Does Mike White have a realistic chance of keeping the starting job when Zach Wilson returns?

T0mShane

Can Mike White steal the QB-of-the-future job from Zach Wilson?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Can Mike White steal the QB-of-the-future job from Zach Wilson?

1 hour ago, doitny said:

thank god for the short week. i never been happier for a TNF game. after today i need to see more White sooner then Sunday.

just thinking about how nice a week this will be reading and listening to the Media. were going to get alot of good press this week. its nice for a change.

Don't want to be happy for too long? 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

This was kinda' my point.  It's a hell of a lot easier to operate and make quick decisions when you're able to find mismatches on offense.  Griffin/Kroft/Wesco aren't overwhelming anyone.  

Re-watching now and it's crazy to see how much room some of the backs have out of the backfield because the secondary has to respect the four receivers they're working with down the field.

I haven't seen the snap counts posted yet, but there were tons of plays with Kroft and Griffin on the field at the same time.  I don't see this as a huge difference.  I have seen Wilson missing backs with tons or room all season.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets have the Colts and the Bills upcoming. If White wins them both or at least keeps the Jets competitive in these games, do you shoehorn Zach Wilson back in as the starter when he’s healthy?

Absolutely. Wilson hasn’t earned sh*t. He can sit and watch for the rest of the year. Doing him a favor. Who knows, maybe White is the guy to take this franchise out of lifelong darkness? Stick with White unless he plays like Wilson. Then go with Wilson. 

White played ok last week as well. Clearly better than Wilson and I wasn’t expecting that. Be gals have a really good D and hadn’t given up more than 25 points all season long. White put up 34 and that too after several turnovers. I have a really good feeling about him but we will revert to SOJ and White will probably turn out to be a bum after 2-3 good performances. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets have the Colts and the Bills upcoming. If White wins them both or at least keeps the Jets competitive in these games, do you shoehorn Zach Wilson back in as the starter when he’s healthy?

If White wins them?  He is the starter while Zach watches for a while. That's what any good HC would do with a struggling rookie.  But this is the Jets, so they will do the worst possible thing and throw Wilson back out there when he really needs to sit.  

But your hypothetical is conditional and I doubt the condition is met. We'll see.

2 hours ago, All Gas, No Gase said:

If Mike White continues to play well and Zach starts when he is healthy this year, I will loose any remaining confidence in the CS,

Let Zach sit and learn and then have a QB competition next preseason. 

^^^ You are correct, sir!

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

I think White has a much higher ceiling than this thread is giving him credit.  He certainly doesn't have the noodle arm some were accusing.  He is kind of a slug with his legs, but so are some of the GOAT. 

I have been saying LaFleur should move up to the booth for ages.  I thought it would just be a scapegoat idea to say they tried everything.  I guess that it actually worked.  That being said, I didn't see a huge change in the calls or personnel.  I just saw them able to run the offense.  Even Johnson seemed better able to take what he was given than Wilson.  It was nice that the success in the passing game seemed to open up the run. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

I think White has a much higher ceiling than this thread is giving him credit.  He certainly doesn't have the noodle arm some were accusing.  He is kind of a slug with his legs, but so are some of the GOAT. 

I have been saying LaFleur should move up to the booth for ages.  I thought it would just be a scapegoat idea to say they tried everything.  I guess that it actually worked.  That being said, I didn't see a huge change in the calls or personnel.  I just saw them able to run the offense.  Even Johnson seemed better able to take what he was given than Wilson.  It was nice that the success in the passing game seemed to open up the run. 

That was me accusing him of that.  I was also convinced he wasn't a legit NFL QB (maybe a #3, whatever that means).  I couldn't have been more wrong.  Tremendous game today.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That was me accusing him of that.  I was also convinced he wasn't a legit NFL QB (maybe a #3, whatever that means).  I couldn't have been more wrong.  Tremendous game today.

I think the vast majority of QBs drafted in the NFL have a higher ceiling than #3.  The issue is consistency.  White might still not be a legit NFL QB, if that was the best game he can ever play.  Wilson does have a nicer quicker release and is more athletic, but if White can string some of these together he might be something.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What will we get from white mike Thursday night?  I expect big things but you never know.  Is he a one hit wonder or does he dominate again and we roll with him moving forward?

