So, does Jermaine Johnson suck?

Facts

19 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

No you're still wrong. And posting an article from a guy that has a vendetta against the jets organization and hates every draft pick they make doesn't make you right. 

He called Breece an Adrian Peterson clone, named Garrett Wilson the best WR in the draft, and predicted Sauce would be the top cover corner in the league within 2 years. He may be all those things you say but so far he’s looking prescient.

21 hours ago, Facts said:

NFL SCOUT SAYS JETS MADE A MISTAKE DRAFTING JERMAINE JOHNSON

…former Jets scout thinks New York was wrong to trade up for Johnson in the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft, breaking down his game film so far this season.

This season there has been so much talk about the Jets' 2022 draft class, but we have not heard much about Jermaine Johnson. The rookie defensive end has been relatively quiet this season… On the season, Johnson has notched a domestic 12 solo tackles and 2.5 sacks (tied 101st).

Is it time to panic? Yes, the game film says it is. Johnson lacks the necessary power, speed and pass rushing moves to be elite in the National Football League. In passing situations, he either runs straight into the offensive tackle or tries to bend the edge and get through the back door of the pocket. Neither attempted route to the quarterback has worked well.

That's not what I think, it's what he has put on game film. Am I surprised? Not one bit. Why? In a January pre-draft article, I put a fifth-round grade on Johnson.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/article269583397.html#storylink=cpy

Oh you're back!

Great week from JJII incoming!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Facts said:

yeah, just what you want from your first round pick… his only contribution in weeks is a SPECIAL TEAMS PLAY.

Yeah, that totally ends the thread *eye roll*

For a guy with just 199 snaps so far in his career, 2.5 sacks, 3 QB Hits, 3 TFLs, 3 QB Pressures and a Safety recorded is not too shabby.  

And Special Teams contributions should never be dismissed.  Any versatility is welcomed on a roster that depends on it. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/15/2022 at 3:40 PM, ncjetman said:

i really miss the good posters on this board

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

We lost then all to scout.com?

On 12/15/2022 at 11:26 AM, RoadFan said:

No, he absolutely does not suck.  JJ is a good all-around player.

Nevertheless, I preferred Karlaftis in the draft who has not surprisingly turned out to be a better pass rusher.  

I think Karlaftis will be a better pass rusher.  I just think Johnson will be a better every down DE with all the wide 9.  If all they want is a pass rusher they would just play Huff more.

• Upvote 1

Trading up in the 1st to get this guy at the behest of saleh would just make me as douglas to tell saleh to sit in the corner on draft day.

I like the player, he is going to be pretty good most likely but if you are trading up to get a guy and then give him very limited snaps then you have an large issue saleh.  This is not some mid round pick, we traded up to get him.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 2

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For a guy with just 199 snaps so far in his career, 2.5 sacks, 3 QB Hits, 3 TFLs, 3 QB Pressures and a Safety recorded is not too shabby.  

And Special Teams contributions should never be dismissed.  Any versatility is welcomed on a roster that depends on it. 

A sack, QB hit and a TFL is all the same thing. So he has 3 good plays all year? lol.

On 12/15/2022 at 3:10 PM, Facts said:

That sack on Allen (which was really just a tackle that happened a yard behind the LOS as Allen was running around the edge) was HALF of his ENTIRE sack total for the YEAR.

Glad he's contributing on special teams though. Thats what you want out of your 1st rounder.

Confirmed Troll… Ice him out boys! Radio silence…

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Update: he's a rookie playing limited snaps. 

You're still an idiot for calling a rookie a bust, I don't care what his production looks like. Talk to us at the end of next season.

Doesn’t take a genius to see the obvious.

40 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

"his sack on Allen was pretty much just a tackle behind the LOS" 

this guy serious? 

My point was that it wasn’t like a 10 yard loss sack where he showed great pass rushing skills by beating the OT.

It was a play where he beat Allen to the edge during a scramble and made a normal couple yard loss tackle. No pass rush skills were used.

