Why Robert Saleh thinks Jets fans are more invested than Giants fans

Why Robert Saleh thinks Jets fans are ‘more invested’ than Giants fans

Updated 7:01 AM; Today 7:01 AM 
San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh

New York Jets head coach Robert Saleh is putting the New York Giants fanbase on notice.Getty Images

Maybe the Jets and Giants can become a rivalry worth watching again with Robert Saleh and Joe Judge in the fold.

Judge hasn’t said much of anything about the Jets, but Saleh — hired recently as the Jets’ latest head coach — said something on a recent podcast that is sure to rile up Giants fans.

Saleh went on the “Huddle and Flow” podcast earlier this week and compared the two fan bases to that of the people that support Michigan and Michigan State football.

The Giants were Michigan in this comparison.

“The (Jets) fan base is so passionate,” Saleh said. “So I went to Michigan State. Got my master’s from there. Have a strong connection to Michigan State. Go Green, right? And when you look at Michigan State(’s) fan base versus Michigan(’s) fan base, it’s very similar to what you see in New York if you think about it.

“Michigan’s more … We always make fun of Michigan for kind of being more the uppity-ups, sit on your hands, where the Spartan fans are a little bit more rambunctious, a little bit more passionate, a little bit more — they’re louder,” Saleh added. “Like we always say a loaded stadium in East Lansing is a hell of a lot louder than the loaded stadium at the Big House” in Ann Arbor, where the Wolverines play.

Saleh kept going too.

This next quote is sure to get Giants fans going.

“But at the same time, so when you get here, you just feel that,” Saleh said. “When we’ve played the Jets in the past versus the Giants — no disrespect to them, they’re absolutely a phenomenal franchise. But the Jets’ fan base has ... is a lot more ... feels more invested, I should say. They feel more invested in the way they are just so passionate about their team.”

Saleh was the 49ers’ defensive coordinator for the last four seasons, and San Francisco traveled to East Rutherford to face both the Jets and Giants in 2020 ... but no fans were in the stands for either game.

The 49ers didn’t travel to New York for any of Saleh’s previous three seasons with the organization, though he was in East Rutherford twice in 2015 as part of the Jaguars staff: For a preseason game against the Giants (which the Giants won) and a Week 9 matchup with the Jets (which the Jets won).

The Giants and Jets aren’t scheduled to face off in 2021 or 2022, though the two teams traditionally face off in the preseason. There was no preseason in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The Jets move the needle. If we’re good this year or if we get Deshaun Watson, ESPN, Fox Sports, the internet in general all becomes a Jets hub. It’s because as a fan base we activate and people love us or love to hate us. Pretty sure after 2010 ,3 of the top 4 highest rated games of all time (besides super bowl) were Jets games.

Jets, Knicks and Yankees all move the needle big time in NY

I include the Mets too

giants fanbase is older, tired, arrogant.  The management of the team has gone in the toilet and they don’t care they still take Joe Judge seriously like he has a clue

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Jets, Knicks and Yankees all move the needle big time in NY

I include the Mets too

giants fanbase is older, tired, arrogant.  The management of the team has gone in the toilet and they don’t care they still take Joe Judge seriously like he has a clue

Idk about the Yankees or Knicks, but with the Jets, I was living in Boston in 2010 and they talked so much about the Jets it was hilarious to me.

• Upvote 1

I’m not sure if he’s wrong or right but I like the fact he’s put some thought into the situation. Being a team that doesn’t have the  the largest fan base in its own back yard is unique in the NFL at least until the Chargers moved north. It affects the psyche of Jets fans. I live in the Philly area and it’s all for one and one for all when it comes to Eagles coverage and enthusiasm especially when they’re doing well. Growing up a Jet fan in north Jersey you’re not even rooting for the most popular team in the area. I guess rooting for Michigan State gives him some insight to that and I think that helps him understand what he’s up against and helps us get over any inferiority complex we might have. I love hearing him stake a claim for us being the more invested fans. Whether it translates into wins or not remains to be seen. 

• Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

The Jets move the needle. If we’re good this year or if we get Deshaun Watson, ESPN, Fox Sports, the internet in general all becomes a Jets hub. It’s because as a fan base we activate and people love us or love to hate us. Pretty sure after 2010 ,3 of the top 4 highest rated games of all time (besides super bowl) were Jets games.

The funny thing is the NYJ are the most talked about team in football rn with a super bowl on the horizon 

Who cares about the Giants or Giants fans, they're irrelevant to the Jets. 

Throwing empty rhetoric PR red meat to a certain insecure population of local Jets Fans is not what I want from Saleh.

Talking sh*t, even mildly, before coaching a single snap here?  A lot of Jets fans will love it, but it's very Rex Ryan'esque.

Waiting on "not going to kiss Bellichek's Rings" comment next.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Throwing empty rhetoric PR red meat to a certain insecure population of local Jets Fans is not what I want from Saleh.

Throwing empty rhetoric PR red meat to one or another certain insecure population of local Jets fans is one strategy for the marketing of content to generate advertising and licensing revenues. That's the actual goal. Winning is just a different marketing strategy. I know Jets fans are loyal customers but sometimes it's hard to tell whether they have much interest in football.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Idk about the Yankees or Knicks, but with the Jets, I was living in Boston in 2010 and they talked so much about the Jets it was hilarious to me.

I’m a Yankees fan and I do think our fan base has gotten a little bit spoiled.  If the Yankees do get back to the World Series tho the stadium will be rocking in the Bronx next fall with fans

The Knicks owned this city in the 90’s during the Ewing/Riley years.  If Thibs can develop this young group into a competitive team this fanbase and city will go nuts just look at what happened with Linsanity in 2012

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, kdels62 said:

100%. When the Jets are good - it’s good for business - one way or the other. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, kdels62 said:

We love us. The country hates us. I’ve lived in a few different parts of the country, we don’t even get sympathy - because they hate our fans.

Jets tickets are more expensive than Giants tickets. And they’ve won two Super Bowls in the last 15 years. Think about that for a second.

I don’t get the Giants hate. We play them once every four years for real. There were jets fans rooting for the Patriots in the super bowl because they were playing the Giants lol that’s crazy. The Patriots are our most hated rival. It’s a typical Mets fan philosophy 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

We love us. The country hates us. I’ve lived in a few different parts of the country, we don’t even get sympathy - because they hate our fans.

The Jets are the only team in the NFL that is not beloved in our home market.  I think that effects the way both the local and national press covers us,   Laughing at the Jet is fun, because everyone does it, even most of our home market.  And its good business too.  Jet fans are going to read Jets pieces fair or unfair.  Negative stories will get clicks from Jets and Giants fans both.  Unfortuantely, as bas as we have ben the past decade, the negative stories have been easier to find.

• WTF? 1

16 hours ago, redlichtie said:

It would appear most of us hate us...and we nearly all hate each other...it’s a Jet thing

Its like a brother or wife thing.  We can hate other Jets fans, like we can hate our wife or siblings but you better not hate on them, otherwise we'll killl you defending the fanbase 

• Upvote 1