***OFFICIAL*** FIRE JOE DOUGLAS THREAD

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

All we've done is replace a bunch of 2020 "value" picks with 2021 "value" picks.  Of the 26 players on expiring 1-year deals we have replaced 8 of them.  Meaning we are going to have a roster with 18 more "value" picks we haven't seen yet, picks from the draft or the draft leftovers.

Is the roster actually better than last year?  Especially with QB unresolved and, perhaps, sticking with Darnold?  Not right now.  Did Douglas do enough in free agency to close the delta between the Jets and the Bills/Dolphins/Patriots?  No.

He'd better have the greatest draft in team history or we are looking at another uncompetitive season.

SAR I

That right there is the concern.  The Jets seem to be banking on their ability to Draft starting caliber CBs, OGs, TEs, RBs, and LBs with their first 3 picks.  I give JD a lot of credit for marrying need, value and talent in last year's first two rounds.  OL and WR were two of the biggest needs in 2020 (and still seem to be needs now), but Joe D hit them without reaching.  Hopefully that success doesn't make the Jets overconfident that they can do the same thing this year, especially IF they're going to use the #2 for a QB replacement.

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Cant "overpay"...we much rather be 6-10 feeling good abut ourselves not "overpaying" talented players....

4 and 12, 1 and 7 in the division me not feeling so good about NY Jets having 100 million in cap space next year.  Me putting hose from newly leased BMW 3 series (Leatherette seats) exhaust pipe into small opening in window.  

• Haha 2

Just now, Biggs said:

4 and 12, 1 and 7 in the division me not feeling so good about NY Jets having 100 million in cap space next year.  Me putting hose from newly leased BMW 3 series (Leatherette seats) exhaust pipe into small opening in window.  

When you're so bad you sweep yourself.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

All we've done is replace a bunch of 2020 "value" picks with 2021 "value" picks.  Of the 26 players on expiring 1-year deals we have replaced 8 of them.  Meaning we are going to have a roster with 18 more "value" picks we haven't seen yet, picks from the draft or the draft leftovers.

Is the roster actually better than last year?  Especially with QB unresolved and, perhaps, sticking with Darnold?  Not right now.  Did Douglas do enough in free agency to close the delta between the Jets and the Bills/Dolphins/Patriots?  No.

He'd better have the greatest draft in team history or we are looking at another uncompetitive season.

SAR I

Best draft in team history? Haha, bar way too low. To make up for his FA impotence he better have the best draft in league history. If last year draft  was any indicator, we in for a very bumpy ride. 

• Post of the Week 4

59 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Cant "overpay"...we much rather be 6-10 feeling good abut ourselves not "overpaying" talented players....

"I am here to win Championships*"

