GVR: I'm an at or above average guard in the NFL.

GVR, a graduate of Chaminade Wharton, is entering his 9th year in the NFL in an NFL where the average player plays 3.3 years.

I thought he looked ok in the Gase scheme.   He had a good run.  My guess is that he gets cut so long as a draft pick or PSer can be better.  JD has not proven the ability yet to replace guys like Feeney, GVR, Edoga with guys who are better and are paid less.  That is a problem.  

• Upvote 2

For what its worth, PFF gives him a grade of 68, and the 30th best guard in the league.  Which puts him right in the middle of starting guards (AVT was 38th).

He started of the year really poorly, but definitely improved a lot as the year went by.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

In fairness, he did seem to choose his words carefully and did not say as a starter.  If you compare him to the piles of hot garbage throughout depth charts in the NFL who can't even get onto the field, including all of the guys on the Jets who were incapable of beating him out for the job, he may not be completely wrong.

It's like saying "I am at or above average of those in this room at not crapping myself" when it's half-filled with newborns.

Congratulations 

1 hour ago, Hael said:

For what its worth, PFF gives him a grade of 68, and the 30th best guard in the league.  Which puts him right in the middle of starting guards (AVT was 38th).

He started of the year really poorly, but definitely improved a lot as the year went by.

he improved so much that he got benched for a guy who was out of football for almost 2 years .

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Dudes in what his 8th season?  Played 70+ games, started 50?  Yeah, that's average to above avere.ag  He's not a starter, nor did he say he was, that's a good player.  You got to remember, there are more backups then starters and the average dude is out of the league in 3 years.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Married men after 10 years: I am an at or above average lover.

Wives:

Tired Britney Spears GIF

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/science-says-stop-infecting-other-people-with-better-than-average-effect.html

A meta-analysis of a number of studies shows that people rate themselves as above average in creativity, intelligence, dependability, athleticism, honesty, friendless, and on and on. Provide people with a survey about almost any trait and the vast majority will rate themselves above average.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Dudes in what his 8th season?  Played 70+ games, started 50?  Yeah, that's average to above avere.ag  He's not a starter, nor did he say he was, that's a good player.  You got to remember, there are more backups then starters and the average dude is out of the league in 3 years.

Based on the “above average effect” I referenced in my previous post, I’m gonna go ahead and assume GVR means he’s an above average STARTING guard, which would pretty clearly be inaccurate.  

GVR hasn’t exactly proven to be a humble guy based on his words and actions.  So I dunno why he’d get the benefit of the doubt on this one.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Serious The Four GIF by Diddy

Van Roten absolutely is an average or above average NFL guard.

Most guards in the NFL aren't starters, though. He's a RG; per OverTheCap, there are 110 right guards currently signed to contracts. I'm comfortable saying he's within the top 55 RGs in the league

• Thumb Down 1

31 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

He played 2 years in the CFL and has really been a back up.

JD bringing him in to start was one of only handful of really bad decisions he made.  

He is a very bad NFL football player at this point.

• Upvote 1