WR, OL, OL, OL. First 4 picks.

GandWFan

Just now, GandWFan said:

Title says it all.  We will do nothing if we can't control the LOS on offense.  Defense played pretty good today, considering, but OK and offensive weapons were a joke.  Go best WR, then OT, OG, and C.  Edge can wait.  Or FA.

We dont need that many olineman.  Take Neal at 4, then take Jamesoon Williams at 10.

Then in round 2 take Mcbride the tight end and Isaiah Spiller the rb.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

Title says it all.  We will do nothing if we can't control the LOS on offense.  Defense played pretty good today, considering, but OL and offensive weapons were a joke.  Go best WR, then OT, OG, and C.  Edge can wait.  Or FA.

We need Edge pretty bad

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Weapons don't matter if Zach has free runners every play.  Can't play QB from your back.  Last time we were good we had a great OL.  Now we have dog sh*t.  Lawson will be back next year for edge.  We need another tackle since Becton can't stay on the field and can't block when he is.  We also need a Center, and a RT.  Out best draft in the past 2 decades we took Brick and Mangold in the 1st.  Worked out pretty good.  Since then, up until JD,  we have drafted a bunch of bums in the back of the draft.  How is that working out?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

The defense gave up 500 points for the first time in team history and you want to add another WR to Moore, Davis and Berrios as your top priority while drafting four offensive linemen to fill 1 or 2 spots?  Cool.

I imagine it's hyperbole after a game where our QB literally had no time in the pocket.  But I'd gladly have another subpar defense next year if in the end we end up with a top 10 offense for the next 4-5 years.  You can win a lot of games with a great offense and subpar defense.  Especially when you consider that getting top shelf offensive talent is probably going to end up being more difficult than getting some good role players on defense in FA.

I'd rather watch 30-38 losses if it means we get plenty of 30-28 wins along the way.  The defense will improve as the young core goes on to years 2 and 3 in the system.  It's also not like they are going to completely ignore defense in FA and the draft.

• Upvote 3

f Connor McDeremott were our starting LT going into next season, and if Dan Feeney were our starting C going into next season, then I would get the OL, OL, OL sentiment.  But they are not, so I don't.

A lot can change between now and April, but the top 10 sure looks to be skewed toward defense.  And our defense sucked.  Hutch, Thibs, Karlaftis, Ojabo, Hamilton, Dean, Lloyd, Gardner would all be good fits for this defense, and all except Hutch and Thibs are likely to be available to us.  We desperately need to add playmakers on both sides of the ball, but if most of the talent in this draft is on D, then draft from the strength of the draft.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

f Connor McDeremott were our starting LT going into next season, and if Dan Feeney were our starting C going into next season, then I would get the OL, OL, OL sentiment.  But they are not, so I don't.
A lot can change between now and April, but the top 10 sure looks to be skewed toward defense.  And our defense sucked.  Hutch, Thibs, Karlaftis, Ojabo, Hamilton, Dean, Lloyd, Gardner would all be good fits for this defense, and all except Hutch and Thibs are likely to be available to us.  We desperately need to add playmakers on both sides of the ball, but if most of the talent in this draft is on D, then draft from the strength of the draft.  

Year after year after year we draft defense. You can’t win with defense.

We need play makers on offense

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Do we? Or do we need to be stouter up the middle and better at covering TEs? Way I see it until we can stop the run and have linebackers that can cover EDGE won't do fuuckk all.

Bringing in an Edge allows us to move JFM back inside where he belongs. Pressure will help the secondary as well. LB is a massive need but part of me wonders how many resources they put there while still having CJ for next year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GandWFan said:

Title says it all.  We will do nothing if we can't control the LOS on offense.  Defense played pretty good today, considering, but OL and offensive weapons were a joke.  Go best WR, then OT, OG, and C.  Edge can wait.  Or FA.

No, if an edge you want there is available at 4, then take them in this draft....or take the best WR.  Then take Lindebaum at 7 if you don't trade back and move McGovern to RG.  Round 2? take the best available players.

1 hour ago, GandWFan said:

All year the D hasn't  been able to stop water running down hill, now the last game of the year we are ok. They gave up 2 late 4th qrt TD's today. They still suck. I woukd ve fine going D with all 4 picks. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Do we? Or do we need to be stouter up the middle and better at covering TEs? Way I see it until we can stop the run and have linebackers that can cover EDGE won't do fuuckk all.

Of course we do. Pressuring the QB is something we have to do better.

We need LBs too, dont get me wrong.

• Upvote 1

Except it is not true that we just draft defense.

Last three years. 10 day 1 - 2 picks. 6 offense, 4 defense:

Wilson
AVT
Moore
Becton
Mims
Edoga

Davis
Zuniga
Polite
Williams

5 more 4th rounders in the same three years, all offense: Carter, Clark, Perine, Morgan, Wesco.

We need talent everywhere. Pick the best players at positions of need. If the talent in this draft is on defense, draft defense.
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

You guys are setting yourself up for a world of disappointment if you think we are taking OL with either top ten pick.

The ONLY scenario that makes sense if one of those picks is traded into the 20's and Linderbaum is still there.  

Even then.....

