A fan from another forum talks to Tony P

Tony Tidbits

Today, 07:29 AM

From last nights conversation. Again, I am not saying these are all gospel or that I agreed w him on all of them...just passing them along.

1. Yes, Jets are making a Godfather offer to SF for Deebo. Hes not saying its a done deal...just saying the attempt is being made to overwhelm SF.
2. Thinks Jets top 4 targets are Ekwonu, Gardner, Walker, and JJ in that order.
3. Says Jets will NOT take Thibs...interest is a smoke screen.
4. Forget safety net...thinks Bechton is 100% gone if they draft a OT at 4 and 80% gone even if they dont. That the CS (not JD) is done w him, that they love Fant at LT and will draft a RT replacement if need be or could move AVT out there. (We argued on this one and I dont think he has any hard evidence that this is true)
5. Does not see Ekwonu as a great LT. Sees him as a all pro level OG, pro bowl level RT or solid LT. NOT a great LT
6. Very high on Gardner as an elite shut down CB1...says his ability to play with his back to the ball is what sets him apart.
7. Doesnt see Deebo as a great fit in our O. That Shanny had a unique way of using him and not sur LaF can do the same.
8. Loves Stingley but fears the foot
9. Thinks Walker can be the best pass rushing 43 DE in the game wht the right coaching...but see #15 below
10. Thinks Linderbaum will fall to rd 2 and he wants no part of him for the Jets. Small, short arms, got dominated in the Big10 title game.
11. Very high on JJ. Thinks he COULD fall to 10 but not likely.
12. Thinks 1-2-3 will be Ekwonu, Hutch, STINGLEY  and then the Jets take either Gardner or Walker at 4 if it falls that way.
13. Big Garret Wilson fan but thinks he will go 8 to Atl
14. Says if the Jets dont take an edge in rd 1 they should use the high 2 on the edge guy from Penn State. But agrees the annual passing on the elite edge rushers has become a bad joke.
15. As far as his Jets fandom, he has crossed over into Steppy Land. Once we stopped talking prospects and got into the Jets specifically he said none of this means jack sh*t because the Jets never get anything right, he has zero faith in this coaching staff and zero faith that Zach Wilson is the answer at QB. That JD got basically bullied by Woody into taking Wilson last year because he feared he would get fired if he went another year w Darnold and finished poorly. Sees no hope. Now this is a guy who has had season tickets for 45 years. A guy who has attended EVERY Jets home game since 1979. Whos vanity plate on his car is JetsFan1. And he's ready to pack it in once and for all. I sincerely hope Woody and the rest of the genius crew that runs that team realizes that they are a c*nt hair away from a large portion of this fanbase walking away if they F this up yet again.

That is all. I will probably talk to him once more before draft night and during the draft. T-Minus 36 hours!

• Sympathy 2

5 hours ago, hmhertz said:

6. Very high on Gardner as an elite shut down CB1...says his ability to play with his back to the ball is what sets him apart.

Am I wrong in saying that Saleh wants eyes TOWARDS the LOS with his secondary, not their backs to the QB?

This is the biggest thing about Sauce.  If this was Rex's defense and he wanted a Revis type, then Sauce ALL DAY LONG at #4.  This isn't really that type of defense.  Saleh wants to sack, hurry, pressure the QB, make the opposing QB run for his life and chuck a wobbly football while he's getting sacked.  That quacking duck is going to be picked off by guys in the secondary playing Zone (not Man) who are facing the LOS.

Please push back if I'm seeing this wrong but I think this has always been Saleh's approach.  Who were the stud CBs in SF?  They didn't have elite man-cover CBs there.  They invested in DLine with Bosa, Soloman Thomas, etc.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

7. Doesnt see Deebo as a great fit in our O. That Shanny had a unique way of using him and not sur LaF can do the same.

Yeah, I am not buying this. Shanny was able to make it work, but the guy that learned under Shanny and made Berrios work won't be able to get Deebo the ball? Okiedokie. 

Damn this motherf*cker is even more miserable than I am.

5. Does not see Ekwonu as a great LT. Sees him as a all pro level OG, pro bowl level RT or solid LT. NOT a great LT

If there's even a hint of truth to that and we take him at #4 everyone should be fired.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Pauline knows jack sh*te.  He's been throwing a lot out there over the past several months and hasn't hit anything yet, outside some Jets interest in the Center from TB pre-FA, which I have not seen validated.  In the same article/interview, he also claimed they were interested in Bozeman (Center) who signed on the cheap with another team and the Edge who ultimately left GB (who the Jets showed zero interest in).

