Jets - Packers Joint Practice Updates 8/18

Lith

15 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Is this Aaron Rodgers or Aaron Jones???????  When did using first names become acceptable for journalists???  It's not like Bien-Aime and Rodgers are going to dinner tonight to catch up on old times.  I find this very unprofessional - and annoying. And yes, I am older, but are we going to read tweets that says Steve complete to James for 12 yards with Mike in coverage.  By the way Mike was the Mike on that play.  Richard may have beaten Sam for a sack, but Matt was held in for pass protection.  We'll have to ask Robert what the play design was after practice

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I know dude but he was going up against a 2nd stringer. He looks bad today, you don't have to champion every cause. If he plays great in games bring it up then, LOL

If he doesn't need to champion every cause then the rest of the forum don't have to chicken little every cause. if he looks this bad in game then worry. LOL

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Is this Aaron Rodgers or Aaron Jones???????  When did using first names become acceptable for journalists???  It's not like Bien-Aime and Rodgers are going to dinner tonight to catch up on old times.  I find this very unprofessional - and annoying. And yes, I am older, but are we going to read tweets that says Steve complete to James for 12 yards with Mike in coverage.  By the way Mike was the Mike on that play.  Richard may have beaten Sam for a sack, but Matt was held in for pass protection.  We'll have to ask Robert what the play design was after practice

Rodgers

• Haha 1

Wow. 

havent heard anything obviously but the paranoid part of my brain is expecting Becton to get shut down for a back injury or the foot 

can’t ever remember an OT regressing like this just on technique or footwork 

I hate to even suggest it but maybe drug or personal issues?

Really strange 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Sounds like a reality check today.  One team is a veteran team coming off a 13-3 season led by a HOF QB.  Other team is young, rebounding from 2-14, with a rookie QB and installing a new system.  Should not be that surprised that GB dominated, although the reports of bad pass protection are most concerning.  That will need to get better, and fast.

I don't think anyone is expecting us to compete with GB - no one seems super concerned about them being generally better. 

The concern is over our left tackle and the implications that has for our rookie QB. Becton is getting beat around the edge, so take the "wait for AVT" takes out of this. Also Becton was getting beat like a drum when AVT was on the field. 

I don't give a sh*t if we lose every play to GB. I care if our LT is regressing and the risk that poses to Wilson. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, JazzyJet said:

Can I point something out that doesn't seem to be getting mentioned. We're running a new offensive scheme, maybe it's either a) not a great fit for Bechton or b) he needs to learn it better and get his mind around it more???

Seems odd to overreact and say he stinks all of the sudden when we already know he can be really good. So let's try to be reasonable here.

His measurements and workout numbers suggested that he’d be an excellent fit for the new scheme.  Just another reason why this is all so concerning.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JazzyJet said:

Can I point something out that doesn't seem to be getting mentioned. We're running a new offensive scheme, maybe it's either a) not a great fit for Bechton or b) he needs to learn it better and get his mind around it more???

Seems odd to overreact and say he stinks all of the sudden when we already know he can be really good. So let's try to be reasonable here.

I'd only add that they are probably not installing complex blocking schemes for the OL.  Nor putting in difficult new plays which you want to keep under wraps until the real games.  I just think, for whatever reason, Becton is getting smoked right now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

His measurements and workout numbers suggested that he’d be an excellent fit for the new scheme.  Just another reason why this is all so concerning.

I think his foot isn’t 100% and they’re not saying it.  He had plantar and sat a while and he’s probably behind in getting back to game shape.  Run blocking is ahead of the pass blocking.  Still miss brick’s natural feet.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

Louisville also ran an outside zone while he was there...

If you hear hoofbeats think horse, not zebra. In this case if you hear hoofbeats, think our franchise LT is a big fat fatty, not a scheme issue. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

I am starting to get concerned that this may be another "Jets ruin Darnold" situation for Zach.  I cannot even tell how Wilson did at practice today because of the O-line!  I was just watching a couple of earlier 2018 games for Darnold, and I was shocked - I mean he looked cool and confident.  I don't want to say cocky, but it was not the Sam I remember from last year running for his life, seeing ghosts, etc.  I think Wilson showed us in the game against the midgets whet he can do when he has time, but if he's getting 7 (SEVEN!) sacks a game, I'm afraid he will start seeing ghosts too.

9 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Does anyone have any concrete evidence that Becton is overweight?  Serious question.  Any quotes or solid reporting?  

By all accounts he showed up to training camp in good shape.  He had weight issues last year and even early in the spring, but this just another false narrative.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/28/new-york-jets-mekhi-becton-great/ 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think his foot isn’t 100% and they’re not saying it.  He had plantar and sat a while and he’s probably behind in getting back to game shape.  Run blocking is ahead of the pass blocking.  Still miss brick’s natural feet.

Even if that’s the case, sit him because 

A - Hypothetically, he isn’t healthy.

B - He’s hurting the entire offense.

C - That injury was his own fault, likely because he couldn’t keep his weight under control.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I wonder how much "LG is a problem" is contributing to Becton getting beat.  I doubt Saleh will throw Feeney under the bus in his press conference, but I am holding out some hope that plugging a better LG in will help alleviate some of the problems Becton is showing.  

Because sometimes hope is all we have.

Was just thinking the same. I remember Brick having some issues when Faneca retired and key issue was being distracted by issues on his right. With the Mullet getting owned out there it could be impacting...

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

TBecton is getting beat around the edge, so take the "wait for AVT" takes out of this. Also Becton was getting beat like a drum when AVT was on the field. 

I don’t agree with this at all. While AVT coming back is not going to be a cure all, Stuff like this matters in OL play.  If the LG spot is leaky, Becton could be cheating ever so slightly to the inside, whether instructed or just mentally himself.  It doesn’t excuse anything, but that stuff does matter.  OL play, even in pass protection, isn’t simply a bunch of 1 on 1 battles.  It’s far more nuanced then that.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Any word if any of those sacks were - Rookie QB holding the ball too long...type sacks.

Sure didn't sound like it but wondering if anyone heard anything.

Have u listened to anything from the past 3 weeks.  Becton is getting beat like a drum every single day.  He cant stay in front of anyone and these pass rushers are on top of wilson in milliseconds.

• Upvote 1