The Mike White's...err, NY Jets vs the Buffalo Bills ## Official Game Thread ##

Maxman

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Jets QBs are just not protected.  Darnold was slammed two years ago Wilson was cheap shot and now White this isn't a COINCIDENCE it pattern that must be addressed!

There have been plays where the refs blew whistles BEFORE Tom Brady was hit and that helps you win or lose!

Not just Jets QBs, too.

I saw Justin Fields took a few bad hits against the Steelers, and nada.

True parity will never exist in this league with inconsistent refereeing like this.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't know, I don't recall as many completely lopsided blowouts in as short a period of time as we've seen this year.  

That doesn’t prove one GM better than the other.

Reality is, look at drafting record of Mac - hit rate was abysmal - and Joe hadn’t been much better.

This teams composition goes back a decade - it’s a reflection of pure incompetence by both.

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

That doesn’t prove one GM better than the other.

Reality is, look at drafting record of Mac - hit rate was abysmal - and Joe hadn’t been much better.

This teams composition goes back a decade - it’s a reflection of pure incompetence by both.

I'm not trying to make one out to be good and one out to be bad.  They both suck, best as I can tell so far.....

I'm coming around to hate the "patience for patience sake" mentality.   Patience is wise, if there is some basis for why we should be patient.  Do we have a basis here?   

From what I've seen so far, you could give JD and Saleh 100 years and a dozen #1 overall picks to find a QB and they'll never compete.  So it begs the question as to why give them anything after this year?

If someone wants to make an argument that they see signs of great coaches or general, er, managing, in the work of JD and Saleh so far, great, have at it.

If not, just like QB's, why waste multiple years on someone we see no successful future from?  Are we supposed to believe there is a real plan here at work? 

All I see right now is incompetence and a franchise that gets people laughed at if you wear their gear publicly outside of NY.

(Caveat:  I'm well aware our owner isn't firing JD or Saleh this year, or next year, or likely even the year after that, no matter how bad we are.  I get it).

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

We should change coaches every year. And GM’s every other year. 

Been proven again and again to be THE blueprint for sustained NFL success. 

Counterargument:  How many years would we have had to wait till Gase and Macc would have produced a Super Bowl quality team?

Patience is only a virtue if you hired the right guy(s) worth of that patience, and showing immediate signs of skill and improvement.

Are you saying you think Saleh and JD are, in fact, the right guys?

If not....what are we being patient for exactly?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Counterargument:  How many years would we have had to wait till Gase and Macc would have produced a Super Bowl quality team?

Patience is only a virtue if you hired the right guy(s) worth of that patience, and showing immediate signs of skill and improvement.

Counter-counter argument:

I have no idea whether they are the right guys or not. Neither do you. Nobody does. 

Not going to gnash my teeth about it. 

Having said that, franchises with extended success don’t fire their coach every year. Or their GM every 2-3 years. 

Who knows. Maybe it’s where the NFL is going. 

• WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Counter-counter argument:

I have no idea whether they are the right guys or not. Neither do you. Nobody does. 

Correct.  We only know what we've seen.

Uncompetitive.  Regularly blown out by huge margins. Worst Defense in he NFL.  Close to the worst Offense in the NFL. 

Playing completely passion-less uninspired football, a team that doesn't look like it belongs in this league.

Not going to gnash my teeth about it. 

Having said that, franchises with extended success don’t fire their coach every year. Or their GM every 2-3 years. 

Who knows. Maybe it’s where the NFL is going. 

Franchises that don't fire their coaches believe those coaches will be successful.  Same for GM's.

So I'll ask, what have you seen that makes you think JD and Saleh will eventually be successful?

If you can't answer that, ask yourself why you'd say you "don't know" the future of a GM and Coach you can't even cite some reasons to be positive about.....

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Uncompetitive.  Regularly blown out by huge margins. Worst Defense in he NFL.  Close to the worst Offense in the NFL. 

Playing completely passion-less uninspired football, a team that doesn't look like it belongs in this league.

Franchises that don't fire their coaches believe those coaches will be successful.  Same for GM's.

