2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

53 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Do you think that this conservative approach of not wanting to make a decision too soon has - ironically - made the decision for them?  It seems that by not playing the negotiating game sooner, the window on either trading the pick OR Sam for FMV has closed, and now they are basically locked in to keeping the #2 pick - and therefore selecting a QB. Or do you think they would consider using the pick on a non-QB at this point? I personally don't think they take the TE or LT at #2.

The teams that might be looking to trade for Darnold are most likely looking to have him either compete for a starting job or sit behind their current starter for awhile. I don't think any of those windows have closed, as it would basically be whether they have a developmental QB on the roster or not. Or if that player is Darnold or a draft pick of their own. Their calculations haven't changed. 

Jets are either taking a QB at #2 or trading out. That hasn't changed, either. 

56 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Hey, just curious because I believe and genuinely appreciate your posts... do you have any concern that you're revealing just a little too much and that your contacts in the org are on to the fact that you're sharing here? Or is it not a big deal to them since you're not really hurting their positions in any way?

I mean yes and no. That would really suck if they lost their jobs over something like this but how realistic is it that someone from the org is scouring the internet to find leaks and then trying to figure out who the leaker is? As far as them being on here I'm like 99% sure they're not lol if they were they would've said something to me by now. I don't think many Jets fans are nagging them as much as I am for info lol 

53 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Interesting.  Their draft cupboard is as bare as I think I've ever seen in the history of the draft.  One 2nd, one 4th, one 7th.  

In a way, I wonder if a creative trade of Sam plus a draft pick for a player doesn't make more sense for them.  They are mashed up against the cap as it is.  I don't have any idea who that player might be (no...not Jamal thank you!) but it seems like a scenario that could work if the right player was there.  Someone who could start for us, and has a low dead money number.  Not sure that guy exists there though.

It would have to be something like that but one I thought about was a pick-swap this year, no picks next year, but a conditional 2nd round pick in 2023 that could become a 1st round pick if he starts over a certain percentage of snaps in 2022. That would potentially give the Jets multiple first-round picks 3 years in a row. 

54 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Do you think that this conservative approach of not wanting to make a decision too soon has - ironically - made the decision for them?  It seems that by not playing the negotiating game sooner, the window on either trading the pick OR Sam for FMV has closed, and now they are basically locked in to keeping the #2 pick - and therefore selecting a QB. Or do you think they would consider using the pick on a non-QB at this point? I personally don't think they take the TE or LT at #2.

I don't think they were ever going to stick at #2 and use it on a non-QB. I see what you're saying too, haven't really thought about that. Although in reality while people in the organization thought there would be a huge market for #2, there was really only 1 team in that market who fit the criteria the Jets were looking for and that was/is Carolina. Take them out of the equation and you don't have a buyer, meaning the Jets have 3 realistic options: (1) take less for #2---not happening; (2) take what you can get for Sam and take a QB #2; or (3) keep Sam and take a QB. I would be shocked if they went with the 3rd option but never say never. I still think trading #2 is possible, but those in the know who used to think it was likely now think it's unlikely. 

59 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

In fairness, many posters on here could have done a better job running things than the previous two GMs.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but that doesn't mean they know what is really going on behind the scenes better than people who are literally behind the scenes lol

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

The teams that might be looking to trade for Darnold are most likely looking to have him either compete for a starting job or sit behind their current starter for awhile. I don't think any of those windows have closed, as it would basically be whether they have a developmental QB on the roster or not. Or if that player is Darnold or a draft pick of their own. Their calculations haven't changed. 

Jets are either taking a QB at #2 or trading out. That hasn't changed, either. 

i didn't say the window has closed to trade Darnold. Just the window to extract FMV. Clearly other teams that were interested a month ago have moved on and made other deals.

2 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

i didn't say the window has closed to trade Darnold. Just the window to extract FMV. Clearly other teams that were interested a month ago have moved on and made other deals.

Eh, we don’t know if that is true. The Jets could’ve leaked the multiple suitors rumor. The market may have never been there or still could exist- no way of really knowing. Also dont care much about fmv for Sam. Do your due diligence as it’s too important not to and then get what you can.

• Upvote 1

Just now, David Harris said:

Eh, we don’t know if that is true. The Jets could’ve leaked the multiple suitors rumor. The market may have never been there or still could exist- no way of really knowing. Also dont care much about fmv for Sam. Do your due diligence as it’s too important not to and then get what you can.

if we're evaluating potential trades from purely a FMV and economic standpoint, it was always more likely that a darnold trade would achieve this than trying to extract a king's ranson for the 2 pick, simply b/c the jets don't want to move too far back and there's maybe 2 teams at the outset who were willing to pay up and SF already paid, leaving carolina as the only remaining suitor.