What an exciting night coming up this Thursday.  I cant wait!

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

If he keeps playing like this it's a no-brainer.  But here's the thing.

The number one thing that jumped out to me today was the use of 4 and 5 WR sets.  Up until now it was a TON of 2 TE or 2 back sets with Wilson having 3 receivers to throw to and a couple of guys who are better suited to block.

White had opportunities today that Wilson has not yet had.  Imagine being a QB and having these two groups to choose from as your top guys on game day.  Which are you taking?

Davis, Moore, Crowder, Kroft, Griffin, Wesco

or

Davis, Moore, Crowder, Cole, Mims, Berrios, M. Carter

Even with Davis out today, one is clearly superior to the other with the QB having a chance to exploit some actual mismatches.  

Would love to see Zach with the more wide open attack and more athletic pass catchers.

This is my main problem with everyone’s hype. yesterdays offense was completely different then the offense ZW was running.  LaFleur was in the box - able to see more and make adjustments.  While I’m ecstatic that white was so great and got the w, I need to see Wilson in this type offense.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Not a tough decision imo.

Zach's ass stays glued to the bench until he proves he can run an NFL offense instead of playing hero ball.

And if Mike keeps playing anything similar to how he just played, it doesn't matter what Zach does, the job should be White's.

Hopefully Zach can sit for a season or two (or three+) and learn the game.

I feel the whole "hero ball" narrative is a bit over done to be honest. Zach's main problem (IMHO) is that he's bailing on the pocket too soon, leading to scrambles and deep passes (because of the time between snap and pass) which looks like that's what he intends. 

He needs to see what White was able to do even with pressure in the pocket. Look at the Berrios TD pass, he had guys very close but he stayed looking downfield, went through his reads and made a safe pass (either a catch or incomplete, DB wasn't getting near that one) that gave his guy a good chance at a score. And on the Kroft TD the pocket was closing from both sides but he stayed in it, made the throw and won the game for his team. These are both times where Zach would have turned away too soon, spun out of the pocket and lost sight of his targets, then scramble and hope that someone can get open for him. It'll work sometimes, but not consistently enough to be a game winning strategy.

Better pocket presence and play diagnosis is what Zach needs to develop. And he can sit on the bench for as long as he needs to develop that. He has a far higher ceiling than White, but he needs to raise his floor a lot before he gets the keys to the offense back. If he can do that he can be dangerous. In a good way. ;-)  

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Richard Todd should never have gotten his job back from Matt Robinson…

White earned an extended look today.  He should start at least through the Eagles game.

Inexperienced QBs have bad games.  He showed enough that the Jets have to let him play beyond a bad game or two when defenses make adjustments.

He may have just pulled a Nick Foles.  Or, the kid has something special…

Must find out.

That said, I am still a big believer in Zach Wilson.

Matt Robinson destroyed his thumb while thumb wrestling with a team mate.  He didn’t tell the HC and proceeded to suck.  He absolutely deserved to lose his job.  

Agree with the rest.  We need to find out if we had Brady or Warner sitting on the bench or we just played a team who was ripe for the slaughter and didn’t have any game tape and just pissed themselves.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Only way that happens is if White has big games against Indy and Buffalo.

White played a damn good game today (I assume, I didn’t watch), but would it really surprise anyone if he comes out and plays like a 3rd stringer against Indy on Thursday?

Even Geno managed to look like Montana today.

These dudes are in the NFL for a reason. Damn near any QB is capable of a game like this once in a blue moon.

It’s the consistency that separates franchise QB’s from backups.

Great post. It's one thing to do it when the opponent doesn't know what is coming. If you can keep doing it, at a high level, when they do know, then you keep the job. 

All credit due to Mike - he got a chance and played out of his skin. Exactly what you want from a backup QB. And he's had an experience that he'll never forget, nor will the league ... he's on that very short "QBs that threw for 400+ on their first start" list.  Now let's see if he can play another strong game, and another. He will fall at some point - everyone does. But when he does, does he get back up the next game?

8 hours ago, slimjasi said:

All depends on what we mean by “ok” - but sure 

I actually thought Wilson may have been starting to see the field better in the NE game before he got hurt 

I felt he was making steps too - but he was also overreacting to pressure to much (IMHO) and escaping the pocket too soon. Whether he didn't read the defense pre-snap or whether he just has too little faith in the blocking, I don't know. But he needs to address that to come back stronger. If he could do the quick read and short stuff that White did, PLUS have the deep strike he has shown so far - he'll be a winner. But sorting out that short stuff is not a given.

