LaFleur on the Sideline vs Coaches Box

BCJet

5 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

How about LaFleur out of the building, his terrible play calling and roster management screams Adam Gase and frankly I’m over it already. How many times have we seen this same sorry show? 

Did Lafleur design four interception plays for Zach? Are you a troll? Lafleur doesn't manage the roster.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Did Lafleur design four interception plays for Zach? Are you a troll? Lafleur doesn't manage the roster.

Why why why are some opinions trolling and others not? 

Are you a troll? Because IMO Zach is a rookie and he should’ve been benched wayyyy before int 4.

You have a rookie QB in over his head talking to a rookie OC during a time of struggle, like what could the rookie OC really say?

Most agree his play calling was terrible game 1 and his play calling was terrible yesterday because he still had Wilson slinging down the field with deep passing routes after int #2.

We all cried for how the Jets mismanaged Darnold but have no problem with a rookie OC that is clearly in over his head grooming our young QB.

Smfh and I’m the troll 

48 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Why why why are some opinions trolling and others not? 

Are you a troll? Because IMO Zach is a rookie and he should’ve been benched wayyyy before int 4.

You have a rookie QB in over his head talking to a rookie OC during a time of struggle, like what could the rookie OC really say?

Most agree his play calling was terrible game 1 and his play calling was terrible yesterday because he still had Wilson slinging down the field with deep passing routes after int #2.

We all cried for how the Jets mismanaged Darnold but have no problem with a rookie OC that is clearly in over his head grooming our young QB.

Smfh and I’m the troll 

I'm still trying to figure out how LaFleur manages the roster. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

How about they just suspend LaFleur directly over the field Mission Impossible style? That way he can have a bird's eye view AND they can lower him down should Zach need a hug.

Also, every time the team loses at Met Life, they can keep LaFleur's ass suspended there so the fans can come down onto the field and beat him with sticks like a pinata.

This is the type of out-of-box thinking we need around here.  No whining, just solutions.

WarlikeInsubstantialAsianpiedstarling-max-1mb.gif

• Haha 1

i don't see how moving lafleur to the box can hurt.  he should be able to better see the whole play and how it unfolds against the defense.  cavanaugh can be on the sideline to talk directly with wilson.  he's supposed to be the qb coach so he should know when wilson is throwing off his back foot or throwing into the wrong coverage.

31 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i don't see how moving lafleur to the box can hurt.  he should be able to better see the whole play and how it unfolds against the defense.  cavanaugh can be on the sideline to talk directly with wilson.  he's supposed to be the qb coach so he should know when wilson is throwing off his back foot or throwing into the wrong coverage.

Exactly, if something isnt working, and a key employee is essentially saying he wants a change - why not try it out.   Even with ipads and still-frame pictures, its enormously different being able to see the field from upstairs vs the sideline

Im well aware that the OC cant stop the QB from throwing picks, so thanks to everyone for that part of the analysis.

10 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

With this logic...an OC is never to blame for a poor offensive performance.

Truth is, Zach was bad...but the OC absolutely could have been better.

I haven't seen nearly enough from LaFleur to make any assesement whatsoever.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Calling plays from the coaches box isn’t gonna stop Zach from making those bad throws. Lefluer has been fine. 

LeFleur was not fine. That was the worst playcalling/offensive strategy I've ever seen in a Jets game. And I'm including the Schotty years - his issues were calling plays his personnel were incapable of executing.  

First drive of the 2nd half, down 10 (that late fg doomed us .... games within the game) and we're 2nd & 28 bc of a penalty. And we have the QB who threw 3 INTs in the first half throwing 30 yards downfield? That was just one of many impatient and ridiculous decisions made.   

If you need to examine how a HOF coach does it - Belichick was happy to have Mac take sacks than throw into tight windows. We made it a very easy game for them to win.  

If I sound mad, I am. That said, we'll improve big time. We might have just had our rookie HC/OC/QB learn a season's worth of lessons in a single game.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Exactly, if something isnt working, and a key employee is essentially saying he wants a change - why not try it out.   Even with ipads and still-frame pictures, its enormously different being able to see the field from upstairs vs the sideline

Im well aware that the OC cant stop the QB from throwing picks, so thanks to everyone for that part of the analysis.

I agree.   Before this season started this topic was brought up and I felt for a rookie OC calling plays for the first time it would be more beneficial to be upstairs calling the plays.   It’s less chaotic up there and less distractions.  You have Calabrese and Cavanaugh to hold Zach’s hand between drives on sideline.  I think LaFluer has too much on his plate right now and he isn’t nearly experienced enough to handle this.  

• Upvote 2

I’m in the same boat: highly disappointed and frustrated in how this team tends to limit/handicap itself and the only saving grace is that the rookie CS/OC/QB LEARN and DONT REPEAT their mistakes the next week. 

only caveat: We’ve seen and said this before in some form or another (rookie HC or QB) and the patience and hope starts to wear thin when you recognize the familiar signs. :-( 

11 hours ago, oatmeal said:

How about LaFleur out of the building, his terrible play calling and roster management screams Adam Gase and frankly I’m over it already. How many times have we seen this same sorry show? 

I'm with you, one bad game, youre out of the building.   

A whole new offense starting this week should change things. 

And what I heard LaFleur say on One Jets Drive I think, was hes never been a coordinator he had no idea if he wanted to be in the booth or the sideline, tried the sideline and was fine with it.  

Wheres Josh McDaniels and most successful OCs?  Who talked to Brady on the bench after every series?  Nothing better than making rules based on the opposite of what we've been doing only and nothing more.  

We havent scored?  LaFleur should be in the box.  No one came up with this in the preseason of week 1.

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The guy calling plays should be upstairs, if the QB needs a guy to talk to it should be Qb coach with occasional input fro oc from the booth. imo of course

goes both ways.  Honestly for me, I preferred being on the sidelines when I've called stuff in, you just have more control and you can address things easier.  Although you do get a great picture up in the booth so theres advantages both ways.  

It helps if you are calling plays from the field that you have a great rapport with the eyes in the booth and see things the same way.  Thats the situation im in now where I am the eyes in the booth for the OC but we have designed the offense together so that we're on the same page with everything.  

27 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I agree.   Before this season started this topic was brought up and I felt for a rookie OC calling plays for the first time it would be more beneficial to be upstairs calling the plays.   It’s less chaotic up there and less distractions.  You have Calabrese and Cavanaugh to hold Zach’s hand between drives on sideline.  I think LaFluer has too much on his plate right now and he isn’t nearly experienced enough to handle this.  

i think if we didnt tragically lose knapp he would have been on the field with Zach and Lafluer in the booth..

Not to say Cavanaugh cant do it, but im sure there isnt a level of familiarity with Zach yet that perhaps Knapp had being there for all of the offseason. 

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

With this logic...an OC is never to blame for a poor offensive performance.

Truth is, Zach was bad...but the OC absolutely could have been better.

I haven't seen nearly enough from LaFleur to make any assesement whatsoever.

In this game, Zach Wilson's four interceptions derailed the game. In this game, Mike LaFleur is not to blame.