Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

From a purely business perspective the guy would be CRAZY to accept an offer while he was here. CRAZY.

He is the hot coaching candidate. Other teams want him. You say let me think about it, keep your options open. He will seriously make millions more by doing it this way.  

I hope the Jets end up landing him, not feeling good about it. But it makes me like him more. Good for him, have to be confident, this is his shot to change his financial future forever.

this was said much better than more attempt, but i disagree one on point, Just cause Jets were first don't mean our offer wont be best, I think we probabbly made a strong case, but like you said he needs to get his option and make right choice for him and his family. 

15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Pretty amazing how fast this went from Saleh is a good candidate --> Saleh is the best candidate --> we need to hire Saleh today --> hiring Saleh is literally the only outcome I will be ok with

How long have you been here ? lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

So, what can you tell us about Universal? Is it true what they say about Lady Gaga.

<note to site, I actually had to google what artists were contracted by Universal-Don't judge me>

Well.  That was 15 years ago.  It was mostly about their business practices.  Radio giveaways (a way around payola) and rack jobbing.  Most of what you see on the ground floor like that is just mailing, promotional data or sales information.  And with so much of the industry either dead or gone to digital... nobody cares.  We were really interested in pushing Mariah Carey if you want to know.  I must have taken calls to dozens of record stores about her album sales.

1 minute ago, LockeJET said:

Word is he was our #1 choice. Fact that he left the building without a deal means its pretty much done. 

The way the Jets organization and the Jets fans treated Adam Gase, what do you expect?

He didn't get a chance from the beginning, the opening press conference, the twitchy fans and the bloodthirsty media out to get him, planes flying and billboards screaming for his head just 4 weeks into his coaching tenure, finished 6-2 and got no love, saw his front office get rid of the entire cover of the 2019 yearbook, have his expansion roster give 200% every game, and then had his GM throw him under the bus after winning 2 of his last 3.

Florham Park is NFL Siberia.  And that was before what the organization, media, and fans did to Gase.  Now?  Forget it.

SAR I

17 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Apologies.   My point is that success as a DC - measured in stats- is not indicative as success as a HC. He's done very well as DC in SF though and comes highly recommended by the coaches and players there.  This year they were devastated by injuries and they still played well.   He's no Gase, who was a failed HC before he came to the Jets. He's young, enthusiastic.  Read this 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/06/06/robert-saleh-49ers-defensive-coordinator-arab-american

along with some other You-tube descriptions in this thread

Thank you for the insight, appreicate it

5 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

Word is he was our #1 choice. Fact that he left the building without a deal means its pretty much done. 

Does not mean that at all.

Maybe they left it with Saleh saying " I really, really like the discussions we have and the way you are setting this organization up. I want to strongly consider this opportunity, but I have other visits scheduled and I do not want to do myself, or my family the disservice of not talking with everyone. If I may be a finalist for your position, and you are at the point of making that decision, please make sure you will contact me. And I promise I will do the same.

The art of negotiation. Never close doors.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Maybe they left it with Saleh saying " I really, really like the discussions we have and the way you are setting this organization up. I want to strongly consider this opportunity, but I have other visits scheduled and I do not want to do myself, or my family the disservice of not talking with everyone. If I may be a finalist for your position, and you are at the point of making that decision, please make sure you will contact me. And I promise I will do the same.

or maybe he said "i'll be in touch", all the while thinking "i can't believe douglas actually wants me to keep darnold..."

• Haha 1

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Yea let me pass on one of 7 available jobs paying millions of dollars because I’m curious what the guy down the street has to say. 

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The way the Jets organization and the Jets fans treated Adam Gase, what do you expect?

He didn't get a chance from the beginning, the opening press conference, the twitchy fans and the bloodthirsty media out to get him, planes flying and billboards screaming for his head just 4 weeks into his coaching tenure, finished 6-2 and got no love, saw his front office get rid of the entire cover of the 2019 yearbook, have his expansion roster give 200% every game, and then had his GM throw him under the bus after winning 2 of his last 3.

Florham Park is NFL Siberia.  And that was before what the organization, media, and fans did to Gase.  Now?  Forget it.

SAR I

Please, with this nonsense. With the notable exception of Gase (and he earned his dismissal), the Johnsons have been overly supportive of their head coaches, and in most cases kept them on too long. They have not knee jerked on head coaches. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Really makes me curious about the life experience of some fans. It's like we live on different planets sometimes lol

• Upvote 1