Don't want to jump the gun on this but for discussion purposes...

21 minutes ago, football guy said:

Zip. I think Pederson will come into play if they're forced to go into their next wave. I don't think he's a top 3-4 candidate at this point, and there's some fear he could be burnt out. 

I saw a blurb (honestly can't remember the source to cite, sorry) that said Pederson was going to take a year off and "reevaluate" things. I don't blame him, regardless of fault (what a remarkable new concept...), it ended badly in Philly. 

8 hours ago, C Mart said:

Granted he didn't do much his rookie yr however can Zuniga play the 7-tech? and/or Basham?

TBD, but those two are the placeholders right now until the Jets do something else in FA or the Draft.  Zuniga lined up more at 5 tech than 7 tech though at Florida.  He even lined up at 3 tech a few times too but only on rare occasions.  I think Bryce Huff might be a candidate too but he's more like a depth guy IMO, rotational pass rusher.  He had 2 sacks in 2020.

Bud Dupree from Pitt seems like the kind of free agent target the Jets might go after for the Edge (he got hurt at the end of the year though).  Anthony Barr from Minn was a previous target to play that role before.... well, you know, he decided not to come here. (He too ended up on IR most of this past season with a torn pectoral muscle).

Zuniga is a big X-factor but I didn't see anything this past year that would give me confidence yet.  He was absolutely taken at #79 to get to the QB, but was really underwhelming.  Had something like a 33 PFF grade.

I'd hit Edge/7-tech early in the Draft if possible.  It would do wonders for a front 7 that has QW, Foley, JFM, and an unknown but possibly excellent CJ Mosley returning.  With an unknown CB setup right now (have to assume Bryce Hall would be a starter but the opposite side is a question mark) the quickest way to accelerate this defense is with a great edge rusher.  It will mask the secondary until we build it up a little more.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, football guy said:

He works on a staff loaded with coaching talent, headlined by Andy Reid, with the fastest personnel in the league. 

Teams wanted to hire him badly because of the PR. He had a leg up over every candidate in interviews, but he has not displayed a vision. Sure Andy endorses him just like he'd endorse any of his guys. Give him truth serum and the guy he'd really hate to lose is the guy who actually coaches the QB (Kafka). 

Truth is there's a reason why he's not getting jobs, and it's not because the color of his skin; it's because after speaking with him, teams don't trust that he is the mastermind behind the Kansas City offense, nor do they think he has the characteristics to be a head coach or an offensive coordinator. Quite frankly, he's black Dowell Loggains. 

If you can't believe this it's because you bought into the media and woke twitter narrative that he was the next greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe he is, but if he is, he's doing a poor job of articulating it. These things happen; Teryl Austin was the "it" candidate for 3-4 years until he wasn't. I think Bieniemy has a shot in Houston for the sole reason that they may not have enough candidates who want in; won't surprise me if they hired him only to fire him in a year, understanding that they need a year to rehab the relationship between the locker room and front office, while also pressing the reset button until they get their draft picks back.

If the guy can’t strike when the iron is that hot, ie coaching the most dynamic quarterback and offense in recent history, probably beyond safe to say he’s not “the guy” 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I saw a blurb (honestly can't remember the source to cite, sorry) that said Pederson was going to take a year off and "reevaluate" things. I don't blame him, regardless of fault (what a remarkable new concept...), it ended badly in Philly. 

Pederson does seem burnt out, and the Jets should be weary of hiring a guy that just left a bad situation as HC (since we just had one who did something similar in leaving Miami and stepping up to the Jets podium just a few weeks later).

My understanding on Pederson is that, if anything, he might step back into Andy Reid's staff as OC in KC if somehow Bienemy lands a HC job and departs.  That might be a smart move for Pederson to get out of the spotlight and let some time pass after a rough breakup with Philly that still has some lingering overtones of a tank job vs. Washington in Week 17.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, football guy said:

He works on a staff loaded with coaching talent, headlined by Andy Reid, with the fastest personnel in the league. 

