Seriously, Geno Smith is outplaying the majority of NFL QBs rn

Paradis

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Kudos to Geno Smith, it seems this could be for real. I was thinking he was just on a hot streak to start the year and then he'd come back down to earth. He's been better than Russell Wilson this year so far lol 

we all did, dude. In the past he's flashed for a few quarters, even a couple games... but we all assumed  it would catch up with him in hollywood fashion, but instead its been the opposite. He's been the same guy, every week. Smart, smooth and effective. 

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

But then again the Jets couldn't wait 9 years for him to develop. Could they? 

No. I don’t think there is any sense of shame or shortsightedness there. The jets don’t foster QB development very well, certainly not at that time/management era. 

i think the takeaway (besides good for him) is that conceptually “veteran QBs” shouldn’t be dismissed outright. Right time right place, sometimes it works. 

Ftr I had a Geno jersey and was bummed that he flamed out 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I know it's been sort of hokey/novelty topic around here, but he's pretty much locked up the comeback player of the year award and he just keeps making these ridiculous throws. It's ironic given our current situation, but you gotta give up for the man. He's been one of the top 5 consistent week-to-week Quarterbacks in the NFL in 2022. 

Like, have you watched Geno play this year? Insane! 

MVP

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Paradis said:

I know it's been sort of hokey/novelty topic around here, but he's pretty much locked up the comeback player of the year award and he just keeps making these ridiculous throws. It's ironic given our current situation, but you gotta give up for the man. He's been one of the top 5 consistent week-to-week Quarterbacks in the NFL in 2022. 

Like, have you watched Geno play this year? Insane! 

Hard to see him winning CPotY, as he was never any good in the first place. He’s not coming back, he’s having his first ever success. 

Regardless it IS quite amazing. A guy sucks for 10 years, barely earns the starting job,  then suddenly becomes all-pro level? Unheard of, frankly.

• Upvote 2

Geno always had talent, remember his perfect rating 158.3 game vs Miami? He was an immature jerk who didn't undertand the intricacies of playing QB. I like watching him play, good for him. 

Zach has incredible talent too, he also is immature and has no clue how to play QB in the NFL. He should be on the bench, honestly. Obviously, we can't wait 10yrs for him to develop though, LOL. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, Barkus said:

Geno always had talent, remember his perfect rating 158.3 game vs Miami? He was an immature jerk who didn't undertand the intricacies of playing QB. I like watching him play, good for him. 

Zach has incredible talent too, he also is immature and has no clue how to play QB in the NFL. He should be on the bench, honestly. Obviously, we can't wait 10yrs for him to develop though, LOL. 

Zach and Geno have gotten off to similar starts to their career. Geno had more really good games than Zach, but also a few more absolute stinkers. If you recall Genos best stretch of play as a Jet came after he was benched in his second year. 

unfortunately we never got to see if Geno could build off of that stretch. 

• Upvote 4

Part of why it took him 10 years is because he never got a second opportunity. He played well in the times he got a chance to play last year for Seattle. Then aside from last year and after leaving the Jets, he got 1 start with the Giants in 2017.

The other parts are maturity and probably finding a system that work for him.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BallinPB said:

I've been watching Geno this year.  It's crazy to see how good he is playing.  He's not just playing good actually, he's playing on the level of Mahomes and Allen.  

He could've easily had 300 yards with 4 TDS yesterday if it wasn't for key drops.  I mean Lockett was wide open for a walk-in 40 yard TD and he just dropped it.  

Moreover, some of the passes Geno is making is elite level QB throws.  He's not waiting for the WR to break before he throws it perfectly to where it needs to be.  He's dropping dimes in tight coverage.  Throwing balls super well on the move.  

He's also matured into a leader.  After that Lockett drop you saw Geno on the sideline giving him a pep talk.  Came back to him in the 4th for redemption TD pass.  

The guy is playing lights out right now.  

I selected him in both of my leagues because I had him as a deep sleeper QB. The reasoning was that it would allow me to use premium picks for other spots and I'd still be able to get at least average production from the QB position with Geno in the 12 - 15 rounds. 

Never did I expect this type of play through the first 8 weeks though. He's giving me top 5 play on throwaway picks.

You're right on about his play too. IRL, he's even better than his fantasy production would suggest. It's incredible to watch. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, greenwichjetfan said:

I selected him in both of my leagues because I had him as a deep sleeper QB. The reasoning was that it would allow me to use premium picks for other spots and I'd still be able to get at least average production from the QB position with Geno in the 12 - 15 rounds. 

Never did I expect this type of play through the first 8 weeks though. He's giving me top 5 play on throwaway picks.

You're right on about his play too. IRL, he's even better than his fantasy production would suggest. It's incredible to watch. 

Agreed and it's not even an exaggeration.  Some of his throws you'd expect from prime Aaron Rodgers.  It is indeed incredible and top level QB play.  

Also the TD pass int he 4th to Lockett was a thing of beauty.  You see Geno with the fake and the cornerback bites and he perfectly fits a ball right into Tyler Lockett.  This is the level of QB all football fans should appreciate and admire.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BallinPB said:

Also the TD pass int he 4th to Lockett was a thing of beauty.  You see Geno with the fake and the cornerback bites and he perfectly fits a ball right into Tyler Lockett.  This is the level of QB all football fans should appreciate and admire.  

Dropping dimes.

9 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Took awhile but maybe sitting behind guys like Eli, Phillip Rivers and Russell Wilson and watching how they prepared, how they treated their teammates he learned some things.

And no there is no team out there that would wait 9 years for a qb to develop.

Also possible that getting punched in the face for being a jerk helped. Sometimes getting beat up can be a good thing.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Barkus said:

I remember that game like yesterday and even though it was an end of the year garbage time game, every throw he made that day was a rope, perfectly timed and placed.  He must have been amped because it was in Miami (where he’s from), and I told myself that the Jets should keep that kind of talent on the roster even if you can’t start him.  He was showing why at one time he was consensus to be the first pick in the draft but then fell to the 2nd Rd.

He didn’t make it in his other stops before Seattle so you can’t ding the Jets too much.

Glad to see him play so well.

People saying he sucked for 10 years arent really being accurate.

Geno sucked his first 2 years no doubt, but this is the first time he has gotten another shot since then. He looked good last season in the games he started. 

Who knows what Genos third season could have looked like throwing to that decker/marshall duo.

He shouldnt have started as a rookie. He was immature and clearly not ready. But rex decided putting sanchez into the end half of a preseason game was a smart thing to do.

We really dont know if he could have been this guy 5 years ago if he had ever gotten a chance.

Happy for him though. You dont see stories like this often. 

• Post of the Week 1