Would you do this trade?

Would you consider exchanging premium picks next year for premium talent this year? 
We know JD would like to move back up into the top 10 from #23 to acquire another big impact offensive player for Wilson to pair with. Kyle Pitts, Sewell, Ja’Marr Chase??

We know ATL wants move out of 4, How comfortable would you be giving:

ATL: #23 overall,  #66 overall(3rd Rd Pick), 2022 1st rounder (Seahawks), 2022 3rd pick.

Jets: 4th Overall

ATL’s 4th overall selection holds a weighted value of 1800. the 23rd pick is 760, the 66th is 260, = 1,020.

Seattle’s 2022 1st should be weighted around the same or possibly a bit better. (760-780 range), that puts you right at about 1780-ish, the 2022 3rd should cap off the equal value.

We wouldn’t be giving up any of our 2nd rounders this year or next, We’d be parting with one of our 1st rounders next offseason, but you’d be making the sacrifice to go get a prospect like the 3 offensive skill position players mentioned at the top, who is probably going to be better than the guy sitting at Seattle’s pick next year. 

This trade scenario is not for the weak hearted. It’s a gusty move but it’s a move to secure a huge weapon that can help right now in Wilson’s rookie season, as well as a premium talent he can grow with for years to come.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 6
  • Sympathy 1

Interesting proposal.. Any other team playoff type team and I would say yes, but this team is so devoid of talent and carrying those extra picks into next year gives the flexibility to continue and build the roster.

• Upvote 1

Not sure how we know that JD wants to come back into the top 10.   I suppose if you ask every GM would they like 2 top 10 picks they would say yes, but JD has show more of an inclination to move back.  Not trying to be cheeky but is there a report that JD is trying to get back into the top 10 after they pick at #2?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Would you consider exchanging premium picks next year for premium talent this year? 
We know JD would like to move back up into the top 10 from #23 to acquire another big impact offensive player for Wilson to pair with. Kyle Pitts, Sewell, Ja’Marr Chase??

ATL: #23 overall,  #66 overall(3rd Rd Pick), 2022 1st rounder (Seahawks), 2022 3rd pick.

ATL’s 4th overall selection holds a weighted value of 1800. the 23rd pick is 760, the 66th is 260, = 1,020.

Seattle’s 2022 1st should be weighted around the same or possibly a bit better. (760-780 range), that puts you right at about 1780-ish, the 2022 3rd should cap off the equal value.

We wouldn’t be giving up any of our 2nd rounders this year or next, We’d be parting with one of our 1st rounders next offseason, but you’d be making the sacrifice to go get a prospect like the 3 offensive skill position players mentioned at the top, who is probably going to be better than the guy sitting at Seattle’s pick next year. 

This trade scenario is not for the weak hearted. It’s a gusty move but it’s a move to secure a huge weapon that can help right now in Wilson’s rookie season, as well as a premium talent he can grow with for years to come.

I think you would have to make this trade if you are the Jets. Getting either Pitts or Chase would really make our offense go.  Then, the Jets would have no choice but to take an offensive lineman at #34, regardless of who else is on the board at that time, IMO.  

It is not an easy call, since the Jets have so many needs, but to get the best non-QB in the draft at #4 is too much to pass on with your scenario.

• Upvote 1

As sexy as Chase and Pitts are, the NFL is littered with great pass catchers from round two onward. Off the top of my head: Adams, Hill, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Thomas, Diggs, Godwin, ARob, Kelce, Kittle, Waller. Best OL at 23 and Terrace Marshall Jr. at 34 has been my dream all offseason. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Next year should be much closer to a normal NFL-college season.  Evaluating draft prospects should be cleaner.   Less a risky crapshoot like it probably will be this year with many prospects opting out from playing in 2020.  And with many college programs having scaled down their schedules both in quantity and quality.  

So next year's picks could be potentially more valuable and meaningful. 

Keep'em...por favor

8 minutes ago, Fed Hill Jet said:

Not sure how we know that JD wants to come back into the top 10.   I suppose if you ask every GM would they like 2 top 10 picks they would say yes, but JD has show more of an inclination to move back.  Not trying to be cheeky but is there a report that JD is trying to get back into the top 10 after they pick at #2?

Rumors from check marks that say he would like to. I have no way of confirming this. You’d have to ask the few posters here plugged into the Jets organization. I can say, It’s mostly just a pulley to my hypothetical scenario & to encourage conversation away from the typical topics of the last two months.  I don’t mean to be cheeky, but if you asked most posters here if they’d rather discuss this over shoulder surgery and trading the ginger, they’d probably say yes.(despite no true confirmation on JD’s preference)

Just roll with it dude. It’s a made up proposal. You don’t have to challenge it lol.

• Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Pitts looks like Calvin Johnson reincarnated, count me in 

15 minutes ago, PS17 said:

As sexy as Chase and Pitts are, the NFL is littered with great pass catchers from round two onward. Off the top of my head: Adams, Hill, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Thomas, Diggs, Godwin, ARob, Kelce, Kittle, Waller. Best OL at 23 and Terrace Marshall Jr. at 34 has been my dream all offseason. 

5 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Next year should be much closer to a normal NFL-college season.  Evaluating draft prospects should be cleaner.   Less a risky crapshoot like it probably will be this year with many prospects opting out from playing in 2020.  And with many college programs having scaled down their schedules both in quantity and quality.  

