Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

3 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

In one way, Becton getting hurt early in camp gives JD/Saleh time to figure it out, and for our new oline to work together thru most of TC. Way better than losing Becton in the first game of the RS and having nothing in the works. Well, maybe. Moving Fant to LT and bringing in Moses turned out OK, other than our Van Rotten slash turnstile that let the oline down bigtime. 

I would agree with you, but this year we do not have a Morgan Moses.  And even if the Jets get Brown, from what I have heard, he's not as good.  This just sucks.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

OK. I'm going to go the same route as many here did with Becton.  Picking Gardner was a mistake.  Not because he's not good, but because there was a far greater need on the OL.  If this season is all about Wilson, then Becton being such a question mark demanded that they take another top OT in the draft.  CB is just not a position of importance in today's NFL and the Jets have enough bodies there to get the job done, particularly if the pass rush improves.  Tackles don't grow on trees though.  The Jets should have drafted Ekwonu with the #4 pick, not Gardner.  

They had the worst defense in football.  If by get the job done, you mean to line up 11 men on D, they had enough bodies to get the job done.  If you want to stop the other team?  Not even close. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know about using #4 on a tackle.......but maybe #10? We've been saying all camp we have an abundance of talent at WR and maybe should trade Mims. Or keep Mims as a starting WR and use #10 on a tackle? I love Garrett, but I love ZW having time to throw too.

Or maybe take sauce and garrett then trade back into the 1st for tackle we haven't talked about? Jeremian Johnson was a good grab, but that's another position we have too many players at already. 

1 minute ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I would agree with you, but this year we do not have a Morgan Moses.  And even if the Jets get Brown, from what I have heard, he's not as good.  This just sucks.

What have you read?  Brown isn't as good as Morgan Moses?   Brown was a pro bowl LT.  Last year.  Morgan Moses was 3rd team all-ACC in 2014.  Even PFF had Brown rated higher. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Ekwonu last i heard hadn't been able to establish himself at OT and was taking reps at guard for now - which was a possibility for him (long term OG)

Sauce was always the right pick and you revisionists need to get over it. 

Funny that the we shouldn’t have drafted a CB or the idea that CB is of no value in todays NFL, lol, take was nowhere to be found two days ago.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Ekwonu last i heard hadn't been able to establish himself at OT and was taking reps at guard for now - which was a possibility for him (long term OG)

Sauce was always the right pick and you revisionists need to get over it. 

Yep. It's the piece the casual fan kept ignoring, which is that he's more raw talent than any sort of polished technique pass pro wise. He has a high ceiling, and he still might even be able to play tackle, but it wasn't a gimme and Ekwonu struggling early is not that surprising. Like the great ones already do, Gardner is showing he can blanket anybody. I would make the same pick again if the draft was today and we know the situation.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

Brown made the Pro Bowl last year

Moses didn’t 

On "holding the ball too long":

First there have been very few instances reported.

Second they are installing an offense. Completing the play even if Zach would have scrambled or threw it away us something  the staff wants him to do at times. It's one of those meaningless criticism bombs people love for QBs like "bad footwork" "staring down the receiver" "stepping up in the pocket" etc...which mean nothing without context.

37 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

In one way, Becton getting hurt early in camp gives JD/Saleh time to figure it out, and for our new oline to work together thru most of TC. Way better than losing Becton in the first game of the RS and having nothing in the works. Well, maybe. Moving Fant to LT and bringing in Moses turned out OK, other than our Van Rotten slash turnstile that let the oline down bigtime. 

Perhaps we bring in Duane Brown, let him play LT (where he always has) and get George Fant to move back to RT for now.  

I think I have let it known that I am in Joe Douglas' camp, but I am wondering if his playing the position at one time is being a hindrance; like he thinks he can make it work because of his experience.

The tackle positions are a MESS, and that is coming from an ardent Douglas supporter.  This season will go down the drain pretty quickly if he doesn't work some magic on the phones over the next few weeks.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Funny that the we shouldn’t have drafted a CB or the idea that CB is of no value in todays NFL, lol, take was nowhere to be found two days ago.

Keep this same energy when Zach Wilson is getting ragdolled around the MetLife turf for the three to five games he’ll be healthy for. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Edoga often appears lethargic and almost disinterested to me.  He has always seemed to lack the killer instinct and the desire to just bury guys.

Hopefully, the opportunity to potentially start lights a fire under him.

Not that it should affect his play but I have never seen a picture of him where he doesn't look stoned out of his mind.

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

On "holding the ball too long":

First there have been very few instances reported.

Second they are installing an offense. Completing the play even if Zach would have scrambled or threw it away us something  the staff wants him to do at times. It's one of those meaningless criticism bombs people love for QBs like "bad footwork" "staring down the receiver" "stepping up in the pocket" etc...which mean nothing without context.

Yeah only one of the sacks was brought up as being clearly on Wilson. 

I think his 7/11 day is solid all things considered. He was terrible under pressure last year so even though he's been under a ton of fire by the d-line this camp (and even moreso today) he's still putting up good numbers. That's growth. 

1 hour ago, tfine said:

I never understood the “hold the ball to long” Brady can make a cup of coffee waiting for people to get open. I can see on like a draw play.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Tom Brady has the lowest "time to throw" in the league. He gets the ball out quick. I'm not sure perception meets reality in this particular instance. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sure we can.  It means a lot.  Completing passes in the face of a very good pash rush is a big step forward for Zach.  Getting rid of the ball - moving it forward (there were certainly reports of first downs and getting into positive territory) 

So going 7-11 and not looking particularly impressive is still a major step forward.

A year ago he doesn't go 7-11 under that kind of pressure...He goes 3 for 11 and people like me are defending him because there was too much pressure to be effective.

In a game where the OL has really bad moments - being able to move the ball - even to midfield and punt it deep is a big deal for QB's to be able to do.  

You know that he cant be hit in practice, right? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I almost hate to say it, but maybe look at bringing back Brandon Shell?  At least he's an experienced RT, like Moses was last year though not as good?

Jets need TWO OT at this time...a starter and a decent swing tackle, unless they feel that Max Mitchell is looking good.  Please don't pencil in Edoga or McDermott...

Teven Jenkins might be available as a risky/upside option...but what would the Bears want in return?

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Perhaps we bring in Duane Brown, let him play LT (where he always has) and get George Fant to move back to RT for now.  

I think I have let it known that I am in Joe Douglas' camp, but I am wondering if his playing the position at one time is being a hindrance; like he thinks he can make it work because of his experience.

The tackle positions are a MESS, and that is coming from an ardent Douglas supporter.  This season will go down the drain pretty quickly if he doesn't work some magic on the phones over the next few weeks.

A MESS?   All caps?  He took over a team that started Kelvin Beachum and Brandon Shell for years and before that Clady and Ijalana.  He replaced them with Becton and Fant.  Added Moses as depth and has kept tabs on veterans that are loose like Brown and Reiff.  Seems like sensible moves and an improvement.  He doesn't get any gold stars for the way this is working out, but it certainly seems an upgrade to me.  Do you guys really feel that Shell and Giacomini were so much better?  Those were guys we slated to start seasons with before any injuries.  Edoga and Benedict Cumberbunch or whoever have already started seasons and the team does not seem satisfied to roll with them at all.

• Upvote 1