Just now, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Pauline knows jack sh*te.  He's been throwing a lot out there over the past several months and hasn't hit anything yet, outside some Jets interest in the Center from TB pre-FA, which I have not seen validated.  In the same article/interview, he also claimed they were interested in Bozeman (Center) who signed on the cheap with another team and the Edge who ultimately left GB (who the Jets showed zero interest in).

Pauline kept saying the Jets were all in on Wink Martindale and that he was their alpha dog coach they coveted.

Never once mentioned Saleh as an option.

They never interviewed Wink.

• Sympathy 2

deebo deal may not happen until jet pick 10 is on the clock. 
if wilson avail he is a quick ankle breaker whose style fits the quick 2 step drop current trend.
or see if trade down avail and can grab burks mid round plus assets in trade.

1) The Jets affinity for Sauce and Icky are the only constants so its the only part of all of this that I believe.

2) If JD needed Woody to pressure him off of Darnold then all hope is lost. Also why does Pauline lament this?

3) Pauline’s wrongness is my favorite constant in Jets land.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

1) The Jets affinity for Sauce and Icky are the only constants so its the only part of all of this that I believe.

2) If JD needed Woody to pressure him off of Darnold then all hope is lost. Also why does Pauline lament this?

3) Pauline’s wrongness is my favorite constant in Jets land.

Wasn't it reported in an article that Douglas was the most willing out of everyone to move on from Darnold because of how much he liked Wilson? And the entire process was explained?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Grandy said:

Wasn't it reported in an article that Douglas was the most willing out of everyone to move on from Darnold because of how much he liked Wilson? And the entire process was explained?

But did you read what Tony Pauline said to a random fan from another message board?

• Haha 3

Most of this are Pauline's takes - which I appreciate being posted, but my concern is what he's saying about the Jets.  

Two things that jump out at me..

1) Offering a "godfather" package for Deebo - I assume this means more than #10 overall - sounds very un-JD like,  feels like someone else is in charge if that's the case.  

2) Taking JJ or Gardner at 4 would be awful (IMO)

3) Passing on Thib is going to be a mistake. - I'm still not buying it.

Easy to throw stuff like this out there and pretend to be an insider.

"Jets are going to offer the farm for Deebo"

No trade? 

Claim the Jets made the offer but SF was determined to keep him.

Can't prove him right, can't prove him wrong.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Most of this are Pauline's takes - which I appreciate being posted, but my concern is what he's saying about the Jets.  

Two things that jump out at me..

1) Offering a "godfather" package for Deebo - I assume this means more than #10 overall - sounds very un-JD like,  feels like someone else is in charge if that's the case.  

2) Taking JJ or Gardner at 4 would be awful (IMO)

3) Passing on Thib is going to be a mistake. - I'm still not buying it.

I think the Godfather offer is just not a thing. Doesn't exist, and never did because if it did we'd have Deebo. Rap is now saying we offered something close to the other WR offers (basically offered the Tyreek deal).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Am I wrong in saying that Saleh wants eyes TOWARDS the LOS with his secondary, not their backs to the QB?

This is the biggest thing about Sauce.  If this was Rex's offense and he wanted a Revis type, then Sauce ALL DAY LONG at #4.  This isn't really that type of defense.  Saleh's wants to sack, hurry, pressure the QB, make the opposing QB run for his life and chuck a wobbly football while he's getting sacked.  That quacking duck is going to be picked off by guys in the secondary playing Zone (not Man) who are facing the LOS.

Please push back if I'm seeing this wrong but I think this has always been Saleh's approach.  Who were the stud CBs in SF?  They didn't have elite man-cover CBs there.  They invested in DLine with Bosa, Soloman Thomas, etc.

Lots of holes in this conversation. Saleh mostly wants his CBs face to QB. He wants to blitz on 3r downs. So, some man coverage skills are needed.

We have the same system as SF. We dont have the same players which is why we deploy it different. Same with a team like GB. Saying Deebo doesnt fit our system is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Grandy said:

I think the Godfather offer is just not a thing. Doesn't exist, and never did because if it did we'd have Deebo. Rap is now saying we offered something close to the other WR offers (basically offered the Tyreek deal).

Which is all they should offer. 

I love Deebo, but Tyreek is better (maybe older, but definitely better) and ONLY the jets and fish were willing/able to get him. So it's highly unlikely the niners will get more than the Jets are offering. They have to find a team willing to give up the draft capital AND a team that can afford what Deebo wants. I am guessing the Jets are the only team seriously in the running and the Niners are just trying to milk the Jets for a little more. 

• Upvote 1