2021 NY JETS/NFL FREE AGENCY DRAFT TRADES RUMORS HAPPENINGS ***

14 minutes ago, freestater said:

@Jetlife33, let me add to the voices praising you for all the updates. Great job with the thread, thank you very much. 

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

Me too. Thank you for keeping us right up to speed.

Thank you both! I hope I’ve been an asset to the board and to Jets fans. Might be a little more difficult this morning as I am at work, but I will continue to try my best. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

The one guy I can see them signing/hope they sign is Curtis Samuel at around $10-11m per year on a 3-year deal, which would likely result in an eventual Jamison Crowder trade. 

This is what I want to see today. 

Appreciate the additional info football guy ?

• Upvote 2

It wasn't exactly the day we hoped for but at least two solid signings that made sense put a good spin on it.  Compare it to the Jaguars' day.  They started with the most cap in the league to spend, and didn't bring in a single starter.  Their forum looks like ours did before we signed Corey Davis.  Mausoleum would be kind.  They are desperate for Trent Williams and Hunter Henry.

One could start to wonder what Trevor Lawrence's opinion of yesterday was.

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Compare it to the Jaguars' day.  They started with the most cap in the league to spend, and didn't bring in a single starter.  Their forum looks like ours did before we signed Corey Davis.  Mausoleum would be kind.  

One could start to wonder what Trevor Lawrence's opinion of yesterday was.

I was thinking not much has been made of this. New golden age with a generational QB - you make your splash by signing Carlos Hyde and Phillip Dorsett? Hard pass.

9 hours ago, Stark said:

It only took the 5th overall pick how many years to have a #2 wr season? I watch more Titans games than I care because they are in market Corey Davis is a dude that isn’t the main guy  I think that Mims is same player. 

and he never played in an Adam Gase offense. 

fact is he’s a jet so I’m going to hope he proves me wrong and doesn’t revert to his normal 5-600 yard 3 TD season. 

That is so irrelevant to the real point. The real point is Mims hasn’t even sniffed 400 yards yet so no, he isn’t just like Corey Davis because he has yet to produce like Corey Davis. You could watch Titans games your entire life before today and I still would of told you that it’s a lazy comparison. Let’s wait for Mims to do something to even show you he’s a solid WR2. Another thing, having two WR2’s isn’t a bad thing. Pls show me a time when the Jets weren’t hurting for some kind of real NFL WR. They did well picking up a solid guy who’s more than just a slot or a Braxton Berrios or a Greg Salas or a Clyde Gates. There should be one more signing at WR then draft one. We aren’t done.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I don't get the Crowder hate.

He's 27 and not making ridiculous $ ($11 million this year). Ridiculously consistent. Ok, not the biggest guy and the little slot guys get nicked up.

Is Samuel that much of an improvement and will he be that much cheaper?

It’s not hate for Crowder, just that he’s not a great fit in this offense IMO. If you could off load his salary and add a couple million more maybe you could get Samuel in his place.  You only eat up a few million more in cap space but get a player that gives you way more versatility and a much better scheme fit.  

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

He's 27 and not making ridiculous $ ($11 million this year). Ridiculously consistent. Ok, not the biggest guy and the little slot guys get nicked up.

I agree 100%.  We dont have to get Samuel or JuJu.  Would be nice, but not really needed.  Crowder is very legit as our slot guy.  

6 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I’m kinda at this point too.  Crowder was very reliable and I’m surprised so many are so eager to kick him to the curb. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Same here, makes zero sense ! Caught 78 balls two years ago, and 59 this year in 11 games. All while playing with terrible qbs. Samuel is not an upgrade. Just extend Crowder a yr or so, and smooth out cap number.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Honestly?  I think their price tags would be close enough to justify it because, yes, I believe that he is that much of an upgrade.

JuJu?  Nah, just keep Crowder.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I don’t think it’s hate - he’s a really consistent player signed by the old GM who doesn’t really seem to fit the new GM’s philosophy or the new coaching staff’s system.

Last offseason Joe Douglas talked about how “speed creates pressure, pressure bursts pipes” which isn’t something Crowder really fits in.

From what I can glean from the system the Jets are bringing in - teams like the Packers and 49ers who ran similar stuff had three or more wide receivers on the field a lot less than the Jets did under Gase. Less fit for a slot only receiver and more for someone who can play inside and outside like Samuel.

Plus the wide receivers get used in the run game which Samuel fits in better - and he’s more explosive. Really demanded touches last year in an offense with two other good receivers too and it makes sense it took him time to develop since he came into the league as more of a RB/WR hybrid (which is also why he’s a good fit in this offense).

I do think that there’s talk of trading Crowder rather than cutting him is indicative of the idea that he’s a quality player. Samuels just younger and a better fit and can pretty much step into the cap space.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Amazingly 80% of this forum cannot figure this out each year when we have tons of cap space and most peoples list of our gets are always the top 3 or

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Frankly, I'm surprised we haven't seen the 'Cut Corey Davis' threads yet.

guys.  They also all assume teams with not a lot of cap space are doomed and they rarely are if they really really want a player.

Signing Kenyon drake for speed and fournette for power instead of drafting najee makes sense .

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick signed with WFT, so Darnold is out here.

WFT will likely draft a QB (Trask most likely, or Mac Jones) and let them sit behind Fitzmagic for a season or less.

The market for Darnold shrinks.

still think he winds up in pittsburgh for a 3rd this year and a conditional next year.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The Texans signings look like they’re patching together a CFL expansion team. Watson is gonna drop a nuke on the facility before long and King Joe D will have his QB.

Houston is stubborn and doesn’t trade Watson before the draft.

Carolina, still desperate for their QB and willing to be aggressive, gives Douglas an offer for 2 that’s more “trade up from 8 for a QB at 2” than “trade up from 8 to 2”. We’ve been seeing the 8, 39, 2022 first round pick offers. Those have no QB premium attached.

Joe Douglas, always seeking value, accepts.

Houston realizes post draft the Watson situation is untenable.

The Jets have three 2022 first round picks.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Texans signings look like they’re patching together a CFL expansion team. Watson is gonna drop a nuke on the facility before long and King Joe D will have his QB.

That would be my preference, but I think those buffoons are going to seriously tell Watson to kick rocks until his value is down to absolutely nothing and they’re forced to sell him next off-season.

• Upvote 1