Mac Jones should be why JD is fired yesterday

Facts

11 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Things we said over 20 years ago about Tom Brady for $500, Alex.

You can't revise history and act like everyone wanted Mac Jones to be drafted second overall literally no one wanted to do that just like no one was screaming to draft Tom Brady...there's plenty of sh*tty decisions Douglas has made let's not start inventing them.

18 minutes ago, undertow said:

You can't revise history and act like everyone wanted Mac Jones to be drafted second overall literally no one wanted to do that just like no one was screaming to draft Tom Brady...there's plenty of sh*tty decisions Douglas has made let's not start inventing them.

I never mentioned JD, the OP did.

A lot of people thought Jones could’ve/should’ve been the 49ers pick.

I thought Fields was the 2nd best QB in the draft after Lawrence and Jones was #3, but I also thought Jones made more sense for SF than Lance did at that spot.

I’ll also admit even though I thought Jones would be good, I never thought he’d be this good.
I have no problem admitting any of that, but rather than finding ways to diminish what he’s done, I’m here giving him the credit he deserves.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Hahahahahahaaaaaaa Mac Jones would be worse than James Morgan on this team. 

Imagine any GM picking Jones number 2. 

Oh wait, trade back to the perfect spot to get him. 

Stop.

If we’re going by “who would look good on this team” as the criteria (I know you’re exaggerating with James Morgan but I get your point), who could argue?

The sad thing is, I think we could say the same about Allen, Jackson, Burrow, Herbert, and even Mahomes. We are THAT bad.

It’s the only defense I can think of for what I’ve seen from Zach so far. No QB would look good on this team.

Jones is on a decent team though, so I think we can judge him, and to not give him credit for how he’s played is just being stubborn IMO.

29 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

If we’re going by “who would look good on this team” as the criteria (I know you’re exaggerating with James Morgan but I get your point), who could argue?

The sad thing is, I think we could say the same about Allen, Jackson, Burrow, Herbert, and even Mahomes. We are THAT bad.

It’s the only defense I can think of for what I’ve seen from Zach so far. No QB would look good on this team.

Jones is on a decent team though, so I think we can judge him, and to not give him credit for how he’s played is just being stubborn IMO.

I’ll give him all the credit I’m the world. On that team he could be an outstanding game manager and win a LOT.

He’s not a star QB. Taking him 2 would have been gross negligence. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Yeah ok.  What exactly is inaccurate with what I said?  If you want to anoint a rookie QB after 10 games be my guest - sorry if I’m not going to join your pity party.

but this is what this place does. anoint people on a weekly basis.

we anoint White the heir apparent to Joe Namath after one game. declare the whole 21 draft class busts after 2 weeks. 

if MAC throws 4 INTs next week and Justin Fields throws 4 TDs there will be "fire JD cause he didn't draft Fields " threads..

its exhausting 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

This is all hindsight and it’s still way too early.

Not hindsight for some of us.

But yes, it is still early.  

Of course, we'll still be hearing the "too early" excuse two years from now, if history is any indication.....it was "too early" to judge Sam for some folks right up to the day he was traded.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The majority of this fanbase would’ve been beyond pissed if we took Jones over any of Wilson, Fields or Lance.

This is all hindsight and it’s still way too early.

Jones has been hands down the most NFL ready of these rookie QB’s but I still think his upside is relatively limited.

Hindsight is now used as righteous justification. Filled with indignation. 

Every Mock Draft I did included Mac Jones I wanted the Jets to draft him but when it became obvious what direction they were going I felt maybe Zach could be the more exciting QB . Still remains to be seen but as of right now Mac Jones is proving to be a pretty damn good QB

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hael said:

Jones looks like a 35 year old QB who's athletic days are well behind him, and who eats too many Taco Bells, but who knows the game of football.  Pretty much one of the most bizarre rookies anyone will ever find.  You just can't make this up.

But yea, unfortunately he's pretty good.  Not top ten QB good, but good enough that its going to be a problem for us for a long time...

You act like the pocket passer is dead when in fact all pocket passers do is win SB's or get to SB's . That being said you don't have to be fast or an elite athlete to move well in the pocket and have pocket awareness. Which are much better attributes to have than running or scrambling out of the pocket 

42 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Mac Jones has been, by far, the best rookie QB so far this year. That being said, I still want to see him beat a good defense in a big spot to see if he can overcome his physical limitations. 