And that was 1 of his 2 “sacks” for the entire season. Karlaftis was drafted after him and has double that.

4 minutes ago, Facts said:

Bingo. 

People are starting to slowly see the light. Others take longer lol.

Like those who don’t understand that EDGE, DE are some of the positions with the longest learning curve.  But they just wanted it to come quickly.  

9 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Dude. There is a HUGE difference between calling a rookie "less impactful" and a "bust". Nobody is seeing your light. 

It's still ridiculous to write off a rookie as a bust. 

Karlaftiswas drafted after him and has double the sacks. Same amount of time to learn.

5 hours ago, the Claw said:

Karlaftis has played a lot more snaps. Like, a lot a lot. More than twice as many. He’s played 650 snaps and JJ has played around 250. 

Some people will stick to their point even when proven mostly false.  OP seems to be one of them.  Move on guys :)   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Facts said:

Yes, good players get to play more.

That is a great point if it were true in this case.

Karlaftis: 1 sack every 144 snaps 

1 solo tackle every 43 snaps

1 asstd tackle every 50 snaps

1 qb hit every 72 snaps

1 tfl every 108 snaps

0 safeties

JJ:            1 sack every 100 snaps

1 solo tackle every 14 snaps

1 asstd tackle every 27 snaps

1 qb hit every 83 snaps

1 tfl every 83 snaps

1 safety

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, the Claw said:

That is a great point if it were true in this case.

1 qb hit every 72 snaps

1 tfl every 108 snaps

0 safeties

1 qb hit every 83 snaps

1 tfl every 83 snaps

1 safety

OK, but it's not like JJ is playing in a rotation with other good players at DE (Lawson, Huff, JFM), unlike Karlaftis who is playing ahead of all-world talent like Mike Danna

• Upvote 1

I liked the Penn State kid probably the most in that range. Think he’s on Atlanta. Jets just haven’t been great at evaluating edges. Douglas included. Zuniga was a stiff and Highsmith was on the board. That’s a brutal evaluation. No excuses for that other than a lazy scout process. That being said I think JJ has been pretty good for a rookie. Ruckert not sniffing the field either is probably a bigger eyebrow raiser than JJ.

On 12/16/2022 at 8:22 PM, Beerfish said:

Trading up in the 1st to get this guy at the behest of saleh would just make me as douglas to tell saleh to sit in the corner on draft day.

I like the player, he is going to be pretty good most likely but if you are trading up to get a guy and then give him very limited snaps then you have an large issue saleh.  This is not some mid round pick, we traded up to get him.

So what Beer?  We gave up a fifth-round pick, moved down 32 spots in round 3, and STILL picked up a good prospect. The 163rd pick was Braxton Jones.  BIG deal breaker.  Sometimes it seems like you are finding ways to bitch about Joe Douglas.  Johnson has played QUITE well for limited snaps.   Even if we had taken Kayvon Thibodeaux instead of Sauce, he would have been on a pitch count. Would you have preferred spending the number 4 overall pick playing (probably at best) 50 percent of the snaps, or the 26th pick playing 30 percent of the snaps for 12 more solo tackles, 2 forced fumbles and a 1/2 sack more?  Perhaps a blocked punt and a safety helps erase those 2 forced fumbles Johnson hasn't got.  

4 hours ago, Facts said:

Yes, good players get to play more.

If ONLY your commentary lived up to your name.  

Will leave this again in case you didn't read it the first time.

1 qb hit every 72 snaps

1 tfl every 108 snaps

0 safeties

1 qb hit every 83 snaps

1 tfl every 83 snaps

1 safety

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

OK, but it's not like JJ is playing in a rotation with other good players at DE (Lawson, Huff, JFM), unlike Karlaftis who is playing ahead of all-world talent like Mike Danna

And has two....2....TWO more sacks playing full time.  

Again, if you want to bitch about production, I can give you a list of players who would beat out Jermaine Johnson from a production stand point in comparison to how much they play.  I mean, I can think of a quarterback, a linebacker, a punter, a safety, a left guard, .........

• Upvote 1