Zach Wilson has officially signed

15 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Who knows.  But if Zach's team really didn't want any offset language, it's a W in JD's column imo.

Sure, definitely.

But whatever the issue and whoever made the decision,  the Jets gave the FQB what he wanted and they should have done that weeks ago.  No harm no foul at first glance, but it sends a message to the rest of the league, to college players, to agents, that the Jets are difficult at a time that we need to rehabilitate our image.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

No Sam's was slightly better. He got the bonus at signing.

Your probably right, but for what it's worth, here's where I got it. 

According to Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio, Darnold’s contract does indeed contain offset language on his future guarantees, in which case the Jets will get credit for any money he makes with another team in the event that he gets cut. Since Darnold and his representation gave in and accepted that offset language, the USC product received some other key terms in his contract.

For starters, Darnold will be paid his full $20 million signing bonus within the next 15 days — a rarity for any rookie — per Florio. All of the voiding language based on has been removed, meaning Darnold will have protection against league or team-imposed fines. He also obtained the same contract language as New York Giants first-round pick Saquon Barkley regarding a suspension for on-field rules violations.

In other words, the Jets will not be able to void Darnold’s guaranteed money if he gets suspended for lowering his helmet on a QB sneak on 4th & 1.

Darnold will also receive his training camp roster bonuses even if he winds up on the active/non-football injury when camp kicks off. This protects Darnold in the event that he, for example, breaks his arm playing football at his local YMCA like Steve Smith did in 2010 and can’t pass his physical.

Darnold’s holdout was never about money; it was about his agents ensuring that their client did not find himself being dealt the short end of the stick in the event of an unfortunate set of circumstances. It took some time, but New York’s No. 3 overall pick is now more likely to receive all of the money in his rookie contract than he was before he put pen to paper.

The Zach "PRETTY BOY" Wilson era has officially begun !  

It's gonna be a fun watch.  With Jet fan caution, I like the way the organization is shaping up.  A wise GM, mature, confident and respected HC & an exciting new QB with seemingly endless tools. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Do basically  to wrap it up Joe does what he is supposed  to do and not continue doing things terribly. All the jetnation posters who were blaming him etc look stupid. And we all as jets fans are happy because we are doing contracts correctly  woth Joe, all is well

Well done joe D

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Sure, definitely.

But whatever the issue and whoever made the decision,  the Jets gave the FQB what he wanted and they should have done that weeks ago.  No harm no foul at first glance, but it sends a message to the rest of the league, to college players, to agents, that the Jets are difficult at a time that we need to rehabilitate our image.

SAR I

I don't see it that way.  They didn't give what Zach's team was asking for.  The Jets kept the offset language. 

I see it as JD saying they'll have no part in helping agents get rid of the offset language.  Now future players will know not to let their agents pull this BS with the Jets.

Zach was dumb for letting his agent try this.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sure, definitely.

SAR I

It might tell the league that we are finally run well and coming here to die isn’t in the cards.  I’m no agent but I like that JD doesn’t give away the farm like Tanny, MAC and Dickzik.   

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sure, definitely.

SAR I

Yeah, thats not true.  What was it two or three teams that gave in on offsets?

I got to say, your doom and gloom schtick is so different than the we're going to start off 5-0 or Gase is the football man of Florham Park schtick

7 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Do basically  to wrap it up Joe does what he is supposed  to do and not continue doing things terribly. All the jetnation posters who were blaming him etc look stupid. And we all as jets fans are happy because we are doing contracts correctly  woth Joe, all is well

Well done joe D

Yes and Captain James Morgan is left on the outside looking in. 

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yes and Captain James Morgan is left on the outside looking in. 

95% probability that Morgan beats out Zack for the starting job and is QB1 on opening day.   He then goes on to a HOF career with Wilson traded to the Ottawa Rough Riders by mid-season.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

95% probability that Morgan beats out Zack for the starting job and is QB1 on opening day.   He then goes on to a HOF career with Wilson traded to the Ottawa Rough Riders by mid-season.

Does the offset language apply to non-NFL teams?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Well done joe D

Disagree.  Still a bad move.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

It might tell the league that we are finally run well and coming here to die isn’t in the cards.  I’m no agent but I like that JD doesn’t give away the farm like Tanny, MAC and Dickzik.   

They gave Zack the same thing they gave Sam.  They proved nothing other than they're good at keeping their rookie FQB's out of camp for a few days....

It's over now and I'm done talking about it but it was just stupid.  Glad he s in.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

Your probably right, but for what it's worth, here's where I got it. 

According to Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio, Darnold’s contract does indeed contain offset language on his future guarantees, in which case the Jets will get credit for any money he makes with another team in the event that he gets cut. Since Darnold and his representation gave in and accepted that offset language, the USC product received some other key terms in his contract.

For starters, Darnold will be paid his full $20 million signing bonus within the next 15 days — a rarity for any rookie — per Florio. All of the voiding language based on has been removed, meaning Darnold will have protection against league or team-imposed fines. He also obtained the same contract language as New York Giants first-round pick Saquon Barkley regarding a suspension for on-field rules violations.

In other words, the Jets will not be able to void Darnold’s guaranteed money if he gets suspended for lowering his helmet on a QB sneak on 4th & 1.

Darnold will also receive his training camp roster bonuses even if he winds up on the active/non-football injury when camp kicks off. This protects Darnold in the event that he, for example, breaks his arm playing football at his local YMCA like Steve Smith did in 2010 and can’t pass his physical.

Darnold’s holdout was never about money; it was about his agents ensuring that their client did not find himself being dealt the short end of the stick in the event of an unfortunate set of circumstances. It took some time, but New York’s No. 3 overall pick is now more likely to receive all of the money in his rookie contract than he was before he put pen to paper.

Interesting I looked it up before I posted and the article I found immediately, but I remember 15 days so probably correct.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Sounds like JD knew he'd give Zach the full bonus.  That 6mil deferment was just an opening offer so JD could say, "ok we'll give the full bonus now, but we get the offset."

That's not how that reads. It reads as if the only thing holding up the deal was the deferment not the off sets.

18 hours ago, Snook said:

Looks like Woody wouldn’t spring for the big commemorative feather pen that cheap SOB !

?

You get the pen you dress for. If Zach wanted some flamboyant feathered fountain pen he should have communicated that with his choice of clothing. Fly Guy, former Pimp of the Year, that's a guy you break out that pen for.

200.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Get we get onto real football talk now?

Like Jamal Adams looking to be paid as a pass rusher, hoping for $20 million per season.

Discuss?

Yes @King P thoughts please! 

Don't hurt me buddy ? harassment is the greatest form of affection here on JN

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Get we get onto real football talk now?

Like Jamal Adams looking to be paid as a pass rusher, hoping for $20 million per season.

Discuss?

Can you give us a few more hours to celebrate our sexy new QB being officially signed before we go back into our old ways of ex-Jet bashing?   jeez

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

They gave Zack the same thing they gave Sam.  They proved nothing other than they're good at keeping their rookie FQB's out of camp for a few days....

It's over now and I'm done talking about it but it was just stupid.  Glad he s in.

maybe…. But maybe he was asking MUCH more and JD didn’t budge.  We just don’t know.