So next year's picks could be potentially more valuable and meaningful. 

Keep'em...por favor

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tempting but the Seattle pick could easily be higher than the Jets pick next year.

25 minutes ago, OMA said:

Interesting proposal.. Any other team playoff type team and I would say yes, but this team is so devoid of talent and carrying those extra picks into next year gives the flexibility to continue and build the roster.

25 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'd LOVE to somehow walk away from this draft with Wilson/Pitts or Wilson/Chase, but I just think we have too many holes to give up that much draft capital. 

Pass. 

Solid answers. It’s more of a “what if” thing for me. I’m fine with OL at 23 or 34 or however JD wants to work the draft. I’m also on record being fine with CB at 23 & OL at 34. 

Just depends what players are there when 23 & 34 are up.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Tempting but the Seattle pick could easily be higher than the Jets pick next year.

I'm thinking that as well.

That team will not be as good as they were this year, and if Wilson gets injured for any length of time...

28 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Next year's first round pick is discounted a full round and pegged half way through = 420 points.

If the trade netted us Sewell, then I make that trade and run like a thief in the night.  As for Pitts, he is an H-back or big wide receiver.  There are doubts he can play on the line.  I love Chase, but consider him a "pick em" with Pitts, Waddle and Smith.  I cannot take them at 4.  We are not a good enough team.  Sewell has both a high floor and a high ceiling and would be well worth the trade. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, slats said:

Consider me weak hearted. 

LOL. I’m not actually suggesting that we do this, mind you. I just randomly had a thought in my head yesterday of what a potential trade into the top 10 would look like for us & how would an offer look that doesn’t totally empty us out but is also fair. Just a “for fun” kind of thing.

2 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Next year's first round pick is discounted a full round and pegged half way through = 420 points.

If the trade netted us Sewell, then I make that trade and run like a thief in the night.  As for Pitts, he is an H-back or big wide receiver.  There are doubts he can play on the line.  I love Chase, but consider him a "pick em" with Pitts, Waddle and Smith.  I cannot take them at 4.  We are not a good enough team.  Sewell has both a high floor and a high ceiling and would be well worth the trade. 

Nice answer. Kudos. I had no idea that the value of future picks cut in half before they become full value for the year you use them.

makes sense though.

I mean, yes. I think Pitts is a huge pull. The offense lacks a long term answer at tight end and frankly a primary option in the passing game. He’d make a huge difference.

I have a feeling if Atlanta moves out they’ll have bigger offers for a team wanting a non-QB. If the Jets can sit and wait a little maybe they can give up a little less and get up to 7. Bet Detroit lacking a true long term answer at QB would love some draft capital.

The other piece of this is there’s what I’d ideally/realistically like them to do at 23/34 if they hang...and they’re probably not actually going to do that. Maybe they will. If they do I think it’ll still leave them a weapon short but build the team okay. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, derp said:

I have a feeling if Atlanta moves out they’ll have bigger offers for a team wanting a non-QB. If the Jets can sit and wait a little maybe they can give up a little less and get up to 7. Bet Detroit lacking a true long term answer at QB would love some draft capital.

Seen where Detroit is actually open for business with the 7th pick, so that makes even more sense in a scenario like this & requires spending a bit less draft capital as well.

56 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We aren’t a TE away from being relevant. If you can’t find a good player at #23, you shouldn’t be a GM. Good teams almost never pick in the early 20s. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

We aren’t a TE away from being relevant. If you can’t find a good player at #23, you shouldn’t be a GM. Good teams almost never pick in the early 20s. 

Nobody is saying he wouldn’t be able to acquire a good player at 23. The question is would you sacrifice future premium picks for present premium talent if the opportunity was there — the interesting part of the proposal is the decent amount of picks you would still own vs the player you would be picking.

54 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'd LOVE to somehow walk away from this draft with Wilson/Pitts or Wilson/Chase, but I just think we have too many holes to give up that much draft capital. 

Pass. 

Zach Wilson would greatly benefit from a guy like Pitts. If all else  fails throw the jump ball. That would be worth it to surrender couple picks for sure. We ain’t competing this year, make this move move and increases the chance Zach makes it back for year two. 

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

This seems like the complete opposite of what JD would do right now. Trading four picks to move up for one player? Not his style, particularly given the state of development of this roster right now. Hopefully, in a few years the Jets are one player away from going from wild card contenders to Super Bowl contenders. That’s when you make this kind of move in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

I would not mind trading the Carolina 2nd to secure one of the top OL.

I also would not mind trading a 2022 1st for a proven number 1 WR. The WR needs to be young though. If I’m trading away a future first, it has to be for young proven player like the Bills did with Diggs. This is actually preferred in my book. It is hard to find a #1 WR. I wouldn’t give up an additional 1st for a draft pick though. At the end of the day, everyone is a projection.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

This seems like the complete opposite of what JD would do right now. Trading four picks to move up for one player? Not his style, particularly given the state of development of this roster right now. Hopefully, in a few years the Jets are one player away from going from wild card contenders to Super Bowl contenders. That’s when you make this kind of move in my opinion.

Look what we have after a trade like that. Still have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd & the rest of the draft.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Its not a bad idea buddy, but 3 First rounders all approaching their 5th year option and (optimistically) looking for second contracts would be complicated. I'm more for getting more 2-4th rounders to round out the roster tbh. 

Good conversation starter, though!

• Upvote 1