No one thinks ZW is getting benched

PorP

I watched probably 10 shows and maybe 30 hosts on this topic.  Kyle brandt was the only one all day today who thought Mike White would start Sunday. 

IDK, I know Saleh is into the seals and I know thier leadership mantra is praise in public,  reprimand in private along with keep all problems possible in house. 

It wasn't an emotional response because that response was "is furthest thing from my mind".

Rich Eisen equated it to a warning but I simply don't see the value in that warning being public versus in house. It just doesn't mean more public versus the HC threatening to bench you in his office.  

I think there is a good chance we saw ZW for the last time.... save some type of faux QB competition ZW "wins" this week. 

Outside of that I can't find value in making this public and then starting him anyway. It puts negative spotlight on the locker room you know Saleh doesn't want. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BigRy56 said:

Zach will absolutely start. Monday was a warning shot. The Jets are pretty well favored on Sunday - if Zach stinks against the 30th ranked defense 3-8 Bears, he will get yanked.

I highly doubt that will happen. The Jets will win handily and then we can revisit the topic during the Vikings game, which is a much more likely place to get sat at halftime.

It doesn't make sense.  If you're in your bosses bosses boss office and you are being told do right or bye bye....

How is that different than putting it in a company wide memo. 

Other than the embarrassment factor,  it's not,  both are just as serious. 

8 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Zach will absolutely start. Monday was a warning shot. The Jets are pretty well favored on Sunday - if Zach stinks against the 30th ranked defense 3-8 Bears, he will get yanked.

I highly doubt that will happen. The Jets will win handily and then we can revisit the topic during the Vikings game, which is a much more likely place to get sat at halftime.

So crazy we can talk about games we should win... its been a while (wipes happy tear from eye)

Also this talk has been going around the past day or two. Screams trap game material... Hope I'm dead wrong.  

22 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Wilson stans really need to listen to Richard Sherm here:

This is pretty much how I feel. Saleh cannot start to him the way he has been playing and after his comment. He’s risking losing the locker room.

I also don’t see Woody or JD objecting if indeed the decision goes through them.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They won't bench him. Too many people have invested too much in this player to walk away. It's sunk cost fallacy in action 

You are probably correct…and I would’ve agreed with you. But that post-game press response still sticks in my craw, and I bet it does to Saleh too. Saleh’s all about team and that could be a deciding factor …but I have no idea what may transpire inside 1 Jets Drive this week. Maybe Zach offers a mea culpa. Who knows. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW, Cimini said today on his pod that his original belief was that Zach wouldn’t get benched, but information he’s gained since then leads him to believe it’s very possible. According to Rich, Zach’s “attitude” has been an issue inside the building for multiple weeks now. 

The only thing I would count on from Cimini is for him to put out the most controversial option and story as possible. He is a douchebag.  And if I were a player or a team official, he would be the last person I would confide in.  

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

My take here.  JD wants him to start tomorrow and for the rest of the season.  Saleh is/was ambivalent about it up until the signs of revolt and now wants to bench Wilson.  JD was in opposition.  1 v1.  Woody wants to bench ZW.  Yesterday's long meeting was Woody tipping the scales with JD pushing back hard, but losing out.  

Either Mike White starts, or they reached the compromise that White gets time with the first team this week and he prepares as a starter would.  Wilson gets yanked early if he makes a critical mistake, or he gets yanked at halftime if he keeps missing money.

That's what we have going on.

White either starts the game or finishes it.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

They won't bench him. Too many people have invested too much in this player to walk away. It's sunk cost fallacy in action 

benching him isn't walking away. the all-or-nothing take is the fallacy.

ZW clearly needs to be coached as he's still a project. He was raw coming out and he's still raw esp with the injuries to him and the entire Offense. But if done right you keep him around until he develops into the guy that can come in off the bench, this year, next year, the year after...

the concept of sunk cost (and any competitive window) for all phases of the game -- O, D, ST, CS -- versus just for ZW is the reason the organization right now is thinking of putting the brakes on the ZW experiment.

There's too much invested and too much success over the entire team to justify any sunk-cost Zach Wilson homerism from the front office. 

• Upvote 2

What Richard said is what should happen but these are the Jets and we know they won't happen. Zachey boy will start and the Jets will probably beat them handily and Zach will once again walk around like he's BMOC, but no Mike White SHOULD get the start because as far as I am concerned and as far as I can see this guy is done. he sucks. Let's give the next man up a chance, the SAME chance that the punk was given, give White 20 games and if he can win, he's the Jets QB going forward. I believe Mike White can become  a solid starter in the NFL. I do NOT think that Zach Wilson will even be in the league in a couple of years.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

FWIW, Cimini said today on his pod that his original belief was that Zach wouldn’t get benched, but information he’s gained since then leads him to believe it’s very possible. According to Rich, Zach’s “attitude” has been an issue inside the building for multiple weeks now. 

That is interesting because attitude is all important to Robert Saleh. Ironically, Saleh loves the Navy Seals and he has a QB that is about as far removed from what it takes to be a Seal as humanly possible. If Wilson is benched I think it is the nail in his coffin. If they felt there was some hope he was the franchise QB they seek, they would continue to play him. 

Frankly, I just want the Jets brain trust to render a judgment on Wilson. either they think he is the guy or he isn't. Just make the call and move on to plan B if he is not the guy.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mike G said on GFMB yesterday he has a friend in the organization who was telling him about ZW issues in and out of the locker room during OTAs, TC and preseason. 

My mind automatically went to the one WR (GW?) when ZW got hurt saying Flacco throws a catchable ball. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

do you know how humiliating it would be if he got pulled in game in front of 80,000 Jet fans? if you think his confidence is bad now it will be totally f@cked then. if he starts he is finishing the game unless we get blown out which i cant see on defense letting that happen no matter how bad he is. 

i still think he gets benched. Flacco will start sunday.

I believe they wanted to keep him on the bench last year but JD said no. That was the right decision at the time.

I'm positive Saleh wants to bench Zach. The only way Zach starts is if it's in "the best interest of the organization" which is code for JD/Woody stepping in once again. JD is no dummy, he knows this team is being held back by Zach.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tdoublee said:

I believe they wanted to keep him on the bench last year but JD said no. That was the right decision at the time.

I'm positive Saleh wants to bench Zach. The only way Zach starts is if it's in "the best interest of the organization" which is code for JD/Woody stepping in once again. JD is no dummy, he knows this team is being held back by Zach.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I don't think Saleh wants to bench ZW, it's just that he has no other options. Mike White? He's a gamble. Saleh's plan was to have a another development year but the team is ahead of the curve. They are ready to compete now, a year ahead at least of where they thought. 

Saleh is definitely dealing with turmoil in the locker room as reality is in conflict with the team's prior expectations.

Saleh has no real "good options" here.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

That is interesting because attitude is all important to Robert Saleh. Ironically, Saleh loves the Navy Seals and he has a QB that is about as far removed from what it takes to be a Seal as humanly possible. If Wilson is benched I think it is the nail in his coffin. If they felt there was some hope he was the franchise QB they seek, they would continue to play him. 
Frankly, I just want the Jets brain trust to render a judgment on Wilson. either they think he is the guy or he isn't. Just make the call and move on to plan B if he is not the guy.

Well said. Honestly, i just want wins. I could care less how it looks or whom is responsible in the end. Just win games and let us enjoy some post season action.
  • Upvote 2