Pederson Fired in Philly

3 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Even if you love one of the other candidates - you HAVE to take a swing at Pederson.

When else are we going to find a super bowl winning coach, still in his prime, with a chip on his shoulder?

If he fails there will always be a hot coordinator to hire. It's not like we have a window that we are trying to close on.

DO IT  

I'm not sure if I want him or not, but you definitely have to talk to him. 

16 minutes ago, PS17 said:

To be fair, you're describing the Mike McCarthy situation from two years ago to a tee. And he looks terrible in Dallas.

Mike McCarthy coached the packers for 12 years and had that one early Super Bowl. Also find me a story of pederson leaving his team to get a massage during practice and you might have something. To put things in perspective pederson had wentz playing at a high level for two years after the Super Bowl and his teams went 9-7 both years. He also coached up hurts who isn’t really some blue chip QB. It’s a strain of a comparison if you ask me. 

37 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Eagles had the best OL in the NFL in the super bowl run

if we hire Pederson he’s taking Sewell at 2

Let's assume you're right, although I'm not yet convinced.

What do you think Dougie Fresh and Joe Dougie want to do at QB?

Go after Nick Foles, Draft a QB later, roll with Darnold, some combination of all?

My personal opinion is that Pederson would likely want to mold a QB from scratch.  I think he tries to bring in Nick Foles AND he wants to draft a QB like Wilson or Fields at #2.  There are 2-3 other OT's that are 1st round worthy in ADDITION TO Sewell and we already have Becton.  I think the Jets Draft an OT at #23 (Sam Cosmi) or later (Alex Leatherwood).

Pederson had Hurts playing pretty well.  If the Doug & Douglas show thinks ANY of Fields, Wilson or Lance are better than Hurts then they'll pull the trigger and start fresh.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The Troll said:

People are comparing him to Gase not because they’ve had equal success, but because they both have reps as guys their own players dislike.

I also read through this thread and have not once seen the name Frank Reich, which is surprising as a lot of people theorize that he was truly the mastermind behind the 2017 Eagles and the results since then would support that theory. Reich is 28-20 in Indianapolis while Pederson has a losing record without Reich.

This is exactly why I’ve had reservations. The Eagles, and especially Wentz, have regressed badly in the three years since Reich left. And Reich has the Colts looking really good. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I honestly don't understand what people want in a coach.

He's won a super bowl.  Therefore, he's proven he can win a super bowl.

Who is this mythical coach who is available, has a track record of winning at the highest level, is not "this years coordinator de jour," and is a "CEO-type" which is definitely not just words but actually means something?

I'm pretty sure the coach JN wants doesn't actually exist.  In reality, you're either getting a Lewis/Pederson type retread, a stand-out college coach (none of whom we've heard have actually interviewed here, or elsewhere), or you're gambling on a coordinator taking the next step.

I've also seen people argue that you don't hire a SB winning HC because no head coach has ever won a SB for 2 teams.  lol.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

People are wary of Pederson because he was just fired, so it reminds people of Kotite/Gase. 

But this is all correct. 

At the end of the day, you can do a lot worse than a guy with Pederson's resume. 

Of course we could do worse.

But, my point is more that the dude everyone wants isn't a real person.  He doesn't exist.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Pac said:

Immediately becomes a favorite.  Of course you bring him in and hear him out. 

Are people seriously saying dont interview a guy who won a SB with Nick Foles?

Damn it you sumbitch don’t you remember the deal we made with @Maxman? You’re supposed to disagree at all times with @Jetsfan80 and me. Then we argue to increase the post counts. Quick insult my south asian heritage before anyone notices!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

This is the next Jets head coach and I'm pretty certain of it

Where there’s smoke there’s fire (the trade for him news). Maybe we won’t have to pay as much either because Philly still has to pay him. 
The Johnsons would most certainly approve ?.

• Haha 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I've also seen people argue that you don't hire a SB winning HC because no head coach has ever won a SB for 2 teams.  lol.

Perfect.

So, all we need to do is find a guy who's been to the Championship game as a HC, only once, otherwise it would look like a trend, and lost, not because of coaching, but because of something that's out of his control, who, by the way, also is not currently employed.

• Upvote 3

Just now, slimjasi said:

Yeah, another one of these dumb generalizations that don't make any sense. 

The same people who make these types of "conclusion first, analysis second" statements are the type that believe Sam Darnold is a secret-FQB-in-hiding. Pity them.

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Where there’s smoke there’s fire (the trade for him news). Maybe we won’t have to pay as much either because Philly still has to pay him. 
The Johnsons would most certainly approve ?.

I.

Do.

Not.

Care.

Now you don't get cute. Give the man an offer that signifies confidence and respect. Don't eff this up Johnsons!

3 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Of course we could do worse.

But, my point is more that the dude everyone wants isn't a real person.  He doesn't exist.

This is why I want the Jets to interview everyone. There is not a perfect candidate on paper. The Jets have to do some competent digging for a change. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Also, who the hell do these people think hired Frank Reich?

Oh yeah, Doug Pederson.

So on top of Pederson being highly qualified, the first OC he brought in to Philly would’ve beaten the piss out of every OC the Jets have had in 25 years.

The dude played in the league for 15 years and cut his teeth as a coach under Andy Reid for another 7. He has the connections to put together a quality staff.

I’m not going to sit here and sh*t on Pederson because he became highly annoyed by some bean counter dickhole like Roseman trying to dictate his coaching staff.

Exactly he’s been content to deal with the dude making idiotic decisions like reagor over Jefferson which I pretty sure @Paradis would have punched him in the face over. But the the guy who literally makes those kinds of calls thinks he knows what staffing calls to make. Notably he forced a change last year too and we see how that went for this year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, PS17 said:

This is exactly why I’ve had reservations. The Eagles, and especially Wentz, have regressed badly in the three years since Reich left. And Reich has the Colts looking really good. 

This is supposedly how plays were called:

Pederson said he will give the play call to Reich, who in turn will relay it to the quarterback. On the surface, it seems like a cumbersome way to get the plays into the huddle.

However, the process is effective if everyone is thinking as one unit. That comes with spending more time together. It worked for Pederson and Andy Reid with the Kansas City Chiefs over the last three years.

“The time spent by Andy and I together during the week, we began to think alike,” Pederson said. “You study so much tape that you understand situational football. Everything is categorized when it comes to the game plan.

“Everything is categorized when it comes to the game plan. By the time it gets to Sunday, you pretty much have the game plan memorized, so it becomes fast, it becomes efficient.”

Once the play is given to Reich, he will not have the ability to change the call. Allowing Reich to change the plays would only slow down the process.

• Upvote 1

How is the Gase comparison not apt? You have players in the media openly calling him out, poisoned his relationship with his star QB to the point that was publicized as being 'irreparable'.

Squeaked into the playoffs with loaded rosters two years in a row after the miracle Super Bowl whilst playing in the weakest division in the entirety of the NFL. His QB has gone from a star under Reich to a complete bust under his tutelage, and haven't we learned that coaches who get fired and re-hired a week later don't learn anything?