Jets sign QB Josh Johnson

Mobile guy with a decent arm, has been around forever. Knows the SF system, which probably was key to the Jets bringing him in.

A marginal NFL backup, but a guy with lots of camp experience who can take some reps and help out the young guys. It will be a surprise if he is still on the roster come week one.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Not really understanding this move.

If a free agent is better than what's on your roster, you sign the guy. Josh Johnson is a JAG but he has starting experience and many years of practices. If a better free agent QB shakes loose, that guy will be signed and Double J goes back to the scrap heap. I've seen footage of JJ play, and at the very least, he capable of handing off and hitting a wide open target. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Just a guy to add to the backup QB conmpetition.  Still hoping Morgan or White can outplay him and win the job. 

But if he is the best of the 3, it may say more about Morgan/White than it says about Johnson.

Since PS rules are the same this year we can leave either Morgen or White protected each week on the PS so they cannot be taken by another team and that is how we can keep one of them as a 3rd stringer without wasting a roster spot. This is assuming Johnson earns the number 2 role as an actual backup to provide some level of insight to Wilson and come in at times of game(s) if needed. Then hopefully we can use the extra roster spot on perhaps WR Smith since you just really have to keep 7 WRs on the roster, and even a few on the PS though protection there can only be done for like 2 players each week.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Did we ever make any offer to Minishew?  I recall us talking about it.   I would have loved that kid as a backup who could actually win a game.  Right now, we have "Morgana Le Fay", "The White Stripes" and this relic.  Just sounds like a cluster f*ck if Zack goes down.

They can't make an offer to Minshew.  He is under contract to the Jaguars for another two years.  They can make offer for him, but personally I am not in favor of giving up any assets beyond money for a QB.

• Upvote 3

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

They can't make an offer to Minshew.  He is under contract to the Jaguars for another two years.  They can make offer for him, but personally I am not in favor of giving up any assets beyond money for a QB.

Yeah, my bad.  I should have written if we tried to trade for Minishew.  Thanks for fixing my error, #27.

• Upvote 1

Okay so without reading all the banter let me just say this. The reason they brought in Josh Johnson is because he's been on multiple teams, he will help the young QB's acclimate themselves to NFL life in training camp.

On the other hand, they're also going to ask the young QBs, who knows the system thus far and who can help teach Josh Johnson? 

This is how you find your leaders. It's a psychology thing. It's part of coaching.

if you take Nathan Shepherd for example, the reason he is on this team is because he was already married and had children and took time off from college to join the Peace corps. Then he made it to the NFL and he's a good example of how to be a good man. He's not just here for his play.

1 minute ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Okay so without reading all the banter let me just say this. The reason they brought in Josh Johnson is because he's been on multiple teams, he will help the young QB's acclimate themselves to NFL life in training camp.

On the other hand, they're also going to ask the young QBs, who knows the system thus far and who can help teach Josh Johnson? 

This is how you find your leaders. It's a psychology thing. It's part of coaching.

if you take Nathan Shepherd for example, the reason he is on this team is because he was already married and had children and took time off from college to join the Peace corps. Then he made it to the NFL and he's a good example of how to be a good man. He's not just here for his play.

Hope it works out better than the McCown-Darnold experiment.