Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

48 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Nah, in all seriousness, I agree with him.  Zach had, what I felt, was his first “not so great day” today at practice.  I think a function of that is the defense for the reasons I listed above, but he’s still young and learning too, so there are things Flacco or White both see/know/understand that he doesn’t.  It would be silly to ignore that.

As I said before, Monday will be interesting because when the pads go on, you see more running plays which forces the defense to play more “honest”, and the OL can get more push.  The secondary sounds MUCH improved with Sauce and Reed, but if the OL can hold up more against the pass rush, longer routes can develop and the WRs can get more separation. When that happens, route runners like Elijah Moore and Garrett Wilson should flash more.

So, Zach was the worst QB in football against man to man and when pressured, and that seems to be continuing into this camp. The biggest quibble I had against drafting him was that he didn’t face pressure in college because all of his linemen were corn-fed 28 year olds, and we weren’t going to know how Wilson responded to a pass rush until he started games in the pros. We saw what that looked like. Can he improve on that? Maybe? But it’s not exceedingly likely because it’s largely instinctual, and Zach has awful instincts for the position. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

So, Zach was the worst QB in football against man to man and when pressured, and that seems to be continuing into this camp. The biggest quibble I had against drafting him was that he didn’t face pressure in college because all of his linemen were corn-fed 28 year olds, and we weren’t going to know how Wilson responded to a pass rush until he started games in the pros. We saw what that looked like. Can he improve on that? Maybe? But it’s not exceedingly likely because it’s largely instinctual, and Zach has awful instincts for the position. 

I agree with most of this, other than that I do think it's something that can be improved over time. Only so much of course (and we should continue to draft lineman) but I definitely think getting comfortable "in chaos" and responding better to pressure can be a learned trait... At the end of the day no QBs do well against pressure. It's more about making quick decisions and not getting rattled.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I’m about as worried about pass blocking without pads as I would be kicking and punting results without cleats.

Like sands through the hour glass, so go those who overreact to training camp events, especially this early on.  Only serious injuries are an issue at this point.

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Rich Gannon wasn’t good until his 13th season. Stop being so impatient.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Of course not.

Better question, do other fanbases live and dies with every tweet of a completion or incompletion?  

Yes. Steelers fans were heckling Trubisky and calling for Pickett after he went like 2-for-7 in end zone drills.

• Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yes. Steelers fans were heckling Trubisky and calling for Pickett after he went like 2-for-7 in end zone drills.

In fairness they’re going to call for Pickett over someone else’s failed QB no matter what he does.  The way Chicago called for Wilson even though he struggled in the preseason.  Fans always want the young kid in to see him play

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

In fairness they’re going to call for Pickett over someone else’s failed QB no matter what he does.  The way Chicago called for Wilson even though he struggled in the preseason.  Fans always want the young kid in to see him play

I can only answer the questions that are asked.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Robert Saleh has to win five games this season just to tie Adam Gase’s win total from two allegedly disastrous years coaching the Jets with the unspeakably bad Sam Darnold. The good news for Saleh fans is that, with the 17 game season, he’ll have had two extra games to try to get there, and with no Tom Brady in the division. So, good luck.

I meant just too easy for Zach with Russini.

he needs a better challenge than that

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

These are actual pressure.

Overall Zach still seems slower to process on certain plays than Flacco and White but I don't see if its a function of the coverage. 

My gut reaction is that the difference between them and Zach is experience but I'm not watching film so what do I know. 

Wish there was a little more substantial football knowledge coming out of the coverage. Like a bad pass by Zach is he not seeing the coverage, is he gunslinging, is it bad mechanics, what? It makes a big difference.

If the online is giving up sacks, does it look communication issues, bad technique, QB holding the all too long, one weak link in the chain, is the talent on the dline just superior? 

If I'm going to start foaming at the mouth I need a little more meat on these bones

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

yes, awe haven't seen those total breakdowns days that he a few of last year.  And the bad plays all seem to come in the redzone..

Something about zone in non real game situations...

A couple of things:

1) No real threat of running game in practice - allowing the D to play super tight 

2) You're not kicking FG's so ZW is going to be more aggressive in cases where you throw it away and take 3.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on it.

+1

We're going to play power football in the red zone anyway.  Zach's scores are going to come off play action and 10+ yard passes.

3 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Sauce on Elijah is a great match up. Looking forward to hearing more about them battling during TC. 

Absolutely.  Moore can create separation on anyone.  If Sauce can handle the little short shifty dude, then he's going to be all-world. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Zach trying to decide if he’d hit that

I would say it already happened. 

Her face is the "last night was great, are we on for round 2 tonight" face. 

Reminds me of this.. 

• Upvote 1