*  TO GET EXTRA SAVINGS: Place qualifying items in shopping bag,then enter promo code SPRING in the box labeled HAVE A PROMO CODE? and click APPLY. You can enter the promo code in your shopping bag at any time before or during checkout. Only one promo code may be used per transaction. EXTRA 20% OFF select sale & clearance clothing,accessories & jewelry. EXTRA 15% OFF select sale & clearance shoes,suits,coats,dresses,lingerie,swim for her,watches,luggage & home items. EXCLUDES ALL: Bonus Buys,Deals of the Day,Doorbusters,Everyday Values (EDV),Last Act Clearance,Macys Backstage,Our Lowest Prices of the Season,Specials,Super Buys,The Market @ Macys,select womens accessories including belts/hats/gloves/scarves,athletic clothing/shoes/accessories,baby gear,select designer and bridal dresses,select capsule collections,select china/crystal/silver,cloth face masks,coffee & Nespresso pods,select contemporary apparel,cosmetics/fragrances,select designer handbags/shoes,select designer jewelry/watches,select designer lingerie/hosiery/sleepwear,select designer mens apparel,select designer and bridge sportswear,furniture/mattresses/rugs/lamps/wall art,Gift Cards,golf apparel,select gourmet food,island apparel,jewelry trunk shows,kids athletic apparel & accessories,kids & baby shoes,select leased & licensed depts.,lighting,maternity,outdoor apparel/shoes,premium denim,previous purchases,restaurants,select seasonal footwear,services,small appliances,smart watches/jewelry,special orders,special purchases,sterling flatware,surf & skate,select swimwear,select tech,select toys/games,select vendor direct brands,select water bottles,7 for All Mankind,Action Sports,Anova,Apple,Armani Exchange,Avirex,b8ta,Barbour,BCBG,Bernardaud,Bernhardt Furniture,Birkenstock,Brahmin,Breville,Briggs & Riley,Brooks Brothers Red Fleece/dress shirts/neckwear,Calvin Klein bedding,Casafina,Casper,Christofle,COACH,Columbia,Coton Colors,Coravin,Crocs,Degs & Sal,Demeyere,Dickies,Dyson,E=MC2,E-SPORT,Eastern Mountain Sports,Ecco,ergoPouch,Eileen Fisher footwear,Eileen Fisher SYSTEM,Erbario Toscano,Escada Sport,Fidelity,Fila,Finish Line,FitFlop,Fjällräven,Foot Petals,Fox,Frye,Frye & Co.,Frye Mainline,Gentil Bandit,Gentle Souls,Global Cutlery,Global Good Partners,Global Views,Goorin Bros.,GUESS Originals,Hooker Furniture,select Hugo Boss,Hurom,iittala,Illume,Instant Pot,J Brand,Jack Rogers,Jen7,Johnston & Murphy,Jonas Studio jewelry,Josie Natori sleepwear,Just Cavalli,Karl Lagerfeld Paris,kate spade new york accessories/coats,Kendra Scott,Kenneth Cole kids shoes,Keurig,King Baby,KitchenAid Pro Line,Koolaburra by UGG®,KyteBABY,LeCreuset,Leesa,LEGO®,LensCrafters,Levis®,Lids,Lipault,Lladró,Lovesac,Mango,Marc Jacobs,Marciano,Marimekko,Merrell,Michael Aram,select Michael Kors/Michael Michael Kors,Minnetonka,Miyabi,Movado Bold,My Pillow,Naked & Famous,Nectar,Nike On-Field,Nike swim,Original Penguin,Philips,Pig & Hen,Polo Ralph Lauren for women,,Pure Beauty,Purple,REEF,Rimowa,Rosenthal,Royal Copenhagen,Royal Doulton,RuffleButts,Sakroots,Sam Edelman,Scotch & Soda, Kayjewelry,Sebago,Seraphine,Shun,simplehuman,Smeg,Sorelshoes,Spanx,Splendid,Spyder,Staub,Stearns & Foster,select STORY,Stuart Weitzman,Sunglass Hut,Swarovski crystal,Swell,Ted Baker,Tempur-Pedic,Teva,The Comfy,The North Face,Thomasville,Timberland mens apparel,Timberland Premium,TimberlandPRO,TommyBahama,TommyJohn,ToryBurch,Tumi,UGG®,Uttermost,Vans,Vera Wang Wedgwood,VIETRI,Vitamix,Wacoal,Waterford,Weatherproof Vintage,Wedgwood,Wolf Gourmet,Woolrich mens shoes,Wüsthof & Zwilling J.A. Henckels cutlery,Zac Posen; mens Cole Haan outerwear,select Polo Ralph Lauren for him. Cannot be combined with any coupon,extra discount or credit offer except opening a new Macys account. Extra savings % applied to reduced prices. Extra savings end March 21,2021

• Haha 4

It seems pretty clear Douglas will go to any length to avoid being saddled with bad contracts. That's why his free agent signings are modest. He tries to get value in FA and to expand the organization's reliance on the draft.

Now, that is going to mean it takes longer to win, which will drive Jets fans crazy.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Many of us might be dead by the time that happens. 

