Robert Saleh Interview Discussion : MERGED

Just now, QB1 said:

Yea let me pass on one of 7 available jobs paying millions of dollars because I’m curious what the guy down the street has to say. 

The Jets are not the team to give a candidate a "sign now or we're pulling the offer" ultimatum.  The Eagles are. 

We always get Mr. Irrelevant.  Not sure why anyone thinks Roots Steakhouse was going to change that.

SAR I

26 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Pretty amazing how fast this went from Saleh is a good candidate --> Saleh is the best candidate --> we need to hire Saleh today --> hiring Saleh is literally the only outcome I will be ok with

It's funny. I've said for weeks now, even before before the process started I thought Saleh was the best candidate.  But I never thought we'd have a shot.  Until last night.  Then now my hopes are dashed (a bit, still don't think it's over) and I'm still not nearly as upset as some!  A sea of emotions this place!

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, QB1 said:

Yea let me pass on one of 7 available jobs paying millions of dollars because I’m curious what the guy down the street has to say. 

No job offer for a salaried position with a reputable organization (yes, Jets aren't reputable ha ha) has ever been given with an acceptance window that ends when you walk out of the interview room.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

The Jets are not the team to give a candidate a "sign now or we're pulling the offer" ultimatum.  The Eagles are. 

We always get Mr. Irrelevant.  Not sure why anyone thinks Roots Steakhouse was going to change that.

SAR I

I would never accept such a job offer unless I absolutely needed it to feed my family that week and I'd immediately start searching for a new job on day one.

14 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

So you are the Johnsons and you give your GM newfound responsibility of hiring the next coach for your club.

During this process he brings you one guy. Mommy, mommy please, I want to buy this one. Believe me, he is the best.

How do you feel about your GM now? And I don't believe that is how JD operates. Smart managers convey their convictions by providing options, and explain the differences and why.

I understand your point but they have done homework on these guys to identify and request an interview with them.  They went through the first round and that point they should have strong idea of who they want if they hadn't already.   The 2nd interview is almost 50/50.  We want more info but we are also selling ourselves to them.    A steak dinner, hotel stay and meeting with the owner is a lot of work to do for multiple candidates when when their are  seven openings in the NFL.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

No job offer for a salaried position with a reputable organization (yes, Jets aren't reputable ha ha) has ever been given with an acceptance window that ends when the interviews end.

No offer was made. You don’t fly to Florida to interview the eagles if an offer was made. This is a second interview, Saleh doesn’t spend two days with the Jets if he isn’t hoping to get an offer and accept it on the spot.

• WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The way the Jets organization and the Jets fans treated Adam Gase, what do you expect?

He didn't get a chance from the beginning, the opening press conference, the twitchy fans and the bloodthirsty media out to get him, planes flying and billboards screaming for his head just 4 weeks into his coaching tenure, finished 6-2 and got no love, saw his front office get rid of the entire cover of the 2019 yearbook, have his expansion roster give 200% every game, and then had his GM throw him under the bus after winning 2 of his last 3.

Florham Park is NFL Siberia.  And that was before what the organization, media, and fans did to Gase.  Now?  Forget it.

SAR I

His drug induced, bat sht crazy, googly eyed, most bizarre ever opening press conference I've ever seen was the fans fault?

• Upvote 1

Just now, prime21 said:

I understand your point but they have done homework on these guys to identify and request an interview with them.  They went through the first round and that point they should have strong idea of who they want if they hadn't already.   The 2nd interview is almost 50/50.  We want more info but we are also selling ourselves to them.    A steak dinner, hotel stay and meeting with the owner is a lot of work to do for multiple candidates when when their are  seven openings in the NFL.

Yet, it happens every year with multiple teams.

And, just not in the NFL, in real life with many professions.

That said, I have no idea where this sits.

Just now, QB1 said:

No offer was made. You don’t fly to Florida to interview the eagles if an offer was made. 

Maybe it was. Maybe it was not. But the lack of an announcement that he's been hired as the next Jets HC certainly does not mean that one was not made.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

A sea of emotions this place!

That’s trauma at work for you.

A reactionary fanbase  is nothing new or special to the Jets, but it’s hyper volatile in our case because of the lack of success we’ve had recently. That same emotional powder keg extends to the QB position, draft etc. all areas of sustained ineptitude

7 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Well I'm not an NFL HC but in law school, I had offers to interview with two law firms in Philly. Got flown out there, put in the Ritz Carlton, interviewed with both over two days and then had two dinners the second night with both. It was actually funny, I kept telling firm #1 that I had a hard stop at 8:00 to go to the other dinner. They did their best to get me drunk so I'd blow the second dinner. I think my cholesterol went up 50 points that night. I ended up accepting with firm #1. Draw your own conclusions lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I would be worried about the guy if he signed with the Jets, while having other interviews scheduled. And I would be disappointed with the Jets if they did the same.

Whether there is ultimately a consummation, I have no clue. But the dating game has to play out on both sides.

Usually I'd agree in most scenarios but these don't happen in a vacuum. While you're waiting to fulfill your future interviews, for Saleh, jobs fill up and for the Jets, candidates they've interviewed sign elsewhere waiting for the rest of the interviews to be completed.