I’m 95% scar tissue. I can handle the disappointment. 

and i thought the guys who wanted one OL in the 1st 4 picks was crazy. but you want 3. smh.

did you even watch this season? the OL has been our best position.

today i saw a backup LT give up 2 maybe 3 sacks while replacing a guy (Fant) who gave up one all year.

please tell me how these top OL you guys want to draft stop free runners? 

how many sacks do you think are on our PS WRs who couldn't get open? what OL in the draft is going to help with that? 

drafting OL in the 1st rd is a waste of draft capital. why? cause you can beat the best OL. you can scheme around it. send free running CBs and Safetys. get coverage sacks.

the best way to protect your QB is to get him WRs and TEs who make you think twice to blitz cause you would have to cover them one on one and they would beat you. 

in this draft our defense is bad and we need to get one of those Edge rushers and then i would stay and get the best WR in this draft. or LB...or CB.... or whoever... anybody but an OL.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, GandWFan said:

Weapons don't matter if Zach has free runners every play.  Can't play QB from your back.  Last time we were good we had a great OL.  Now we have dog sh*t.  Lawson will be back next year for edge.  We need another tackle since Becton can't stay on the field and can't block when he is.  We also need a Center, and a RT.  Out best draft in the past 2 decades we took Brick and Mangold in the 1st.  Worked out pretty good.  Since then, up until JD,  we have drafted a bunch of bums in the back of the draft.  How is that working out?

That draft propped us up for along time. line man times three is not a terrible idea as some would have you believe. Now just two would be find with me. With   WR and edge and coupe CBs mixed in

There's free agency before the draft.  There are numerous holes to fill on this team and free agency should fill some.  I think it is better to draft players and not positions.  If Hutchinson and Thibideaux go before 4, is the 3rd edge player worth the #4 pick?  I'm not sold on Karlaftis being a difference maker.  It's too early to target positions.  You always let a draft come to you (or trade up so that you get what you wan) It makes no sense to target positions with each pick on January 10.  Some position should be avoided in the first two rounds though.  No RBs and no CBs please.  The offensive and defensive systems the Jets run do not place a high value on either position (neither does the entire NFL when it comes to RB).  And no interior DL either.  Anything else depends on the players and who is signed in free agency.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, funaz said:

You can win with defense, I agree we need actual playmakers, so you can win a lot of shootouts. But a good o-line helps also

Defense was on the field way too long this season, dog tired by the 4th quarter

a good of will make a good defense

4 hours ago, GandWFan said:

.  Out best draft in the past 2 decades we took Brick and Mangold in the 1st.  Worked out pretty good.  Since then, up until JD,  we have drafted a bunch of bums in the back of the draft.  How is that working out?

could have worked out much better if we didnt draft them.

instead of Brick at 4 we could have had

6th -TE Vernon Davis 2 PBs 583 career reps

11- QB Jay Cutler.... nice QB, better than Sanchez. 

12- DT Haloti Ngata..... we remember him as a good run stopper

19- CB Antonio Crowmartie.... i know we had him in 2010. but imagine if we had him in 2009?...what about 2008. we might have made the playoffs with 2 shutdown corners. 

20- DE Tamba Hali.....  wait who??? thats what i said until i seen his career 89 sacks including 14 in 2010. oh and 5 PBs

and for Mangold, we would still have Abraham if we didnt make that trade.

i know, i know. how could we ever win without these 2 guys. 

well let me tell you...

2nd rd 55th pick OT Andrew Whitworth. 2 AP, 2PB, 16 yr starter. 238 starts. if fact he started 14 games this year for the Rams.

4th rd 208th pick Jahri Evans. 4 AP, 6 PB, 12 yr starter. 183 starts.

you replace Brick with any of those names on top and draft one of those OL later we have a SB ring or two.

and if your wondering who is playing center, the next year in 2007 Ryan Kalil was drafted in the 2nd rd. and he had 5 PBs. 

point is its a waste of draft capital to draft an OL in the 1st. its much easier to find good PB OL is the later rds than it is any other position.

7 hours ago, funaz said:

Top 100 picks under Joe Douglas.

Becton

Mims

Davis

Zuinga

Wilson

AVT

Moore

Carter just outside the top 100 at 107.

Douglas has prioritized offense early on in his first two drafts.  Defense just gave up 500 points.  Have to address that as well.

• Upvote 1

they certainly don't need to use three of their top draft picks on oline.  they need an edge guy and a wr.  but from what i've read, there are many really good wr's this draft so they may have to over draft.  after edge is filled an olineman isn't out of the question but they need wr, te, lb a lot more.  they should draft additional oline in later rounds for depth.

5 hours ago, doitny said:

and i thought the guys who wanted one OL in the 1st 4 picks was crazy. but you want 3. smh.

did you even watch this season? the OL has been our best position.

today i saw a backup LT give up 2 maybe 3 sacks while replacing a guy (Fant) who gave up one all year.

please tell me how these top OL you guys want to draft stop free runners? 

how many sacks do you think are on our PS WRs who couldn't get open? what OL in the draft is going to help with that? 

drafting OL in the 1st rd is a waste of draft capital. why? cause you can beat the best OL. you can scheme around it. send free running CBs and Safetys. get coverage sacks.

the best way to protect your QB is to get him WRs and TEs who make you think twice to blitz cause you would have to cover them one on one and they would beat you. 

in this draft our defense is bad and we need to get one of those Edge rushers and then i would stay and get the best WR in this draft. or LB...or CB.... or whoever... anybody but an OL.

Agree with all this. It also would help if we played with a lead from time to time ... defenses can't tee off on rushing the passer every down if they have to respect the run game.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We dont need that many olineman.  Take Neal at 4, then take Jamesoon Williams at 10.

Then in round 2 take Mcbride the tight end and Isaiah Spiller the rb.

So many directions we can go, and your wish list is pretty good.. I would not be upset with his however a rb in the second round seems high for an offense that has made above average productivity out of no names