Name A Worse Day In Franchise History

57 minutes ago, chirorob said:

"I introduce the new coach of the NY Jets, Mr. Rich Kotite."

Bird’s injury being the worst for me but this is a close 2nd.

add in I want a disciplinarian and he brings that buffoon in here just took all of the life out if you.

even with gase you at least had hope that he could work with darnold.

kotite it was root for losses until he was gone

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Bird’s injury being the worst for me but this is a close 2nd.

add in I want a disciplinarian and he brings that buffoon in here just took all of the life out if you.

even with gase you at least had hope that he could work with darnold.

kotite it was root for losses until he was gone

Yes, agree.  The popular, well like player being paralyzed for life was far and away the worst day in the history of the franchise.  Shame on my for not putting that first.

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

Yes, agree.  The popular, well like player being paralyzed for life was far and away the worst day in the history of the franchise.  Shame on my for not putting that first.

I was not judging in any way.

you can’t take away the injury obviously but if you could, the hiring of that knucklehead would be 1

• Upvote 1

This is the karma wheel spinning around. Now you younger guys won't know this but there was a 2000 yard RB on the Broncos in the 1990's his name was Terrell Davis and in the 4th game of the 1999 season Davis got hit in the legs by a Jets defender and it essentially ended his career as a running back. Guess who was back in that stadium yesterday? Anyone? 

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, tommyduhamelshouse said:

I can not think of one.

Asks people to name an example.

2 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Vinny T tearing his achilles on opening day in '99.

An example is provided.

2 hours ago, tommyduhamelshouse said:

worse? really?

worse than losing our two best offensive players (by a country mile) after an absolutely SHOCKING 5-2 start?

Outrage ensues.

• Haha 4

Opening day vinnie blows achillies
This.

If you were alive and a Jets fan in 99 it will top your list (or at least should).

We were SB favorites, the Broncos beat us in the AFCCG the previous year (barely) but now Elway was retired and we were ready to make it happen....until Vinny's season ending injury in the first half of the first game vs New England (ofcourse).

That was straight devastating.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

Ranked just below the injury to VT, yesterday’s season ending injuries to 2 star players after a promising 4-2, now 5-2 start, ..ranks 2nd all-time, imo.

I know there were seasons impacted by injuries to Namath..but I don’t remember the context…back in my early to mid teen years.

3 hours ago, WILLY said:

Especially in 1998 - up10-0 at halftime in the AFC championship game.  Some of us remember "the fumble" in the 3rd quarter as the Jets were driving to go up by at least 2 touchdowns on John Elway. WAY WORSE.

The jets were up 3-0 at halftime. It was 10-0 after the blocked punt early in the 3rd quarter. 

and the jets never fumbled with a chance to go up by 2 TDs - the fumbles by Martin and Byars were in the 1st half with the game scoreless. After Denver cut the lead to 10-7 in the 3rd, we botched the short kickoff and they recovered. 

we then fumbled again later in the game (In the 4th quarter) when we were driving down 20-10 (Alex van dyke). 

vinny then threw 2 picks in what was essentially garbage time 

3 hours ago, JTJet said:

Buttfumble. End of story. This isnt up for debate. 

It depends on what you qualify as "worst day". Do you include just injuries? Moments? Etc?

That ******* game went down in the NFL zeitgeist instantly and became a forever meme that we have just barely started to recover from a decade later. 

For christ sake it has it's own ******* wikipedia page

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butt_Fumble

For a casual NFL fan this was a big moment and ESPN loved it. Not even close for a Jet fan. Playoff heart break / injuries like Vinny hurts more than the butt fumble down 30 in a blowout 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, tommyduhamelshouse said:

I can not think of one.

Are you serious - how old are you? OMG - talk about over reactions. Here are a few way more upsetting:

1. Mud Bowl AFC Title Game against Dolphins (Shula keeps tarp off field so Jets passing attack would be grounded)
2. Playoff loss to Browns after Gastineau roughing the passer penalty up 10 late in 4th quarter
3. Vinny ruptures achilles in first game in year we could have won Super Bowl

I could go on - losing to Lions to get in to playoffs...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/24/2022 at 5:01 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

BB resigning is the correct answer.

But the Jets winning the announcer-less game against the Dolphins cost us the #2 OA pick that the Giants used to draft LT.  That probably cost us at least 2 Super Bowls.

Really?  It cost us two SB's...and you how do you know that?  Because he won multiple SB's with the Patsies...that's rich.  How about putting on your thinking cap if you have one and realize that a player being paralyzed on the field is worse.  That really happened!  Not some fantasy dream you have.

dennis-byrd-injury.jpg

10 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Really?  It cost us two SB's...and you how do you know that?  Because he won multiple SB's with the Patsies...that's rich.  How about putting on your thinking cap if you have one and realize that a player being paralyzed on the field is worse.  That really happened!  Not some fantasy dream you have.

dennis-byrd-injury.jpg

Re-read my post.  I'm talking about Lawrence Taylor.

1 hour ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

dennis-byrd-injury.jpg

To be fair, the title of the tread is "name a worse day in franchise history." That's what we call a target-rich environment.