So I'll ask, what have you seen that makes you think JD and Saleh will eventually be successful?

If you can't answer that, ask yourself why you'd say you "don't know" the future of a GM and Coach you can't even cite some reasons to be positive about.....

I’m an eternal optimist. 

Going through life as a miserable ole curmudgeon is unhealthy. Must suck.  

In addition, nobody has any control over anything that happens to our beloved franchise so again gnashing my teeth does nothing for my team or my mental health. 

But you keep complaining. You do you. 

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

Not just Jets QBs, too.

I saw Justin Fields took a few bad hits against the Steelers, and nada.

True parity will never exist in this league with inconsistent refereeing like this.

I absolutely think it is an issue throughout the league that rookie and journeymen QBs don't get the calls that established vets get.  Roughing the passer and DPI.  They get way more benefit of the doubt.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I’m an eternal optimist. 

Going through life as a miserable ole curmudgeon is unhealthy. Must suck.  

Being unhappy with the Jets being blown out doesn't make one a "miserable ole curmudgeon", lol.

Anyway, I don't know, being a willingly oblivious person who actually thinks only good things will happen in the future, THAT must be terribly disappointing when confronted by the actual real world on a a day to day basis. 

I much prefer being a realist myself.  

But as you say, "you do you".  /shrug.

(P.S. Don't think I didn't notice that you were incapable of naming even a single reason for positivity for JD and Saleh.)

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I absolutely think it is an issue throughout the league that rookie and journeymen QBs don't get the calls that established vets get.  Roughing the passer and DPI.  They get way more benefit of the doubt.

I think it goes deeper than that.  I think it extends to the team.  Seems like every time the jets return the opening kickoff there’s a penalty.  It’s as if the refs are saying “you’re going to have to beat us too in addition to Indy, buffalo, etc”. 

Just now, Warfish said:

Being unhappy with the Jets being blown out doesn't make one a "miserable ole curmudgeon", lol.

Anyway, I don't know, being a willingly oblivious person who actually thinks only good things will happen in the future, THAT must be terribly disappointing when confronted by the actual real world on a a day to day basis. 

I much prefer being a realist myself.  

But as you say, "you do you".  /shrug.

Yeah I’m happy. You, likely not. Must suck going through life like that.  

But I love the patented obligatory /shrug. So awesome. 

/shrug. 

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

the fact we gave that turd JFM an extension that makes him one of the jets top paid players is reaosn enough to fire joe douglas imo

LOL i dont think he's a turd, but i think hes a solid player, starter or rotational guy I'm not sure, but he certainly not a $12-13 mil a year DE

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Honest question, do you enjoy the idea of watching three years of what we saw today?  

And what, based on what you've seen so far, makes you think we won't be exactly where we are today three years from now, just like Gase?

I'd counterargue:  Money solves all problems with non-cap positions.  Want a Vet Coach or GM?  Pay him.  He'll come.

I have watched about 5 games in the last two years.  No point.  And I expected this team to be VERY bad until about 2022.  If the team isn't to .500 by then, JD's collar will be red hot.  But he gets three drafts.  Cut and dry.

I like the fact that this offense has shown life the past three games.  I think a true #1, a couple of solid TE's and a bit of work on the line and we can compete.  The defence needs help.  Well, everyone wanted us to go offense in the drafts, and we have.  Over the last two years, in our first three rounds we have used 5/6 on offense.  But the defense needs secondary help everywhere, a true OLB who can get to the QB, and a DE who can get to the QB.  

Woody won't throw enough money to get someone here.  He would have to almost pay double.  It ain't happening, so enjoy changing coaching staffs every three years until you find the right one. But each should get three years minimum.

• Upvote 2

I don’t have an opinion on Saleh but I am willing to see what JD can do next year. We should have 4 picks in the top 45 next year. I am want to see who he picks, because the plan is a sound one. Just haven’t seen the fruits yet. But I only expected 5 wins this year with the defense getting the crap beaten out of them weekly. So far that is what is happening.