Entirely possible.

But the Jets have tried the other way. They've tried the shortcut of spending big in FA to become good faster. It's gotten the team a wild card, maybe a playoff win here or there. But has that ever gotten the Jets a title?

• Upvote 1

I like the Carl Lawson and Corey Davis signings.  I think he had a few big misses though.

How much more optimistic would the outlook be going into the draft if we made the following moves:

-Sign Carl Lawson.
-Sign Corey Davis.
-Sign Jarrad Davis.
-Sign Kevin Zeitler $27M/3yrs ($4.5M more than he got from the Ravens)
-Sign Juju Smith Schuster $24M/2yrs ($16M more than he got from the Steelers)
-Sign Jason Verrett $12M/2yrs ($7M more than he got from the 49ers)
-Sign Brian Poole $10M/2yrs

Cut Lewis and Crowder ($15.5M)
Don't sign Keelan Cole ($5.5M)
Don't sign Dan Feeney ($3.5M)

I know hindsight is 2020, they know more than we do, and maybe they did make aggressive offers that weren't accepted, but this would have cost the Jets $7.5M more than what they've done so far.  You go into the draft and can go BPA with every pick.

I get the feeling Douglas wasn't prepared to adapt to some unexpected cuts and maybe a couple of the guys he hoped to sign were targeted more aggressively by other teams.  There are still good CBs available to sign, so maybe he can fill in some holes there.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

It seems pretty clear Douglas will go to any length to avoid being saddled with bad contracts. That's why his free agent signings are modest. He tries to get value in FA and to expand the organization's reliance on the draft.

Now, that is going to mean it takes longer to win, which will drive Jets fans crazy.

It also means you'll never really get a great free agent signing.  If a one year contract works out, you have to pay market value the next year.  You'll also never add top talent through free agency.  You can build through the draft and still do better than he's done in free agency so far.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The Eagles are a mess what role did JD Play in that before he left. 

And the Ravens have won exactly 1 Super Bowl despite being one of the most consistent winning teams in the NFL for the last 20 years.

And if Joe Flacco didn't fluke his way to an unbelievable postseason, they'd be 0-20.

SAR I

I'd be happy with a winning season

Entirely possible.
But the Jets have tried the other way. They've tried the shortcut of spending big in FA to become good faster. It's gotten the team a wild card, maybe a playoff win here or there. But has that ever gotten the Jets a title?

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

I'd be happy with a winning season

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

I wouldn't.

I've seen winning seasons. I've seen division titles. I've seen AFC championship games. But I've never seen the Jets in the Super Bowl.

So if given the choice, I'd rather they suck one or two more years if it makes them legit Super Bowl contenders than if they have a winning record sooner.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 6:07 AM, SAR I said:

SAR I

This is the setup he’s given himself. Really Idzik level of cliff to work with. If you’re going to go all in on the draft to this degree you have to hit big and land at least 3-4 starters per year like the Jets did in ‘00 or ‘06. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is the setup he’s given himself. Really Idzik level of cliff to work with. If you’re going to go all in on the draft to this degree you have to hit big and land at least 3-4 starters per year like the Jets did in ‘00 or ‘06. 

Qb has to be good.   At least 1 starting O lineman.

At least 1 contributing player on D.

It would also really help if Mims and Davis show improvement.

On 3/20/2021 at 12:11 AM, SackExchangeNYJ said:

I wouldn't.

I've seen winning seasons. I've seen division titles. I've seen AFC championship games. But I've never seen the Jets in the Super Bowl.

So if given the choice, I'd rather they suck one or two more years if it makes them legit Super Bowl contenders than if they have a winning record sooner.

I’m so tired of JETS fans who celebrate 9 and 7.      I think most fans are happy with the the Pennington years. No 11 win seasons, no deep playoff run, just a basic door prize.   they were basically not going anywhere.  We played an injury prone QB as if he were a savior.   

• Upvote 2