same coach, but that part gets exaggerated. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

If reporters are going to make statements like "he didn't interview well" then they should get some info as to why. This could all be horsesh*t

There is no way that any of these interviews & what was said have been repeated by the team & individuals during these interviews. 

To make a blanket statement like, "he didn't interview well" is horrible journalism but just another reminder of how everyone is being manipulated by social media in this day & age. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

erection GIF

4 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

More info in the link.

go limp GIF

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He talked his hand picked, hand recruited QB into staying for next year's free year of eligibility. Everyone is so high on Campbell because of his culture.  You think he's going to talk his QB into coming back then leave?  Is that 5 star culture?  

I have heard over and over from people in Ames he's not leaving for the NFL.  He likes the college game.  He will move on eventually to a bigger program, but he's a college guy.  Connected ISU people have said for weeks they were more worried about Harbaugh to NFL and Campbell to Michigan than Campbell to NFL.

100% if he leaves that program at this point in time, you have to question things.

7 hours ago, heymangold said:

From the other thread: 

027C90D1-C085-49D4-8BF1-5546619E64E0.png

The other nugget in there is that Saleh and Lions didn’t have a great man date and is no longer a shoe in.

For Detroit, I’d watch Fitz going there if they hire Patton as the GM.

But with Campbell & Saleh still a possibility we need to finish off the other interviews and start offering a job to one of those 2.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, pointman said:

Why does everyone love Matt Campbell? Honest question. Just read over some of his career, and nothing jumps out.. other than denying the Pats, Urban Meyer, and us for interviews in the past. 

I hardly know much of these guys. But I like Matt Campbell the most because I want an actual HC who is a proven culture changer. Our culture is the biggest problem we face and I think Campbell has proven he has the best chance to fix that.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I hardly know much of these guys. But I like Matt Campbell the most because I want an actual HC who is a proven culture changer. Our culture is the biggest problem we face and I think Campbell has proven he has the best chance to fix that.

I hear people say these things all the time , just what exactly is wrong with the Jets culture that a college HC is going to fix.  I'm not trying to be snarky, but we didn't hear of any dissent among players this season or last with the exception of Adams. To me the bigger issue is talent and coaching schemes , if that's what you mean by culture then I can buy it. If its the rah rah type accountability type stuff that just may not work the same way at the NFL level as it does in college. 

13 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I hear people say these things all the time , just what exactly is wrong with the Jets culture that a college HC is going to fix.  I'm not trying to be snarky, but we didn't hear of any dissent among players this season or last with the exception of Adams. To me the bigger issue is talent and coaching schemes , if that's what you mean by culture then I can buy it. If its the rah rah type accountability type stuff that just may not work the same way at the NFL level as it does in college. 

Maybe it’s talent that’s lacking and culture comes from winning. Idk.

I just see the Jets as a place where players come to get paid. Even Gore. Dude got his 16,000 yards and ran off the field immediately. He was like, “alright fellas I got mine, I’m out”. The locker room was better this year but we still have a selfish culture. How many players get paid for the Ravens or Steelers and then dog it? It happens to us all the time. Like you’re suggesting maybe it’s talent leads to winning which leads to a win at all cost culture. Idk. Everything about the Jets sucks right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Maybe it’s talent that’s lacking and culture comes from winning. Idk.

I just see the Jets as a place where players come to get paid. Even Gore. Dude got his 16,000 yards and ran off the field immediately. He was like, “alright fellas I got mine, I’m out”. The locker room was better this year but we still have a selfish culture. How many players get paid for the Ravens or Steelers and then dog it? It happens to us all the time. Like you’re suggesting maybe it’s talent leads to winning which leads to a win at all cost culture. Idk. Everything about the Jets sucks right now.

This is the biggest problem with Jets over the past decade.  Many a player from another organization wants to get paid and he uses the Jets or signs with the Jets (usually plays like a guy who just got paid).  We've had done such a poor job drafting/team construction that we never keep players for a second contract.  We haven't built a "culture" of high-level Jet players who can produce and turn around the fortunes of this franchise. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Does anyone think that Gase could have worked out if he had more talent and improved his coaching scheme?  Yes, he did better at Miami, but he was never going to be the coach that the Jets owner or fans were going to be happy with.

I think NFL players today need more leadership.  They are not forged in the crucible of HS and college ball anymore.  They are coddled and pampered.  

Even though the Panthers and Giants did not have great records, I think people look at those teams and see a product that is likeable.  The Jets product the last two years has been despicable.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, k-met57 said:

100% if he leaves that program at this point in time, you have to question things.

Why?

What more can he accomplish?  He just won a NY6 Bowl game.  I can't see long term success in a conference with OU, UT, and OkSt. 

He struck while Texas was down and OU had a lull.  There's no way to consistently beat those programs with Iowa St.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He has a rep as a high character team builder and has overachieved and built two different programs.

With this type of coach you are not getting Rex, just cares about defense, Bowles, just cares about defense, gase, just cares about offense.  He is a head football coach, not a coordinator acting as a coach.

There are other decent sounding guys out there the jets are after but campbell is my #1 chocie

Just curious.  I'm not much of a college guy.  How would you rank Campbell vs. Matt Rhule?