Teams wanted to hire him badly because of the PR. He had a leg up over every candidate in interviews, but he has not displayed a vision. Sure Andy endorses him just like he'd endorse any of his guys. Give him truth serum and the guy he'd really hate to lose is the guy who actually coaches the QB (Kafka). 

Truth is there's a reason why he's not getting jobs, and it's not because the color of his skin; it's because after speaking with him, teams don't trust that he is the mastermind behind the Kansas City offense, nor do they think he has the characteristics to be a head coach or an offensive coordinator. Quite frankly, he's black Dowell Loggains. 

If you can't believe this it's because you bought into the media and woke twitter narrative that he was the next greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe he is, but if he is, he's doing a poor job of articulating it. These things happen; Teryl Austin was the "it" candidate for 3-4 years until he wasn't. I think Bieniemy has a shot in Houston for the sole reason that they may not have enough candidates who want in; won't surprise me if they hired him only to fire him in a year, understanding that they need a year to rehab the relationship between the locker room and front office, while also pressing the reset button until they get their draft picks back.

Another thing to think about is if Bienemy were to leave, it would allow Reid to promote Kafka to the coordinator position.  This would limit teams from possibly poaching him, unless it was for a head coaching position.  With Kafka currently as the QB coach, teams are able to interview and offer him an OC position, and Reid could not block it.

6 hours ago, football guy said:

Bingo!!!  I've been pointing at this fact for 2 years, he's got to be a bad interview

6 hours ago, football guy said:

I’m not buying into anything media driven the mans title is OC so I credit him as OC. I also give him as much praise as Patrick Mahomes because they work together so that holds the most weight to me.

Respectfully, you me or anyone on this website are not there in those interviews. We know nothing that’s said but to call anyone a “Used car salesman” , or say he “can’t articulate” is ridiculous to me. If this is the case is Andy Reid so incompetent he can’t notice this?  I highly doubt it with a seasoned vet in Andy.

I also never said anything about him not landing a job being because he’s black but you made it a point to say that. I see no evidence to prove any of your claims but the things I stated come from the players and coaches who know and work with him. That holds more weight 

52 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

If this is the case is Andy Reid so incompetent he can’t notice this?  I highly doubt it with a seasoned vet in Andy.

Maybe he does know, if it's true. Maybe the league has a policy that encourages hires based on things other than ability, or they're friends and AR wants to help EB out by helping him build up his resume. I'm pretty sure Gase knew DL wasn't doing much, but Gase had his reasons for having a guy who does little to nothing on staff in the OC position. What those reason were I have no idea.

57 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I’m not buying into anything media driven the mans title is OC so I credit him as OC. I also give him as much praise as Patrick Mahomes because they work together so that holds the most weight to me.

Respectfully, you me or anyone on this website are not there in those interviews. We know nothing that’s said but to call anyone a “Used car salesman” , or say he “can’t articulate” is ridiculous to me. If this is the case is Andy Reid so incompetent he can’t notice this?  I highly doubt it with a seasoned vet in Andy.

I also never said anything about him not landing a job being because he’s black but you made it a point to say that. I see no evidence to prove any of your claims but the things I stated come from the players and coaches who know and work with him. That holds more weight 

Maybes the truth lies somewhere in between. Maybes he is a very good coach, who is very good with players and that. 

But he's very bad at interviews, so cannot put that forward, and struggles to articulate his ideals in a way which does well in an interview. 

In terms of the race thing, I suppose it was mentioned because a lot of the (understandable) narrative around him not being hired is because of potential discrimination, as from the outside he looks like an ideal hire. I'd venture a guess that isn't the case with him at all, it's that he is just bad at interviewing (or bad at the other stuff - i don't know, it's all just speculation). 

It’s Andy Reid’s Offense, not hard to figure out. Just like Gase and Loggains, except much more successful. Loggains was the OC for the sake of being OC. Gase ran the show and called the plays.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

If Dowell Loggains was OC for the chiefs but his primary job was to organize meetings and help with the game plan (like he did here except he was also QB coach) would you feel he should be a top HC candidate? 

Also, since when did being a coordinator mean you’re capable of being a head coach?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

If Dowell Loggains was OC for the chiefs but his primary job was to organize meetings and help with the game plan (like he did here except he was also QB coach) would you feel he should be a top HC candidate? 

