Zach Wilson has officially signed

I believe this was all on the Johnson's wanting to make interest off the escrow and pay the bonus over a year.

It is exactly the same as what happened with Sam.

In the end though, Zach settled for slightly less than Sam. Sam got it ALL day 1, Zach gets it in 15 days. But for crying out loud, the Jets did not need to affect TC with this. It was obvious what the end result would be.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If this was really just about the timing of the bonus payment Woody is a clown.

It was. 

I have to be honest and say this holdout bothered me way more than Sam's.  Happy now. And YES I do know it was always going to get done. and I knew exactly what the compromise would be but it still pissed me off and actually ruined 2 days for me.

36 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Nobody got 'bent over'.  This is pretty much the deal that was always going to happen.  I'm actually surprised Wilson didn't get at least partial offsets as opposed to full, but maybe it was always just about the bonus timing.  In any case, it's a perfectly reasonable deal on both sides that should have gotten done a week ago or more.

I said it 2 days ago. It was always about the money. Woody caved

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Lets go!!!

The Jets will pay out his bonus in 15 days. The Jets get their offset language. 

HOW THE F DID THIS TAKE THREE MONTHS TO DO

Wow you have never negotiated anything have you.  The agent has no leverage until training camp so no real negations will start till then.  If this offer was given a month ago the agent would have rejected it and come harder on the offset, Its done now so lets just enjoy zach at camp

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Eh...this was always going to be the outcome, should have gotten done weeks ago.

But glad it's finished and can't wait to see The ZW tomorrow!

This was never going to get done prior to Lance's deal. If Lance didn't have off sets they'd still be negotiating. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Lets go!!!

The Jets will pay out his bonus in 15 days. The Jets get their offset language. 

HOW THE F DID THIS TAKE THREE MONTHS TO DO

First round picks don’t sign their deals until those pics below them are signed. It’s not like Zack’s agent said three months ago let’s get this deal done right now… He’d be a terrible agent if you didn’t wait to see what the other agents could get from their teams.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If this was really just about the timing of the bonus payment Woody is a clown.

It was, and it wasn't.

What I mean is, the Jets only used the deferred payments as a bargaining chip. They wanted to keep the offsets, like 29 other teams, but knew they needed to have a bargaining chip they could give up.

If Wilson's agent had not played hardball, this likely is signed before camp. For a guy who had no problem representing Burrow when he signed his rookie deal with offsets, they sure were important to him in this negotiation.