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

For me…I think JD has shown me enough to get another year. He sucked his first draft, but I like his second one. He sucks at free agency. So sort of average rating thus far. I need a 3rd year to see where this next draft goes and I need to see if he gets better at free agency. If not, I’m out on him the following year. 
Saleh? Tough to tell. I think the defense has a bunch of nobodies and wildly inexperienced right now. It’s a tough ask for a first year coach. But willing to give him a second year to make his adjustments to the staff and to the roster. 

3 hours ago, Jetpain said:

With all due respect, BS.   Josh Allen and Diggs need more reps today ? 

All 3 teams that that people are upset about have had issues. The Bills offense scored 6 points last week so they almost certainly feel they did need them. The Patriots have a rookie QB and are competing for the division. Indianapolis has been a disappointment all year and has been struggling to get their offense in sync. 

So, yeah, they're gonna take the chance when they are clicking to try to keep that going. What's BS is most of the people complaining were just last week saying, "If you don't like it, stop them" about other teams having the score run up on them, but today when their own feefees get hurt, they just start calling everything BS. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, doitny said:

ask Rachael Ray to cook you spaghetti and tomato sauce with only Chinese noodles and ketchup. it will suck too.

Mods please ban anyone we says we need to draft Centers and Guard with out 1st 4 picks.. this defense is 10 times worst than the OL which has played well enough. we need some young high defense draft picks

From the man who upvotes every thread that says draft OL, OL, OL lol...  Dude, I know the defense is bad, but it's got the most youth on it. It was always going to be bad this year. We picked a QB #2. The most important thing that needs to happen for this team is to have a top 5 OL and protect our QB. We need a new Center and RG in next year's draft and/or FA... PERIOD. The rest will follow.

• Upvote 1

1. Its tough to make big conclusions when you play the Bills.  They are a top 6 NFL team.  Now, we can argue that 4 years ago they and the Jets started in about the same place.  But the Pegulas got smart and the Johnsons did not.  But let’s see how the Jets play against other dysfunctional teams like the Texans, Eagles and Dolphins.
  2. I am not wasting the energy talking about firing JD and Saleh after this year.  I think they get at least through next year.  If things look bad Saleh could get the hook early because he is tied with JD.  That would be 3 full years for JD-that is enough.  JD had a meh/ick 2020 draft and a decent 2021 draft.  I do think that the average weight of his 2021 draft was too low-he should have been looking at the trenches more.   
  3. I think in the end the LB/S play has sunk the Jets 2021 defense.  Too many injuries, and the plan to draft safeties to become LBs did not work in 2021.  It could work later.  
  4. Other players are not always better.  The Jets have some decent players.  They need to pay some of them and we need to draft better.  The JD play is all about the draft.   He is a coin flip on that. 

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

From the man who upvotes every thread that says draft OL, OL, OL lol...  Dude, I know the defense is bad, but it's got the most youth on it. It was always going to be bad this year. We picked a QB #2. The most important thing that needs to happen for this team is to have a top 5 OL and protect our QB. We need a new Center and RG in next year's draft and/or FA... PERIOD. The rest will follow.

i think you got me mistaken with someone else. i have been saying drafting defense since the beginning of the year. 

i could keep going back but i think you get the point.

yeah the secondary is young, but the front 7 just aint doing it. 

we need an Edge. im not counting on Lawson being good. if he is then we got 2 Edge for another 2 years. we need 2 LBs cause Davis is gone after the year and Mosley after next. then maybe a safety. after you spend the first 4 picks on defense you can get whoever you want for the OL.

your lucky if 3 teams have used 3 first rd picks on there line. and maybe one is a good team. our best OL in 2009 had 2 drafted 1st rd picks, 2FAs and a UDFA. 

the OL hasnt been a problem since week 2. the sacks have gone done alot, the pressures, run blocking is better. and its not White. they did it under Wilson too.

does a center or guard win us more games this year? well a better defense wins the Atlanta and Indy games.

• Thumb Down 1

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yes Gase on books through 2022. Woody not paying three HCs same time unless Saleh gets caught on video committing a crime

B/c you don't think that what the Jets fans are subject too isn't crime enough?  What else does he need to do.. Set the mascot on fire?

• Haha 2