4 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

I don't think the value has changed much for any left interested, and those who moved on probably did so for reasons other than Darnold not being available, and probably weren't that serious in the first place. 

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

If the Jets keep Sam and he plays like a boss, one additional benefit will be that Adam Gase will probably never see the sideline of an NFL game again without a ticket.  I am truly leaning on the side of Gase surpassing Rich Kotite as the most inept head coach in Jets history, and that would seal the deal for me.

there were many close losses during Kotite time.  Not so with Gase.  Blowout city.  I'd say Gase was worse.

• Upvote 2

On 3/29/2021 at 12:43 PM, Averagejetsfan1421 said:

Draft wilson keep darnold and let them compete, we aren't winning anything this year, let's find our quarterback and build around him like for real this time 

Yes but only because we aren't getting squat for Sam so might as well keep him.  

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

I see it as musical chairs.  The market partially dries up when teams like SF move up and WFT signs Fitzpatrick (although that should necessarily be an end-game for any team).  But we always knew that there were chairs.  We also know there are more teams than chairs.  Let's even assume CHI is happy with Dalton (which is in question).  That leaves CAR and DEN as the most obvious players.  There are essentially two chairs remaining.  Jimmy G and Sam.  The draft is not going to help both of them.  CAR might get a crack at Jones or Lance unless DEN or someone else jumps them.  That still leaves one of them on the outside looking in.

hahaha | Funny pictures tumblr, Motivational posters, Just for laughs

That girl in the background would trade a Day 2 draft pick to be one of the girls in the picture.  

It's kind of the same thing.

I would not rule out a team like Pittsburgh or New Orleans building for the future and offering a low 2nd.  There may be a couple of surprise teams in here.  Think Carolina, Denver, and Philly are the obvious ones (trade-down in round 1 or second round pick).  But a couple of the upper echelon teams may be lurking in the shadows.

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

That day when Pitts and Chase are likely to blow the doors off their athletic testing and QB School drops a video kinda-sorta-maybe questioning your recent convert status to Wilson-ite.

jealous GIF

How you feeling now? XD

Just wow with Chase. Top slots of this draft for skill positions, especially skill positions of need for the Jets, is crazy strong. Someone is going to do something that doesn't make any sense between 3 and 7 and one of these top tier guys is going to fall to 8-9. Jets have ammo to move up from 23 and get another elite tier player and they should absolutely do it. Mid rounder + 23/Darnold or 23/34. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Even if you add a little time to adjust, that's still damn impressive. 

really damn impressive both guys probably go by pick 6.  Some combo of atl, cincy, and miami are taking them. 

If atl goes QB its going to be very interesting to see what CINCY does because all year we've heard they are obsessed with Sewell, but you have a genuine generational talent in Pitts who would be a huge help to that offense, and then you have Burrow absolutely pounding the table for Chase. 

top 10 is going to be more interesting than maybe any year i can remember. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Wow, Kelvin Joseph was already one of my top 3 DBs... this is just *chef’s kiss* 

he's been shooting up the boards for 3 months

Past Rankings Listed Out

• 3/6 - Rank 7
  • 1/9 - Rank 23
  • 12/12 - Rank 22
  • 11/14 - Rank 20
  • 10/17 - Rank 19
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, football guy said:

Not what I said. They hadn't made either Sam or the #2 pick available yet as of last week. I think that's a foolish approach personally- at some point you have to start negotiating and see what you can get before the market dries up, but that's the approach the front office has taken. 

I do think there is a slight possibility the Jets have a wink-wink agreement in place pending Wilson's physical, but if there is higher ups in the FO don't know about it, and I think that's more wishful thinking/hoping the Jets have taken a more competent approach than what they're currently doing 

I have been wondering the same especially now that the Jets can't begin OTAs until 4/19.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

Roughly 150 NFL Draft prospects will be in Indianapolis next weekend for in-person medical evaluations, per sources. A shorter list than is normally examined at the combine, but it’s expected to include all projected Round 1-3 picks, plus others flagged during virtual visits.

Albert Breer @AlbertBreer

Here’s the memo that the NFL sent to teams. Basically announces that offseason programs will start April 19–teams with new coaches won’t get the two-week head start they usually do—and references some spring on-field work coming.

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

The NFL just sent a memo to clubs, saying they should prepare to conduct meetings virtually when offseason programs begin April 19, but don’t anticipate another all-virtual workout program like 2020, per sources.

Translation: Get ready to see players on the field this spring.

Vaccines won't be mandated, but here's the incentive: "It is also anticipated that clubs that achieve a certain rate of vaccination among its tiered staff and players may be permitted to relax restrictions that apply to meetings, mealtime and use of locker rooms."

• Upvote 2