Remember Brady's Physical Limitations ? Its this mindset that's ruining the NFL how many pocket passers don't even get drafted cause you know Athlete !!!! The wonderful lamar jackson just lights it up with athletic ability that is until the playoffs roll around and he's throwing for 79 yards

• Upvote 1

Mac Jones played for Alabama. He got the closest to NFL-level play in college. This doesn't mean that down the road he will be the best, it means that he will start off the best. This was expected by most, from what I saw. Teams didn't want to invest in a player who would be better than the others for the first 2 years only to get lapped.

That said, Mac Jones is one thing that none of the other players have been: Reliable. He can be trusted to make a few plays when he has to. He can lead his team to wins. He has a higher floor than players like Justin Fields and Zach Wilson. But he also has a lower ceiling. Players like Zach Wilson have the potential to soar out into the sky and be a top QB. But they also have the potential to play like a practice squad QB, and you never know what you're going to get. 

The Pats knew exactly what they were getting when they picked Mac Jones. They knew they were getting a reliable QB who could win games for them immediately. There was no time for development. This is why Mac is playing better.

I love when people say they don't want to hear that Jones has had a good year because he is on the Pats, surrounded by a good system and good football people. It's 100% true. If Jones was on the Jets he would look like crap and be 2-7. Oh, and it's only 9 games so I wouldn't get the HOF jacket ready yet. 

• WTF? 1

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

Not hindsight for some of us.

But yes, it is still early.  

Of course, we'll still be hearing the "too early" excuse two years from now, if history is any indication.....it was "too early" to judge Sam for some folks right up to the day he was traded.

You must’ve missed the Darnold victory laps first part of this year. Darnold defenders will never admit they were wrong. They just go into hibernation and wait for a non-laughable performance to emerge refreshed. I was called a hater and worse by stating there were even odds Baker Mayfield won more games his first 3 years than Darnold will for his entire career. Darnold needs 6 more wins to push.

Sanchez had 4 wins after leaving the Jets.

Geno 1.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Facts said:

Every time I watch Mac Jones I get infuriated. The kid is good. No qualifiers. No “well he’s on the Patriots”. He’s just good.

He has garbage at WR and TE and he’s still good. He gets the ball out quick. He makes his line look better than they are.

JD is not only like 5-70 (hyperbole) as a GM, but to whiff so badly on the #2 pick and then to watch your nemesis take a franchise QB 13 picks after you should be a fireable offense.

Im not saying Zach can’t be good or won’t be good. But Mac is ALREADY good.

FIRE JD.

@Barry McCockinner did we just find the “look at his pace” guy?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

I like Mac Jones, and I would have been ok if he were drafted here. The way he led Bama last year was a thing of beauty.

That said, Mac Jones isn't going to be the Mac Jones here that he is in NE plain and simple. He went to the most perfect of systems for him.

I'll just say this. The 49er's did NE a favor.

^^ This

I was surprised he fell as far as he did.  Whenever I turned on his college tape, I saw accurate balls hitting receivers in stride.  Almost anyone could see that he was probably the most NFL ready of the QB's.  He's going to be good for a long time.

All that being said, I think once Zach gets back and 100% we're going to see a completely different QB.  The OL is playing better and Moore and Carter have shown that they can be special.  I'm excited to see what happens when Zach is back in the huddle.

The defense is hot garbage, but if our O can at least start to keep up so there's some glimmer of hope past mid way through the third quarter I'm happy.  Then we'll go on to win another offseason championship, right boys!?

LOL. This place is absolutely delusional. Mac Jones is playing well. He isn't being propped up by a great team. The Jets line has outplayed the Patriots and we have better weapons at WR. God damn this place spent all summer ripping on the Pats for overspending on mediocrity in free agency and now Jones is just being carried? Did anyone watch the Pats last season?

He has been very good as an individual and has elevated the Patriots offence. The level of denial on here is just hilarious. If Wilson was playing this way there'd be gold jackets being measured up. This is the exact same nonsense that was said about Darnold and Lamar Jackson. "If Lamar was here he'd be *insert sub standard African American QB here* derp"

The Jets and Jaguars line are outplaying the Patriots' - The difference is their QB has been excellent at going through progressions, stepping up in the pocket and getting the ball out on time. His WR's grade out as bottom 5 in most analytic scores. He's got better TE's and that's about the height of it. Yes he has better coaching but we seen last year what that was worth by itself. He's pretty much already shown that he'll at the very least be a Chad Pennington level player, which is only the best Jets QB in 60 odd years. 

• Upvote 2