Jets should trade for Brian Burns

T0mShane

2 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

Allen could be Q insurance. Payne is a free agent after this year and on a sweetheart rookie deal. 

Yes, Payne is on a sweetheart of a deal for the next 3 months and then he’s going to cash in.

And no way in hell should the Jets pay in the neighborhood of $20 million a year for two separate DT’s.

And I’m definitely not giving up a high draft pick for a 1 year rental.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Untouchable said:

Yes, Payne is on a sweetheart of a deal for the next 3 months and then he’s going to cash in.

And no way in hell should the Jets pay in the neighborhood of $20 million a year for two separate DT’s.

Curious. What package do you think Allen or Payne would demand? 

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Eh. They aren’t drafting QB next season, they don’t need CB or WR, and they’ve shown that they can cobble together the OT spots, so even if they’re sitting there at pick 7-9, they’d be targeting DE anyway. What’s the harm? 

I’m always up for improving the team in any way that makes sense.  Is Burns that much of an improvement over what we have now?   It’s not just draft picks that need to be considered, it’s how much will it take to re sign him.   There is a salary cap that we need to work with.   And is Burns the kind of guy they want in their locker room- why would Jacksonville trade away one of their best players?

Based on the last several games, it seems like our pass rush by committee is working and both Lawson and Huff have 2 of the fastest “ get offs” in the NFL.   We have already invested quite a bit in our D line.  If we really decide to do this could we trade JJ for Burns straight up?  

If it was up to me, I’d like to see this lines production for the next few weeks and see if we have a chance to make the playoffs prior to making any trade.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

4 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

I think Payne is on the same level as Leonard Williams… maybe a third for him? Just spit balling here. 

5 minutes ago, GangGreen Machine said:

I’d be shocked if either went for less than a 2nd.

They’re both high quality DT’s smack dab in the prime of their careers.

The only thing that could possibly diminish their trade value is the fact that they’re both in line for big contracts.

Just now, Untouchable said:

I’d be shocked if either went for less than a 2nd.

They’re both high quality DT’s smack dab in the prime of their careers.

The only thing that could possibly diminish their trade value is the fact that they’re both in line for big contracts.

I’d offer a third and some change/mims for either one of them. Keep moving if the market demands higher than that. 

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Eh. They aren’t drafting QB next season, they don’t need CB or WR, and they’ve shown that they can cobble together the OT spots, so even if they’re sitting there at pick 7-9, they’d be targeting DE anyway. What’s the harm? 

I don’t think Burns is *that* good I guess to be confident he’s going to be worth a top pick and a second contract. Plus you don’t know how he fits in the locker room, don’t really have any feel for how he’ll be after he gets paid, and you’re giving up the opportunity to have four cheap years on a guy for that. I guess comparing him to the WR’s who went for #1’s last year the comparison would be to Brown - age, second contract - and I’m not sure Burns has played to Brown’s level.

And I think the Jets could use another pass rusher but I don’t think they need one to the point they can’t miss on the guy. So I think they can just draw a line in the sand and that’s where I’d draw it. Obviously it’s arbitrary and everybody can pick a different spot for it, but that’s what I’d lean towards.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Part of it is they'd be giving up the DP and a crap ton of cap space...but that's just me.  But I wouldn't protest too much I guess.

But I do want another OT in a bad way.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Roquan Smith would be my vote.  Bears may be selling.  They also need athletic WRs desperately so could be a nice new home for Mims to offset some of the trade cost.

This is what i was thinking about last night.  Depending on cost smith would be a good get, a real need.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Jets should NOT trade for Brian Burns.

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Why not ?

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We just drafted JJ.  We dont need Burns.  You dont just trade away premium picks cause a good player is available.  There is a plan we are executing here.  

Joe Douglas told us how hes building this.  Through the draft.

Parting w/ premium picks is the last thing Joe D would do.

Your terrible takes and rationalizations are exhausting and rather unimaginative. 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Roquan Smith would be my vote.  Bears may be selling.  They also need athletic WRs desperately so could be a nice new home for Mims to offset some of the trade cost.

Also into this. I’d give them Corey Davis and a pick right now. It’s not happening for Mims, probably at all. He’ll walk as FA eventually. Not seeing a team acquire him.

First team all pro, 24 years old, already 4 sacks this year. My only question is can he set the edge. This is what we wish we could get from Lawson, JJ, etc. If the price is right, you gotta go for it. He's not even in his prime yet.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We just drafted JJ.  We dont need Burns.  You dont just trade away premium picks cause a good player is available.  There is a plan we are executing here.  

Joe Douglas told us how hes building this.  Through the draft.

Parting w/ premium picks is the last thing Joe D would do.

Amazon Miami GIF by NFL On Prime Video

JD didn’t get the memo!

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Carl Lawson plus premium draft picks > Burns.

Trading for Burns and cutting Lawson would make the jets worse.

Burns is younger, a better athlete and has 7.5 more sacks than Lawson in his career in two fewer years in the league.

I understand the draft asset argument, but you're also getting younger and better at one of the most important positions in the sport.

The need for an offensive tackle is the only problem I see here. But there is always that caveat with draft picks where you never know what you're getting from say an offensive tackle at a mid-teens pick as opposed to the known quantity in Brian Burns @ edge.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Rumors afoot that the Panthers are going into fire sale mode and don’t want to pay Burns at the end of the year (Fitterer had that weird comment earlier this offseason about not paying Burns, too). IMO, Burns isn’t Von Miller, but he’s an extremely athletic pass rusher who could be the big finishing piece to unlock this defense. I would absolutely consider giving up a 2023 one and change for this dude. 

We have 4 DE's that we rotate why bring in the high priced guy ? Lawson looks like he's about to break out after getting his confidence back after Achilles. Huff is creating very good pressure Clemons is still finding his way but can make some plays and when Johnson comes back that 4 man rotation will be killer in the 4th Quarter. This situation will get better as the season goes on. If we are going to spend on anything it should be at LB or T everywhere else we seem to be set with good depth. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Also into this. I’d give them Corey Davis and a pick right now. It’s not happening for Mims, probably at all. He’ll walk as FA eventually. Not seeing a team acquire him.

I'm not a big Corey Davis guy but the last few games the guy seems to be moving forward a bit and Zach loves to target him is now the time to disrupt our young QB ?

• Upvote 2