Also, since when did being a coordinator mean you’re capable of being a head coach?

We really appreciate your posting here, but some people just aren’t worth it.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

No that’s not it either. And it’s not that Bieniemy is incompetent. He’s good in the Dowell Loggains role which is pretty much assistant head coach. He does tasks Reid asks him to, he’s friendly with his colleagues, he helps game plan. He’s listed as OC but he operates like an assistant HC/RBs. You can be good at a role yet not project well to a different role. That’s Bieniemy. He’s good in his role and based on interviews it seems that he lacks the vision, detail, evaluation skill, and big-picture perspective to be a HC. 

Good employees don’t always make good managers. Good managers don’t always make good directors. Good directors don’t always make good CEOs.

There were plenty of great coaches that made horrible head coaches. It’s not an insult to Bieniemy; teams just have too much on the line to hire someone who doesn’t seem prepared for the big job. If Bieniemy was proven to be a gifted playcaller I think the other things would’ve been overlooked by now. That’s why I think his time is up in KC regardless what happens with this cycle. If he really wants to be a HC, he has to leave the nest and be an OC elsewhere. If he swims he’s in. If he sinks he has other positional jobs waiting for him.

Enjoy your takes and reads on this site. Thanks for those.

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, football guy said:

Again, Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes have been sending high praises Bills way, Deshan Watson is on the verge of breaking HOU for not interviewing him.

Those are 3 of the top football minds in the world right now and I trust their judgements way before I’d trust a random poster who’s going out his way to prove Bill to be a babbling idiot. (Go re-read your post) 

It’s highly disrespectful to any human being and I don’t feel it’s right to just label people like that so everyone on here can treat it as the gospel. 

It’s actual proof to back my claims yours are baseless conjecture. 

it doesn’t matter though, you and the others will contort to fit your narrative no matter how much proof someone shows. It’s not enough that 2 of the top QBs in the world sing his praises. But whatever ?‍♂️

13 minutes ago, football guy said:

FWIW expectation is the Jets will have a new HC by Monday the latest. If it goes later than that then something went seriously wrong

Now that Meyer is hired by Jax the dominoes will start to fall.

I wonder if we get to Staley this weekend or if it’s really between Saleh and Smith?

Again, Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes have been sending high praises Bills way, Deshan Watson is on the verge of breaking HOU for not interviewing him.
Those are 3 of the top football minds in the world right now and I trust their judgements way before I’d trust a random poster who’s going out his way to prove Bill to be a babbling idiot. (Go re-read your post) 

It’s highly disrespectful to any human being and I don’t feel it’s right to just label people like that so everyone on here can treat it as the gospel. 

it doesn’t matter though, you and the others will contort to fit your narrative no matter how much proof someone shows. It’s not enough that 2 of the top QBs in the world sing his praises. But whatever ?‍♂️

Just like Peyton Manning sang praises for Gase. Where did that get the Jets? NOWHERE!

Are you even a Jets Fan?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

29 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Reid and Mahomes and Watson don't hire head coaches. What they say matters but what people do matters more. This dude isn't really saying anything about Bieniemy that can't reasonably be inferred at this point. Saleh kind of fits that profile too so it makes enough sense that the Jets figured he'd be an easy get.

11 hours ago, football guy said:

This makes more sense than the “he’s only getting interviews because of the Rooney Rule”. The Jets interviewed Glenn, Lewis and Saleh. They didn’t have to interview Bieniemy. Also the Jets interviewed him last year. So, if the character concerns were an issue, they didn’t have to bring him in.

The narrative that he doesn’t seem ready for the job, makes sense. This is pretty sad though. He’s known he would get interviews. The fact that he hasn’t thought through and cemented his vision for a team, speaks to the idea that he’s nothing more than a coordinator.

4 hours ago, football guy said:

FWIW expectation is the Jets will have a new HC by Monday the latest. If it goes later than that then something went seriously wrong

So they want to interview the candidates from the weekend games? ie Daboll, Staley, Wink?