If every team & every candidate waited until all the interviews were over, then that'd be different. But that doesn't happen. What if Saleh is ultimately only getting an interview from the Jets, and while he's pondering their offer they interview someone else who knocks the team's socks off at the second interview, and Saleh missed his chance. Similar from the other end for the team: they finished their interviews, and in the end like Saleh best, but by the time they've decided Saleh has already signed elsewhere.

So I think both sides could be given a good amount of slack for cancelling future interviews because they've already made a love connection.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Please, with this nonsense. With the notable exception of Gase (and he earned his dismissal), the Johnsons have been overly supportive of their head coaches, and in most cases kept them on too long. They have not knee jerked on head coaches. 

It's not nonsense.  And it's not the Johnson's fault.  

The New York Media, the New York Jets Fanbase, and Joe Douglas have blood on their hands for how we are perceived by the NFL in January 2021.  

What is attractive about this job?  Cap space and draft capital doesn't matter if NYJ HC cancel culture puts you on the hot seat 10 seconds into a press conference because of a medical condition.  The guys who flew those planes in Gase's 4th week are idiots and are costing us bigtime right now.

And we're the team with the HC opening that has the worst situation at QB.  And worse than that, we have a QB that is going to be the huge decision immediately thrown into the lap of the new candidate triggering the media and the fanbase.  They don't have those issues in Jacksonville, Detroit, Houston, Atlanta, Philadelphia, or San Diego.  Fields looking like crap on Monday just adds to the challenge.

We are going to wind up with Mr. Irrelevant again.  We're going to wind up with the bottom-rung coordinator or the desperate retread.  This job is less attractive than it was in 2018 and all we were able to get is Adam Gase.  Think about that.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Jets like the guy, he is one of the finalists but as I speculated in another thread, Douglas is holding to a disciplined strategy of wanting to talk to his top candidates and is not going to panic and make a panic hire.  There are several good mandates.  For me as long as we get one of them I'll be happy enough. 

The jets are a desirable destination believe it or not.  A well respected GM, lots of draft capital, lots of cap space, a situation were the nxt coach and go with the existing Qb or start over.

And a top level training facility. Coaches love to see investment in state of the art equipment and next gen training options

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

There is no way Joe is bringing everyone on the 2nd round to CJ if he is leading the search.   Money or the wife is the blame right now but I'm sure she has done her homework way in advance of this 2nd interview.  I say we balked on $$$$

^this

23 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

You’re still having problems with that huh?

Three-legged stool, man.  You can have it fast, you can have it cheap, or you can have high quality.  You can't have all three.

(And yes, I got your joke.  The wife says hello by the way.  "Is he in Vegas?  Did he end up marrying the babysitter?" lol )

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's not nonsense.  And it's not the Johnson's fault.  

The New York Media, the New York Jets Fanbase, and Joe Douglas have blood on their hands for how we are perceived by the NFL in January 2021.  

What is attractive about this job?  Cap space and draft capital doesn't matter if NYJ HC cancel culture puts you on the hot seat 10 seconds into a press conference because of a medical condition.  The guys who flew those planes in Gase's 4th week are idiots and are costing us bigtime right now.

And we're the team with the HC opening that has the worst situation at QB.  And worse than that, we have a QB that is going to be the huge decision immediately thrown into the lap of the new candidate triggering the media and the fanbase.  They don't have those issues in Jacksonville, Detroit, Houston, Atlanta, Philadelphia, or San Diego.  Fields looking like crap on Monday just adds to the challenge.

We are going to wind up with Mr. Irrelevant again.  We're going to wind up with the bottom-rung coordinator or the desperate retread.  This job is less attractive than it was in 2018 and all we were able to get is Adam Gase.  Think about that.

SORE I/2

SORE I/2

7A934FEB-0AB2-4F92-8F1F-DE86DBA47E21.jpeg

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Insane. 

They learned nothing from the Celtics trade. 

I give Steve Nash a lot of credit for being an amazing player and person.  But you gotta have rocks for brains to get between Kyrie Irving and Kevin Durant.  Either that or not realizing that a few million dollars isn't worth going to the Funny Farm.

13 minutes ago, jgb said:

I would never accept such a job offer unless I absolutely needed it to feed my family that week and I'd immediately start searching for a new job on day one.

You know how it works in the NFL.  Big egos on both sides.  Johnson wants to be loved by his HC candidate and the HC candidate wants to feel like it's just a perfect opportunity.  It's a love-at-first-sight situation.  The handsome man and the beautiful girl see each other across the dance floor.  They walk towards each other.  Their eyes lock.  They both just know it is meant to be.

So when Salah leaves, it's over.  Unless he strikes out with other teams, he's not coming here.  And he's the top candidate, right?  Why would we ever get that?

SAR I

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

It's the Jets. Let's face it.  They took him to that sad Ruth's Chris inside the Parsippany Hilton.

I'd be on that flight to Miami too.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You know how it works in the NFL.  Big egos on both sides.  Johnson wants to be loved by his HC candidate and the HC candidate wants to feel like it's just a perfect opportunity.  It's a love-at-first-sight situation.  The handsome man and the beautiful girl see each other across the dance floor.  They walk towards each other.  Their eyes lock.  They both just know it is meant to be.

So when Salah leaves, it's over.  Unless he strikes out with other teams, he's not coming here.

SAR I

Imagine what would happen if Saleh accepted a job on the spot without at least giving his wife a courtesy consult. Even if his mind is made up, some boxes just need to be checked.

• Sympathy 1