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He also has held the clipboard for a few years so he wasn't rushed into this. 

Key statement... Very few QB's have ever walked onto the field in their first season as a rookie, and performed like a Tom Brady (dare I say his name). The kid will be alright, but at this time, I believe even if Mike White doesn't light it up like he did yesterday, ZW needs to hold the clipboard for awhile.

Here's my thought process on this, and that is if I'm ZW, I go into LaFleur's office and ask him if he can get the tape of that game, and study the hell out of it. Ask questions, and study it more. From what we've heard he is that type of film junkie. Well if that's the case, this should motivate this kid to say to himself, what do I need to do to have that type of performance. Once he can get a few of those games under his belt, then he can start opening up the flash.

It will be week to week. once Zach is healthy.

You figure White will be the QB Thrusday against Indy, Buffalo the following week, and my guess is he will be there for Miami.  After that ? 

If White is playing well and the offense looks like an NFL offense then my guess is that he will continue.

When was the last time a Jets QB threw for 400 yards and 3 TD's?  I cant remember either.  Hell yes White should have a realistic shot at winning the job, **** that, it should be his job after that performance.  The offense has clearly and obviously operated better since he's been behind center.  Bottom line.  He gives everyone a chance to make on schedule plays.  The stuff they practice day in day out.  Everything is better, OL, RB's, TE's, WR's....everything.   He gives them a chance to be the best version of themselves and unfortunately, Zach Wilson just simply cant. He's out there playing flag Football while Mike White is out there playing NFL ball and operating at a high level.

Everyone is all, look at the game plan!  He changed it!!!  A little, sure but he also called a ton of the same looks and White just made the routine stuff, Zach simply cant.  Well what does that say about Zach Wilson if LaFleur had to hold back his game planning/calling for Wilson but could open it up for White? It says White is better, period.  He plays, draft pick be damned.  I dont care if Wilson can throw a side arm 90 mph fastball, that clearly doesnt win you Football games.  Precision does.  And Wilson is far from it, and White seems to have it in spades.   

Wilson is the worst QB in the NFL and you just had that type of performance vs. a damn good team and you want to go back to the worst?  **** no. Give him the year.  Zach can wait.  What's the downside?  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Start White until he's ineffective 

Then bring back Zach fully healed and having a chance to learn on the sidelines 

I don't view White as a long term solution....but keep him out there if it means Wilson gets to heal without being rushed back and he gets the opportunity to sit and learn, like he should have did to start the season. 

• Upvote 3

Mike White played great and I hope he keeps it up. But now that he’s put a full game on tape, I expect the colts to tailor their D to take the RBs out of the passing game and/or do other things t take away what White does best. In the NFL success means you continue to beat Ds after you’ve given them enough tape to gameplan against your strengths.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Pichula said:

No just not delusional 

Dude, you have had your head so far us Wilson's ass, you can tell us what he had for breakfast  this morning. 

A lot of peeps think I  am Wilson hater. What I hate is how he plays. If he played like White, I would love him. I want to see the Jets play good football, I don't  care who the QB is and I can wait until next season for Zack to play. He sits the rest of the year or until we know this game was an albatross and he actually  sucks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

It would be so Jets for Mike White to play pretty well all through the season and to have Jets fans thinking he can be a long term starter. Woody Johnson vetoes a new contract in the summer as he prefers his so prized and so marketable investment and White walks for nothing.

Zach becomes Charlie Frye and Mike White becomes Drew Brees.

Jets football. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Dude, you have had your head so far us Wilson's ass, you can tell us what he had for breakfast  this morning. 

A lot of peeps think I  am Wilson hater. What I hate is how he plays. If he played like White, I would love him. I want to see the Jets play good football, I don't  care who the QB is and I can wait until next season for Zack to play. He sits the rest of the year or until we know this game was an albatross and he actually  sucks. 

I have my heads up no one ass (expect maybe your moms). Wilson is the #2 overall pick and is very talented. I want to see him develop and am not ready to throw him in the trash after 5 games. You are the only hater here. 

• Thumb Down 1