Colts, Washington, and Panthers reach out to Jets regarding Darnold

GreekJet

6 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

The question is can we get Carolina's 8th overall pick if we take on Teddy B's contract?

More realistic is Carolina's 2 and a future 2 for Darnold. 

Would anyone else kind of feel bad for a team if they gave up a 1 for Darnold. Would love it. But man what are these guys thinking?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Carolina pick 39 and call it a day.

Then either trade #2, 2022 1st and 2022 2nd for Watson or take Zach Wilson at #2.

Haven't looked at the value but what about Darnold for a swap of our SEA pick up to 8?  

Edited: Actually I looked it up and the difference between pick 8 and 23 is 640 points, equivalent to pick 29. That would jive with Schefter's "late first round" value for Sam. 

• Upvote 1

I could see this being the market for Sam. Something like a 2 and a 2 the next year or so. I can't see a team giving a straight 1 yet this adds up to first round value. Could make a ton of sense. 

The Panthers pick would be the sweetest bc at-least looking at Tony Pauline's board I think it was like picks 24-45 all have a similar grade. Its in the sweet spot of the draft. 

4 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

I could see this being the market for Sam. Something like a 2 and a 2 the next year or so. I can't see a team giving a straight 1 yet this adds up to first round value. Could make a ton of sense. 

The Panthers pick would be the sweetest bc at-least looking at Tony Pauline's board I think it was like picks 24-45 all have a similar grade. Its in the sweet spot of the draft. 

I would want one of those picks to be conditional.

Take a 2nd round pick and then either a '22 or '23 conditional pick based on performance, number of starts, etc.  Something that could be either a 1st or a 3rd.

If the Jets trade Darnold to the Colts (as an example) and they somehow get to the playoffs and maybe even win a game I'd want the Jets to gain from that success by getting something like the late 1st the following year from a team that would pick in the 20's.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

How many times is Teddy B going to join a team only to be replaced by Sam Darnold?

My goodness. That has to be a bit demoralizing. lol

Robby Anderson must be talking up Sammy Boy!

That’s a great point because if he wasn’t I don’t think they would be looking at him now.  

Pauline just posted that he’s hearing that Darnold to the Colts is a likely outcome, but specifies the Jets aren’t shopping him.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/carson-wentz-sam-darnold-on-the-verge-of-being-traded/

Sources tell me they feel it’s a real possibility the Indianapolis Colts end up with Darnold. Yet, the 49ers will also be in the mix.

Related | QB Power Rankings 2020: Mahomes looks to win second Super Bowl, overtake Rodgers

If Colts general manager Chris Ballard and head coach Frank Reich trade for Darnold, it would be more than ironic. Most will remember the Jets gave the Colts a bunch of Day 2 picks over two drafts. This allowed the Jets to move up three spots, from the sixth selection to the third selection, to assure themselves a quarterback in the 2018 NFL Draft. Of course, that quarterback turned out to be Sam Darnold.

Is it a mistake to trade Sam Darnold?

There are a number of people in the league who feel it would be a mistake for the Jets to trade Darnold. As I reported as far back as November, teams still believe Darnold will be a quality starter in the league if coached properly.

More to the point, those I’ve spoken with believe Darnold is the perfect fit for the offensive system that will be implemented by the Jets’ new offensive coordinator, Mike LaFleur.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No way of knowing for certain unless you get to do both in hindsight, but I don’t think so. IMO make a deal while a 3-way bidding war is ongoing, not 2 months later when the offers might lighten (or be down to just one).

The closer we get to the draft, the more teams get excited about which prospects they could get with their picks, or may start making those offers to instead move up for a rookie rather than Darnold. Never mind that they’ll have already made FA plans around the QB they picked up instead. 

Now is when teams would be more interested, before March, so they can make their FA arrangements around a known QB (or QBs). 

These interested teams have/had also been making calls to other teams about other veteran QBs. They’re not sitting on their hands until the draft; and once they’ve made other arrangements they’re not then also making day 1-2 pick offers for Darnold.

This.  Teams don’t want qb uncertainty heading into the draft unless you’re guaranteed to get one like the jets are.  Create a market before FA and trade him when you can get the most value.  Best case is probably to Carolina where you get their 2nd this year and other compensation.  

53 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This.  Teams don’t want qb uncertainty heading into the draft unless you’re guaranteed to get one like the jets are.  Create a market before FA and trade him when you can get the most value.  Best case is probably to Carolina where you get their 2nd this year and other compensation.  

With the exception of teams who pick so high they more or less know what they’ll end up with (including as a worst-case scenario), no team likes heading into the draft with an outright hole at any position, let alone the most important one in the game.

If I’m GM, then I’m not gambling an acceptably-high pick for Darnold now on the hopes that one of these GMs leaves his team with that big hole (and doubly on the hopes that, at that point, they won’t just draft or even trade up for a rookie, including drafting one in round 2, or anyway outside the 2nd-4th ranked QBs we can choose from ourselves). 

Never mind this may change what happens with regards to Watson’s Feb/Mar availability, and just because we have a Darnold to trade doesn’t therefore mean Houston has any interest in him. 

Get the pick(s) now. 

A bird in the hand is worth two in the hairy vajayjay.

• Upvote 2

My question whenever I read these "made a call" headlines ... is it genuine interest or just due diligence?

At this time of year I'm seeing this more as the latter - teams want to assess all the options, weigh up the pros and cons, before deciding what options to pursue / what to avoid. 

To put it another way - without genuine interest, nothing is going to happen in the short term.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Pauline just posted that he’s hearing that Darnold to the Colts is a likely outcome, but specifies the Jets aren’t shopping him.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/carson-wentz-sam-darnold-on-the-verge-of-being-traded/

Sources tell me they feel it’s a real possibility the Indianapolis Colts end up with Darnold. Yet, the 49ers will also be in the mix.

Related | QB Power Rankings 2020: Mahomes looks to win second Super Bowl, overtake Rodgers

If Colts general manager Chris Ballard and head coach Frank Reich trade for Darnold, it would be more than ironic. Most will remember the Jets gave the Colts a bunch of Day 2 picks over two drafts. This allowed the Jets to move up three spots, from the sixth selection to the third selection, to assure themselves a quarterback in the 2018 NFL Draft. Of course, that quarterback turned out to be Sam Darnold.

There are a number of people in the league who feel it would be a mistake for the Jets to trade Darnold. As I reported as far back as November, teams still believe Darnold will be a quality starter in the league if coached properly.

More to the point, those I’ve spoken with believe Darnold is the perfect fit for the offensive system that will be implemented by the Jets’ new offensive coordinator, Mike LaFleur.

This is exactly why Darnold will be gone, why would the Jets hitch their wagon to Darnold hoping he can reach his JAG level ceiling, so they can then pay him big time $ hoping he can remain consistent, when we have the #2 pick in a draft with 3 rookies with way higher ceilings that will be cheap for the next 4 years?

Darnold is done as a starter in this league 

On 9/21/2020 at 8:33 PM, Greenseed4 said:

Rosen was a 10th overall pick; he was traded for a 2nd & 5th. 

Sam was 3rd overall; maybe we can trade him to the Colts in exchange for some 2nd round picks back. We gave them THREE to move up and get him.
I think getting back two 2nd round picks is a fair trade. 

4 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I’ve been saying Sam to Indy for two 2s since week-6, so we know that’s not going to happen. 

Make that week-3

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Shockwave said:

This is not personal, but I feel that many Jets fans have no business trying to negotiate trading Darnold.

Darnold is worth a mid to late first round draft pick, and I wouldn't accept anything less.  

He is 23 years old with 3 years of NFL experience behind him.  He is big, strong, and can make all the throws.  He is a team player, and someone you want in your clubhouse.  Teams who want Darnold believe that he can succeed with the right coaching and the right players; something that Sam has not had yet in his career.

Fans who want to trade him for a 2 or 2 two's need to have a class on negotiating 101.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

"There are a number of people in the league who feel it would be a mistake for the Jets to trade Darnold." 

But Jets are going to Jets, and the writers are going to encourage that behavior, because Woodrow. Got it. 

11 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I could see Sam's value being a little higher just because of Wentz injury history and contract.

If the Jets are really interested in trading for Watson, I wonder how JD values the timing of a trade of Sam.

With Sam still on the roster, their need for a QB is not as imminent, which may allow them to play hardball with the Texans.

However, getting Watson would likely drive the value of Sam down, since teams know they need to get rid of Sam.

Of course, trading Sam before Watson gives us more ammo to use in a trade for Watson.

Things are going to be really interesting in the next couple of weeks.

• Upvote 2